Awoo.

Sonic Forces demo- Green Hill (Modern Sonic gameplay)

HedgehogBR

Haven’t watched the footage yet, I’m in school right now, but I’ really glad to see the sandworms. I remember when they first revealed sandy Green Hill, and I said that if they’re trying to show the “horrible consequences of Eggman’s rule”, then just putting sand in Green Hill wasn’t doing enough. So, the addition of the sandworms really helps to sell it more, in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Limit Breaker Diamond said:

Most probably the second stage. Since Tails tells Sonic to come to the city.

This is clearly the first stage for Modern, based on both story and the "?" parts which explain every move.

Unleashed and Gens and even Colors had more interactive tutorial levels. And station heights is just as linear as this. Is that a tutorial?

44 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Oh dear God 

Literally Boost2Win. Speaking of which...

Reminder that this game, which was released nearly a decade ago, requires more player input than the one that's about to release in two weeks.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3

29 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Oh dear God 

This has to be fucking joke...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

11 minutes ago, Razule said:

Is it though? Did they?

These are the real questions

cuz one, this shit looks like it was made on all types of budgets, and two I don't think full development of this game started as long ago as they would like you to believe. Or at least as we know it now

Oh, I'm sure it can't be as linear as people are sayi--

*watches videos*

I'll give it this; at least the Switch version seems to run just fine now. That's good.

But, uh... yeah. First stage or not, that's just bad level design. And the demo levels have a time limit too?! Seriously?!

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

Colors is not much better tough. It only starts becoming better when you get the Yellow Wisp.

Sunset Heights is still an early stage in the game, maybe righr after GHZ. I agree the level design is not good, but it may become better later in the game.

I hate this.

First of all, it seems like the 3D sections are almost 90% automated. When you go at full speed (or boost) the game locks your horizontal movement so you only have to hold up or the boost button and jump occasionally. If you want to move left or right you have to slow down. The air boost feels really off too, it has this weird arc and it simply doesn't feel as good as Generations air boost. I don't like the double jump too. It also feels way too weak to be useful in 3D sections and in 2D sections it doesn't make you change directions like in Colors. Other than that the basic movement seems to be slightly worse than Generations but nothing horrible, and the way homing attack kills your momentum doesn't feel as bad as I thought. The level design isn't also very good, but that's the only part we can't judge the whole game for as it might get better later, even though Sunset Heights didn't look any better lol.

As for Classic Sonic, the boss is pretty decent, but the controls aren't very good too. The acceleration felt a bit too high to me, and drop dash is definitely a bit off. Avatar was the most boring one of the bunch, but there isn't much to say about that one as you can tell all of its flaws from the footages.

I also don't like the port itself. It runs at 30fps but it feels really choppy, probably because I got too used to Generations but still. It runs at 720p too, even when docked, and some parts of Chemical Plant look pretty bad without proper lighting.

• Thumbs Up 4

• The topic was unlocked
4 minutes ago, Captain Metallix said:

*watches videos*

I'll give it this; at least the Switch version seems to run just fine now. That's good.

But, uh... yeah. First stage or not, that's just bad level design. And the demo levels have a time limit too?! Seriously?!

A lot of demos have time limits

4 minutes ago, Captain Metallix said:

*watches videos*

• Nice Smile 1

Just now, Meta77 said:

Even so, it seems very odd for a Sonic game. Generations' demo didn't have one, and I'm pretty sure Unleashed didn't have one (if it had a demo at all).

Plus, as Diogenes noted earlier, that alternate path leads to the final Red Ring of the stage, so cutting it off so close to the end seems pointless to me.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

7 minutes ago, Limit Breaker Diamond said:

Sunset Heights is still an early stage in the game, maybe righr after GHZ. I agree the level design is not good, but it may become better later in the game.

"Wait and see" we've been doing that since reveal. And the only two modern stages they've shown have been bad since then, the avatar looks bland as hell, and classic sonic is...poor

• Thumbs Up 9

2 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

A lot of demos have time limits

Yeah, but not a minute. 60 seconds. Has there ever been a demo with a time limit that short? I can’t understand why Sega didn’t release a demo where you beat the stage like you normally do! Why change now?

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

"Wait and see" we've been doing that since reveal. And the only two modern stages they've shown have been bad since then, the avatar looks bland as hell, and classic sonic is...poor

I said "may". It's obvious these are early stages. Of course the game will start simple.

• Promotion 1

1 minute ago, Limit Breaker Diamond said:

I said "may". It's obvious these are early stages. Of course the game will start simple.

Doesn't mean they have to not market good levels. They can show off a level or two with potential substance. If the best they can cobble up since initial reveal for modern to advertise is two straight line zones, yeah people are fair to judge 

Just now, Captain Metallix said:

Yeah, not impressed with the corridors. I mean, I sorta already knew that would be a problem in Forces and its not enough to make me hate Forces or think its bad (I still like Colors and Lost World despite both games having similar issues with automation and linearity, and it should be noted that I am absolute crap at playing video games), but yeah, definitely something to improve on. Its such a shame because boost does not have to be this way. Sky Sanctuary was pretty good with all the paths, so was the Gens. remake of Seaside Hill. I know Lost World tends to be be forgotten, but look at this video of the Zelda-themed level DLC:

I mean, look at it! Open spaces! Varied environments! 100% 3D gameplay! Custom models and enemies to match the level theme! Encouraging exploration for benefits like rings (erm, rupees) and rescued flickies! And yet you can still figure out where to go, even with the boost-y spindash and parkour in place that let you go incredibly fast. If anybody was wondering why I think a Boost/Parkour fusion would be awesome, this is the level that made me realize that.

Time limits are common. I actually remember Generations's demo limiting how long it could remain on a console before deleting itself to prevent datamining, but that clearly did not work as stuff still got leaked. They might be trying some different strategies this time around. However, I also remember that Sonic 4 had a similar time limit, with the demo jarringly cutting off even if you got to certain points before your time was up. They might be trying to hide something too.

• Thumbs Up 7

Time Limits have never been fun in anything ever. I'm pretty sure most will agree with that. Not sure what the point in implementing it here is since all it does is put a further damper on the already short experience. It just seems like a real knuckleheaded decision. Hope this isn't gonna become the standard for their games from now on.

I don't have anything to say on the gameplay that hasn't been said already aside from the visual appearance looking cool and kind of liking Sonic's "Green Hill? More like Sand Hill!" comment.

I don't find it awful, but I sure don't find it good or amazing. lol

Having played Sunset Heights, I feel like that one was a bit more open or varied than GHZ here. Been a while though. I don't remember everything about it.

Just now, KHCast said:

Shallow 2D sections, open spaces of nothing, and straight lines. Our bad

Is this what your eyes see? It's objective then, I could make a similar argument to Odyssey, that everything looks so big and empty, and you are doing a whole lot of nothing in the stages, besides using the hat gimmicks.

• Promotion 2

2 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

Yeah, but not a minute. 60 seconds. Has there ever been a demo with a time limit that short? I can’t understand why Sega didn’t release a demo where you beat the stage like you normally do! Why change now?

Not that short no. But I still enjoyed what I played. Granted it was short.

• Thumbs Up 1