Awoo.

Sonic Forces demo- Green Hill (Modern Sonic gameplay)

HedgehogBR

Just now, GuyWithThePie said:

Yeah, I just took a closer look and the difference is really jarring. It literally does look like something from a PS2 game. They couldn't even bother using the shiny metallic material used in other versions?

Low poly backgrounds, objects replaced by textures, PS2 era lighting, loss of lighting bouncing, worse GIA.

It looks like an iOS port of the game if you ask me. The Switch is able to handle much more than that.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd just play 06 honestly. At least there the incomplete design came from Sega making the team redo the game from scratch and rushing it out. I'm not saying 06 is more polished but it's a more interesting game to me(and I do like it to a degree).

Ok I defended every single thing this game had release. From small things like defending Fist Bump (which is a great song and no one on this damn planet can tell me otherwise) to defending the Classic Green Hill but not this time. I even went on my twitter defending the linearity in Forces by comparing it other linear Sonic levels (which I dont regret)This is just awful. Did anyone notice that the music in this stage was from the mobile phone? I digress, this level feels so empty. Make your complaint about Unleashed and Generations linear level design but at least those games had stuff happening. Here its so dry. And yes the linearity is a problem. Even the only alternate path doesn't help this level because you are just boosting 2 win. Sega I ain't asking you to make some Mario Odyssey or Breath of the Wild open world style of Sonic (because Sonic Utopia exists and in my opinion its pretty boring) but you did it so right with Generations and seeing it here makes it so disappointing. Still buying it though.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

Low poly backgrounds, objects replaced by textures, PS2 era lighting, loss of lighting bouncing, worse GIA.

It looks like an iOS port of the game if you ask me. The Switch is able to handle much more than that.

I guess they didn't have as much time to polish certain areas. For example, the Eggman boss now looks like an ever-so-slightly lower poly version of its more powerful counterparts, down to the lighting and everything. The only immediately noticable difference is the lower amount of grass. But Space Port? The difference is like night and day.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ehhh I take back that comment about the Switch version looking really good. I mean it’s okay enough, but ew at those low poly backgrounds. 

Anyway, I’m astounded by this game. It’s such a mess gameplay wise it’s not even funny. Even Sonic Colours isn’t as automated as this. Bloody hell they even had the drifting which this game doesn’t have apparently! Don’t even get me started on Avatar which looks like a boring chore to play. Then again, it ALL looks boring to play! 

I hope they release this demo very soon in the west so I can give it a try myself. I don’t feel like creating a Japanese account, and I want to actually control the game to know how it feels. Not looking forward to it though. ><

• Thumbs Up 9

2 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

Ehhh I take back that comment about the Switch version looking really good. I mean it’s okay enough, but ew at those low poly backgrounds. 

Anyway, I’m astounded by this game. It’s such a mess gameplay wise it’s not even funny. Even Sonic Colours isn’t as automated as this. Bloody hell they even had the drifting which this game doesn’t have apparently! Don’t even get me started on Avatar which looks like a boring chore to play. Then again, it ALL looks boring to play! 

I hope they release this demo very soon in the west so I can give it a try myself. I don’t feel like creating a Japanese account, and I want to actually control the game to know how it feels. Not looking forward to it though. ><

Yeah, no way in hell am I messing around with the Switch store for a dogshit Sonic level on the worst version available. 

• Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

If anything this will ensure the game bombs critically, if the low quality bar they've set for themselves wasn't enough already.

I would be careful with that. In part because of what @JezMM said about that issue being one you have to go out of your way to try. It would be like saying that Sonic Generations is fated to bomb because, if you equip the faster brake, you can stop in the middle of the intro segment of Seaside Hill and mess around with the predictable glitches, messed up controls, and death if you get stuck or otherwise can't exit the intro segment in some way. Yeah, its a glaring problem and one that should have been caught before release considering how easy it is to pull off, but you have to go out of your way to do it and it will not pop up in normal gameplay.

Also, I do know some basics about the professional review industry. Its grueling to be a professional reviewer. You have a deadline where you must publish multiple reviews, regardless of how long each assigned game is. You do not get to choose these games, so at least one of the games you have to review is bound to be one from a series you hate or is a concept you simply aren't interested in or like. This is assuming you don't also have to tailor to the guidelines that the sponsors who are needed to get you a paycheck (particularly online) but will only stay on board so long as you praise their games, as well as executive mandates to give an intentionally controversial review for clicks.

So say you are a professional reviewer who has been randomly assigned a Sonic game despite the fact that you have zero interest in Sonic and especially 3D Sonic, but also like getting paid and having a job. There's a couple of approaches. You could be like the IGN video Unleashed reviewer-- only playing the bare minimum that you need for footage, not even trying to play well, and trashing the game. Or you could take the Gameinformer Sonic Generations reviewer approach-- where you phone it in and complain about the most petty things because you're being forced to play a title you have no interest in when you could be playing Sonic titles you are interested in. Or... what if you didn't have to exert much to complete the whole game? What if the game and its levels were short, so you had the time to play more if not all of them? What if this gave you more time to work on reviewing games that you've been assigned that you actually do care about? Now, that's a game that your tired, stressed, and bored self would appreciate! You might, however, admit that its not the sort of thing a more dedicated player would want and review it negatively. You wouldn't be like most reviewers though, who would actively encourage more games like Forces to make their job easier and less stressful.

Its pretty screwed up, I totally agree, but I am giving you a different perspective on the matter. Honestly, I don't even think that review scores from major companies and sales data alone are good enough to assess the quality of the game given how untrustworthy the industry is. From my perspective, if Forces is to be a failure, I want it to be because of the game's content and mistakes, not because so-and-so didn't like it and fans treating the reviews and sales as absolute fact instead of a sign of popularity and/or corporate mandates because it suits them.

3 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

I FUCKING CAN'T RIGHT NOW 

Already posted but yeah, this is so bad I can’t even. 

Again, can’t wait until Sonic Forces leaks next week. There’s bound to be more stuff like this hidden away. Oh God imagine if the story is trash too. D:

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Sonikko said:

Come on, I'm on fire today

Yeah, and I'm suprised no one brought a bucket of water yet.

• Chuckle 2

2 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

>but it's for the kidz

What's the next excuse? Come on, I'm on fire today

Uh.. well... umm.. "you'd like it when you were a kid!"

• Thumbs Up 1

So is it pretty much confirmed at this point all Modern levels will be extremely linear? Seems like Avatar is platforming, Modern is racing, and Classic is classic.

1 minute ago, Creep Dude said:

Yeah, and I'm suprised no one brought a bucket of water yet.

I'm not being offensive or rude to anyone, so, I'm not sure what you're suggesting here.

4 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

>but it's for the kidz

To be fair, that looked more like he was annoyed that he couldn't play anymore. Also he sucks at the game despite it being heavily simplified. Don't show this to Sonic Team. 

I think pretty much everyone would benefit from calming down a bit... on all sides of all arguments.

No one has to, of course. Just my two cents.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

1 minute ago, Sonikko said:

I'm not being offensive or rude to anyone, so, I'm not sure what you're suggesting here.

Why can't I ever make jokes without being misinterpreted and having words in my mouth?

I wasn't "suggesting" anything, just joking about putting you out.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

To be fair, that looked more like he was annoyed that he couldn't play anymore. Also he sucks at the game despite it being heavily simplified. Don't show this to Sonic Team. 

He literally said boring at the end of the video.

On Youtube, someone mentioned that Hardlight (Sonic Dash) is helping develop Sonic Forces. Some stuff makes sense if that is true.

There's a difference between aiming for the kids and actually successfully being popular with the kids. Sonic Team might be trying to reach the kiddies, but only time will tell if they actually pull that off. The demo is a minute long. No one is going to find it fun. The demo, and pretty much all of the gameplay we've seen so far is an insult to children. Even kids know better games than this. 

Which reminds me of the time my 8-year-old cousin told me he didn't like Sonic Colors. Kishimoto really needs to keep his hands off Sonic games if the end goal is in fact to draw in the 7-10 crowd. Just my two cents of course. 

• Thumbs Up 6

9 minutes ago, Autosaver said:

So is it pretty much confirmed at this point all Modern levels will be extremely linear? Seems like Avatar is platforming, Modern is racing, and Classic is classic.

It sure seems that way huh? =/ Sonic Colours looks more appealing than this, and I liked that game for what it was. After all, it had 2D blocky platforming and quite a few 3D running forward constantly moments, but IMO it was fun. Linear, but fun.

What the hell happened here? Something must have gone down in development and I expect we’ll find out soon enough what that was. I’m so curious to find out!

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

>but it's for the kidz

Haha, oh boy.

I feel like a jerk for laughing at that but I'm not sure how else to react. 

I could just flat out stop caring about things that happen in this franchise. But that would be a much worse fate for SEGA, methinks. Apathy is their worst enemy, especially considering Sonic's sales numbers. Our passion is seriously keeping this franchise afloat because ain't nobody else buying these games these days. They need people to care one way or the other.