Awoo.

Sonic Forces SPOILER Thread

Ellipsis-Ultima

Just for the record guys, don't bring off-site drama here. It isn't worth it and we shouldn't care about someone whining that our community is "too critical." Even putting aside that I'm sure there's plenty of fan communities feeling the same way about the game, well, can't wait until it actually comes out and the general public has the same reactions, eh? Not to mention some of the hardcore defenders might end up not enjoying the game when they play it themselves, it happens every time after all.

Spoiler

And I say that as a LW fan and someone who's still kinda interested in playing this game, eventually.

• Thumbs Up 5

Sorry for taking this in another direction, but wanted to resurface a random request - does anyone have a clean (good quality) SFX rip of Infinite using the Ruby? It's one of the few things I like from Sonic Forces and would like to use it for something! 

Should this game have had another boarding sequence, it's honestly lacking a certain kind of flare that Sonic usually has...and those QTE sections don't cut it.

21 minutes ago, celsowm said:

Man... now I have the same conclusion of some people on the internet:

Sega Japan needs to give Sonic Franchise to Christian Whitehead and his friends. After all, he is "friend to pixels and polys alike". So yes, I think he and the others retro guys can create a good sonic 3d.

He can replicate the retro era, but could his team even manage to get a good looking game like Unleashed or Forces in 3D?

• Thumbs Up 1

Well in this hypothetical scenario, they could just bring in Sonic Team's art / modelling team, couldn't they? Assuming they didn't just get straight up fired from the company.

• Thumbs Up 6

11 minutes ago, DiamondX said:

He can replicate the retro era, but could his team even manage to get a good looking game like Unleashed or Forces in 3D?

No, but that's why you hire more people for a bigger game. Maybe even people from Sonic Team.

• Thumbs Up 1

Off-topic, but: the credits song 'Light of Hope' is sung by one Amy Hannam, who, upon a quick Google search, appears to be a total non-entity. All that comes up are Facebook profiles and a couple of Linkedin pages.

Which I guess continues the series tradition of hiring singers no-one has ever heard of, but it does pose the question: I'm not knocking Hannam's singing, in fact I think her voice is rather beautiful, but where the hell does SEGA find these people? This is a multi million dollar games company, and this is a song for one of the most globally recognised gaming IPs... and they hire someone who appears to have no resume or presence whatsoever.

What's the deal here? Why do SEGA keep doing this?

3 minutes ago, RLS Legacy said:

Off-topic, but: the credits song 'Light of Hope' is sung by one Amy Hannam, who, upon a quick Google search, appears to be a total non-entity. All that comes up are Facebook profiles and a couple of Linkedin pages.

Which I guess continues the series tradition of hiring singers no-one has ever heard of, but it does pose the question: I'm not knocking Hannam's singing, in fact I think her voice is rather beautiful, but where the hell does SEGA find these people? This is a multi million dollar games company, and this is a song for one of the most globally recognised gaming IPs... and they hire someone who appears to have no resume or presence whatsoever.

Saves money?

• Thumbs Up 4

8 minutes ago, RLS Legacy said:

the credits song 'Light of Hope' is sung by one Amy Hannam,

She sounded a bit like Rihanna to me, and the piano intro reminded me of a song I heard in the past (can't put my finger on it).

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, RLS Legacy said:

Which I guess continues the series tradition of hiring singers no-one has ever heard of.

At least we are introduced to artists we would otherwise probably never hear about. Before Sonic 2006, I have never heard of Zebrahead (rapper Ali Tabatabaee and singer Matty Lewis did the vocals for His World), now it is my all time favorite band. Before Sonic and the Black Night, I have never heard of All Ends, now I know they are a very good metal band.

• Thumbs Up 4

21 minutes ago, RLS Legacy said:

If I had to guess, she may have sent in a demo / showreel (like her most recent video on Youtube) to SEGA and other companies, and they liked her voice enough to bring her in. If someone's currently an unknown that's probably how it works. Like, there aren't exactly something like casting calls for music...as far as I know. XP

• Thumbs Up 4

8 minutes ago, RLS Legacy said:

I'd say the reason is twofold:

• It helps get up-and-coming musicians get out there with professional work an' such - I mean, it's not a massive boost (Sonic ain't as big of a name as he was), but having "oh I did the end credits song for a Sonic game" on yer CV/resume still attracts employer's attention innit.
  • As you'd imagine, it's waaaaaaaaay cheaper than getting in well-known names for all the songs innit.
  • Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Regarding Taxman/team Mania in general working on a 3D game, while I can't say with confidence that they'd nail 3D Sonic on their first try (considering that Mania is largely about reproducing and expanding on a known and very solid gameplay style, while 3D Sonic has yet to be conclusively solved), I would feel more confident in a game if I knew they were attached to it.

Then again, for practical reasons it might not be best to rush them into it. Rather than risking their reputation with both the public and Sonic Team it might be better for them to focus on 2D games for now and build up a more solid relationship with Sega, and maybe even wait and see how 3D fan games develop and if they can poach some ideas/talent from them.

Of course, who knows if Sega/Sonic Team is or ever would be willing to let them in on something like that anyway.

Maybe have them tackle some of the handheld games during the 2000s.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd agree with that comparison.  The handheld games were essentially the continuation of 2D Sonic after the main series went 3D, and it seems to me that that's a good model to follow; separate 2D and 3D branches tailored to different kinds of fan.  Mario takes a similar approach, because for all the excellence of their best 3D styles, there are always people who'll prefer or merely want to revisit the traditional style.  It seems to me that there was a time when 3D was assumed to be the true next step in gaming, one which rendered 2D gameplay entirely redundant, but I think time has proved that to be very much a fallacy.  2D isn't just for cheap spinoffs.  Its structure, potential, and appeal are all different.

• Thumbs Up 4

Continuing on from what I said earlier, what really annoys me is how this game fails to deliver on one of its main premises, which is liberating Sonic's world from Eggman's rule as you go on.

I haven't seen the entire game so I'm just making assumptions based on what I've seen and heard, but does the game even bother to explain how these places were eventually "liberated"? I doubt it. As far as I'm concerned, the "#% of the world freed" or whatever it's called percentage is merely a progress tracker.

And again, I'm annoyed with how we barely get to see the effects of Eggman's rule. You might as well just say that Eggman only managed to conquer one continent and things would be the same.

Sonic CD makes me feel like I'm saving Little Planet from Eggman's clutches. Sonic Unleashed makes me feel like I'm traveling Sonic's world. Super Mario Odyssey makes me feel like I'm traveling Mario's world. Sonic Forces attempts to do both of these things and fails.

At the very least, they could've attempted to do world building by being the first "serious" story and the first story to take place back on Sonic's world in nearly a decade, and they failed at that too. I haven't seen the whole world map, but from what I've heard it's basically a huge retcon of what Sonic's world looked like in Unleashed. No mentions of GUN or anything like that either. I guess we should consider any pre-2010 canon to be dead at this point, save for the occasional reference for "muh nostalgia" purposes.

• Thumbs Up 8

1 hour ago, DiamondX said:

I agree 2d wise he's gold and up to sonic r level but when it comes to unleaded style 3d I don't know

Yea hire a large team but I'd prefer the chapters personality wise to still be separate

2 hours ago, Super Mechanio said:

The Mania special stages do show that his team can do 3D gameplay. Obviously a platformer would need to play differently, but it's still a good showing of what they're capable of doing.

No it doesn't I don't like those stages, and that is nothing like any of the 3d I want. 

2 hours ago, Super Mechanio said:

My dream team for Sonic is Whitehead and his team making the games and Ian Flynn writing the stories. That'd be enough to make me an active fan of the series who regularly buys these games again.

I want the Ian flynn part, the mania team would have to show an active effort to not just understanding how 3d functions, but able to use a 3d sonic aesthetic, because I don't want classic shit

• Chuckle 1

Just now, Shadowlax said:

I want the Ian flynn part, the mania team would have to show an active effort to not just understanding how 3d functions, but able to use a 3d sonic aesthetic, because I don't want classic shit

Now that you mention, a 3D classic-style Sonic game would be really friggin' cool. Imagine a 3D game with cutscenes and dialogue - but Eggman wears a cape! 

...But sure, I'm sure they could use the lanky modern designs. They're game-designers and aren't bound to a particular art style. The 3D games' identity is largely tied to the modern designs, and the 2D games (well, the fondly-remembered ones) are largely tied to the classic designs. I'm sure they'd be fine using either look for the series.

• Thumbs Up 6

6 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

No it doesn't I don't like those stages, and that is nothing like any of the 3d I want.

It does, clearly. It shows they can do Sonic 3D Blast Saturn version special stage 3D...but that's about all it shows. It doesn't show their ability to do Sonic R 3D which is the next step forward.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It does, clearly. It shows they can do Sonic 3D Blast Saturn version special stage 3D...but that's about all it shows. It doesn't show their ability to do Sonic R 3D which is the next step forward.

Yo forreal

If I could get a new sound track like that, can we get sonic r2

I don't even want the games, I just want the songs man

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

On 10/31/2017 at 1:52 PM, MysteriousGirl 92 said:

How is that Charmy gets roasted but Tails doesn't get scolded?

Because Charmy was being, well, not very charming about their new ally's appearance/capabilities, prompting Knuckles to point out that he isn't exactly intimidating himself.  

Meanwhile, Tails is generally a humble kid who does what he can to help. Besides, what exactly would they be scolding him about? Most of the stuff people are complaining about here happen when he's alone and he's clerly out of his debt.

• Thumbs Up 2