Awoo.

NeoGAF & #metoo

Ming Ming Hatsune

It was a shit hole echo chamber, so I can't say I'm sad it's going. I do feel for those displaced, though. Sucks to lose your community like that. I just hope no one is defending Evilore, are they? As I heard this hasn't been the first time.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm just gonna miss the KH guides I'd use for games like CoM and BBS. Aside from that, eh. I feel bad for those that invested lots of time in the place and did nothing wrong though. Always sucks to loose your home away from home 

It's a shame.  Gaf had a fairly decent community (especially considering how large it was).  Never got out of Junior status, but I didn't have a bad time there.  Evilore can go fuck himself.

At the very least, Gaf's FFXIV community didn't collapse with it.  We just rebranded ourselves and are continuing on our merry way, so that's good.

"Fuck off, dipshit. That enough toxic masculinity for you? I was moderating my platform, not going to bat for Dr. Neckbeard.”

this on top of his constant defensive attitude really makes me not give a shit about his site even more 

Jesus, what was that in response to? Someone suggesting they actually give the #metoo campaign some discussion on the forum? That pretty much does fly in the face of what seems like typical GAF.

I don't care about the rest of GAF, but I do want to talk about Toonami, Halo, Digimon and Dragonball in one place without being connected with a blue hedgehog.

according to the GAF discord, NeoGAF's replacement forum is going to be up as soon as tomorrow.

37 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

I don't care about the rest of GAF, but I do want to talk about Toonami, Halo, Digimon and Dragonball in one place without being connected with a blue hedgehog.

according to the GAF discord, NeoGAF's replacement forum is going to be up as soon as tomorrow.

I kind of relate to this, but with different communities. The GAF SFV/FGC stuff was actually a pretty good community filled with funny players across broad skill levels, and was a place to talk about an interest that had quality I couldn't really find elsewhere. The gaming forum side was slowly inching towards a trashfire (or was already, depending on who you ask) but the sub-communities were great. 

I'm kind of processing the whole thing because gaf was basically my second internet home after here. What Evilore did is completely unacceptable, especially when you contrast with past posts/actions and see that he hasn't gotten any smarter or better since, and I don't wanna support anything run by him. TBH I mulled leaved after the Amirox coverup thing, but I'm weak.

Despite all this I am really going to miss having a super busy, relatively well moderated forum filled with cool posters knowledgeable on niche topics. It was pretty much without equal, for better or for worse. 

If you're interested, a lot of members seem to be going to the Waypoint Forums, SL&ENT (which afaik is run by former gafhop/NBA thread members)  and the "secret" discord. IDK how the replacement is gonna go. Isn't the well poisoned at this point? 

15 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

It’s a shame because, ironically, I always thought it had a pretty decent community that had collectively had good, progressive values - how ironic that those values were diametrically opposed to that of the site owner.

Yeah, I really felt this. Had me pretty bummed out last night. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Remy said:

IDK how the replacement is gonna go. Isn't the well kinda poisoned at this point? 

mind expanding more on what you meant by this? kind of confused.

Right hit post too early:

16 minutes ago, Remy said:

BUT I am really going to miss having a super busy, relatively well moderated forum filled with cool posters knowledgeable on niche topics.  

^This definitely, I can't talk about certain things here without being overrun by topics like "OMG GUYS SONIC FORCES IS ______!!!!!!!!!". look I like Sonic, I wouldn't be here for soo long if I didn't but Sonic is the main conversation at this forum, NeoGAF was neutral ground and I liked going into a topic and just shooting the shit with fellow Toonami and Halo fans, of which theirs only a few here. thats what I liked about NeoGAF and thats what I'm going to miss if this new forum fails.

• Thumbs Up 2

After Gaf imploded, everyone more or less found refuge in the various community discord servers that were formed over the years. I'm in several of them, and it's nice seeing the same old faces, but discord is by no means a replacement. I hope the claims of this new site being up by tomorrow are true.

But man, the fact that this happened at all sure is something. On one hand I'm glad Evilore was exposed for being a scumbag, but on the other hand, all of the communities, threads, users, etc., just became scattered to the wind. And that is without a doubt the biggest loss here. I may have only gotten my account approved this year, but I had been lurking for far longer, but there was no other site on the internet that was quite like Gaf, especially in the gaming sphere (namely, it wasn't littered with a bunch of hate-spewing alt-right/4chan esque scumbags). The strict moderation helped greatly to keep things in line, as did the non-open registration (though the probation period was needlessly long for my liking).

While Gaf was far from perfect, I loved being there, and I loved the people I met there. Hopefully whatever this new thing will be can gather up all of us lost souls.

• Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

mind expanding more on what you meant by this? kind of confused.

In my head what I'm trying to say makes sense but I'm having trouble putting it into a post lol

Well something like an admin coming out as sexual deviant is going to send shockwaves through a community, right? Even if a neoNeoGAF appears it's not going to be the same because it's going to have to live under the shadow of the fact that everyone on it is there because their old forum got ended by the admin being exposed as pervert sexual assaulter. I think events like this change communities. Furthermore- it's going to be difficult to recapture most of the memberbase. How do you get people to join the "real" new neogaf over the 100s of others that are going to show up? How do you filter out racist scumbags when 1000s of people are going to be joining at the same time? 

I feel like recapturing what made GAF good is going to be challenging. It was basically bottled lightning. Having said that, I wouldn't mind an alternative less focused on comparing sales and metacritic totals and more on interesting game chats. 

26 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

NeoGAF was neutral ground and I liked going into a topic and just shooting the shit with fellow Toonami and Halo fans, of which theirs only a few here. thats what I liked about NeoGAF and thats what I'm going to miss if this new forum fails.

100% the reason I liked it as well. 

14 minutes ago, Toa Axis said:

After Gaf imploded, everyone more or less found refuge in the various community discord servers that were formed over the years. I'm in several of them, and it's nice seeing the same old faces, but discord is by no means a replacement.

Can you get me in the SFV one

• Thumbs Up 1

While true I do agree NeoGAF is a once in a lifetime kind of forum, I do believe a replacement can be just as good so long as the discords can get their members onto the new forum it should just continue as normal.

10 minutes ago, Remy said:

Can you get me in the SFV one

I'm afraid I lack the means. I'm not in it personally, and apparently a lot of trolls and the like have been flooding a lot of servers. So even if I did have knowledge with regards to who might be in the server or have access to it, the ability to invite people would likely be disabled. All of the ones I'm currently in have disabled invites due to trolls and potential raids.

yeah raids are going on in the discords right now you are better off waiting until thats passed before asking for invites.

I've heard many stories of some of the shady shit that went around on NeoGaf over the years. I've never spent an extensive amount of time there myself, but I say good riddance. Being one of the last gaming sites not owned by a corporation means nothing when the people running the place were complete shite, as well as it being mostly an echo chamber for ideologues to circle-jerk over their politics when the place was originally intended for discussion of video games, which fair enough still happened on there, but most of those topics went to shit pretty fast from what I remember reading.

• Thumbs Up 2

Couldn't have happened to a better site.

It was also inevitable, too. You can't build a community that just gets more and more extreme politically (thanks to the culling of any dissenting opinion) while having a corrupt moderating staff. Sooner or later banning anyone mentioning the skeletons in the closet wasn't going to be enough, and sure enough, that's happened.

I feel bad for all those who just went there for their own gated communities and were unaware of the rot at large they were in, but I hope nothing ever manages to replace it. May each community manage to find their place to be in, and may none of them be besieged with such a shit obtuse, biased and opaque moderation scheme.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good riddance, NeoGAF was a great source for information, but had an incredibly obnoxious user base that was too obsessed with politics. The hypocritical staff that loved to hide any kind of trace or relationship with it's pedo friend Amir0x didn't help either. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Rummy said:

I'm gonna be completely rude here but good riddance, get all the good people from that site into better sites.

Do you know any? Other than here of course.

Like everyone keeps saying shithole echo chamber.... compared to what? TBH the site definitely went downhill in the last couple of years but it was still miles ahead of the average Reddit gaming discussion

• Chuckle 1

On my end, I just want to say what I meant by "shithole echochamber", I was really referring to the habit the moderating staff had of banning people who voiced something they didn't agree with. Pretty dick move on their part, but that's not the average users' fault for sure.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Remy said:

Do you know any? Other than here of course.

Like everyone keeps saying shithole echo chamber.... compared to what? TBH the site definitely went downhill in the last couple of years but it was still miles ahead of the average Reddit gaming discussion

I do not think there is something to compare Neogaf, the whole forum works like hivemind the people were banned for any ridiculous thing by the time I frequent that site I only saw one group of people try to destroy the career of other people for any stupidity.

Am I going to miss NeoGAF? 20% Yes, 80% No.

20% because it's my "to-go" area to get the latest gaming news, deals, politics etc. I'm especially going to miss the deals.

But otherwise like what most have said here, I don't really like the place. I got tempbanned because in one thread, presumably the staff were okay with the fact that a transgender was having sex with a man and the trans didn't tell the man beforehand that she was a trans. I didn't think that was right. Banned. =/

Of course I wasn't following the "echo-chamber". I was so mad that day. Ever since then I stopped posting, just lurked. Terrible staff team.

28 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

Woah...NeoGAF can be accessed again! It’s very empty though. 

http://m.neogaf.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

No topics, no threads, no members ...quite eerie actually. Wonder what’s happening? Is EviLore not gonna make a statement or something? 

Edit: never mind it’s down again. =|

Nah, don't worry the threads, members, etc are still there (the site still remembers my login stuff), but the board was in offline mode. So normal members cannot see anything. The mobile version is half-baked.