Awoo.

Sonic Forces demo- Green Hill (Modern Sonic gameplay)

HedgehogBR

Good news, my Switch is fine, but just to be safe I purged this devil software. If I wound up feeling compelled to play the full game it'd be as a redbox PS4 rental anyway, so whaaaatever.

Although it may be only a small snippet, the various videos of this new demo are somewhat relieving. It doesn't seem to be quite as bad as the train wreck Hogfather painted in his review of previous demos. 

And yet, I am incredibly disappointed. I'm at a loss to understand how six years have passed since the release of Generations, and this is where we are at. As has been said, whilst from the looks of this demo, Forces is not going to be an overtly bad game, it is disheartening to realise that this is likely to be an almighty step back, or at least a weird flop to the side.

It is as if they have taken the core concept of what made Modern's gameplay in Generations good and failed to see how they could improve on it. What we have here instead appears to be a diluted version, with new, unnecessary and even previously panned elements, which we all thought had long since been abandoned, reintroduced, as if the team have learnt nothing. 

The confusing double-jump/homing attack input has returned; once again we are bombarded with incessant, repetitive and needless quips from characters that belong instead during fleshed out cutscenes and not the gameplay itself; (how many playthroughs before that charming Sand-Hill comment makes you feel like eating real sand?) and above all, the stages we have seen here are objectively much shorter, more linear, offer less scope for exploration and replay, and on the whole appear to be less invigorating, less whimsical and paltry concepts compared with Generations' delightful reimaginings. The worst part of this is that many ideas and themes have been recycled, eschewing not only a lack of originality from the project, but also further leading us to compare the two titles and it seems obstinately clear to me which one wins on both gameplay and graphical (re)interpretation of zones - the one that came out six years ago. 

And I didn't think it would bother me, but there's something really unnatural about how Classic can't recollect any fallen rings after taking damage. It's such a token benchmark of how Classic Sonic works, why change it? 

• Thumbs Up 9

MODERN

Green Hill looks amazing, despite seeing it for the umpteenth time. I feel Sonic controls fine both when being controlled slow/fast, but does stick to the middle of the path when boosting. The stage itself is very linear with the majority of it being a boost fest, but actually taking the lower path for the red ring, even though not necessary, made the stage feel, well, more playable. It feels like a tutorial level akin to that of Unleashed. The enemies suck balls. Don't just stand there! MOVE! DO SOMETHING! They react (barely) later on in the level so why not earlier on? Music fits the stage and makes it feel very Runners-esque.

CLASSIC

Great but not perfect. Same as above, the boss stage looks beautiful. Classic feels a bit more fluid and less stiff compared to Generations and the spin dash also seems improved but not much. The Drop dash seems easier to execute here than in Mania, but that might just be me. Can't really test it properly as there's not much room to use it. I've tried to replicate the video of standing still but not getting shot by the Egg Dragoon and have had no luck, but got the glitch where you do a continuous spin despite the fact I wasn't trying to replicate it. I think it has something to do with with the analogue stick as I can't get it to work with the D-Pad. Music is ok.

...is shit.The outside parts of the stage look flat/dull, pausing after hitting an enemy and every time you use the grappling hook really breaks the flow of the game. The enemies don't react... again. Don't use any other Wispon than the flamethrower as there's no point. Controls feel sloppy. Music is great and I like the character interaction, but other than that I'm disappointed.

Based on what I've played, this feels better than expected despite 1/3 of the play styles not being up to scratch. It's not what I was hoping for on a next gen system and this needs to be the last we see of this kind of game. Next time is make or break and even I don't think I could be quite as forgiving. 

• Thumbs Up 3

In my opinion the levels that are on the demo appear to be tutorial based , which would explain why they seem to be very straight forward.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Wordy Argh, you just brought up a good point about the in game dialogue.

I got nothing against the dialogue, in fact so far I think it sounds fine, but if there isn’t an option available to switch it off when replaying these stages for speed runs or whatever it’s going to sound very annoying and repetitive. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I just want to add I enjoyed the demo for what it was and all 3 characters felt great and graphics look great. I played it a bunch of times to get use to the controls yeah the 1 min time limit sucks but I feel this is getting out of hand announcing doom and gloom because of this demo with a locked restriction (which I agree wasn't a good idea) especially on a few videos (again that's my personal opinion don't attack me please ssmb just giving my reasonable thoughts) I'm still hype for this game but if some here aren't even now oh well that's unfortunate for you I'm hoping for the best.

@EuriskoThat better not be a tutorial stage, because if so, it failed in mentioning how to double jump, sliding, stomping, rail grinding and quick stepping, not to mention putting any real application for you to practice those mechanics within the level. I think it's just what it is, a bare bones first level.

Edit: Actually misread and thought you were only talking about just Green Hill Zone. Either way though, I doubt all these different zones is part of one tutorial.

• Thumbs Up 4

47 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

People have been saying this now for EVERY level in the game!

Can't wait to play the Death Egg Zone tutorial stage!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 7

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

People have been saying this now for EVERY level in the game!

Not to mention it's not a convincing defense anyway. No stage should be that basic, not even the first. Look at Mania's Green Hill...

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

I do like how they're intertwining story here. Sonic says things like, "this was one of my favorite hangout spots," and then you have the implication that the sand worm hopped down from the lost hex. Good stuff. 

From what Sonic says I assumed that giant worms are just a thing that occurs in deserts in Sonic's world.

36 minutes ago, Razule said:

From what Sonic says I assumed that giant worms are just a thing that occurs in deserts in Sonic's world.

The dialogue isn't that great lol.

its the same boring execution from Generations.

"Hey! I remember X place. Remember that place gamer?"

I think its the same writers too...

5 minutes ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

The dialogue isn't that great lol.

its the same boring execution from Generations.

"Hey! I remember X place. Remember that place gamer?"

I think its the same writers too...

Graff is localizing, but Shun Nakamura wrote it.

Hahah!

I guess Forces really did seem to have run out of ideas. You know who had those grappling/Hook-like mechanics?

image.jpeg

The Werehog! And he had levels filled with stuff he could interact with. Even when he grabbed a pole, your trajectory will translate to your momentum depending on when you let go. In the Avatar state?(no pun intended) it completely stops that from what I see.

Just noticed, Sonic can't stop just before the first ramp. If you walk up to it, Sonic automatically starts running towards it. 

Why? It's common sense to go up to it.. game literally plays itself for no reason

It's right after a dash thing, what's even the point, it's just a freakin' trick..

• Thumbs Up 6

44 minutes ago, Razule said:

Just noticed, Sonic can't stop just before the first ramp. If you walk up to it, Sonic automatically starts running towards it. 

Why? It's common sense to go up to it.. game literally plays itself for not reason

How dare you try to play their movie?

• Chuckle 4

On 10/25/2017 at 5:43 PM, Nuggets said:

I don't get it

the budget is higher, they had 4 years to design these levels 

I just don't understand how 4 years worth of money, time and effort went into a game consisting of 2 minute levels that are nothing but straight lines and 2D sections 

I just really can't comprehend how the level design took such a hit 

it's so...bad

Apparantly most of the time was spent on the engine. Yeah, the engine. And what did we get: Graphics that can only barely match the level of Sonic Unleashed, a game from 9 years ago? So much time spent on making the game look "better" that they had to recycle level design from Sonic Colors, characters from Sonic Generations and assets from Sonic Lost World like the sandworms.

On 10/25/2017 at 7:06 PM, Sonikko said:

The... The robots don't even have an AI...  They... Just stand there... Literally.

Oh my God, this game is the gift that keeps on giving.

Watch this literally be the new 06 on release

Hey at least the 06 enemies actually attacked you, firing projectiles and such at you. This? These "world conquering" robots are even less advanced than GOOMBAS. Sonic Team should be ashamed of themselves.

• Thumbs Up 3

Played the demo a few hours ago, I've got a few things to say.

I have to say that @Mayor D's hands-on impressions article was pretty spot on for the most part. The way that Modern and Avatar gain speed is so fucking weird with sudden speed jumps, and I don't know if it's a bad thing or something that I just need to get used to, cause it seems like they put it there as way for the Avatar to go faster cause he has no Boost or Spindash to help him gain speed. But I will say that the air boost is fun to abuse.

As for the Wispons, I actually found the Burst and Lightning Wispons fun to use, the Lightning Wispon especially, since it gives you some speed before you land if you use it in midair.

As for Classic Sonic, he's horrible. Of course, he only has a boss battle in this demo, but damn he controls like shit. This is coming off of a person that played through Sonic Mania like 10 times already, so the differences really show. There's a weird delay between pressing the jump button and Sonic actually jumping. His Drop Dash doesn't feel satisfying to use like in Mania. Dunno what else to say about it, Classic Sonic is a waste in Forces.

As the for the demo itself...meh. I wish it didn't have this 60-second time limit, feels useless and very frustrating if you're to see more of a level, cause this game has long automated sections, like Space Port has an automated section at the beginning that takes 10 seconds to actually give you control of the Avatar, total waste of time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Echoing those thoughts on Modern and Avatar's controls. Their speeds are almost binary with a hard to control jog suddenly becoming a totally uncontrollable sprint.

I hope critics pitch up on all of this games flaws.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Echoing those thoughts on Modern and Avatar's controls. Their speeds are almost binary with a hard to control jog suddenly becoming a totally uncontrollable sprint.

I hope critics pitch up on all of this games flaws.

It's almost like Shadow the Hedgehog's acceleration. It's ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok folks, not very happy about the state of this game. A demo with a time limit sucks. Even more sucks how plain and oversimplistic the gameplay is. Can we expect a PC demo soon? Why? Well, I really would like to try how this poop plays before, or if ever, I'm gonna buy it. Really, Forces once was a dream 3D Sonic game in my eyes, right when it was announced, but slowly my interest has been fading off. At times I get a spark to actually play this, I really want to believe there're better and more interesting levels than these narrow corridors we've seen, but eventually, I always get upset a lot when I look at Forces. It's a CGI show more than what I think a 3D Sonic should be.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/25/2017 at 7:43 PM, Yeow said:

Part of Sega's then-initiative of delisting Sonic games with poor reviews: new copies of the game were recalled, it was taken off the Xbox 360's XBLA, and it was never released on the PS3's PlayStation Store.

I wonder why they stopped, when similarly bashed titles like Lost World and Rise of Lyric are still available to this day?