Awoo.

Euro Gamer Interview Nakamura on Forces, Mania and the Future of Sonic

Blue Blood

All I care about in that interview is Samba de Amigo on Switch. Sega...

giphy.gif

Well that and one thing that stood out is Nakamura saying Sonic Mania was well received because of 2D. HAHAHAHA seriously? No, it was well received because it’s a great game you nincompoops!

God I hope this doesn’t mean they’re sticking to their 3D/2D plan for future Sonic games and not full blown 3D. I still think having Classic Sonic shoe horned into Sonic Forces is unnecessary and I don’t want to see him in a 3D game ever again. 

Ever.

• Thumbs Up 8

>Sonic Mania got great reception because it was 2D

Ok guys, they didn't understand a thing confirmed.

It's so nice to know that Iizuka has his hands in Mania so deep. That gives me hope for the future.

• Thumbs Up 6

I think they’ll try their hands at their own in-house Mania next, probably alongside a less 2D game. And probably fail at it very much so. 

3 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

I think they’ll try their hands at their own in-house Mania next, probably alongside a less 2D game. And probably fail at it very much so. 

B-but Forces is their in-house Mania... Remixed stages + new stages... Pls stahp

33 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

B-but Forces is their in-house Mania... Remixed stages + new stages... Pls stahp

No, the “”remixed” stages” are treated as actual fucking LOCATIONS in Forces, and there is so far only three of them. 

19 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

No, the “”remixed” stages” are treated as actual fucking LOCATIONS in Forces, and there is so far only three of them. 

I believe you got ker-prank'd. 

@Jovahexeon Cala Maria Derailing the topic just to call out Jango for something the staff have already spoken about is not acceptable. SSMB isn't here so you can derail threads to score likes catching out members by digging up stuff they said in the past. Not stirring drama and flaming other members is one of the few rules we actually have here so please stand by it.

You've been spoken to about this before, stop.

@Jango I understand what you're trying to say but you've contributing to the derail here too. Drop the stuff from the other week. It's done.

• Thumbs Up 7

This guy though... trying to make it sound as if Mania was only well-received because it was 2D. I must have imagined the backlash against Sonic 4 or the fact that most people do not want classic Sonic in Forces, nor 2D sections in Modern games.

Oh, and Shadow is there to appeal the Adventure fans! Yes, because THAT is what people really liked and admired those games for. Not the quality Sonic stage gameplay, the multiple characters and stories, the Chao system or anything else that fans have asked for and requested for years. Just throw in Shadow and us Adventure fans will shut up. Heck no to that noise. Shadow being playable is the least they could do.

It sounds like based on what he's saying, they might actually take notes from Mania and try to incorporate what worked into 3D gameplay, but I don't trust that. It's going to be more half-baked "classic" gameplay, sola Sonica forever, and boost hallways with 2D segments. *Yawn* And if they're trying to bring the divided fanbase together, they are failing miserably. Forces has been as polarizing and divisive as just about any other game because the gameplay looks like such a huge downgrade from past games, for one thing. I do hope for the best though that we see amazing 3D Sonic again some day. The blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while...

• Thumbs Up 1

The comments about looking into Mania and using it as a base for a 3D Sonic game are all ringing pretty damn hollow to me.

Actions speak louder than words, and these words are coming from a studio who haven't been interested in, incorporated, and/or reproduced classic Sonic gameplay or consumer feedback into their games in any meaningful manner. A 3D Sonic game inspired by Mania/the classics would also be an antithesis to their entire approach of what constitutes (3D) Sonic game design as it is anyway. Sonic Team would had to literally educate themselves to not be Sonic Team or hire a new set of designers and directors at best, or be overhauled into an entirely different studio at worst, before being even capable of carrying out the task they're floating around.

Almost any other team out there has that done; people who actually have made a proper new classic Sonic game (Taxman/Stealth/PWG) included. And while Mania might be a 2D game and their only (official) work to date--it still hits, or comes very close to, the bullseye of a good Sonic game and a good Genesis Sonic game than any of Sonic Team's 10+ years of work at the end of the day. Pair them up with a studio/division who are seasoned in 3D games and interested in Genesis Sonic, and I'm sure the resulting collaborative effort, even at its worst-case scenario, would be a Mario Sunshine scenario--a game that needed more time in the oven and misses some beats, but is still a great game that provides the potential of being outclassed by a stellar sequel.

• Thumbs Up 5

I guess the thought never crossed Nakamura's mind that the reason people liked Sonic Mania was because it was a 2D Sonic Game done right. Considering his misguided statements about Mania's appeal and them wanting to capitalize on that for future games, things don't bode well for Modern Sonic, from what I'm seeing. Things are going to be just as superficial and uninspired as they are now.

7 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

This is the kind of pessimism that just makes me sick. I've been to forums for Jurassic Park, Star Wars, The Simpsons, The Hobbit, Godzilla, and other game series in worse condition than Sonic, and I've never seen negativity so ubiquitous. And it's not just you, and I'm not saying you cant criticize anything. But it's just so many people no matter what, even when it's the best thing we've heard from this team in years. 

Dude, we've heard pretty words like this from Sonic Team in the past. It's nothing new. Unless they actually show us that they're actually pushing this series forward, it's best to put your expectations as low as possible. Because the cold truth is that they themselves will just never learn...

• Thumbs Up 1

The most disappointing thing for me is that it really looked like Sonic Team were starting to 'get it' with Sonic Generations. That game is genuinely very well-designed. Seaside Hill in particular had amazing level design in both acts. Act 1 had a nice branching path structure and Act 2 was mostly well-designed 3D with only a couple 2D sections that flowed well with the rest of the stage. Why can't they just design the levels in Forces the same way they designed those levels just a few years ago? Clearly Sonic Team have good designers in their ranks. Did they all just get sacked or something? Same thing visually. Generations (and Unleashed) looked AMAZING back in 2011, so clearly they know how to make nice looking games. I have a feeling Forces had a much smaller budget than Gens (since they seem to be obsessed with reusing assets from that game) and that the wrong lessons were learnt from Lost World, namely that they can cut cost on visuals without people minding. Level design is the biggest confusion though. How can you go from amazing level design  to garbage level design with the same studio so quickly is beyond me. I can only hope that the later levels are better designed, but that hope is not very high. :(

"2D games are easier to get into"

I think this may explain some of the linear level design decisions for the 3D parts as well. They are trying to emulate this attribute of 2D while completely missing the point. Cuphead is 2D, well-received, and not 'easy to get into'.

• Thumbs Up 6

10 hours ago, Polkadi said:

A target demographic means an audience you are aiming for, not an audience that is the only one who can play the game.

Meaning, literally anyone can play the game, it doesn't even matter. They just want kids to play it more.

Yeah tell me about it. Remember that big E that's always on the boxes of Sonic games and the store pages like Steam and PSN? Sometimes accompanied with a 10+ like with Forces? I recall that at one time that E meant the game was suitable for everyone not just children, target audience be damned.

I don't know when people began disregarding what the big bold letter on the front of games meant and just began judging suitability based on appearances, but I'm sure Western animation fans might have the answer.

• Thumbs Up 2

This was more on the first page than recently, but I think a lot of people are misreading the "easy" comments in the interview.  Not once does he say the game is easy, just that it is easy to get into and understand.  We all know this is true, the virtues of the "one button" control scheme and logical gravity and momentum play for classic Sonic have been highlighted in discussions about them time and time again.

Having said that, I definitely can't denounce the good cause for pessimism that they'll only take away "It's 2D and... he rolls?  I think!?" from it but tbh I don't know much more they could do that wrong than what they're already doing with 2D in non-classic Sonic games.

• Thumbs Up 8

45 minutes ago, Maxtiis said:

I don't know when people began disregarding what the big bold letter on the front of games meant and just began judging suitability based on appearances, but I'm sure Western animation fans might have the answer.

The 80's with the rise of serialized animation to spawn toys and such. There was certainly animation for children before, disney was and still is the kind of that shit, but about the 80's thats when the saturday morning cartoon and " everything is a brand" market hit hella hard. And everything had a certoon for children, or toys for children even shit that its source material didn't really accommodate for like robo cop

I think the main probrem is “trying to unite the fandom with one game”.

I don’t care for Mania but I don’t give it much crap because it’s straight up said to be classic nostalgia to the extreme. Therefore it’s easy for me to ignore.

If there’s already a game tailor made Classic Sonic why include him in the Modern games?

The problem with Forces is that so contracdicting it pisses people off. Sure I was initially invested with a plot that was more serious than previous games but Classic Sonic, more 2D in 3D, and create your own instead of the many characters that’s been on the sidelines for years doesn’t make me want to throw $40 on the day of release.

What’s that? The Shadow DLC is meant to appeal to Adventure fans like me? Well maybe I wouuld appreciate it more if it was part of the main game and not made into last minute additions so that critics won’t complain about having a non-Sonic character playable even though it’s been a decade with just Sonic as the only option for a decade, there are fans who are sick of this and the OC creator doesn’t fill that void.

SEGA needs to fully understand their audience and that trying to win all of us over with one game is gonna cause more problems than solutions. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, andrew2 said:

The most disappointing thing for me is that it really looked like Sonic Team were starting to 'get it' with Sonic Generations. That game is genuinely very well-designed. Seaside Hill in particular had amazing level design in both acts. Act 1 had a nice branching path structure and Act 2 was mostly well-designed 3D with only a couple 2D sections that flowed well with the rest of the stage. Why can't they just design the levels in Forces the same way they designed those levels just a few years ago? Clearly Sonic Team have good designers in their ranks. Did they all just get sacked or something?

Apparently they've been assigned to the Mario & Sonic Olympics games. Why the hell didn't they just send the designers of this game towards that series is beyond me, since it's a waste of the Generations staff.

• Thumbs Up 4

13 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

I think the main probrem is “trying to unite the fandom with one game”.

In a way, I disagree. We've all said it a lot, but the Sonic fandom is fractured in large part due to the wildly different gameplay schemes he's gone through, to the point that there's really no solid idea of what Sonic should be anymore. Sonic absolutely needs something that can pull at least a large number of people back onto common ground so they can keep building and polishing it - the problem isn't in the idea, but rather the method. By just cramming several different styles into a game verbatim, ironically all they've done is codified these splits in the fandom even further, to the point that whatever's left of Sonic's identity might as well be just some misguided variation of schizophrenia in of itself.

They shouldn't be just tacking on several additional gamestyles at once so much as salvaging desirable traits from his offshoots into a single one and working from there. Everyone says they should use rolling physics in a 3D game for example, yeah? Stuff like that would be a pretty good start.

• Thumbs Up 6

On 24/10/2017 at 11:17 AM, pppp said:

Apparently they've been assigned to the Mario & Sonic Olympics games. Why the hell didn't they just send the designers of this game towards that series is beyond me, since it's a waste of the Generations staff.

Omg, this BLOWS my mind.

Sonic Generations, this time around designed by different developers at Sonic Team, does an excellent job with its level design and gameplay. Their hard work is paid off with good reviews and sales. 

Fuck it, let’s not keep them for Sonic Lost World and other future Sonic games. We’ll dump ‘em on Mario & Sonic, a franchise that hasn’t been relevant since 2010. Oh and for that matter, let’s start from scratch again with our gameplay and do something completely different! I’m sure everything will be FINE!

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

Omg, this BLOWS my mind.

Sonic Generations, this time around designed by different developers at Sonic Team, does an excellent job with its level design and gameplay. Their hard work is paid off with good reviews and sales. 

Fuck it, let’s not keep them for Sonic Lost World and other future Sonic games. We’ll dump ‘em on Mario & Sonic, a franchise and that hasn’t been relevant since 2010. Oh and for that matter, let’s start from scratch again with our gameplay and do something completely different! I’m sure everything will be FINE!

Hiroshi Miyamoto's resume according to SEGA Retro. Basically he was the big creative force behind the first 2 Riders games. I actually thought the first Riders had really good character driven humor, so I wouldn't mind him writing a main game.

Point is, SEGA is terrible at managing their staff. In other news the Earth is round.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, pppp said:

Hiroshi Miyamoto's resume according to SEGA Retro. Basically he was the big creative force behind the first 2 Riders games. I actually thought the first Riders had really good character driven humor, so I wouldn't mind him writing a main game.

Point is, SEGA is terrible at managing their staff. In other news the Earth is round.

Well unlike Nakamura he has at least one good Sonic game in his resume. 

I'm too lazy to check, but who worked on level design in Generations? And what else did they do?

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, pppp said:

The lead game designer of Gens was the system designer of Lost World apparently. He was also a daytime level designer for Unleashed according to Mobygames:

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/yoshinobu-uba/credits/developerId,413266/

Also allow me to quote from an older post of Yeow:

The credits roll of Generations doesn't specify level designers, so I'm assuming the Game designers are who did that. Also apparently the Lost World level designers are Kishimoto's personal crew since they were also the ones behind Colors level design:

It's pretty safe to assume that Kishimoto is using this same team for Forces as well.

My guess is that when Miyamoto moved to the Mario & Sonic series he took Uba and some others with him. Yamaguchi and Okada stuck around for Lost World, so they might still be involved in Forces.

When Forces comes out we'll have the final puzzle piece to pinpoint why the huge decline in level design from Gens to Forces.

Iizuka, please switch it around. Put Kishimoto on Mario & Sonic where he won't bother anyone and put Miyamoto as a game director(and his Gens team) and Nakamura as producer and scenario director. Writing can be a joint effort between the 2 why not.

Thanks.

Well to be completely honest, the level design staff is more or less consistent between the games, so I stand corrected, and the issue is not with level designers, but with direction and game designers.

Anyone would perform badly with a crappy direction.