Awoo.

Sonic Forces SPOILER Thread

Ellipsis-Ultima

4 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Infinite spends the whole game spewing generic edgelord lines just like that. It doesn't need any purpose beyond Sonic and the Avatar refuting it by beating him with teamwork.

Yeah but why make him sound desperate though? To be edgy? Nah. There is something here.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still amazed there's a real zone in a mainline Sonic the Hedgehog AAA game that is called City Zone.

I hope someone from the development team spills the beans and gives some clarity about what happened inside doors.

Just now, JosepHenry said:

Yeah but why make him sound desperate though? To be edgy? Nah. There is something here.

'cause he's losing. His kids-show-villain ideology is crumbling before his eyes because, for all his boasts and all his power, two inferior friend-havers have teamed up to successfully kick his ass.

• Thumbs Up 3

I seriously wanna know wtf is up with Infinite. He is confirmed to be a tragic villain yet his fate isn't explained. Shadow DLC better be worth it.

Not to mention Infinite's way of leaving was TOO suspicious I just refuse to believe this is the last we have heard of him. "No wait! I can still fight!" There is definitely something that dragged him out of continuing to fight. He just becomes a streak of light and goes straight towards the tower.

Just now, JosepHenry said:

I seriously wanna know wtf is up with Infinite. He is confirmed to be a tragic villain yet his fate isn't explained. Shadow DLC better be worth it.

This is especially highlighted with Amy's dialogue in bringing up how sad is must've been for him to be created all alone here. Let me find the exact text...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, JosepHenry said:

It's only 3 stages so I won't expect a big plot twist.

Also just realized. 7 Sonic stages, 3 Shadow stages. 7+3=10 bam there you go shadow playable in 10 modern stages.

I wonder if he'll get new quotes or not. 

To be fair, the generic names for zones make sense to me in this game. Each "act" has a unique name like Sunset Heights or Mortar Canyon. I think it's for the best to use more generic names to refer to the overall area in order to downplay any possible confusion.

Just now, Saber Wisp said:

I'm still amazed there's a real zone in a mainline Sonic the Hedgehog AAA game that is called City Zone.

I hope someone from the development team spills the beans and gives some clarity about what happened inside doors.

It's even worse, really. "Zone" is mostly retired in the Modern era. It's "City". It's literally just freaking City. Can't wait for the Sonic wikia article. "City (Sonic Forces)"! What a memorable title. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 5

2 minutes ago, SonicLegends said:

Not to mention Infinite's way of leaving was TOO suspicious I just refuse to believe this is the last we have heard of him. "No wait! I can still fight!" There is definitely something that dragged him out of continuing to fight. He just becomes a streak of light and goes straight towards the tower.

It's just denial. "im not owned!  im not owned!!", Infinite continues to insist as he slowly fades away and is sucked back into the Phantom Ruby.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 8

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

It's just denial. "im not owned!  im not owned!!", Infinite continues to insist as he slowly fades away and is sucked back into the Phantom Ruby.

This is obviously a sequel hook for Sonic Mania 3 developed by Christian Whitehead and Morio Kishimoto. 

Considering the "Episode Shadow" thingamajig and the fact that Sonic Lost World had (free) DLC, I hope Sonic Lost Forces has some free DLC too. A Wisp can dream. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

He was sealed in the Ruby? But wasn't he a normal guy before?

We don't see him go back into the Phantom Ruby. All we do see is that he becomes a streak of light that isn't fading away like the rest of the illusions he conjured up and he heads towards the tower. It's completely unknown as to what just happened to him. 

@JosepHenry That is correct Izuka said he was once before like Sonic co before he was Infinite.

"I'm not owned, YOU'RE OWNED."

"I didn't lose, I just let you win!"

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Saber Wisp said:

This is obviously a sequel hook for Sonic Mania 3 developed by Christian Whitehead and Morio Kishimoto. 

Considering the "Episode Shadow" thingamajig and the fact that Sonic Lost World had (free) DLC, I hope Sonic Lost Forces has some free DLC too. A Wisp can dream. 

I'm in agreement with you as to that being a possibility, a really rather annoying thing of them to do though because they could have at least done something to hint towards it in foreshadowing Infinite's return.

The Death Egg Robot uses the main Ruby as a power source. Once it's destroyed, all the illusions Infinite made disappear.

It's just Sonic Team being Sonic Team and not explaining anything worth explaining once again.

1 minute ago, JosepHenry said:

He was sealed in the Ruby? But wasn't he a normal guy before?

The only evidence of that is the leaked cover of the yet-to-be-released fourth promotional comic, which we don't know what the fuck is supposed to mean at this point.

What I can say, though, is that I sure as hell didn't see any physical body after he got beat.

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

The only evidence of that is the leaked cover of the yet-to-be-released fourth promotional comic, which we don't know what the fuck is supposed to mean at this point.

What I can say, though, is that I sure as hell didn't see any physical body after he got beat.

Although he is evil, he is not created from an abrupt incident like Chaos, but he is instead an animal character just like Sonic & the others. If you play the free DLC of Shadow’s story, you’ll get to understand why he obtains a powerful strength and becomes evil.

"Why he obtains a powerful strength and becomes evil." This here implies he never had this type of power before prior to his creation or rather modification as a means of rebirth if you will in becoming Infinite and was previously a good guy or at the very least neutral.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, we'll see what happens when the game, DLC, and comic are out. But when the game has him just poof out of existence that's what I'm going with.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, SonicLegends said:

Although he is evil, he is not created from an abrupt incident like Chaos, but he is instead an animal character just like Sonic & the others. If you play the free DLC of Shadow’s story, you’ll get to understand why he obtains a powerful strength and becomes evil.

"Why he obtains a powerful strength and becomes evil." This here implies he never had this type of power before prior to his creation or rather modification as a means of rebirth if you will in becoming Infinite and was previously a good guy or at the very least neutral.

Why do I have a feeling that this "deep origin story" is just going to amount to the same as Metal Sonic being revived in Sonic 4? Robotnik shoots him with a laser and there ya go. I have a feeling Robotnik will kidnap some generic creature and put him in a containment tube, expose him to the phantom ruby energy and he'll transform. Boom, there ya go. I'd be shocked if the story is any more complex than that for Infinite's origin. 

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

I'm worried if people don't like the story, they're going to go back to pontaff writing or just have Sonic be playable again. 

I doubt Forces' writing is going to make the general public argue otherwise. The writing in Colors, Gens, and Lost World wasn't great, but for most critics and people outside of the fanbase it was largely inoffensive.

In contrast, I've already seen people on twitter (among other places) making fun of some of stuff in Forces like the "torture" line, bits where the characters talk about the ongoing war, and the Heroes-esque friendship baloney, and the game isn't even out yet.

With that sort of initial reaction along with Mania's critical success, I have no doubt the next 3D Sonic will feature a much simpler, lighthearted narrative, even if they don't ask Pontaff to return. And honestly, if Forces is the best they can do when they actually try to handle a Sonic narrative more seriously, then it's probably for the best.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, Clewis said:

I doubt Forces' writing is going to make the general public argue otherwise. The writing in Colors, Gens, and Lost World wasn't great, but for most critics and people outside of the fanbase it was largely inoffensive.

In contrast, I've already seen people on twitter (among other places) making fun of some of stuff in Forces like the "torture" line, bits where the characters talk about the ongoing war, and the Heroes-esque friendship baloney, and the game isn't even out yet.

With that sort of initial reaction along with Mania's critical success, I have no doubt the next 3D Sonic will feature a much simpler, lighthearted narrative, even if they don't ask Pontaff to return. And honestly, if Forces is the best they can do when they actually try to handle a Sonic narrative more seriously, then it's probably for the best.

In regarding the friendship bit people should just get off their high horse on that. Sonic stories are not the only ones to have this cliché theme of friendship is power you can go on over to Kingdom Hearts and even Fire Emblem two series that are plot driven in driving this theme one way or another. Heck in the latter's case as a Fire emblem fan veteran the friendship card isn't just something that's part of the new games, but was involved in the older games, but the point of the friendship speeches going on in the games is that for their war stories it was meant to be as morale in keeping everyone's hopes up especially for the final charge or in trying to rebuild and the case just as will was for Forces here.

Heroes was far worse in it because Sonic telling Metal Sonic "Because we're Sonic Heroes!" is just a incredibly silly thing to say narrative wise.

28 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Nothing beats a good dril reference.

This game clearly feels like there was much more planned originally that got removed or downplayed in the released version.

Though the credits definitely makes things all the more awkward.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Wondering how you failed sooo badly"

am I the only one that thinks the voice direction for that line felt REALLY badly done? Like roger sounds really bored and fake.

• Thumbs Up 6