Awoo.

Sonic Forces SPOILER Thread

Ellipsis-Ultima

1 minute ago, Tracker_TD said:

For reference, they gave 06 a 30/40 - so uh, grain of salt with this one lads.

If that is the case, then it's bullshit.

Just now, Mark1 said:

Odyssey got 39/40.

32 for Mania is crazily insulting to the game’s quality though.

That's for supposed hate against 2D platformers in Japanese reviews, I believe.

2 minutes ago, superman43 said:

I've also read that being a Western game might have something to do with it. But if it's over its 2D-ness, then that'd actually explain some of Iizuka's pre-release statements about having to try and get the audience to like 2D again.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, superman43 said:

Why aren't Modern Sonic's levels fully 3D then? We still get the 2D section even when Classic sonic was in 2 games with Modern Sonic<_<

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Typical said:

Why aren't Modern Sonic's levels fully 3D then? We still get the 2D section even when Classic sonic was in 2 games with Modern Sonic<_<

Probably because Boost is fundamentally 2D with 3D sections, not the other way around?

1 minute ago, DoubleXXCross said:

Probably because Boost is fundamentally 2D with 3D sections, not the other way around?

Yeah I know that, it's just that if 2D platformers are allegedly unpopular in Japan, shouldn't that be a reason to discourage Sega from making Boost games like that? And it makes even less sense since we already have classic sonic to represent the 2D sections. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Without sounding too much like a conspiracy.

Put aside the score for just a moment and just look at this logistically.

No review codes for the West until after launch.

Any review codes which do go out would be under an embargo. Typically Sega lifts embargo the day before or the day.

For publication today. Famitsu would have had to have had the review ready to go at least 2 days ago.

Time to play the game and write review/edit etc... at least 2-5 days before that.

So we're looking at a code being given to them at least 2 weeks before release date..

And no other site or publication in Japan has published a review.

Is this not just a tiny bit suspicious?

Likely similar to Edge with Odyssey, I guess? But given Famitsu is weekly, it is a touch more odd than Odyssey.

3 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

For reference, they gave 06 a 30/40 - so uh, grain of salt with this one lads.

Sure sure, and it was the exact same 4 reviewers as well from 11 years ago. Nonsense.

All this means is 4 people enjoyed what they played - it's their opinion at the end of the day, all we've been are merely witnesses at present. 

Still, I am quite surprised at the high end score because to me this game still appears only to be fairly good (I'm still reserving full judgement until a full play) - but at least a positive review should negate something away from the "this game is a bad as '06/ROL" territory which it clearly never was to begin with, no matter the other issues Forces has going on.

I'm interested with the summary for their scores though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Son-icka said:

Sure sure, and it was the exact same 4 reviewers as well from 11 years ago. Nonsense.

All this means is 4 people enjoyed what they played - it's their opinion at the end of the day, all we've been are merely witnesses at present. 

I'd agree were this an isolated incident, but Famitsu are nigh-infamous for some... puzzling reviews in the past. 

Case in point: https://kotaku.com/5520937/do-not-trust-this-magazines-review-scores

Famitsu aren't exactly reliable.

1 minute ago, Tracker_TD said:

I'd agree were this an isolated incident, but Famitsu are nigh-infamous for some... puzzling reviews in the past. 

Case in point: https://kotaku.com/5520937/do-not-trust-this-magazines-review-scores

Famitsu aren't exactly reliable.

The bizarreness of this is the fact that 4 people reviewing a game to accumulate one overall score makes you feel this should be more realiable. :lol:

So hold on. How many Wispon are there?

I've only seen Drill, Burst, Lightning and Cube but the game's boxart shows a Void Wispon which looks like a fleshlight.

1 minute ago, Saber Wisp said:

So hold on. How many Wispon are there?

I've only seen Drill, Burst, Lightning and Cube but the game's boxart shows a Void Wispon which looks like a fleshlight.

I think I've seen like...seven? Drill, burst, lightning, cube, void, asteroid, and hover.

Famitsu gives infamously charitable reviews. I wouldn't worry about it much.

We can expect some brutally critical reviews soon after release.

1 minute ago, Super Mechanio said:

Famitsu gives infamously charitable reviews. I wouldn't worry about it much.

We can expect some brutally critical reviews soon after release.

Especially when the game was developed by SoJ. Not by SoA or SoE.

I never ever trust Famitsu’s “reviews.” This is the same magazine that gave Sonic Mania 32/40 while Sonic Forces gets a higher rating than that. Gtfo. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Call me a pessimist

But uh, I don't think any secret ending is gonna add much, considering a lot of the rest of this game, doesn't seem to have the most effort. I don't even think it really exists, love to be wrong though

• Thumbs Up 4

39 minutes ago, superman43 said:

Especially when the game was developed by SoJ. Not by SoA or SoE.

15 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

I never ever trust Famitsu’s “reviews.” This is the same magazine that gave Sonic Mania 32/40 while Sonic Forces gets a higher rating than that. Gtfo. 

Sega must've paid them off. :ph34r:

Looking at boss fights for the seven locations in the game:

Green Hill - Eggman 

Chemical Planet - ???

City - Metal Sonic

Death Egg - Zavok

Mystic Jungle - Infinite #1 boss

Metropolis - Infinite #2 boss

Eggman Empire Fortress - Infinite #3 boss and Eggman final boss

It is baffling that there was no boss fight over in Chemical Plant... Chaos should have been fought over there given the liquid. Hopefully Shadow dlc gives us a Chaos or Shadow boss fight.

• Thumbs Up 3

Chaos boss fight is the only one that upsets me

I don't really mind there not being a shadow boss fight, you were gonna fight shadow, shadow beat fake shadow, reveals more of the plot. I'm actually ok with that. What I'm not ok with is, why couldn't you have fought a fake chaos before that

8 minutes ago, Booblur99 said:

Sega must've paid them off. :ph34r:

Not necessarily. Famitsu can prefer Japanese releases over any other. That´s maybe why.