Awoo.

Sonic Forces SPOILER Thread

Ellipsis-Ultima

7 minutes ago, SpencerTheGr8 said:

So, is this game good or bad? It's hard to get the cliff notes on 100 pages of posts, lol. 

Like, what's good and what's bad about the game?

Reception here is almost universally negative. Few people here think that the gameplay and story are any good. I've just been looking at comments on Youtube, and unsurprisingly things are more positive there.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 1

28 minutes ago, DanisWhite said:

I like how this stage is called Null Space when the only thing related to Null Space is like the first ten seconds. 

Not gonna lie: that's pretty awesome/badass.

The Null Space could've been at least 20 or 50 seconds more, though.

12 minutes ago, SpencerTheGr8 said:

So, is this game good or bad? It's hard to get the cliff notes on 100 pages of posts, lol. 

+The music is pretty decent. As are the graphics.

+Storyline is better than I thought, but still not amazing. 

+Infinite is a decent new character. Eggman is a great villain. 

-Level design ranges from pretty average to terrible. Nothing substantial or exciting. Just boring. 

-Tails has been ruined by inconsistent characterisation again. 

-No Shadow or Chaos boss fight. 

Its going to be a mixed bag here and all across the fan base. Sonic Team need to take a break from the series and understand why Sonic is considered fun. 

Its not a bad game like Shadow the Hedgehog or ‘06. But it’s disappointingly not up to the more recent games like Colours or Generations.

• Thumbs Up 7

3 minutes ago, Mark1 said:

Given how the game ends this is extremely questionable 

• Thumbs Up 8

2 minutes ago, Mark1 said:

+The music is pretty decent. As are the graphics.

+Storyline is better than I thought, but still not amazing. 

-Level design is pretty average. Nothing substantial or exciting. 

-Tails has been ruined by inconsistent characterisation again. 

-No Shadow or Chaos boss fight. 

Its going to be a mixed bag here and all across the fan base. Sonic Team need to take a break from the series and understand why Sonic is considered fun. 

Its not a bad game like Shadow the Hedgehog or ‘06. But it’s disappointingly not up to the more recent games like Colours or Generations.

Hmmm, judging from this, it actually sounds like my kind of game. I'm curious as to how they messed up Tails. Then again, I'm a Sonic Boom Knuckles survivor. Have it written in pink on my shirt. Yes, that was a horrible joke, forgive me.

But I'm one of those crazy psychopaths that like the Adventure games and Sonic Heroes. And PARTS of Shadow and 06. So maybe if it has some similarities to those, I might like it.

20 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Reception here is almost universally negative. Few people here think that the gameplay and story are any good. I've just been looking at comments on Youtube, and unsurprisingly things are more positive there.

Sounds like I might like it. Will have to give it a chance. 

2 hours ago, SpencerTheGr8 said:

Mostly bad, but there are some good things about it. First off, the good;

+ The visuals are nice, especially the backgrounds which are very detailed. And everything runs at a smooth 60fps (except for Switch).

+ The music is really good! Well, most of it. YMMV.

+ You can tell Sonic Team tried to make the story a lot more intriguing this time around and there are some stand out moments such as Sonic and Infinite dissing each other. So kudos for trying...I guess?

+ Knuckles is the leader of the Resistance and not a dumb idiot. FINALLY.

But that brings me to the negatives.

- The level design still sucks. Very simple and very short. Most stages only take 2 minutes to beat.

- The stage selection is extremely disappointing. Only seven in total (separated into 30 smaller stages) and three of them are “retro.” And 80% of them are 2D! 

- Avatar is a horrible addition to the game IMO. Gameplay and story wise. 

- Sonic Team tried with the story but my God what a disappointment in the end! It was underwhelming and left a lot of loose threads hanging. Tails is a coward who constantly relies on Sonic to help him, Infinite’s backstory is never explained (and he’s beaten VERY easily), the other villains were a waste of time and only there for fan service, Dr Eggman is not really himself at times...need I go on? The story is a mess, it has its moments but unfortunately these are overshadowed by all the crap.

In short, Sonic Forces is a mediocre game, and seems to be on par with Sonic Lost World. It’s definitely NOT like Sonic Generations that’s for sure! 

• Thumbs Up 7

hi guys, I arrived late to the party... 102 pages !!!

Does anyone know:

1. How many stages/zones?
  2. Offline coop or even versus?
  3. Sonic Mania story continues here?

Thanks in advance

1 minute ago, celsowm said:

How many stages/zones?

7 zones, 30 stages (counting boss fights) for the story plus some extras.

Offline coop or even versus?

Don't think so.

Sonic Mania story continues here?

Not really. Classic shows up presumably because of the ending of Mania but he may as well have just popped in for no reason.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Diogenes said:

7 zones, 30 stages (counting boss fights) for the story plus some extras.

Don't think so.

Not really. Classic shows up presumably because of the ending of Mania but he may as well have just popped in for no reason.

thanks @Diogenes 

Last question: Who or What is infinite?

thanks @Diogenes 

Last question: Who or What is infinite?

An illusion, probably. There's no actual reveal or explanation, he just vanishes back to the ruby or something when you beat him.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Given how the game ends this is extremely questionable 

This, infinite is literally nothing. That isn't  hyperbole. He seems to be something created by the phantom ruby, and then... dissapears. He was nothing, his "counterfeit cronies" were nothing, the story was nothing

16 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

+ Knuckles is the leader of the Resistance and not a dumb idiot. FINALLY.

Doesn't knuckles get like 80 percent of the resistance slaughtered with a dumb mistake

also knuckles doesn't seem to be leading much of anything. Everyone else seems to be making decisions, and then knuckles just yells " do the thing rookie" and that's all he does. Its almost as if there was no leader of the resistance, but knuckles kept calling himself the leader, but knuckles is so stupid they didn't have time to bother explaining the structure and just let him think that. And they just let him thinking he came up with the idea when relaying information to the rookie character

• Thumbs Up 2

54 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Not gonna lie: that's pretty awesome/badass.

One of the only points in the game where it actually remembers "oh yeah, this game's about a war between Team Sonic and Team Eggman, isn't it?".

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

This, infinite is literally nothing. That isn't  hyperbole. He seems to be something created by the phantom ruby, and then... dissapears. He was nothing, his "counterfeit cronies" were nothing, the story was nothing

Doesn't knuckles get like 80 percent of the resistance slaughtered with a dumb mistake

also knuckles doesn't seem to be leading much of anything. Everyone else seems to be making decisions, and then knuckles just yells " do the thing rookie" and that's all he does. 

I'll take anything over Sonic Boom Knuckles. 

The connection between this game and Mania was honestly something that I was looking forward to. But it doesn't actually make any sense.

In Forces 'dimension', the Phantom Ruby is something that was created by Eggman, right? But in Mania, it's just a rock that was suddenly detected underground on Angel Island. At the end of Mania, the Ruby creates a portal warping both itself and Sonic  to the Forces Dimension, But then in Forces, only Sonic comes through the portal, with no sign of the Mania Ruby at all. What the hell?

I'm willing to concede that the location warping and transformation of the HBHs in Mania were illusions (however lame that may be), but the connection between the two plots doesn't seem to make any sense at all. Am I missing something?

• Thumbs Up 7

59 minutes ago, Mark1 said:

If this is all they have to show for it, they already HAVE taken a break. I maintain that we need new people in Sonic Team. Let's not forget that this team actually thinks these levels are good, and actually have thought about what makes Sonic fun and came to the wrong conclusions. We know this because they had the confidence to use Forces in their lecture on level design. Time to take a forever-break. 

• Thumbs Up 6

28 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I'm willing to concede that the location warping and transformation of the HBHs in Mania were illusions (however lame that may be), but the connection between the two plots doesn't seem to make any sense at all. Am I missing something?

Probably 1 of 2 things:

1) Sonic Team wanted to link the two because they were at one point delusional enough to believe that Mania will be the inferior product based on their experiences with Sonic 4 (obviously ignoring their own incompetence), and that linking them together will allow their "superior" Forces to shine brighter.

2) Sonic Team wanted to link the two because they realized that Mania will be the superior product , and that linking them together will allow Forces to piggyback off the reception of Mania to greater sales before people realized they were conned into buying an inferior product. The limited marketing was a deliberate attempt to obfuscate the truth for as long as possible so as to pull in unwary suck- I mean customers.

But to actually answer your question, they probably didn't care enough to check for inconsistencies between stories and just lazily linked them together at the last minute and possibly screwing up whatever the Mania team originally planned.

• Thumbs Up 4

Should also point out.

If you know anyone who suffers from PTSD or combat stress. The game is a tad offensive.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Mayor D said:

Should also point out.

If you know anyone who suffers from PTSD or combat stress. The game is a tad offensive.

How so?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Probably 1 of 2 things:

1) Sonic Team wanted to link the two because they were at one point delusional enough to believe that Mania will be the inferior product based on their experiences with Sonic 4 (obviously ignoring their own incompetence), and that linking them together will allow their "superior" Forces to shine brighter.

2) Sonic Team wanted to link the two because they realized that Mania will be the superior product , and that linking them together will allow Forces to piggyback off the reception of Mania to greater sales before people realized they were conned into buying an inferior product. The limited marketing was a deliberate attempt to obfuscate the truth for as long as possible so as to pull in unwary suck- I mean customers.

What's sad is the very real possibility of that being the case.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

How so?

Tails witnesses Sonic if being beaten and then captured by Eggman.

For the next 6 months he's on the losing side of a war.

Silver describes him as having "lost it" a term which is often used to describe someones mental state.

We then see him trying and failing to fix a robot (Omega) something he should be able to do, but as we just established he's 'lost it' so it's affecting his ability to perform.

Now... this would be almost ok (though the "lost it" might not be that PC) and could be really interesting social commentary if we see Tails trying to... Oh wait he meets classic Sonic and he's fine now?

Well if that's all it took.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Tails witnesses Sonic if being beaten and then captured by Eggman.

For the next 6 months he's on the losing side of a war.

Silver describes him as having "lost it" a term which is often used to describe someones mental state.

We then see him trying and failing to fix a robot (Omega) something he should be able to do, but as we just established he's 'lost it' so it's affecting his ability to perform.

Now... this would be almost ok (though the "lost it" might not be that PC) and could be really interesting social commentary if we see Tails trying to... Oh wait he meets classic Sonic and he's fine now?

Well if that's all it took.

Yeah, the writers could have done better. Though that may fall on Pontac.

17 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

How so?

Sonic was tortured for several months, gets out is totally fine and no one addresses it

It also is kinda like weird considering there are characters like shadow who have been through some dank shit, and it actually you know...effects how he feels and what he does. And sonic while its a lot less longer than, being locked up in a personal prison for 5 decades , after the last memories you have is watching your best friend die, and coming to terms with you bring bult or augemented to be weapon. But you know, that's still a thing you kinda just can't throw around like that. 

It isn't unique to sonic, but bad writers just like to have bad things happen to characters to make another character feel a thing, but the character who it happened to when its over never addresses it and that character only went through it to sever the purpose of making another character feel emotions. Without actually addressing the harm that did to the person that bad thing happened to.

If you want a worse version of this problem, in a recent and very famous case, SAO season 2. 

It isn't the worst thing , and its sonic so it was probably some cartoon version of torture, but they still decided that just brushing off months of torture was a thing someone could do. Along with it being weird because due to the context of shadow existing and his backstory being I saw my bestfriend get shot up , along with I would imagine other scientists in the ark getting shot up, was locked into super solitary confinement for 5 decades, I can't really believe it was cartoony torture, because there's context for fucked up things happening in the series. So there's no reason as to believe the torture wasn't fucked up. 

Like if you aren't ready to deal with the implications of your story, and the things you wish to include in it, don't imply fucked up shit. Your story doesn't need it, sonic could have just been trapped in the weird ass void power that infinite had , and maybe time moves super slow in there. So for for sonic it was like a day, but when he got out of there,  it was a few months. 

There bam, a much easier story explanation for sonic being gone, and shadow I'm guessing unless he just went on vacation,  that doesn't involve torture and saying tails " lost it " 

• Thumbs Up 7