Awoo.

How Would You Like This Game to End? Spoilers

does it really matter

Okay, so regardless of gameplay or how the reviews for this game will turn out, how would you like this game to end from a story perspective?

Given the achievements, it's really no secret (if it was one to begin with) that the world will return to peace at the end, but how would you like the fate of characters to be handled, especially Eggman?  From one side, I love that they seem to be treating him as a legitimate threat again,  but on the other hand, I can't help but think they might pull off a cheap trick, like it's actually Eggman from another dimension. They might also do something like Sonic Adventure 2 where, though Eggman was a truly evil villain, he was let go because he did something at the last minute to save his own skin, which also happened to coincide with saving the world.

Anyway, how do you believe certain characters will end up at the end, including the avatar, Infinite, Eggman, Shadow, ect.? Will this game actually be an ending to the series we know up till this point and then rebooted? Several people here did say this game has all the bearings of a finale, so I certainly wouldn't mind that.

I hope the Phantom Ruby explodes or something, rebooting the entire universe, and we get a brief epilogue of a new, not shit continuity.

It's not going to happen. But I wish it would.

• Thumbs Up 4

19 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I hope the Phantom Ruby explodes or something, rebooting the entire universe, and we get a brief epilogue of a new, not shit continuity.

Lol, yeah I would love the ending to really be anything goes. Eggman finally getting his just desserts, heroes dying, and the whole series being turned upside down. But for whatever reason, Sega wants to keep up with a continuity that has really overstayed its welcome. Some might say they tried with 'Sonic Boom', but it wasn't handled well in the games at all in my opinion. There's so many Sonic games at this point, I wouldn't mind this game having a true, conclusive finale. They can make as many games as they want, but they don't always have to be set in the same canon. 

Considering how other Sonic games do their big finale, before just doing another ol' game after, I don't expect anything too special. Sonic Unleashed looks like an end for the franchise if you see it like that. And I'm sure other games do too.

Therefore, let it be. It'll have some grand finale, but it's not going to change everything as we know it.

Because this seems like the only game that would be capable of doing this, I would love to see an ending where Eggman gets captured. Not just runs away, but actually captured. I want that motherfucker put on trial in animal court. Naturally he'd escape, but I'd love to see a scene that depicts that. I could imagine Tails being a type of judge, holding a long grocery list of all of the crimes Eggman committed and Eggman saying he just wanted what was best for the world or something like that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not sure why it would matter how it ends. Sonic games pretty much end the same way each time.

Unless Eggman and Infinity Man win in the end, it's whatever.

21 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

Considering how other Sonic games do their big finale, before just doing another ol' game after, I don't expect anything too special. Sonic Unleashed looks like an end for the franchise if you see it like that. And I'm sure other games do too.

Therefore, let it be. It'll have some grand finale, but it's not going to change everything as we know it.

True enough, but even the circumstances of this game are much more grand. Having most the villains and heroes back in one game,  the main villain of the series actually succeeding (at least 99% of the way) and the grim premise, is something none of the other games did. I agree with you that something will probably happen at the end to make it 'business as usual', but I can't help but at least hope the ending will be something out of left field.

21 minutes ago, McGroose said:

Because this seems like the only game that would be capable of doing this, I would love to see an ending where Eggman gets captured. Not just runs away, but actually captured. I want that motherfucker put on trial in animal court. Naturally he'd escape, but I'd love to see a scene that depicts that. I could imagine Tails being a type of judge, holding a long grocery list of all of the crimes Eggman committed and Eggman saying he just wanted what was best for the world or something like that. 

Yup, I would love some form of justice for Eggman, instead of him just escaping again, even if it's only temporary.

20 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I'm not sure why it would matter how it ends. Sonic games pretty much end the same way each time.

Unless Eggman and Infinity Man win in the end, it's whatever.

That's really what I'm contemplating. Will this game end like a typical Sonic game or, given the premise, will it have a bit more flavor to it. I think it will not do anything that would raise an eyebrow, but was curious about others' thoughts.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't really see it being anything different than average. 

• -Sonic and OC beat Eggman and Infinite
  • Infinite is redeemed or something and runs off into the sunset.. or dies idk
  • The OC and Sonic fist bump and go their separate ways
  • Classic goes back to the Classic Dimension
  • Peace returns to the Animal Planet and all damage Eggman/Infinite did is somehow reversed
  • Cooky tone shifting epilogue with Eggman licking his wounds, and vowing that he'll back

No reboots, no arrests, just your average "All's well that ends well" ending where everything goes back to the status quo for the next game, and the events are never mentioned again.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mephiles wills himself back from the dead, kills Sonic, makes out with Elise, and the universe explodes, ending with a gif of Iizuka laughing. Or something like that, I don't know.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 6

I don't know enough about the game to make a call. I guess the one thing I'm hoping for is for Eggman to meet a more dignified end than "where's my moustache?!"

I also hope that Classic Sonic will go back to his dimension, but he probably will, anyway. 

No way in hell am I hoping for this to be a reset button on the continuity. They can make a more coherent and consistent universe without nuking 20 years of character development. Retcons would be needed, yes, but not an all-out reboot. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

This is similar to my (weak) theory about one of the possible endings for this game.... and also my great hope. I agree that it probably ain't happening.

The Sonic continuity, even if Modern Sonic goes forward successfully after this, definitely needs rebooting. Or maybe Forces will be successful and they'll continue with this kind of stuff.

If it were me, I'd start over from Sonic 1 or 2 with just a few characters, but alongside a true, great 3D platforming gameplay concept that the series can build on and succeed with. The universe doesn't  even need to be the exact same as the Genesis Sonic 1-2 arc. But there's too much clutter that needs to simply be let go. 

I'd freaking love it if there were something like a new "classic Sonic" standing in the rubble of all of this, maybe a Tyson-Hesse/Ohshima interpretation of him that indicates where the series is going next. Or a fusion of Classic and Modern in a similarly inspired design. I'd pee my pants.

I hope that it ends with the resistance beating eggman, but eggman sends modern sonic, amy, and maybe the chaotix to classic sonic's dimension and classic sonic gets stuck on modern Sonic's planet. 

So a new studio can handle 3d classic sonic games with fun physics and playable tails and knuckles. It'd be like the fully 3d sega Saturn sonic game we never gotten.

And sonic team can go back to making rush games.

Classic eggman would have to build his machines to adapt to modern sonic's speed while modern eggman would upgrade his machines that can handle that pint-sized Sonic's weird new movement.

It'd be perfect

*Sniff*

• Thumbs Up 1

Knowing that this game will sell pretty well what I would like to see is

A. Infinite turn good, or, at least hold off on hurting his friend and simply leave, hinting he may return one day

B. Eggman infuse the ruby into another mech of his and keep the ruby to use another day or lose it in the ocean so it could be used again one day

Id also like for the oc to stick around. *not the sega one your own oc* for future games. No classic, but you can choose between just sonic and your oc

Something involving the Human World (so now we have four worlds to deal with). 

And Blaze complaining about not being in the game. 

"i'm in control! i'm in control! you haven't seen the last of me!!!!" infinite shrieks as he slowly shrinks and transforms into a chili dog

the custom hero eats the chili dog, gets constipation, and retires from the sonic franchise forever

classic sonic is drugged and forcibly shoved into a time locker that sends him back to august 2017

modern sonic bellows "it is finished", breathes his last, and faceplants into the ground

smash cut to "to be continued in sonic the hedgehog (2006)" 

credits. 25 bottles of sake, three six-packs of beer, and a rare laserdisc copy of armageddon with japanese subtitles are mentioned in the special thanks section

marvel stinger: dr. eggman is revealed to have fabricated forces' script, and is then approached by hollywood executives to produce the live-action sonic movie

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 3

• Infinite is destroyed by the real superpower of TEAMWORK!

• OC dissapears to a place for "reasons" to await whether or not s/he will return.

• Classic Sonic goes back only to find Eggman is stirring trouble, setting up a Mania 2.

• The modern gang stare into the sunset/sunrise, celebrating and talking about fixing the damaged world

• Eggman licks his wounds and rounds up his remaining resources for a future plan.

To be honest, I would like to see this game ending in some sort of a leading reboot in the future. So that the franchises can start all over again. Let's be honest here guys. The franchise is pretty much a total chaos at this point. A lot of characters who do not have any real role in the story anymore, a lot of story elements from older games that do not make any sense anymore in their continuity and a franchise that has really no real direction and identity. 

My personal wish for a fitting Sonic Forces ending would be like this:

• Infinite is destroyed by the Teamwork of Modern Sonic, Classic Sonic and the Avatar.
  • Before Infinite dies, he will blast out a last huge attack which will rip out time and space in half. 
  • Everything goes black and Classic Sonic, Modern Sonic and the Avatar find them all lost in a place where everything that they know doesn't exist yet.
  • With the help of the Chaos emeralds (because they to solve any problems in this universe) they activate some sort of time-pass-forward-button and Classic Sonic ends up in Green Hill Zone again. Where his adventures begin form a new fresh start.    

This is a really dump idea for an ending. But for my personal taste I can not see the franchises going anywhere with this chaotic direction they have now. I really think it would be a good idea to start the next game as some sort of an reimagining like Insomniac did with the last Ratchet & Clank game.

I would prefer if Eggman was the final boss, because this game is about a world ruled by Eggman, not Infinite.

Eggman has finally conquered the world, so thematically it makes the most sense that he'd be the main villain of this story. To undermine his moment of triumph with some random new enemy feels cheap and unearned. So I'm hoping that any one of the following happen:

- Infinite stays loyal to Eggman

- Infinite turns good (or is revealed to be some brainwashed friend of the Avatar or something)

- Eggman betrays Infinite

Either way, the end result is that the final boss is Eggman, in a game with a premise that demands an Eggman final boss. He took over the planet, now Sonic needs to fight him to take the planet back from his rule.

• Thumbs Up 6

There's a lot of stupid shit that happened post SA2, but honestly that stuff can just get swept under the rug. We don't need to know why Silver isn't there for future games, maybe he's busy fucking shit up with Blaze in her dimension. 

Theres too much good lore from SA, SA2, and Unleashed that would go straight down the toilet if Sega were to reset the continuity. Shadow is practically an institution unto himself, and carrying him over would mean re-explaining his entire backstory.

How about this: I'm hearing they're making a new Alien movie that's going to ignore all the dogshit that happened after Aliens. They're also making a new Halloween that's going to ignore everything that happened after Halloween 2 (1981). What if the Sonic series does something similar? It doesn't need to all be reset. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I personally would get rid of everything plot/continuity-wise starting with Heroes. The way Shadow reappears in Heroes and how he doesn't really give a damn that much he can't remember a thing, then it suddenly becomes super important in his own game just felt like an inconsistent mess to me, not to mention the retardness of ignoring the "Hey, these guys seem to know me, maybe I should ask them who exactly am I and what do they know about me?" possibility. But revaling Shadows entire backstory is still something I think could be a good and interesting plot if done right. After that story is done, IMO it would be best to retire Shadow as a character, or repurpose him in a different way (like a lone traveller, looking for his place on the planet Maria loved and an occasional ally to Sonic and co) as opposed to always being a rival/enemy to Sonic, which is very stale, boring and overused at this point.

After that, at least there could be fresh page to start with, not this "Oh crap, that story turned out to be a load of shit, let's take the next one into an entirely different direction and act like that fuck up never happened." Sonic Team started doing after Sonic 2006.

I for one hope the game does not end in a reboot - because I have absolutely zero confidence that Sonic Team could create anything better the second time around, so a reboot would only serve to wipe away things people like to no good end.

Getting away from the reboot talk, then yes, I think a solid Eggman final boss and a victory which ends with him being brought down in flames as in the classic games would be a satisfying conclusion, rather than just letting him walk away or suffer only slapstick for his crimes.

• Thumbs Up 1