Awoo.

Sonic Forces demo- Green Hill (Modern Sonic gameplay)

HedgehogBR

1 hour ago, Straw Hat said:

Sonic...? You uh, alright there, bud...?

What the world?

Spoiler

Sonic forces himself to beat him meat while running.

That missing block might be a gag at all the fan games use green hill in their levels.

36 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

Actually yeah, the game won't let you boost during automated sections anymore for some reason.

So everytime Sonic isn't boosting there, you can let go of the controller :P

...So, I pretty much just eyeballed it, but it looks like out of a one-minute speedrun then for maybe twenty seconds, a third of the level, you have no control and the game literally plays itself?  Granted, most people won't play that well, and many won't want to, but that's not a positive sign.

The fact that the Modern Sonic level is just about beatable in the minute time limit they give seems to justify the opinion that the time limit exists solely to disguise how short the levels are.

• Thumbs Up 8

2 minutes ago, FFWF said:

...So, I pretty much just eyeballed it, but it looks like out of a one-minute speedrun then for maybe twenty seconds, a third of the level, you have no control and the game literally plays itself?  Granted, most people won't play that well, and many won't want to, but that's not a positive sign.

The fact that the Modern Sonic level is just about beatable in the minute time limit they give seems to justify the opinion that the time limit exists solely to disguise how short the levels are.

Yeah well, those are the 20 seconds where you have literally no control over Sonic, but what about the rest of the time where you have no other options than going forward at a set speed?

That counts as automation too in my book.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, it's encouraging to see that the Switch version doesn't crash and burn as previously reported. But otherwise, I don't see anything massively offensive here. I think (judging from what I've seen and played so far) that Sonic Team have seemingly gone for a simpler approach with their game structure and design than in Unleashed/Generations for sure (perhaps it's too linear? The jury's still out on that until the final product is out). For all we know this could work in the games favour anyway. 

But does it not get exhausting to berate a game that clearly isn't really that terrible? I mean, it's certainly not broken and looks the part at the very least. I guess from my standpoint I don't particularly get why this is heralded as "awful/bad" when we've had much much worse offenders in this franchise. I think if anything it's legitimately safe to say that at worst players will find the game mediocre if the current direction isn't to their liking, but below that is... really pushing the mark I think. 

What horrifies me is that the team involved with making/promoting this game likely read a lot of what is written on this board - so how must they feel? I'm not saying that anyone isn't entitled to their own opinion or freedom of speech and such etc... but man, there some really harsh sentences out there in the wild - and worse still, for an UNRELEASED product - and a lot of these posts are directing Sonic Team in how to make the game they are making for us?! 

Sure, I have my own problems with the level direction at times (see; the tweet updates). But I wouldn't stoop to a point of verbally spelling out to Sonic Team what they should & shouldn't know and how and what to do with their game's direction. I find it kinda disrespectful, unprofessional, and also belittling to a Team that have (bar '06) given me countless hours of personal enjoyment and escapism for 25 years.

But... that's me. I can't really backup much in the way of what I feel about this game. I can understand the points raised against the game, but most of them just aren't really a big deal in the grand scheme of things, at least not to me. So it just means either my tastes are very different, or my tolerance levels are super duper high haha! But then, I was one of those that really enjoyed Sonic Lost World, that's still one of my favourite experimental titles to go back to. Loads of fun that one.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think we can all gather that this demo was extremely rushed just to get a demo out there. Aaron Webber kept telling us that they have no news on a demo and a few days later this pops up out of nowhere.

As for the level design, practically just what I expected from it, but I didn't expect it to be this short. From the videos, people were able to reach the ending before the timer ran out, and if that's the real length of the stage, then it's extremely disappointing. Sonic Generations' Modern Green Hill was 6 years ago and it's literally better than this in every single way.

• Thumbs Up 7

3 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

Well, it's encouraging to see that the Switch version doesn't crash and burn as previously reported. But otherwise, I don't see anything massively offensive here. I think (judging from what I've seen and played so far) that Sonic Team have seemingly gone for a simpler approach with their game structure and design than in Unleashed/Generations for sure (perhaps it's too linear? The jury's still out on that until the final product is out). For all we know this could work in the games favour anyway. 

But does it not get exhausting to berate a game that clearly isn't really that terrible? I mean, it's certainly not broken and looks the part at the very least. I guess from my standpoint I don't particularly get why this is heralded as "awful/bad" when we've had much much worse offenders in this franchise. I think if anything it's legitimately safe to say that at worst players will find the game mediocre if the current direction isn't to their liking, but below that is... really pushing the mark I think. 

What horrifies me is that the team involved with making/promoting this game likely read a lot of what is written on this board - so how must they feel? I'm not saying that anyone isn't entitled to their own opinion or freedom of speech and such etc... but man, there some really harsh sentences out there in the wild - and worse still, for an UNRELEASED product - and a lot of these posts are directing Sonic Team in how to make the game they are making for us?! 

Sure, I have my own problems with the level direction at times (see; the tweet updates). But I wouldn't stoop to a point of verbally spelling out to Sonic Team what they should & shouldn't know and how and what to do with their game's direction. I find it kinda disrespectful, unprofessional, and also belittling to a Team that have (bar '06) given me countless hours of personal enjoyment and escapism for 25 years.

But... that's me. I can't really backup much in the way of what I feel about this game. I can understand the points raised against the game, but most of them just aren't really a big deal in the grand scheme of things, at least not to me. So it just means either my tastes are very different, or my tolerance levels are super duper high haha! But then, I was one of those that really enjoyed Sonic Lost World, that's still one of my favourite experimental titles to go back to. Loads of fun that one.

I understand what you mean, and I agree. In response to the bolded part, seems the fans have more than a lot of energy to spend on things relating to all things Sonic.

4 hours ago, Zippo said:

All I'm going to say is...The leak/Spoilers thread that's likely going up next week is going to be incredible.

The crazy shit I've heard in my discord chat cannot be real.

Pm me that right now. I have to know

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Night on Balding Mountain said:

Pm me that right now. I have to know

I'm genuinely curious too.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, FFWF said:

Granted, most people won't play that well, and many won't want to, but that's not a positive sign.

What do you mean "play that well" outside of sliding shenanigans that really only saved 1 second, the person playing was only air boosting over everything. That doesn't take much skill.

Also I'm not even really sure, but it looks like air boosting gives Sonic a noticeable lift...

I'm sure many of you remember how I defended this game. Well, no more, they just gave us the worst level yet, and probably the single worst not-frustrating level in he entire series. That was fucking garbage. I'm bumping my expectations down from "good" to "just okay," which is honestly pathetic at this point in Sonic Team's lifespan. Then there's Nakamura's comments on how they want to analyze what made Sonic Mania great, implying that they themselves know their game isn't. What I just witnessed was basically a fucking paid version of Sonic Dash; how embarrassing is it that the gimmick character this time around is actually looking better than the core gameplay? Fuck, man. 

• Thumbs Up 9

1 minute ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

I'm sure many of you remember how I defended this game. Well, no more, they just gave us the worst level yet, and probably the single worst not-frustrating level in he entire series. That was fucking garbage. I'm bumping my expectations down from "good" to "just okay," which is honestly pathetic at this point in Sonic Team's lifespan. Then there's Nakamura's comments on how they want to analyze what made Sonic Mania great, implying that they themselves know their game isn't. What I just witnessed was basically a fucking paid version of Sonic Dash; how embarrassing is it that the gimmick character this time around is actually looking better than the core gameplay? Fuck, man. 

Amen. We've been saying that for months, glad this demo made you realize that our criticism wasn't made of smoke.

• Thumbs Up 6

8 minutes ago, Speedi said:

It's not disrespectful or unprofessional. LOL We're giving this company our fucking money so they can keep making games and as a consumer we have all right to vocalize our complaints with a  product we are paying for. Also I don't really understand where this mentality of "Oh, it's not 06 bad so you should just be grateful for what it is" comes from and why people seem to think it's a not awful justification to get people to stop complaining. If you're a fan of something you want it to naturally be as awesome as possible, so why is it so bad to give this game shit for being nothing more then another mediocre Sonic game? 

Thank God you said Mediocre, first time I've read the word in a while. I'm ok with you. :P

But... it is pretty disrespectful - especially if said game is not fully out in the wild. Would you tell the chef who's cooking your meal mid-way through that what he's done so far looks pretty bad? No. This is why I think it must be quite demoralising for them to read, let the damn game come out first. 

Sonic Team shouldn't go out of their way to make one game for a set collective to be happy (well, ok... maybe they did the right thing there with Sonic Mania - but look what also happened when they listened to us over wanting a Shadow the Hedgehog Game).

I think the general rule for most game companies is that they do what they feel is the right direction for them - even if sometimes we feel it isn't the right direction for us. 

2 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

And yet I would expect them to evaluate that game from tip to toe and somehow walk away with the dead wrong impression on what made it great.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

But... it is pretty disrespectful

Oh no, we're disrespecting a AAA company.

Also yeah if a chef was shitting on my burger or throwing rat poison in or something, I'd tell him he's doing a shit job

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 3

5 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

But... it is pretty disrespectful - especially if said game is not fully out in the wild. Would you tell the chef who's cooking your meal mid-way through that what he's done so far looks pretty bad? No. This is why I think it must be quite demoralising for them to read, let the damn game come out first.

The steak is on fire in the pan, yeah I'd tell him he's straight fuckin it up.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 2

This has confirmed where the mentality of the Sonic Team and director are wanting 3D sonic.  As a lover of World Adventure, this is sadly disappointing to see. The entire level consistent of nothing but straight lines, then a obligatory 2D perspective within a few seconds. I'm not sure why they continue to do so with this sort of design. Sure it's visually nice(better than Lost World but doesn't say much) and makes the game visually on par with World Adventure. Though it took almost a decade to finally get right so that doesn't do much for me.

Quite sad to see the director of Colors taking over for the mainline Sonic games. It's clear that he cannot evolve the formula in the slightest and tacks on something such the "Wisp" which doesn't seem to provide a narrative purpose for the game. I don't understand...Those are living creatures with minds of their own yet they are reduced to items? Colors had this problem but at least the Wisp mattered. Here they are wasted potential and have no reason to be here

With the game showcasing average levels, average mechanics and an average story....

Sega managed to make Lost World look actually more fun. I'm serious. Despite Colors suffering from Mario/Colors syndrome, I appreciated them trying to make a new experience and attempting to bring back some of the Sonic X-treme elements. Here? Forces is such a copy and pasted game. There is too much in the similarity department to have the game feel diverse.  Unlike World Adventure where you had two vastly different game design(which worked well) they were fleshed out and innovative. Different physics, different levels of progression etc.

Anyways...The demo is ass due to Sega's incompetency(or whoever issues the demo being short). 

The only compliment I can give this game are it having better textures and graphics...

Though at times World Adventure still looks better, especially with cutscenes. 

• Thumbs Up 2