Awoo.

Sonic Forces demo- Green Hill (Modern Sonic gameplay)

HedgehogBR

Played the JP PSN demo. And I can safely say, Modern Sonic would be fun to play if they didn't make him a magnet to the middle of an already narrow path, and gave him something to actually do in his levels. Y'know like, actual level design.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

English versions incoming:

Random tidbits:

-Green Hill's confirmed to be the first level. Tails does mention the city being under attack and Modern Sonic/Tails are in communication, when it's established the two get split up, forcing Tails to team up with Classic.

-Espio and the Chaotix are involved with the Avatar mission.

-Space Port seems to be the third zone, Espio mentions Infinite taking down Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

Well now, the in the in-level dialogue is actually pretty good there. As usual, Roger manages to deliver with flying colors. That time limit still fucking sucks though.

"Sand Hill", well played Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 6

Should I squeal in delight at that Sand Hill reference?

It does look like this game making an effort to at least connect the dots on the story and reference fronts.

• Thumbs Up 6

10 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

English versions incoming:

Random tidbits:

-Green Hill's confirmed to be the first level. Tails does mention the city being under attack and Modern Sonic/Tails are in communication, when it's established the two get split up, forcing Tails to team up with Classic.

-Espio and the Chaotix are involved with the Avatar mission.

-Space Port seems to be the third zone, Espio mentions Infinite taking down Sonic.

I wouldn't say that Green Hill is the first level for sure based on that. It could just as well be the point where Tails and Classic Sonic actually manage to find Modern Sonic, and be the point where he manages to join the resistance.

There are quite a few defeated Death Egg Robots around the area as well. Alongside the desertification of GHZ, it should be after Eggman takes over the world and there's already been quite a bit of fighting, from all looks and appearances.

If the "Larry" leak is entirely wrong about the order of events, though, (Sonic disappears due to a power Eggman obtains, Eggman takes over the world, the resistance is formed, and Tails gets depressed and searches for Sonic on his own) it's probably the first level, yeah.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just tried Modern Sonic on the demo. I honestly had a blast playing as modern Sonic! I just couldn't get enough with the time limit. I am excited for the rest of the game now!

• Thumbs Up 3

I forgot to add, the air boost in this game is really, really fun. The upwards arc it sends you at actually feels really cool when you jump.

• Thumbs Up 5

I have zero idea which level comes first. All this footage confirms is that specifically modern's Green Hill is before modern's City Heights.

8 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

I wouldn't say that Green Hill is the first level for sure based on that. It could just as well be the point where Tails and Classic Sonic actually manage to find Modern Sonic, and be the point where he manages to join the resistance.

There are quite a few defeated Death Egg Robots around the area as well. Alongside the desertification of GHZ, it should be after Eggman takes over the world and there's already been quite a bit of fighting, from all looks and appearances.

If the "Larry" leak is entirely wrong about the order of events, though, (Sonic disappears due to a power Eggman obtains, Eggman takes over the world, the resistance is formed, and Tails gets depressed and searches for Sonic on his own) it's probably the first level, yeah.

Considering the level's music (being a rendition of the main theme) and its ridiculously simple design compared to Sunset Heights... I'm pretty certain that this is, at the very least, the first Modern level in the game, if not the first level entirely. Frankly, I'd be surprised (and even more disappointed) if it wasn't.

• Thumbs Up 6

2 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

I have zero idea which level comes first. All this footage confirms is that specifically modern's Green Hill is before modern's City Heights.

if we were to assume there's a non-linear structure (as in, you could do Modern's GHZ first, then Sunset Heights, then Classic's GHZ etc), then it could mean GHZ and Sunset Modern first, Infinite kicks Sonic's ass and he goes missing, Classic and Rookie then begin going back to try find him, which explains their retrospective Sunset Heights and GHZ levels.

• Thumbs Up 2

*just realized Sand Hill was a Tails exclusive level*

GAH! They can't even do THAT RIGHT!

:lol:

26 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Played the JP PSN demo. And I can safely say, Modern Sonic would be fun to play if they didn't make him a magnet to the middle of an already narrow path, and gave him something to actually do in his levels. Y'know like, actual level design.

What did you type in to get it? I can't find it for the life of me. 

I couldn't find it there either. I just poked through the menus to find the section for new demos. You could try looking at an english one at the same time to find it, but I got to it from pure luck lol

1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Come again, say what???

5 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

GAH! They can't even do THAT RIGHT!

Nah if you go to the sub-games menu you can select it as Sonic. I think there's even an emblem for that.

Also because he's too good for us here's Gwolf making a video on the game

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Cala Maria said:

Come again, say what???

Sonic makes a joke that GHZ is looking more like Sand Hill, but that joke doesn't work right because Tails was the only character that could play Sand Hill back in SA1.

Tails should be the one making Sand Hill jokes.

(I think Sonic could play it in SADX through the stage select though. )

1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Sonic makes a joke that GHZ is looking more like Sand Hill, but that joke doesn't work right because Tails was the only character that could play Sand Hill back in SA1.

Tails should be the one making Sand Hill jokes.

(I think Sonic could play it in SADX through the stage select though. )

Eh, Sonic could play it in the Director's Cut. Besides, he could just as easily be quipping about the modifications to the area.

1 minute ago, Joseph Henry said:

If you fail the QTE you don't die

YOU GET ANOTHER PATH.

That's not the worst idea. Sonic's always operated on that "if you can do something perfectly, you get a better path" mentality. I'm not the biggest fan of do or die QTEs so I think having it transition between a better path is a good idea.

• Thumbs Up 8

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Seeing the almost complete lack of negative reaction to the time limit on the Japanese side of Twitter, I'm beginning to see why this demo is Japan only. 

This I'm honestly curious by.

So are the bad guystm using the sand worm to destroy the GHZ biome, Captain Planet villain style?  I don't see what they hope to accomplish by causing a dust bowl.  Are they bringing back the environmentalism subtext?  

1 minute ago, Joseph Henry said:

If you fail the QTE you don't die

YOU GET ANOTHER PATH.

Thats good right? People complain about insta-death QTEs

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Nah if you go to the sub-games menu you can select it as Sonic. I think there's even an emblem for that.

You can also get to Sand Hill with Sonic Via well timed Spindash

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1