Awoo.

Sonic Forces - Japanese Introduction Trailer

Woun

1 minute ago, A Zombie KING heavy engine said:

I think it's a neat little reference to the canelled sonic xtreme for the saturnmetal4.thumb.jpg.f3c5b6a194c65508e3f54e894cd2f9d5.jpg

For those that didn't know metal sonic was planned as a boss for sonic xtreme

Oh god, not again...

I don't wanna sound rude, but Sonic X-Treme was in development hell. They wouldn't reference anything from it. This is just a coincidence.

4 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Man, this is like with Sonic 06 where I am never allowed to give that game a single compliment without having to add "oh yeah, loading times, princes kiss, blah blah" like a zombie.

Sad thing is, I don't think it helps. Pretty sure there was a meeting all the way back in 2010 when Sega of America asked angry fans to share their grievances about Sonic 4, and Webber immediatly wrote "physics" on the blackboard when the meeting started. The internet © complained enough about physics in 2010 for Webber to immediatly know about it, and where did that lead us? Nowhere. Well, them allowing Mania to exist, but I wonder if Iizuka ever understood the appeal of Mania beyond "it has green hill zone" and "Pixels'

But regardless,  I'll personally write "Linair level design" on a hammer and smash everyone's face to a pulp with it until "bad Sonic forces level design litteraly crushes people's faces" becomes a newspaper headline. Hope that'll inspire Sonic team then.

What I meant was

If you're totally happy with the game, you're 100% on board with it, it's ok.

If you're happy with it but still have some concerns, express yourself.

That's it...? I mean, I don't see what's wrong with this.

EDIT: And like yeah, things may not change, but hey, might aswell try.

Mania happened after all.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Almar said:

>Pay no attention to the Sonic CD Flashback in Sonic Adventure

The CD flashback that depicts an event that depicts an event that didn't happen in CD and features Sonic and Amy's modern forms.

Or the 2 flashback that depicts Tails' and Sonic's meeting, also featuring their modern forms.

Or Sonic 4, which features Sonic, Eggman, and Tails in their modern forms despite being soon after 3.

It's almost as if Modern Sonic has had his own version of the events of the classic games where he has always looked like he does now

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Another plus for me was when modern sonic jumped in front of silver. Sonic actually cares for someone that's not just tails and I'm glad this game is bringing that back.

@Detective Kaito oh, my bad.

2 minutes ago, Razule said:

The CD flashback that depicts an event that depicts an event that didn't happen in CD and features Sonic and Amy's modern forms.

Or the 2 flashback that depicts Tails' and Sonic's meeting, also featuring their modern forms.

Or Sonic 4, which features Sonic, Eggman, and Tails in their modern forms despite being soon after 3.

It's almost as if Modern Sonic has had his own version of the events of the classic games where he has always looked like he does now

Yeah, more so now that he's in his own dimension away from his classic self. 

Story is shaping up to be crazy and fun, cool.

That level design, though. Yeesh. The game really just plays like a glorified hallway.

• Thumbs Up 1

That is a sick Tornado redesign. If nothing else, the story keeps getting more and more intriguing.

• Nice Smile 2

16 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

My take is that this is that this is a really depressing, and very unhelpful, mindset to see. Straight lines and automation don't make for good gameplay; it's just window dressing to hide the fact that nothing is actually happening. It sounds as though you're settling for something at the same time that you're also admitting it could be a lot better.

I want Sonic games to be great, or at least good. I've been around way too long to be satisfied with "ok at best" or "not bad". This trailer looks pretty decent, but once again it seems that the story is all that this game has going for it. The gameplay does not look good at all.

We also want Sonic games to be great as my last post said. Just because we like Forces doesn't mean we don't want improvement, now THAT'S a depressing mindset to have.

• Thumbs Up 5

It's too bad that the story can actually turn out to be very good, but the gameplay is what holding Forces back to be a great Sonic game. What a shame. Still, can't wait to play it.

• Thumbs Up 5

My consensus so far: The gameplay and mechanics for the Modern Sonic appears to be tight and fun while classic Sonic could use some improvements. The Avatar gameplay, is harmless at worse and intriguing at best. The tag team sections seem like a natural branching of the boost formula for the most part.

The level design seen on the other hand, is heavily hit and miss. Some levels certainly do host multiple different pathways, but some also are a bit flat and notably block-happy.

Everything else is looking mighty fine so far.

What I have yet to determine is have I'll manage to have as much fun playing this game as watching it.

11 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

We also want Sonic games to be great as my last post said. Just because we like Forces doesn't mean we don't want improvement, now THAT'S a depressing mindset to have.

Well put and said.

• Thumbs Up 5

24 minutes ago, Razule said:

Was it really a Sonic CD flashback, though? It could have easily been an unrelated adventure we haven't seen before.

Before Sega decided that classic and modern were separate, it was widely assumed that modern Sonic was a mere redesign with no canonical explanation as to why he looks different than he did before Sonic Adventure. It's like trying to explain why Mickey Mouse's eyes are different now than when he debuted, why Mega Man suddenly got taller in MM8, or why Lilac looks extremely different between both Freedom Planet games, or Zero looking different between the X and Zero games. These sorts of things don't need explanation, but even if they did, they certainly didn't have to go down the "alternate dimensions" route.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Sean said:

they certainly didn't have to go down the "alternate dimensions" route.

I'd rather have alternate dimension before time travel. 

Actually, no, I would rather have neither. But between two evils, at least alternate dimensions can't fuck a game story as much as poorly written time travel. Both are writing clichés and terrible tropes in fiction that I absolutely FUCKING hate but alternate dimensions are harmless (as long as they don't involve a multiverse crisis like comic books love to do). 

4 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Being Cream is suffering. 

Big, Sticks, the Babylon Rogues, Tikal, and Marine are also in the unemployment line. Not to mention Eggman Nega, Mecha Sonic, and .... ugh, Zazz. 

Due to the sheer number of complaints about her not being in, I expect at least a namedrop by Graff.

• Thumbs Up 4

If you're referring to Generations, it's not as complicated as most people like to make it out to be. It was an anniversary title where someone at Sega thought it would be fun to do their own version of Mickey Mania.

That's literally all there was to it. Seriously, this is the one game where I think more people should repeat the "MST3K mantra" to themselves when wracking their brains over how it supposedly affects the so-called "Sonic timeline." It doesn't - or at least, it wasn't meant to until Forces came along.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

I'll not settle for a 5-6 game when we literally got the best Sonic game in 15 years just months ago. It's depressing having the same franchise seeing two extremes like this. The way I see it, just split it in two once and for all: retro/classic and modern/boom, I'll support the side games are actually MEANT TO BE GAMES, which clearly, aren't the ones Sonic Team is making.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also I like how they managed to solve an issue with making a Vecpio-themed avatar I didn't even know I had. 

1 minute ago, Sean said:

If you're referring to Generations, it's not as complicated as most people like to make it out to be. It was an anniversary title where someone at Sega thought it would be fun to do their own version of Mickey Mania. That's literally all there was to it. Seriously, this is the one game where I think more people should repeat the "MST3000 mantra" to themselves when wracking their brains over how it supposedly affects the so-called "Sonic timeline." It doesn't - or at least, it wasn't meant to until Forces came along.

This, I could accept Gens as a one off silly what if adventure but now Forces has to go and give it narrative weight and actual attempts at an explanation and what we got was fucking dumb. This isn't TMNT, as far as the games are concerned it's supposed to be ONE continuity 

• Thumbs Up 3

I really enjoyed this trailer. It was really cool, and I liked seeing all the little interactions and parts of cutscenes. I'm really excited for this story.

I mentioned this in the status updates, but if this game had better level design, it'd probably be my favorite Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 5

4 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

What concerns me is that people see a moderately well cut trailer and seem to instantly lose any sort of critical eye, to the point of not even caring about major aspects of game design because it "looks cool".

The message that this is going to send to Sonic Team is that there's no need for them to improve. They can just makes something that looks cool, and people will keep giving them a free pass on never improving.

If they don't care as much about those aspects as you are I, there's nothing to be done. I can see why some don't want to worry about games Sonic Team might make 3 or 5 years from now and just want to enjoy themselves now.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

What concerns me is that people see a moderately well cut trailer and seem to instantly lose any sort of critical eye, to the point of not even caring about major aspects of game design because it "looks cool".

The message that this is going to send to Sonic Team is that there's no need for them to improve. They can just makes something that looks cool, and people will keep giving them a free pass on never improving.

So we're not allowed to like anything about games you don't like because that somehow guarantees Sonic Team will keep making games you don't want? Got it.

• Thumbs Up 5