Awoo.

Sonic Forces demo- Green Hill (Modern Sonic gameplay)

HedgehogBR

8 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

If you want story, you're looking at the wrong franchise. It's like saying I buy mainline Mario games for the story.

Sonic is about gameplay, it's not a 40+ hours JRPG with an engaging story.

And it should never have priority over gameplay in this franchise. Nothing should.

You seem to confuse Mario with Sonic. Mario never bothered with anything other than save the princess from the fire breathing turtle for the 1000th time. 

5 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Uh... Okay. But, I've been playing the series for 17 years and just recently started caring more about story in games in general. And like I said, I don't not care about gameplay.

Sonic stories entertain me enough anyways, this just looks like it'll have my favorite story thus far.

26 years and i agree i prefer story now over gameplay. I still want gameplay to.be decent.but story is what drives me to go back and replay a game

Just now, Meta77 said:

Of course i do. But facr is it stilk sells. Sonic is popular and the doomsayers are always funny cause sonic persist. He lives and fans still love him. Forces at worst will caise them to try another gameplay gimmick next time. At worse

I don't know what fantasy world you live in but Sonic has been declining in sales for years now, to the point where the latest mainline Sonic game sold less than 1million copies, and the big, spin off reboot sold less than 300k copies.

The franchise's a laughing stock. Literally.

It's a joke. Nobody cares for it anymore outside of the fanbase. Not seriously anyway.

And more than half of it is pissed about Forces.

• Thumbs Up 3

9 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

If you want story, you're looking at the wrong franchise. It's like saying I buy mainline Mario games for the story.

And it should never have priority over gameplay in this franchise. Nothing should.

Are you seriously telling this guy what he’s allowed to like about this franchise? What he’s allowed to want from this franchise? Why?

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Kellan said:

Are you seriously telling this guy what he’s allowed to like about this franchise? What he’s allowed to want from this franchise? Why?

Don't twist my words.

I said that if you're someone who's interested in good plots, then the Sonic franchise isn't the place to look into.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Sonikko said:

I don't know what fantasy world you live in but Sonic has been declining in sales for years now, to the point where the latest mainline Sonic game sold less than 1million copies, and the big, spin off reboot sold less than 300k copies.

The franchise's a laughing stock. Literally.

It's a joke. Nobody cares for it anymore outside of the fanbase. Not seriously anyway.

And more than half of it is pissed about Forces.

You say half.  can you actually back such a big claim. And if it's a laughingstock I'm looking hard to find a crowd laughing besides some ign users

5 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

You can't fault him for thinking that though, or tell him not to want a large heap of story dumped in his Sonic game soup. Because Sonic Team set the precedent for many years in the 2000s with games that catered far more to the "story" than polishing/exectuing the gameplay. So while many fans in the 2000s were wondering why Sonic games were feeling less and less like momentum based platforming games, there were others playing maybe their first videogame who had never met Sonic and thought "hey this is a whole lot edgier than spongebob. Its serious. Hey look he's got a gun!"

Its why this game is even getting made, instead of a common sense one like a Generations 2 that improves on its predecessor, or a true to form Classic Sonic-inspired 3D game. Because that would be just a bit too much work at this point, it seems.

• Thumbs Up 8

I don't think it's fair to say nobody cares about Sonic outside the fanbase. I often see kids out and about with Sonic shirts/plushies etc. He's a cultural icon.

• Thumbs Up 5

4 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

Don't twist my words.

I said that if you're someone who's interested in good plots, then the Sonic franchise isn't the place to look into.

I’m not trying to twist your words here, I genuinely don’t see how that’s any different. What am I missing here?

I'm just laughing at this point

1 minute ago, Kellan said:

I’m not trying to twist your words here, I genuinely don’t see how that’s any different. What am I missing here?

Well the difference is that I didn't say he must not do it, I'm suggesting that maybe, just maybe, there are other things that do what he's looking for a lot better.

Things that are supposed to be what he's looking for in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Kellan said:

Welcome to the Sonic fandom. Where caring about anything other than Classic era games, wanting better plots, or wanting other characters in the spotlight is a punishable offense.

Yeah I'm with you it's a load of crap.

• Nice Smile 1

25 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

Believe it or not, But that is actually the reason why this franchise is so beloved in the first place. If really only the gameplay matters this franchise would have died out years ago. Sonic is actually the only game series I know that is popular because of its presentation.

Let's be honest guys. Sonic is beloved for many things: characters, character designs, storytelling, music, graphics, marketing etc. But gameplay? That is probably one of the least important things for most fans.   

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1

12 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

You can't fault him for thinking that though, or tell him not to want a large heap of story dumped in his Sonic game soup. Because Sonic Team set the precedent for many years in the 2000s with games that catered far more to the "story" than polishing/exectuing the gameplay. So while many fans in the 2000s were wondering why Sonic games were feeling less and less like momentum based platforming games, there were others playing maybe their first videogame who had never met Sonic and thought "hey this is a whole lot edgier than spongebob. Its serious. Hey look he's got a gun!"

Its why this game is even getting made, instead of a common sense one like a Generations 2 that improves on its predecessor, or a true to form Classic Sonic-inspired 3D game. Because that would be just a bit too much work at this point, it seems.

Actually for SEGA, too much work would be having the game be actual 3D and not fall back on the not so subtle Classic pandering. Also the fans who want more story out of the games are no lesser Sonic fans than those who only care about the gameplay.

4 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

Well the difference is that I didn't say he must not do it, I'm suggesting that maybe, just maybe, there are other things that do what he's looking for a lot better.

Things that are supposed to be what he's looking for in the first place.

What do you mean by “supposed to be”? All he said was that he like Forces’s story and wanted more like it.

Just now, Mayor D said:

This is embarrassing.

Huge awkward chunks missing from the level geometry.

Braindead red ring placement.

Inability to venture off a scripted path that Sonic snaps onto during 'speed sections'.

Total lack of idle animations.

They... really are just expecting people to just mindlessly speed through all this, aren't they? Almost no effort or care has been put into the way the damn stages look when you slow down.

• Thumbs Up 3

I actually liked what I saw. The corridors look very fun when speeding through, and I liked that in Unleashed HD, and I will surely like it for this game. Plus, the level probably has a bit more alternate paths than this.

Also, wanting a game to fail just because you don't like it? Please, there are those who like it on Youtube and Facebook and Twitter. People here shouldn't be a bad sport and ruin the game for them just because the dislikers don't like it. Plus, as fans, we should hope for the best for the series, and if there is something or anything we don't like, we should give constructive feedback to Sega and hope they listen, not want a game to fail. That is very unfanlike, and more selfish if you ask me. Plus, the people on SSMB here are just a minority, anyway.

Plus, though this is new, we still haven't seen the majority of the stages yet, and there are potentially more alternate routes in the levels we have already seen that have not been shown off yet. Not to mention, what we have seen are probably the earlier stages, with more to them possibly than what we have seen. Sega has been hiding a lot, and there still could be more that could surprise us. And the demo being short on time limit, many games do that, why should Sonic be an exception? Not to mention, there may be more alternate routes later in the level, which we didn't get to see with the time limit and all. And to say that these being the first few stages is no excuse because other Sonic games had platforming in their first stages, like Generations and Unleashed, those were done by different Directors, and first stages are first stages, regardless of what other games had in their first stages, so I don't see why the first stages shouldn't be a good thing to bring up. Also, the level being done with just one button, you do realize that the classic Sonic games were played using one button, right?

No need to be all doom and gloom about this, you guys.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, ScaryCrystalSkull said:

I actually liked what I saw. The corridors look very fun when speeding through, and I liked that in Unleashed HD, and I will surely like it for this game. Plus, the level probably has a bit more alternate paths than this.

Also, wanting a game to fail just because you don't like it? Please, there are those who like it on Youtube and Facebook and Twitter. People here shouldn't be a bad sport and ruin the game for them just because the dislikers don't like it. Plus, as fans, we should hope for the best for the series, and if there is something or anything we don't like, we should give constructive feedback to Sega and hope they listen, not want a game to fail. That is very unfanlike, and more selfish if you ask me. Plus, the people on SSMB here are just a minority, anyway.

Plus, though this is new, we still haven't seen the majority of the stages yet, and there are potentially more alternate routes in the levels we have already seen that have not been shown off yet. Not to mention, what we have seen are probably the earlier stages, with more to them possibly than what we have seen. Sega has been hiding a lot, and there still could be more that could surprise us. And the demo being short on time limit, many games do that, why should Sonic be an exception? Not to mention, there may be more alternate routes later in the level, which we didn't get to see with the time limit and all. And to say that these being the first few stages is no excuse because other Sonic games had platforming in their first stages, like Generations and Unleashed, those were done by different Directors, and first stages are first stages, regardless of what other games had in their first stages, so I don't see why the first stages shouldn't be a good thing to bring up. Also, the level being done with just one button, you do realize that the classic Sonic games were played using one button, right?

No need to be all doom and gloom about this, you guys.

Wait let me put this blindfold on and cheer with everyone else

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 3

19 minutes ago, RLS Legacy said:

B-b-b-b-but surely they'll fix the level design! And revamp the entire game! Two weeks from release! There's still time, guys!

...right?

But it doesn't really because uh.. Sonic is for kids! Never mind the level design you just expect too much

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 4

I'm honestly shocked at how accurate the drop dash feels, aside from that the time limit is crap and i'm generally i can't get a good idea of how to feel about this game.

Plus the rumble was neat.

1 minute ago, Sonikko said:

Wait let me put this blindfold on and cheer with everyone else

You know, it isn't about being blind. Did you read my first few sentences or the whole thing so quickly? Either way, you don't have to like this game, but to dismiss every reason to defend it when we haven't seen everything; only if you continue to think it is bad will the rest of the game be actually bad to you, ya know.