Awoo.

Sonic fans, I'm curious. Why do you continue to support the Sonic franchise when SEGA struggles to keep the quality consistent? What's keeping you around?

nilesdobbs

The games have a nice unique energy to them.
A unique combination of Anime, cartoon and stupid action B movie is a cocktail that just creates so much fun energy, silly premises and endless inspiration for jokes, stories, adventures  that I can't possible think of a single other franchise that has this style to it.
It grew beyond being a more game, it's an experience, which is why the occasional bad game doesn't ruin the fun, there's way more going on beneath the surface then just platform game #4958.

And yeah, it sucks when the gameplay is terrible most of the time, but MAN, when they get it right, Sonic's gameplay provides spectacle and amazement soaring past any other franchise I know with it's dynamite arcade action. At this point I see at as standing in line for a rollercoaster. Yeah, the waiting sucks, there's puke everywhere and annoying people around you in line, but that's all forgiven when you're finally in that rollercoaster, even if it only lasts for 2/ 3 minutes.
Yeah, a ton of Sonic gameplay is meh (Altough honestly I find most of it reasonably accepteble), but it's all worth it for the fleeting moments of awesome.
I much rather have a flawwed game with occasional moments of brilliance then a game that strives for perfection non stop and just becomes kinda boring and predictable instead.
Sorry Mario, you're clearly superior then Sonic but I find you boring most of the time.

• Thumbs Up 4

idk really i guess its because the franchise game me so many good memories as a child ive grown emotionally attached to it and want it to succeed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic's recent entries have been a lot of fun. Cheap, mindless fun, but fun nonetheless. I pre-ordered Forces in digital form, because I know that once I'm finished with the story I'll be coming back to it in hour-long bursts. I also decided it wasn't important for me to dignify this one with a physical copy on my shelf. Then there's the part about knowing the series has room to improve, and that there's actual lore going on for me to follow. 

Compare that situation with Mario, whose newest game may or may not turn out to be the greatest 3D platformer ever made. But there's nothing to latch onto there, no reason for me to go online. 

Because even when it reaches the peaks of amazing and dives into the valleys of bullshit, there's nothing quite like it in gaming.

• Promotion 1

I will always support them as long they keep trying. I grew up when believe it or not Sega was the King on the console market for a little while. I grew up during the Sega Nintendo console wars. I got Sega console because of a bad experience with Mario game and sticked with Sonic on/off. The games might not always be what you would hope but be thankful they are still around to give you that chance that someday a game that will satisfy will arrive.

4 hours ago, TailsTellsTales said:

The games might not always be what you would hope but be thankful they are still around to give you that chance that someday a game that will satisfy will arrive.

I'm not going to be grateful to SEGA for creating and selling me turds.

• Thumbs Up 1

Most likely because the series has been apart of my life for as long as I can remember!

I love the general aesthetics, the [core] characters, the imaginative worlds, the wonderful soundtracks, etc. I read the Archie comics for many years and watched Sonic X until it ended. I've gotten tons of artistic inspiration from all forms of Sonic media that continues to this day.

Eggman's been a huge part of my love for the series as well. He's one of my favorite characters period. I visited a site called Eggman Empire for many years gathering artwork, general info, and chatting with fellow Eggman-enthusiasts. Though I may not fully enjoy his portrayal in recent years, I still have a soft-spot for the egg-obsessed madman.

From my introduction into the games with 3D Blast on PC way back to present day; the Hedgehog and his many adventures (good and bad) over the years will always be ones I'll gladly experience!

Fan creations coupled with nostalgia are the driving forces behind my continued interest in this franchise. While games like Lost World were only somewhat interesting to me, I've continued to follow projects such as Sonic 2 HD, Sonic World, the Unleashed Project, and various other efforts from fans over the years. Generations modding has been pretty nice. As far as official titles are concerned, Mania was a great release, save for the abundance of returning stages.

I don't hold out hope that Sonic Team will deliver something truly spectacular anymore. Ever since Sonic Colors (despite Colors being a well received game from both fans and critics alike), my interest in newer titles has dropped off a fair bit; I'm not entirely disinterested, but its difficult for me to get properly hyped up for new releases. I'm not going to swear off ever buying new Sonic games, as I grew up with Sonic. So long as they're still making new content with him in it, I'll probably look on with at least somewhat of a passing interest. But, I don't plan on dropping the cash for his games on day one anymore. I actually do take stock in professional reviews now, and I look around the internet to see what fans are saying as well.

I'm not even particularly bothered by spoiling Forces for myself with all these recent leaks; I feel like I need to know whats going to be in that game, because I simply can't trust Sonic Team enough anymore to pay full price otherwise.