Awoo.

Sonic Forces demo- Green Hill (Modern Sonic gameplay)

HedgehogBR

12 minutes ago, Captain Metallix said:

Considering the level's music (being a rendition of the main theme) and its ridiculously simple design compared to Sunset Heights... I'm pretty certain that this is, at the very least, the first Modern level in the game, if not the first level entirely. Frankly, I'd be surprised (and even more disappointed) if it wasn't.

Well it's Modern Sonic's first level, for sure. They wouldn't have a bunch of tutorial bubbles for basic jumping, double jumping, homing attack, and boost if it wasn't.

What's making it seem more likely that the leak's story was out of order, though, is that Nakamura said that the Avatar isn't the first character you play as. I can't see Classic Sonic being the first level you play for this game, despite no characters seemingly being in contact with him, and if this isn't the first level... doesn't that just leave the Avatar to be the first playable character by default?

So it'll probably be the Infinite fight when Sonic disappears, yeah. Which is really odd, honestly. If Eggman has already used the Ruby to take over the world, why does Sonic disappearing matter that much?

4 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Does anyone know how to find the Sonic Forces demo on the JP PSN?

On the first screen, scroll down to the first category below PlayStation Plus, confirm to bring up a submenu, and then enter the last category before the dividing line; that's where the demos are. Sonic Forces is the first one.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, A_W said:

On the first screen, scroll down to the first category below PlayStation Plus, confirm to bring up a submenu, and then enter the last category before the dividing line; that's where the demos are. Sonic Forces is the first one.

Got it, thanks man!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, The Deleter said:

So it'll probably be the Infinite fight when Sonic disappears, yeah. Which is really odd, honestly. If Eggman has already used the Ruby to take over the world, why does Sonic disappearing matter that much?

Eh, it's Eggman. Guy's got, like, three things on his to-do list at all times:

1) Take over the world

2) Defeat Sonic for good

3) Remember to buy more eggs for breakfast

• Chuckle 1

In a couple years, SA1 is going to be twenty years old and even that has more idle animation than it does here. Heck, you can obviously say the same for the Genesis games too.

• Thumbs Up 4

Right gameplay impressions:

Sonic controls just as stiffly as he looks. 

No HDR or 4K. At least in the demo. 

The ice in Chemical Plant actually looks way better on a big screen. 

Overall, meh. 

5 minutes ago, AdventChild said:

In a couple years, SA1 is going to be twenty years old and even that has more idle animation than it does here. Heck, you can obviously say the same for the Genesis games too.

I mean, that's a conscious effort though...plenty games don't have idle animations. That's not a real strike against the game, it just tells how much effort is really going towards it.

Advice for anyone who downloaded the Switch Demo, DON'T GO TO SLEEP MODE FOR TOO LONG WHILE THE GAME IS ACTIVE. IT WILL BRINK YOUR SWITCH LIKE IT NEARLY DID MINE.

If yours got bricked, my advice is to hold the power button for about 20 seconds and hope it doesn't black screen once it reloads and then delete the corrupted demo. Don't risk your Switch for this demo since it has the power to brink your switch. I got extremely lucky and i feel like others aren't so lucky right now.

I'M SERIOUS.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

8 minutes ago, AdventChild said:

In a couple years, SA1 is going to be twenty years old and even that has more idle animation than it does here. Heck, you can obviously say the same for the Genesis games too. No excuse for this kind of laziness at all.

Just now, StaticMania said:

I mean, that's a conscious effort though...plenty games don't have idle animations. That's not a real strike against the game, it just tells how much effort is really going in the game.

Don't worry so much about that guys. Both the Avatar and Classic Sonic have idle animations, so this is clearly just a case of the demo being unfinished.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

English versions incoming:

Random tidbits:

-Green Hill's confirmed to be the first level. Tails does mention the city being under attack and Modern Sonic/Tails are in communication, when it's established the two get split up, forcing Tails to team up with Classic.

-Espio and the Chaotix are involved with the Avatar mission.

-Space Port seems to be the third zone, Espio mentions Infinite taking down Sonic.

Nooooice. Now I can play this terrible game, but this time with meh voice acting.

So, uh, I tried that "stand in one spot during the boss to not get hit by the machine gun" thing in the PS4 demo and I still got hit. Does that mean it's a Switch only glitch?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

So, uh, I tried that "stand in one spot during the boss to not get hit by the machine gun" thing in the PS4 demo and I still got hit. Does that mean it's a Switch only glitch?

Its not so much a glitch as an exploit of the strafe mechanic.

I imagine its just a manner of timing it and standing in juuuuust the right spot. You could probably replicate it if you gave it a few tries.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

I'm pretty sure that only works in the corners. Once you go to the corners and stand still, he shouldn't be able to hit you. For reference, I was right under the three rings when I did it, but I'm not sure if that is a requirement or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

... Yeah, this game isn't looking very good. I wish I hadn't stuck up for it, but the writing's on the wall here.

Maybe people were right. Reserving judgement or trying to find silver linings isn't always warranted.

• Thumbs Up 5

31 minutes ago, Tyranno said:

... Yeah, this game isn't looking very good. I wish I hadn't stuck up for it, but the writing's on the wall here.

Maybe people were right. Reserving judgement or trying to find silver linings isn't always warranted.

Reserving judgement IS warranted....before you've been previewed the game. That however was several months ago. 

58 minutes ago, Rummy said:

Advice for anyone who downloaded the Switch Demo, DON'T GO TO SLEEP MODE FOR TOO LONG WHILE THE GAME IS ACTIVE. IT WILL BRINK YOUR SWITCH LIKE IT NEARLY DID MINE.

If yours got bricked, my advice is to hold the power button for about 20 seconds and hope it doesn't black screen once it reloads and then delete the corrupted demo. Don't risk your Switch for this demo since it has the power to brink your switch. I got extremely lucky and i feel like others aren't so lucky right now.

I'M SERIOUS.

What does brink mean? You mean my Switch will not be usable?

Also, I had it on Sleep Mode for at least like 10 hours. Oh no.

You know the one thing I can positively say about Forces is Modern Sonic feels so good to control without the boost. In Unleashed through Generations with normal controls felt so stiff but here they feel as good as they were in something like SA2

14 minutes ago, Limit Breaker Diamond said:

What does brink mean? You mean my Switch will not be usable?

Also, I had it on Sleep Mode for at least like 10 hours. Oh no.

He meant brick. As in it makes your Switch utterly unuseable due to the system being bricked.

My only defenses for Forces are these:

- It's at least playable, gameplay-wise, and not an absolutely embarrassing mess, like Shadow, 06, and the Storybook games. Like, the level design is for babies, but at least I'm not slamming my head into a wall out of frustration, because Sonic homing attacked off of a cliff for no reason.
- Visually, it's stunning.
- It sounds like it may end up having one of the best video game soundtracks in a long time.
- The story looks very promising. May shape up to be one of the best in any Sonic game.

Will I enjoy myself? Probably. Can SEGA do better, and is this a considerable step down from Generations, gameplay-wise? Yeah, definitely.

• Thumbs Up 3

41 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

He meant brick. As in it makes your Switch utterly unuseable due to the system being bricked.

So I guess my Switch will be unusable once I get home?

So some of the Pawns have dead AI as shown in previous videos yet some still have it, including the buzzbombers.

I think the reason the 2 Sonic levels, (so far), can be completed in less than a minute is due to the air boost being really broken. The previous boost games didn't have that big of an air curve like this one, so you can't just spam it to skip most parts of the level. 

Is the demo for Switch and PS4 only?

29 minutes ago, Limit Breaker Diamond said:

So I guess my Switch will be unusable once I get home?

It's if you left it on sleep mode while the demo is active I believe.

32 minutes ago, Dannymax440 said:

Is the demo for Switch and PS4 only?

As far as we know, yeah.

Anyways, impressions on the Modern Sonic side of things from the PS4 demo:

- Sonic's new tiers of acceleration are very odd. You hold forward, go a little bit...then you burst off with full running speed.  No in-between...kinda clunky.
- Sonic tends to "clip" the ground when he lands, so to speak. As in, when he lands, it feels like he doesn't retain his in-air speed and just slows drastically upon hitting the ground sometimes.
- Air boost is very satisfying. If you use it quickly, Sonic bursts upwards a bit into the air. If you hold the air boost, Sonic does a beautiful forward arc as he drops, maintaining the boost fully as long as you hold the button. This is for one thing I can say is definitely an improvement to the Unleashed/Colors/Generations formula.
- Sonic doesn't lose momentum anymore when he's midair, at all. Woo! Jump forward and maintain your speed!
- ...unfortunately, he also doesn't pick up any momentum from standstills, ala Lost World, making it very clunky at low speeds. Hoping that it's just the "Dash" section activators that are making it like this (Generations modders, you prob know that I'm talking about).
- As many have said, the level design philosophy and complexity is a step down from Generations. It's still quite a blast, but it should've absolutely been Generations-tier at the very least, though.

Also, I found out if you jump right before a slope, Sonic gains a nice angle boost:

PointedRingedAmericanlobster-size_restri

So all in all, yes a step down from Generations, it should absolutely be improved, but also not the..."End of the World", so to speak.

• Thumbs Up 6

I do like how they're intertwining story here. Sonic says things like, "this was one of my favorite hangout spots," and then you have the implication that the sand worm hopped down from the lost hex. Good stuff. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 2