Awoo.

Sonic Forces demo- Green Hill (Modern Sonic gameplay)

HedgehogBR

The lack of the drift has been my biggest defining problem with Modern Sonic and the lack of it is a huge evidence at the major disjoint the Gameplay is suffering from, the demo has only made this feeling worst for me.

3/4 Years of development for this. I don't know man.

I mean i like the spectacle but it has no fruit if the gameplay is so lacking.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

And by the way, the reason why there exists "Classic pandering" is because those games have always been received very positively by most of the gaming community and were very successful in sales. Its why we call them Classics in the first place. No one applies the classic label to Sonic's Modern games, cause they ain't really been too good in overall quality and have progressively declined in sales over time. 

Even Sonic 4, a 2D game, has been criticized heavily in comparison to the 90s era primarily because the designers are not the same people and it shows. That game was mediocre like the rest of Modern Sonic's history largely is.

We get it you like the Classic era. That doesn't mean I'm gonna start kissing it's ass just the because the gaming community is. Is it a really a problem that I want Modern Sonic to stand on its own feet without cheap overused tactics to win over biased critics who won't let the 90s go?

If anything the idea that SEGA continues "everyone should looove the classic era" attitude is very pathetic. 

If SEGA wants to continue Classic wankfest with more Mania games that's fine. But understand that there is an audience who don't care for it nor that we should.

Lol a one minute demo? That's pathetic. Between this demo and the absolutely awful marketing for the game, it really seems like they're trying to hide this game rather than boldly advertise it, and that can't mean anything good. I feel like this has been one of the most boring news cycles for a new Sonic game ever, and that's sad when this puppy supposedly had a four year development and is supposed to be something of a late anniversary game. I vaguely think the avatar gameplay looks fun if only because it seems like there's a lot more to do, but the boost fest linear modern gameplay is making Colors look appealing, and I can't stand that game. Poor classic gets nothing more than that same tired boss fight. I would consider downloading the demo, but it's not worth the hassle for a lousy minute of gameplay. Why couldn't they be bothered to just let us finish the stage/boss? Is the game so lacking in content they don't wanna spoil it all? 

All of the previous posts about how Sonic fans aren't enough to sell the games anymore are completely spot on, and that's why it's abundantly clear that this game is not made for the fans. The shallow gameplay and character creator are there to appeal to little kids who don't have the attention span for games that are longer or more challenging. This game is not for the fans. It only has a few small amount of features there to superficially appeal to long time Sonic fans like classic Sonic, the Shadow DLC, and the half-baked attempt at a big cast of characters, but since none of those things are executed well, we're left with most veteran Sonic fans disapproving of this game, myself included in most ways. Sonic Team themselves said the game was aimed more at a broader audience than Mania, but I think that's nothing more than a fluffy PR way of saying it's for little kids who've never played Sonic before. That would explain why the earlier Forces stages are barely a minute long with very little going on in terms of badniks, gimmicks, platforming, interacting with the stage environments, etc. Just boosting and automatic segments. I don't think reaching out to new players has to mean sub-par gameplay, but I struggle to think of what else could explain why the game looks so awful. They need better level designers, or better yet, a brand new team that knows what the heck they're doing. 

• Thumbs Up 9

1 minute ago, Nix said:

The "that's just your opinion" card doesn't work when you argue that we should deal with it and just conform to your opinion instead.

Just now, KHCast said:

...what? This isn't hard to get. If someone doesn't like the direction of something, it's natural to hope it doesn't do well and continue going in a stagnating direction. Ex: if you're a aliens fan, are you not a "good fan" for wanting that piece of shit Coloniel Marines to fail? Or if you're a Sonic fan, for wanting 06 to bomb and embarrass sega? Are you a bad fan?

yor posts reeks of hypocrisy and elitism if I'm perfectly honest 

Nix, believe me, that is not my intent. That said, there is more to what I am saying than you can apparently see.

KH: You're not being perfectly honest, nor are you right. Like I said above, there is more to what I am saying than you may see. If a person doesn't like that Marines game, fine by me, but that is an entirely different game here, not the same situation. Plus, there may be people who enjoyed the game, or liked what they saw before it was released. Either way, why not let them enjoy it and give constructive criticism instead for the next game? And Sonic is nothing like Marines, anyway.

4 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

Are you even serious right now?

2 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

...you are kidding right?

Ok, what did I misconstrue this time? Did he not just clearly imply that the classic games have the title “classic” because they’re higher quality than modern games? He just said that modern games aren’t called “classic” because they aren’t, quote: “too good in overall quality”. Did I somehow take that the wrong way?

Just now, Kellan said:

I think the reason people don’t call Modern “classic” has more to do with him having green eyes, and less to do with some underlying, overarching assumption about the quality of every game released from 1998 to 2011, and almost every game after that.

I mean you can be snarky if you want but why did Sonic Team designate a "Classic Sonic" in the first place? Because they know their history. They could have easily called him "Pixel Sonic", or "2D Sonic", or something else. But they didn't because everyone knows what Sonic used to be and what he's become today. Sonic Team knows it, the entire company knows it. Geez. This should not have to be said. He was once a legitimate rival to Mario for top platformer but now has become a meme-y joke franchise. 

And yeah, it probably (and almost certainly) does have something to do with an assumption about the quality of every Sonic game from 1998 to 2011. Or have you not noticed SEGA saying things like this at every opportunity they get:

https://www.destructoid.com/sega-sez-new-sonic-to-be-inspired-by-how-it-played-in-its-heyday--318133.phtml

They've publicly admitted at least a half dozen times how Sonic has not had an easy transition to 3D. Every reviewer and their mother starts Sonic review articles with a line or two in that vein of thought. I don't know what planet you could be from and not know this.

My point was obviously that Classic Sonic is deserving of the praise he's always gotten and is considered a legend in gaming history...and Modern Sonic is on the far opposite end of that spectrum. 

• Thumbs Up 6

10 minutes ago, ScaryCrystalSkull said:

Nix, believe me, that is not my intent. That said, there is more to what I am saying than you can apparently see.

KH: You're not being perfectly honest, nor are you right. Like I said above, there is more to what I am saying than you may see. If a person doesn't like that Marines game, fine by me, but that is an entirely different game here, not the same situation. Plus, there may be people who enjoyed the game, or liked what they saw before it was released. Either way, why not let them enjoy it and give constructive criticism instead for the next game? And Sonic is nothing like Marines, anyway.

They can enjoy 06/Marines. Doesn't mean I want them to keep making games like that just cause some fans like it 

it being a different game doesn't matter? Your logic doesn't just apply to Sonic. "You're a bad fan if you hope for something you like to fail"

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

They can enjoy 06. Doesn't mean I want them to keep making games like that just cause some fans like it 

Doesn't mean Forces will be as bad. I know you probably don't wanna hear this again, but much more of the game has yet to be seen, anyways.

Just now, ScaryCrystalSkull said:

Doesn't mean Forces will be as bad. I know you probably don't wanna hear this again, but much more of the game has yet to be seen, anyways.

Are you just intentionally missing the point?

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Feanor said:

Why is it that others are allowed to like what they see but I'm selfish for wanting the franchise to grow and improve? 

Isn't it obvious? It's because you're bashing the game and bashing the game means other people aren't allowed to like it.

Negativity trumps Positivity.

• Chuckle 1

"b-but it's the time limit, there's more to the stage boohooo"

edit2:

I'm actually not sure anymore but there's definitely something wrong at 0:34

• Thumbs Up 8

Not sure what the whole debate over the classic terminology has to do with this topic let alone...anything.

I mean, it's  not that deep, they call that version of the character Classic because of the design more than anything. "Pixel Sonic" and "2D Sonic" are awkward in comparison, people are instantly going to know what you're talking about if you just say "classic". This goes for a lot of long-running franchises.

• Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Are you just intentionally missing the point?

I don't think so. Why you ask? Sonic Forces has not been out yet. We don't even know how bad it is. Plus, even if you weren't a bad fan for wanting a game to fail, you certainly aren't such a good one, either.

6 minutes ago, Feanor said:

This attitude right here is exactly why I want the game to bomb. I am sick and tired of Sonic games that "aren't the worst thing in the world". Excuse me for wanting better than that. Why is it that others are allowed to like what they see but I'm selfish for wanting the franchise to grow and improve? 

It's not bad for wanting a franchise to improve, but rather wanting it to be made in a way that appeals to you when nothing else can do so apparently, that, and Sonic has a bad reputation as it is. Wanting a Sonic game to bomb at the expense of making Sonic more laughable is quite selfish.

2 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

And we are done. So it seems that alternate path isn´t an alternate path after all.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, ScaryCrystalSkull said:

I don't think so. Why you ask? Sonic Forces has not been out yet. We don't even know how bad it is. Plus, even if you weren't a bad fan for wanting a game to fail, you certainly aren't such a good one, either.

We don't know how bad it gets, but we know it's a turd.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, ScaryCrystalSkull said:

So yeah you are missing the point 

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

We get it you like the Classic era. That doesn't mean I'm gonna start kissing it's ass just the because the gaming community is. Is it a really a problem that I want Modern Sonic to stand on its own feet without cheap overused tactics to win over biased critics who won't let the 90s go?

If anything the idea that SEGA continues "everyone should looove the classic era" attitude is very pathetic. 

If SEGA wants to continue Classic wankfest with more Mania games that's fine. But understand that there is an audience who don't care for it nor that we should.

What I like and what you like are irrelevant. And you can kiss who you want I guess. I'm not trying to have this base level of discussion with you. Modern Sonic has had a rough go of things and has not done the tradition well, is my point. And I'll mention this is in both 2D and 3D, since you seem to think I'm allergic to Modern games and 3D for some reason.

I badly want Modern Sonic to succeed and stand on its own two feet. I enjoyed the heck out of Generations, and Sonic Adventure 1 is one of my favorite Sonic games all time. I want nothing more than for Modern Sonic to finally nail the gameplay in the third dimension and explore a regime that Classic Sonic never could. I've been asking for this exact thing since the 90s, along with every other Sonic fan who remembers those days. We're not just asking for more 2D Mania type games here, or else you wouldn't hear us chattering about how lackluster this game looks. Almost every Classic fan wants the best for Sonic, period, in both 2D and 3D. 

The problem is that Sonic Team has repeatedly flopped in their efforts and Modern is most notable for being the punching bag on their efforts. Its not going to be easy to repair Modern's reputation without a drastic change, even if Sonic Team were suddenly replaced by a more motivated and passionate group of developers. And I do think a change of that nature would probably tick off some fans (probably someone like you) in a lot of ways but it'd still be necessary. Sonic Team can't keep floundering because they don't know how to direct their IP.

But forget about what I want because mostly likely it ain't happening anyway. Its just my opinion. I respect your right to one as well and your love for the things you love. Even the villains trailer for this game made me smile a bit because even though I don't care for that sort of thing, many fans from that era do and I knew immediately they'd like seeing it.

Still have my opinion though. We're not taking any votes here.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

So yeah you are missing the point 

And what might that be?

2 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

We don't know how bad it gets, but we know it's a turd.

Maybe to you and some others here, but not to everyone else as far as I have seen.

That not wanting something you find bad to thrive doesn't make you a bad fan  and that you can still be a good fan that loves the series

Edited by KHCast
  • Thumbs Up 4

8 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

So can we take it that any meaningful time spent post-Wisps that the player isn't Boosting is completely automated?  The loop, the side-running on sand, all staged?

...Just a thought, but I wonder if any of those "over 10" Modern Sonic stages referenced in the Shadow DLC might include boss fights.  If so, the possible zone count of this game could be rather lower than assumed...

11 minutes ago, ScaryCrystalSkull said:

Maybe to you and some others here, but not to everyone else as far as I have seen.

So why dont you spend some time telling everybody why the game is great instead of telling the critics why they're wrong or selfish.

Not backseat modding here just really sick of being the one making the argument against this title and being told I'm just wrong or selfish and having nothing to bounce off on as a counter point.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, FFWF said:

So can we take it that any meaningful time spent post-Wisps that the player isn't Boosting is completely automated?  The loop, the side-running on sand, all staged?

...Just a thought, but I wonder if any of those "over 10" Modern Sonic stages referenced in the Shadow DLC might include boss fights.  If so, the possible zone count of this game could be rather lower than assumed...

Actually yeah, the game won't let you boost during automated sections anymore for some reason.

So everytime Sonic isn't boosting there, you can let go of the controller :P

Just now, Mayor D said:

So why dont you spend some time telling everybody why the fame is great instead of telling the critics why theyre wrong or selfish.

Not backseat modding here just really sick of being the one making the argument against this title and being told I'm just wrong or selfish and having nothing to bounce off on as a counter point.

^This so much.

I'm tired of analyzing this game, over and over again just to hear some rando say "you're a hater" and dismiss the facts I point out.

If you wanna engage in a discussion, back up what you're saying.

Pick some screens of sections in that level that are good. At the very least decent, acceptable level design.

Anything.

• Thumbs Up 5

Oh and GameXplain analysed the demo.

They hated it. They think it's awful and believe it's intentionally hiding things.

They felt what gameplay they did play was dull and boring across all characters. He even laughs at how bad the avatars combat is.

• Thumbs Up 7