Awoo.

Sonic Forces demo- Green Hill (Modern Sonic gameplay)

HedgehogBR

So I played the demo and I can say I like it just as much as Generations and Unleashed. Maybe it's because I just have fun boosting and speeding, but I found it fun! Also, I think there is much more to this game than just "OMG only one minute to beat it!" There are red rings and other collectibles in these levels to find. So there is much more replay here than people think.

Also on PS4, if you play on your English account, you get an English version! Not sure if that has been said.

• Thumbs Up 3

14 minutes ago, Ultimate Victory 64 said:

Hey look Sonic actually has a waiting animation

DNClY6PVwAANJtJ.jpg

I believe you've been bamboozled, good sir. That's just the cartwheel from quick-stepping while standing still.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Rummy said:

Advice for anyone who downloaded the Switch Demo, DON'T GO TO SLEEP MODE FOR TOO LONG WHILE THE GAME IS ACTIVE. IT WILL BRINK YOUR SWITCH LIKE IT NEARLY DID MINE.

If yours got bricked, my advice is to hold the power button for about 20 seconds and hope it doesn't black screen once it reloads and then delete the corrupted demo. Don't risk your Switch for this demo since it has the power to brink your switch. I got extremely lucky and i feel like others aren't so lucky right now.

I'M SERIOUS.

Oh well cool I left my switch at home. Asleep. With the application running.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

It's if you left it on sleep mode while the demo is active I believe.

>left in on sleep mode for 10 hours at least

Oh. No.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Limit Breaker Diamond said:

>left in on sleep mode for 10 hours at least

Oh. No.

As in left it on sleep mode with the demo on and in standby, not just downloaded on the system.

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

As in left it on sleep mode with the demo on and in standby, not just downloaded on the system.

Mine will be in that exact state, sleep mode with the demo on, for at least 12 total before I can get back to check on it. Hopefully it's fine.

FWIW I've left my switch on standby for a good several hours now. It's still perfectly fine so far.

Also, been playing the english version on PS4, and here's one more voice clip that stood out to me that the video showcasing it missed, iirc:

I love this comment because it basically solidifies Green Hill Zone as one of Sonic's favorite zones to hang out in, giving him an in-world reason for revisiting the place so often, while also giving him a bit of character in the process.

The last time that ever happened in a Sonic game was, I think, Black Knight, where they referenced a love for Chili Dogs? And that was a spin off. So to see something like that in a mainline game is fantastic, imo.

But also, if the sand and the wrecked Death Egg Robos weren't enough visually, it confirms that it was by Eggman's hand. Really seems like Sonic disappeared, and Eggman took over the world, before this level then, which makes the "first playable character" conundrum all the stranger...

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 2

Just now, The Deleter said:

The last time that ever happened in a Sonic game was, I think, Black Knight, where they referenced a love for Chili Dogs? And that was a spin off. So to see something like that in a mainline game is fantastic, imo.

He does that in Generations too. Chili dogs are pretty much canon in the games now.

Just now, CleverSonicUsername said:

He does that in Generations too. Chili dogs are pretty much canon in the games now.

Oh yeah, I mean they added that to his canon with that game. Generations may have referenced it later on, but Black Knight was the last game to introduce something like that, is what I'm saying.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

*just realized Sand Hill was a Tails exclusive level*

GAH! They can't even do THAT RIGHT!

:lol:

Tbh seems like one of those things where in order to make the joke we have to put some technicalities aside - like if he used Sandopolis or Shamar the "Hill" connection would be lost and it wouldn't even be a joke anymore, just an observation.

4 hours ago, AdventChild said:

In a couple years, SA1 is going to be twenty years old and even that has more idle animation than it does here. Heck, you can obviously say the same for the Genesis games too.

Wow, they couldn't even re-use his animations from Unleashed or Generations?  I wouldn't even mind if his basic standing animation was more animated, but the friggin' trees and flowers are more alive than he is here.  This is Sonic and with the stakes of this game, he's always going to be a hurry to get somewhere in every single level - they really should've cooked up a little jogging on the spot thing for him or have him open up his communicator in a visual manner to imply he's checking his route or something.

9 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

Also, been playing the english version on PS4, and here's one more voice clip that stood out to me that the video showcasing it missed, iirc:

I love this comment because it basically solidifies Green Hill Zone as one of Sonic's favorite zones to hang out in, giving him an in-world reason for revisiting the place so often, while also giving him a bit of character in the process.

I too would be mad if the last time I came to my favourite place it looked like this:

ZipTHt.png

And I came back to find it had been replaced with linear corridors and scripted events. =B

But blaming Eggman Sonic? Can't be his fault, he's not that evil.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 3

27 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Also in Unleashed it was one of the main foods you could buy for him in nearly every hub world.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ok, just tried out the PS4 demo for a bit and one of my biggest concern for Forces was the handling for Modern Sonic..... The one positive I will say is that Sonic at his lowest speeds are an improvement. It aint perfect, as It's more on the stiff side when trying to run in a full circle, but it's at least way more responsive unlike say in Generations, where he's all slip slidey and bouncy when non boosting or when hitting walls.

What enrages me, though, is that you don't even get to cherish this type of handling because the game fucking plays itself regardless. I'm not even talking about the multitude of scripted events that plague this level, either. When Sonic is in full speed non boosting in "3D" space, he just immediately locks himself going forward with virtually 0 horizontal movement. You can literally hold left/ right, yet he can't swerve at all and the only way is up. Not to mention, the switch from low speed to full speed has never been so binary in a Sonic game until now.  

The double jump is pretty ugh as well as you don't really have much air mobility, especially at low speeds. It's only real practical use is to just "go marginally higher and prolong your air time somewhat". Then there's the fact you just lose all momentum if you simply land after jumping when non boosting no matter where you land...

WHY? Why does it need to be this way? The one thing that I had hoped they improved on since Generations was the handling. That's literally all I've asked for after knowing they weren't going to push 3D Sonic in any other way, yet I get this.... It's just so overly basic. So stripped away. So unrealized. On top of this, with all the moments where the game literally plays itself, with these enemies just sitting there... it just gets worse. There's no sense of player expression and creativity whatsoever. I can't believe this is what I've waited for 4 years for. I just can't. There's just no game here.

• Thumbs Up 9

52 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

Exactly. I didn't close the demo.

Oh well, PS4 master race for the win.

14 minutes ago, StriCNYN3 said:

Ok, just tried out the PS4 demo for a bit and one of my biggest concern for Forces was the handling for Modern Sonic..... The one positive I will say is that Sonic at his lowest speeds are an improvement. It aint perfect, as It's more on the stiff side when trying to run in a full circle, but it's at least way more responsive unlike say in Generations, where he's all slip slidey and bouncy when non boosting or when hitting walls.

What enrages me, though, is that you don't even get to cherish this type of handling because the game fucking plays itself regardless. I'm not even talking about the multitude of scripted events that plague this level, either. When Sonic is in full speed non boosting in "3D" space, he just immediately locks himself going forward with virtually 0 horizontal movement. You can literally hold left/ right, yet he can't swerve at all and the only way is up. Not to mention, the switch from low speed to full speed has never been so binary in a Sonic game until now.  

The double jump is pretty ugh as well as you don't really have much air mobility, especially at low speeds. It's only real practical use is to just "go marginally higher and prolong your air time somewhat". Then there's the fact you just lose all momentum if you simply land after jumping when non boosting no matter where you land...

WHY? Why does it need to be this way? The one thing that I had hoped they improved on since Generations was the handling. That's literally all I've asked for after knowing they weren't going to push 3D Sonic in any other way, yet I get this.... It's just so overly basic. So stripped away. So unrealized. On top of this, with all the moments where the game literally plays itself, with these enemies just sitting there... it just gets worse. There's no sense of player expression and creativity whatsoever. I can't believe this is what I've waited for 4 years for. I just can't. There's just no game here.

Physics at par with Heroes. It´s mainly visible in Tag Team and Modern Sonic. All the problems you stated are correct.

Wow. Just seeing some of this footage now. Modern Green Hill looks visually nice (Although I'd much rather have preferred the S3&K Sandworm to that Lost World monstrosity), but man.. the level of automation in this game. It may as well be Sonic Dash HD at this point. I see a couple of people mentioning Sonic 06 and I'll gladly say I'd much rather have 06 over this - At least they were trying with that game. At least it required player input and the use of more than one button.

To be in development for ~4 years and to make so little progression is worrying. To think that until 6 months ago I was saying "It's been in development for AAAAAGES, so they must have something amazing up their sleeve!" is just depressing. Sonic Team really needs a shakeup - not in the Lost World sense but a real throw everything away and really evaluate what 3D Sonic should be and (more importantly IMO) who should be leading the team.

3 hours ago, DawningWolf said:

Also, I think there is much more to this game than just "OMG only one minute to beat it!" There are red rings and other collectibles in these levels to find. So there is much more replay here than people think.

EDIT: Unrelated

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

The dialogue is...pretty good! I liked Sonic’s comments about cleaning up the desert and calling it Sand Hill rather than Green Hill. It’s cute! Seems like the script won’t disappoint me at least. Not sure about the story yet but I’m interested!

Also is that Matthew Mercer as Espio? Sure sounds like him. And I wouldn’t be surprised since he’s always Troy Baker’s substitute. 

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Stephenb19 said:

(Although I'd much rather have preferred the S3&K Sandworm to that Lost World monstrosity)

But there's like no actual difference between the 2 things...no more giant caterkillers with a different color.

28 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

And there is another proof that nothing changed since Generations. This glitch was in it as well, right ?

1 hour ago, superman43 said:

Physics at par with Heroes.

Really? Oh, that’s relief. I’m really glad to hear that. Hopefully I’ll be able to play the demo for myself soon.

Just now, Kellan said:

Really? Oh, that’s relief. I’m really glad to hear that. Hopefully I’ll be able to play the demo for myself soon.

It seems to me though. Not necessarily true.

Just now, superman43 said:

It seems to me though. Not necessarily true.

Fair enough. I guess I’ll have to wait and see.

Eh. The demo should have been better. If I had to take a guess on why the levels are as linear as a ruler, its because the game has a greater focus on story and Sega made the mistake of treating the levels as if they were story parts. Basically, the game is one long movie with the occasional user input in the form of levels. Its definitely sad (and seriously, just ctrl C and ctrl V sonic and classic's gameplay from gens. Dont try and screw with it. ) but I'm really hoping the story makes up for it. Thats my take on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Terriful said:

Its definitely sad (and seriously, just ctrl C and ctrl V sonic and classic's gameplay from gens. Dont try and screw with it. )

Are you suggesting this is what they should've done?  Because that's exactly what they did as far as we're aware.  They added the Drop Dash but that's it.

Most people of course, hate this because even without Mania's influence they could've improved the gameplay to make it more physics based and not just a regular speedy platformer that uses scripting to resemble the old games visually.