Awoo.

Sonic Forces demo- Green Hill (Modern Sonic gameplay)

HedgehogBR

11 minutes ago, Yeow said:

Some footage of a player's speedrun of an Avatar Stage, think this is the furthest anyone's been able to get. It (doesn't) help that the cutscene / QTE sequences and scripted pole-swinging sequences takes up a large chunk of the actual gameplay (the cutscene/QTE sequance itself at the end of the playthrough is literally 15 seconds). 

It's a bit hard to spot due to the fadeout, but this does confirm that failing that QTE puts you on a different path. I can't imagine anyone ending up there by accident, though, considering how trivial the QTE is...

2 minutes ago, FriesWithoutKetchup said:

I don't mind if it's straight and narrow, so long as the *entire* game isn't like that.

It's going to be.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 minute ago, Speedi said:

The problem is that the entire game we've seen so far has been exactly what you just described. Straight and narrow with hardly any complexity in its structure. And just an FYI, level design philosophy doesn't change after 6 levels of doing the same thing on a whim, I would be pretty confident in saying the level design we've seen so far is representative of Forces' levels as a whole.

And hey, you could very well be right. I don't know. Either way, it just doesn't bother me that much.

Okay does anyone feel like the game have the tendency to railroad sonic to the center? I keep noticing every time I would boost, the game would suddenly put him in the middle of a pathway and seem to fight against me trying to aim toward the left or right. It made it really awkward to playthrough the level.

3 minutes ago, DanisWhite said:

Okay does anyone feel like the game have the tendency to railroad sonic to the center? I keep noticing every time I would boost, the game would suddenly put him in the middle of a pathway and seem to fight against me trying to aim toward the left or right. It made it really awkward to playthrough the level.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Yeow said:

This demo has transformed into the gift that keeps on giving. DarkSpineSonic managed to beat the classic Sonic Green Hill boss fight level before the game ended.

Check this shit out at 0:25. Apparently you can only get hit by the Egg Dragoon machine gun if you've moving, because DSS/Classic Sonic stood in the same spot and took no damage from the Egg Dragoon's bullets.

You cannot make this up if you tried!

Wow... 

This game was just meant to be one big cutscene that's it.

Can you customize your avatar in the demo?

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah I was about to post that. Really, really weird. I can almost understand how you'd miss something like that in playtesting since common sense would have you move to avoid the attacks, but still...why?

Side note: tbf avoiding unnecessary springs and dash pads being the faster option isn't exactly anything new. Lotta speedruns (even pre-boost, albeit to a lesser degree) have examples of it.

• Thumbs Up 6

6 minutes ago, Yeow said:

This demo has transformed into the gift that keeps on giving. DarkSpineSonic managed to beat the classic Sonic Green Hill boss fight level before the game ended.

Check this shit out at 0:25. Apparently you can only get hit by the Egg Dragoon machine gun if you've moving, because DSS/Classic Sonic stood in the same spot and took no damage from the Egg Dragoon's bullets.

The lack of polish is astounding.

• Thumbs Up 3

11 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

This is what happened to me at EGX only I noticed it occurred in other stages too. If you check my preview, specifically the tag team section you'll see I noticed it in that stage too.

5 minutes ago, Yeow said:

Check this shit out at 0:25. 

This happened to me at EGX too. Only I found if you stand at the far right of the screen and just jump you get a similar effect.

It's Sonic 06 levels of sloppy.

• Thumbs Up 7

2 hours ago, Sonikko said:

Idk wanna buy me a copy on Steam? I'm not supporting the game but if someone buys it for me I'll play it

/jk

I'll probably do a giveaway on my yt honest truth

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Yeow said:

"Sometimes you gotta ask yourself... 'What am I willing to put up with today...' "

• Chuckle 1

8 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Literally amazing.

That's two levels beaten despite this the time limit that's supposed to  disguise how inadequate this game. I don't have anything good to say about the gameplay. There's nothign I cn praise. Visually its great, and the soundtrack isn't bad. But gameplay gets a big, fat F.

A game can look pretty and sound good, but if the gameplay is shit, it can literally break a game. Gameplay will always be the most important aspect of a game.

• Thumbs Up 7

2 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

In my preview I commented on how the weapons were stupidly over powered, the flame gun in particular.

See here, perfect example it's effectively an unlimited boost function. No enemies are a threat, just hold fire and blast through a stage.

Utterly mindless and requires no thought process at all.

That said though, an update to your report regarding the looks, fidelity, and handling of the Switch port are in order.

The loop in Green Hill is 100%.scripted and automatic, even though it has boosters in front of it.

You also cannot backtrack through it. An invisible wall stops you.

• Thumbs Up 4

7 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Cala Maria said:

That said though, an update to your report regarding the looks, fidelity, and handling of the Switch port are in order.

Sure.

Send me your Switch and the game I'll be happy to do just that.

PM me and I'll provide you with an address to either a P.O. Box or another address.

Include a pre-paid shipping label if you'd like it back.

Otherwise bank transfer me the funds to buy one and I'll play the game that way. Paypal can also be provided and a cheque will also be acceptable provided it clears in 30 days.

• Chuckle 5

2 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Cala Maria said:

No, it absolutely is not in order.

He reported on the game he played. It performed poorly, so he reported that. If he reviews this demo or the full game and finds the performance is better (as we know that it now is) he can comment on the improvement there. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

You also cannot backtrack through it. An invisible wall stops you.

I knew it. Called this way back during E3. When do I get my forum prophet badge?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

8 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Sure.

Send me your Switch and the game I'll be happy to do just that.

Don't think you'd need to be able to tell that the game's running better and looking better than your last impressions of the Switch port. But I suppose in hindsight, there are plenty of other impressions that would update on the circumstances of the Switch port being more up to snuff, keeping the public properly informed, than it was before in the older impressions, so that was a bit silly of me to request. My apologies.

5 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

forum prophet badge?

For once there's something we can agree on. There doesn't seem to be much opportunity for badges these days.