Awoo.

What you think of the english dub of Sonic Forces?

sfargr321

Is it that really bad? I just see comments saying that prefer the Japonese dub than the English Dub, but why? It was okay for me.

(Also, sorry for the bad english :()

Sonic Forces - Story Trailer: 

Well, there's not much of the English dub aside from the trailer and level dialogue.

It's not bad at all so far, the reason the English trailer gets panned is because of the poor editing and placing. Otherwise it's fine.

Warren is only localizing the script and not writing it so nothing cringeworthy yet so it's a good sign.

• Thumbs Up 1

What? IMO this is the best English voice cast we’ve had in years! Travis Willingham as Knuckles is great and Cindy Robinson has improved a LOT since her Minnie Mouse impression! 

Of course, it’ll be interesting to see what the voice acting is like when things get a little more serious and tense. We’ve only seen this voice cast with a jokey script, so I can’t wait to see what it’s like with a serious one! 

• Thumbs Up 6

1 minute ago, Creep Dude said:

Well, there's not much of the English dub aside from the trailer and level dialogue.

It's not bad at all so far, the reason the English trailer gets panned is because of the poor editing and placing. Otherwise it's fine.

Warren is only localizing the script and not writing it so nothing cringeworthy yet so it's a good sign.

I never noticed that (for someone who doesn't speak english, that's really normal, i think). 

I just noticed some bad sync with the audio and the video/image. I hope that it is not in-game.

Mike Pollock still sounds as great as always. I'm sure I'll enjoy watching him ham it up in cutscenes as usual.

• Promotion 2

1 hour ago, Stragez said:

I never noticed that (for someone who doesn't speak english, that's really normal, i think). 

I just noticed some bad sync with the audio and the video/image. I hope that it is not in-game.

@Creep Dude is pushing you down the right path.

The english Media we've seen out of Forces isn't getting flack because the voice-work or localization is bad, but rather because they took the Japanese trailer and just kind of threw English words in there, rather than editing their own trailer with the same scene's in English. Its like Sega of America just took the easiest possible shortcut to getting that trailer out the door.

The games themselves haven't had that problem in the past, so I would chalk it up to them being lazy in the marketing department rather than an indictment of the quality of the English Dub com release time. 

Long story short, nothing to see here people. ^^

• Thumbs Up 4

From what we’ve seen, the cast has really been giving this their all. Roger’s definitely improved since 2010, Cindy as well. The only voice I haven’t cared for is Saïx Shadow, tho he does sound better in LEGO Dimensions. XD I hope his voice sounds a lot better in Forces!

They sound fine to me. They sounded fine in the Boom TV show. They sounded fine in LEGO Dimensions. They sound fine now.

I'm not worried about the voice cast. It is the best one we've gotten since the series started to have speaking roles for them in my opinion. It took so fucking long for Jason Griffith to get decent as Sonic. I almost can't listen to him in Riders. It sounds so soulless and weird. Like he's actually reading from the script as it sits in front of him.

Darn.

Now.

Can you catch the wind.

• Thumbs Up 2

Am I hearing the same performances the rest of you are hearing? Sonic sounds like he'd rather be at home sleeping than emoting. Listen to Roger's performance during the tag-team level for example. Absolutely no emotion whatsoever. Just a flat delivery all the time. "oh yeah, time for us to team up or whatever. We'll defeat everything they throw as us like we always do because I'm the hero." Maybe i'm just expecting Sonic to shout his heart out like a shonen protagonist but is the other extreme really better?

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, I never liked Roger as Sonic. It's not his performance, but mostly his voice. It doesn't suit Sonic at all, makes him sound like a 40-year-old man trying to sound cool, which is, ironically, exactly what Roger is.

Really crazy that he's been voicing Sonic for over 7 years now, way more than any of Sonic's other voice actors. To be fair, I think Roger is perfect for Boom Sonic since his personality is very different from Sega Sonic.

I really hope they just bring back Ryan or Jason, but I guess we'll just have to deal with Roger for now or just switch to the Japanese voices, which are great.

• Thumbs Up 7

29 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Yeah, I never liked Roger as Sonic. It's not his performance, but mostly his voice. It doesn't suit Sonic at all, makes him sound like a 40-year-old man trying to sound cool, which is, ironically, exactly what Roger is.

That's another problem. Marvelous how Sega could fire their own bug-testers for telling them that 06 was completely broken but their own voice directors are somehow immune to  simply being told "hey, could this teenage hedgehog not sound like the "how do you do, fellow kids" guy?". Maybe it's a matter of budgets. Maybe Roger loves voicing Sonic so much he's willing to go cheaper than anyone who could put in the effort so they keep him on  to put more money into things like Classic Sonic and Wispons.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just don't know man

On one hand I love them in Boom

But when it comes to the games I really blame voice direction.

Compared to Ryan and even Jason, Roger never had that heroic and also cocky voice that Sonic is supposed to have.

Travis is just the wrong voice for Knuckles. He comes sounding way too much like Dan Green which also wasn't good Knuckles voice.

Cindy has improved tremendously as Amy

Raide- I mean Silver sounds good

Tails voice actress is probably is the best Tails voice I've heard.

Mike Pollock is great thats a given

I feel like im going to switch it to Japanese 

• Thumbs Up 3

Most of them ain't bad but good god is Roger hard to listen to sometimes.

Drummond wasn't great for the first few years, but after improving he was the closest we ever got to an English version of the Japanese Sonic. As it stands now, it feels like the English and Japanese Sonics are entirely different characters. They shouldn't have replaced Sonic's voice twice for no reason in the first place if you ask me, because aside from the games feeling more consistent Kanemaru's performances have come out looking far better than Jason and Roger's combined.

I'm not saying drag Drummond back after 13 years, but if they really want to start appealing to that SA2-type crowd now the least they can do is get someone who can pull off the same vibes in their performances that Kanemaru does/Drummond did back in SA2/Heroes, rather than... yeah, the Fellow Kids guy.

If you want an example of better VAs, Tails has been great for the last few years - I really like his voice for this game. I think him and Pollock are the only ones in the current cast who match up well with their Japanese counterparts.

Oh but yeah I agree that despite how Roger sucks at Modern Sonic, his voice is a lot better in Boom's context because he suits the personality of Boom Sonic more.

• Thumbs Up 5

They're the best of the bunch.  Roger's got the advantage of experience over Drummond by far.  Colleen is sublime as Tails. Travis slam dunks with Knux's voice,  Cindy's a much better balanced Amy nowadays and Mike Pollock, nuff said. 

Boom the tV series helped out a great deal. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Drummond's vocal work was rather poor outside of SA1 and 2. Elsewhere, he ranges from tolerable to unbearable. Same goes for Jason Griffith, but swap "SA1 and 2" with "Unleashed and Black Knight." Roger Craig Smith is easily the best Sonic. I love how he plays things cool instead of being like "WAOH IM JUST A GUY WHO LOVES ADVENTURE!!!1" 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Drummond's vocal work was rather poor outside of SA1 and 2. Elsewhere, he ranges from tolerable to unbearable. Same goes for Jason Griffith, but swap "SA1 and 2" with "Unleashed and Black Knight." Roger Craig Smith is easily the best Sonic. I love how he plays things cool instead of being like "WAOH IM JUST A GUY WHO LOVES ADVENTURE!!!1" 

Still better than the whiny "NO COPYRIGHT LAW IN THE UNIVERSE IS GOING TO STOP ME"

Ryan Drummond was really good and deep down I do wish they could bring him back. He’s still got it y’know! 

Jason Griffith on the other hand...no thanks. Not a fan. I admit he did improve in Sonic Unleashed and especially Black Knight, but it was too late and by the time he did hit his stride he was unceremoniously dumped by Sega and replaced by Roger. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Gabz Girl said:

Darn it I wish this voice was in SA 1 & 2. His voice in Heroes ranged from good to slightly annoying.

I'm perfectly fine with the current cast. Roger actually sounds great at Sonic. Is it the deepest voice? Yes! But it's still awesome. Not a big fan of the 4kids cast (excluding Mike) due to the constant enunciating.

Since the story is a lot more serious, I hope they do great.

3 hours ago, Ultimate Victory 64 said:

Still better than the whiny "NO COPYRIGHT LAW IN THE UNIVERSE IS GOING TO STOP ME"

No, it's worse. Significantly worse. 

I like how you guys are assuming that these voice actors are the ones who wrote Sonic's lines. Drummond didn't write "Ah yeah this is happenin'" (In fact he didn't even get to see the context for the any of the lines he was given in SA1) or "Just a guy who loves adventure", and Roger didn't write any of the terrible jokes.

Yes, Roger's got a lot of experience over Drummond, but that's not the problem. The problem here is the voice itself - you can be the most skilled voice actor in the world, but if you don't have a voice that matches up with the character being voiced then it doesn't matter. Shadow has the same problem - good actor, bad voice for the character.

While the voice is great with the lazier personality of Boom Sonic, it's becoming clear that Roger's "How Do You Do Fellow Kids" Sonic voice doesn't work well coming out of the mouth of a more adventure-esque Sonic, and all we have to do to see this is compare it to Kanemaru's Japanese performances or the way Drummond handled the cheesier lines of SA2 and Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think Roger's Sonic voice sounds fine, personally. I've never had an issue with it.

Jason, on the other hand... HE always sounded too old for Sonic, to me. His voice never sounded like a convincing teenager, even if I'll readily admit his acting got better toward the end of his run, and I don't dislike him as a person.

But Roger's voice just sounds more natural to me? At least compared to Jason. I just blame bad directions in the games for any real qualms.

• Thumbs Up 7

39 minutes ago, Speeps said:

I like how you guys are assuming that these voice actors are the ones who wrote Sonic's lines. Drummond didn't write "Ah yeah this is happenin'" (In fact he didn't even get to see the context for the any of the lines he was given in SA1) or "Just a guy who loves adventure", and Roger didn't write any of the terrible jokes.

Yes, Roger's got a lot of experience over Drummond, but that's not the problem. The problem here is the voice itself - you can be the most skilled voice actor in the world, but if you don't have a voice that matches up with the character being voiced then it doesn't matter. Shadow has the same problem - good actor, bad voice for the character.

While the voice is great with the lazier personality of Boom Sonic, it's becoming clear that Roger's "How Do You Do Fellow Kids" Sonic voice doesn't work well coming out of the mouth of a more adventure-esque Sonic, and all we have to do to see this is compare it to Kanemaru's Japanese performances or the way Drummond handled the cheesier lines of SA2 and Heroes.

I was referring to delivery, not lines. Roger Craig Smith is the best voice Sonic has ever had, even though I didn't like him at first. 

I'm saying the problem with Roger isn't his ability to act, but that his voice doesn't fit the character in the setting and situations that Forces is asking for, especially if Sonic Team is serious about appealing to the crowd that followed the adventure series. Mike Pollock is a great voice actor, but I don't think he'd make a good Amy or Charmy no matter how well he can say the lines.

He might be a better actor than Drummond and Griffith, but Sonic Team could definitely do with a better voice when they get the opportunity. Again, I'd recommend looking over some of the Japanese performances if you need a comparison for what I mean.

• Thumbs Up 1

Many talented voice actors can do a variety of different voices and Roger is no exception.  Pollock probably can't do a character like Amy, but I'd say Roger definitely has the chops to do a Sonic voice that's more akin to Drummond/Griffith if he or his voice directors wanted him to.  Honestly though, his voice perfectly suits the personality Sonic's been given for the past few games, and I honestly don't think Forces is going to be that much different where it actually warrants that sort of change (and even then, I think a voice more akin to Drummond and Griffith is even worse for kind of story some are expecting Forces to be).

Besides that, I wouldn't trade Roger's good enough voice and talent for actually sounding like a believable person for a more "suitable" voice like Griffith who can't sell the character nearly as well.  I will say it's a shame that Drummond never got the chance to work on a game with more competent dialogue and direction, but it is what it is.

• Thumbs Up 3