Awoo.

NeoGAF & #metoo

Ming Ming Hatsune

"I'm innocent, but I'm still punishing you all for talking shit about me again.  Say goodbye to Off Topic for awhile, and no more talking about bad stuff that can be looped back to discussion about me!"

Yeah, I'm done.  Where's Gaf moving again?  I want to go there instead.

[EDIT: Nevermind, its a hoax]

-------

Yeah, this is a wreck. The victim-blaming (and bizarre conspiracy theories) makes Evilore even less sympathetic. He could have at least seen the writing on the wall and left GAF. That and go to prison, which I totally hope he does and yet sadly suspect he won't.

18 minutes ago, Nix said:

"I'm innocent, but I'm stilling punishing you all for talking shit about me again.  Say goodbye to Off Topic for awhile, and no more talking about bad stuff that can be looped back to discussion about me!"

Yeah, I'm done.  Where's Gaf moving again?  I want to go there instead.

Some have gone to Waypoint, others are settling in SL&ENT (where a bunch of former NBA-community GAF members who got banned set up shop a few years back). They're both pretty cool sites, from what I've checked, though I personally suggest SL&ENT. Waypoint does have restrictions on certain threads that can be made (they don't allow sales threads, box-office threads, and review threads, for example), which SL&ENT are more lax about. There's also the attempted successor site ResetEra being made, but it's probably going to go through some rought pains (if it even gets off the ground at all).

Anywho. Site's back up, EL issued a damage control statement as already covered, and the Off-Topic board is gone for a while as already covered. New policies for GAF however also state mods will now be anonymous and politics are nuked from the site for good. Can't say I'll be going back with those changes in mind (and the whole kettle of fish that is EL as it is).

Meanwhile, the forum is in flames. The meltdown of threads that overtook the forum before it went offline are still going, and some members are showing their true colors with the stuff they're posting. Other members who want nothing anymore to do with the site are attracting bans, guns blazing.

Spoiler

omg.png

984ada57-8648-49dc-9wzz5h.jpeg

This gif pretty much sums it all up.

NtXFNSN.gif&key=187dc743cff885456b5a71d8

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

33 minutes ago, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

NeoGAF is back online but missing Off-Topic Community for now...

Clearly an effort to avoid taking the heat for his own Grade-A Assholery. What a massive tool. Have you seen the gaming board? What a mess!

NPD Sales Thread: Moderators' Souls Edition #1
How does it feel to have no moral compass? Record sales this month.

Bi characters in video games who were asking for it

XD

Tons of users getting banned, too, and no political or social discussions are allowed (users are getting banned for posting them, as well), because the sexist snowflake can't handle being called out for his bullshit behavior.

This is probably the end of NeoGAF, at least unless he sells it to the community-at-large and it becomes a group effort.

• Thumbs Up 4

It's seriously a full meltdown.

I'm happy I could get into AusGAF and SFV discords, but I'm fucking done with the rest of the site. Now it actually is an echochamber. Tow Evilore's no politics line and lick his ass or be banned

52 minutes ago, The Kid said:

I can't believe Sonic Stadium outlasted Neogaf.

Miiverse outlasted GAF too.

• Chuckle 5

3 hours ago, Mad Convoy said:

I am a moderate liberal myself and I do find that really, really weird. For one, how do you enforce this? Some alt-righter could steal an obscure image of a black person and/or pose as a black person to get into the website and litter it with crap and/or dox people. I mean, it could be likened to affirmative action, but that usually applies to workplaces-- AKA places where the hiring team can clearly tell what skin color applicants have and are in a position to deny non-whites something that is actually a necessity (namely, an income at a workplace that they can access). Forums aren't like that at all-- you can't tell who's being honest without engaging in some really scummy (and pointless) tactics, and most let you sign up no matter who or where you are so long as you have a computer and internet. While not outright proof, this seems to fortify the notion that this forum is being created as a doxxing tactic (alt-righters/channers often target minorities first and foremost while giving whites the opportunity to back off before going after them).

-------

Yeah, this is a wreck. The victim-blaming (and bizarre conspiracy theories) makes Evilore even less sympathetic. He could have at least seen the writing on the wall and left GAF. That and go to prison, which I totally hope he does and yet sadly suspect he won't.

I think it's worth pointing out again that that's a hoax so I wouldn't worry about it.

Pretty damn convenient banning all political talk when it starts getting aimed at you, huh? I honestl don't even know why Evilore bothered to damage control when he did that, it makes it way past the point of unsalvageable. Non-guilty party has nothing to hide and all that.

Just look at how the strong and pathetic the dictatorship is. This is Kim-Jong/Trump stuff. We have to praise EviLore or keep our mouth shut about him if you want to survive.

Dare you say anything bad about the owner. BANNED.

Dare you question about the owner. BANNED.

Make any reference about the owner and what he did? BANNED.

Funny thing is, if you did this even before the crisis last weekend, it'll be the same! Instant permaban. It's just that before they kept it well hidden from the innocents. 

NeoGAF has always been poison. Yes I'm still bitter with the ban I got but my ban fits perfectly on what I'm saying here about the dictatorship.

Even though GAF is back, it'll never be the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looking around NeoGAF now and it’s definitely not the same place anymore. smh

What’s sad is that members are TRYING to continue discussion as normal and making new gaming topics but there’s still topics being made about Tyler and the sex allegations. I guess the moment that fucker wakes up and sees these topics, he’ll go on a banning and deleting spree once again.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

Just look at how the strong and pathetic the dictatorship is. This is Kim-Jong/Trump stuff. We have to praise EviLore or keep our mouth shut about him if you want to survive.

Don't you think this is a bit of an extreme comparison? You're talking about a forum that's ostensibly about video games, and at least one guy who when challenged will have you killed and your family imprisoned. They're about on the sheer opposite ends of the "bad things that happen when you question authority" spectrum.

So many account suicides in that one topic.

Mind you, something has to either replace GAF or GAF needs to completely change, like it or not, it was the place where you could go to find news about gaming relatively quickly, a small indie developer could be on the same stage as a Triple A publisher and get the same level of publicity, it all depending on how good their product was instead of how deep their pockets were.

I suspect despite a few devs cheering GAF's downfall, a lot want it back or something just like it to replace the thing since it was effectively a huge free platform to advertise new stuff.

Case in point, Limited Run Games, they've suddenly stepped up posting on their social media accounts since GAF went down.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, Yeow said:

here's also the attempted successor site ResetEra being made, but it's probably going to go through some rought pains (if it even gets off the ground at all).

I heard anything like that. explain?

1 hour ago, goku262002 said:

I heard anything like that. explain?

The basic gist of it is that people who have had it out against GAF prior to its implosion (including what have been described to be GG and alt-right people) are planning to try and sink the new forum before it even takes off. Case in point, when the name and logo were revealed yesterday, people were taking the piss out of the "ResetEra" name by putting the name and logo on certain pictures. Those images ranged from retro gaming stuff (like people playing the NES and Atari) to outdated/controversial social views (1950s period stuff like black servants and housewives).

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't get why they want to destroy any replacement or site that potentially can be better than GAF. Like what do they have against the concept of a forum like this or the members? How petty and shit do you have to be to close mindedly try to sink something because of a different thing?

2 hours ago, KHCast said:

I don't get why they want to destroy any replacement or site that potentially can be better than GAF. Like what do they have against the concept of a forum like this or the members? How petty and shit do you have to be to close mindedly try to sink something because of a different thing?

Potentially better? I kinda disagree with that. It'll be exactly the same.

I see ResetEra as "NeoGAF's newborn child" and the child has inherited from its parent. NeoGAF was ran by a bunch of ridiculous staff. And the same ridiculous staff will be the ones moderating ResetEra! I expect the same level of dictatorship if you don't follow their echo-chamber. Because while they were GAF staff, they were happy with the way they moderated things.

And that's why I don't believe it'll be "better" than GAF. My ridiculous ban in NeoGAF by duckroll, because it's the same duckroll in ResetEra, I expect the same thing to happen there.

The only difference between GAF and ResetEra really, is that one of these two owners has sexually harassed a woman multiple times. That's it, otherwise I expect it pretty much the same. That's why permabanned gaffers are trolling around ResetEra. Because it's the same (ex) NeoGAF team that they hated.

On 10/23/2017 at 10:27 PM, Yeow said:

Some have gone to Waypoint, others are settling in SL&ENT (where a bunch of former NBA-community GAF members who got banned set up shop a few years back). They're both pretty cool sites, from what I've checked, though I personally suggest SL&ENT. Waypoint does have restrictions on certain threads that can be made (they don't allow sales threads, box-office threads, and review threads, for example), which SL&ENT are more lax about. There's also the attempted successor site ResetEra being made, but it's probably going to go through some rought pains (if it even gets off the ground at all).

I just want to say, thank you for pointing me to SL&ENT.  The people there are absolutely wonderful, and I really dig the forum layout.  Very snazzy and modern looking.

And yes, ResetERA is also up and it's going pretty well so far.

• Thumbs Up 2

ResetERA is up and it's going pretty smoothly. GAF is basically a ghost town right now.

The site itself is pretty snazzy looking, with everything being laid out clearly and cleanly. The general aesthetic is also super nice.

The big sticking point right now is the lack of a dark theme, which they said they are working on. But right now... it's pretty good!