Awoo.

Sonic Forces SPOILER Thread

Ellipsis-Ultima

SEGA banned the guy that was releasing stages one by one. That´s just pathetic.

(EDIT: Yes, I know that it was actually Youtube after getting claims of rights by SEGA.)

3 hours ago, DiamondX said:

He can replicate the retro era, but could his team even manage to get a good looking game like Unleashed or Forces in 3D?

Yes they can ! And even get a better looking than Forces 

I know that Hedgehog Engine is a good engine but with Unreal or even Unity you can create Beautiful games with a small team like Sonic Utopia

I think the problem now is not more about graphics but about level design and story

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Tails is generally a humble kid who does what he can to help. Besides, what exactly would they be scolding him about? Most of the stuff people are complaining about here happen when he's alone and he's clerly out of his debt.

Tails didn't even do anything useful to help Sonic, not to mention cowering in fear over a few robots and Chaos 0. Clearly, he forgot what he vowed to do in SA1 and SA2.

Edited by MysteriousGirl 92
'to' was missing
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Man what a dissapointment.
A game about Dr. Eggman in charge. So do we get scared citizens worshipping Eggman statues, giant Tv screens of Eggman demanding citizens to do silly things in his honor, an even more extreme version of Mania's Robotnik Tv show? Do we get Robotnik themed circusses, opera's, themeparks? Nope, nope nope.

People on this thread keep comparing it to SATAM Robotnik but even that's way overshooting it, at least SATam Robotnik sits on an epic throne, feels like the center and beating heart of a terrifying empire, sending out giant armies or robots and battleships out to destroy entire forests.
What does Forces Eggman even do? Hang around with Cubot and Orbot in Green Hill zone immediatly getting his ass kicked by Classic Sonic hopping by. Great.
That's the culimination of the concept of Eggman being in control of the world, him being the same dumbass he is in the light hearted filler adventures.
Except here it feels horribly out of place.
It's not light hearted silly Sonic, but neither is it Dark Serious Sonic. It's nothing. It's in a meaningless purgatory in the middle.
Even in Sonic Colors Eggman had more of an evil presence with the Themepark anouncements. This game has the coolest premise ever, why is it so booooooooring??

I rushed off this crummy Flash movie in 5 days after I was amused with Webber's statement that Big's having vacation during the Forces events. I figured I wouldn't even touch the surface of the actual crazy things Robotnik would be doing as master of the world, but nope, even with rushing everything and having to delete half my jokes I got more out of the concept then Forces ever did. Boo.

And the story keeps focusing on stupid Mc Guffin nonsense. The writers are practically patting themselves on the back how proud they are that they came up with the great plot twist of "Eggman had 2 power sources" like that's some kind of crazy twist. Yawn. Sonic Adventure Eggman had about 4 or 5 back up plans and never made a big deal about it. Even in Colors, Eggman had 6 or 7 generators, but now him having one back up is supposed to be the great twist? Buzz off.
Isn't that the type of mundane stuff you should get out of the way with the in-level banter? Sure let Knuckles prattle on about back up generators and other Mc Guffin stuff during the level missions. But keep the cutscenes for cool stuff happening.

Just like Sonic Lost world there's no flow in the writing. We don't get a transition between Dumb Knuckles/ Guardian Knuckles into him taking the role of Rebellion leader. He just magically is. All we get is the comic and even that one was a "Oh, I suddenly decided to become a leader of a rebellion" out of thin air.
I hate complaining about this because I'm so happy Knuckles is finally useful in some way. But it's exactly this type of careless "Oh, now just assume THIS is how the characters are supposed to be" quality of wiring that creates my intense distrust and lack of respect in the writing and why the Sonic series is just a pile of brainless meta fanservice these days.

We don't get to see the world being peaceful and natural before the time skip, so there's no contrast after Eggman took over. It's already broken and corrupted before Eggman's victory, with no advancements afterward. We don't see a heroic tough looking Tails suddenly realizing he's way over his head and break down, he's cowardly right from the start.
Sonic isn't affected by his "torture". It's just empty meanignless dark banter just like Lost world with it's "Eggman will strangle the Zeti" stuff that never went anywhere. All this "dark dialogue" just feels like troll bait. Get sensetive Sonic fans rioting over nothing.

And speaking of Zeti, now I still don't know if these guys are still alive, if Zavok has any opinion about him being cloned.
And there's nothing to say about Infinite. He's just there. Half his screentime is going "Hmpf, you're not worth fighting" and the other half is him getting his ass kicked.

And Iizuka's statement that he wanted people to think about "Why" Shadow was evil becomes a giant facepalm. Of course everyone's crazy theories end up being a million times better then reality, even the sarcastic and cynical ones.
I assume we get to see more of Shadow's thoughts in the DLC because the only insight in Shadow's opinions on the matter we get is "Hmpfh." Even Sonic Boom Shadow is a more complex character then Forces Shadow and my mind boggles what an insane statement that is.

All this talk about that 3d Sonic and Dark Serious Sonic Doesn't work will drive me nuts the coming weeks, this game is neither. It's dull.
Dull Sonic doesn't work. And yeah, well duh.

That said, I don't hate the game too much.
It feels okay to play, like Sonic Boom Fire and Ice. Mostly harmless. Love the music. Level themes are interesting.
The levels have brief moments of fun gameplay.
Far as I'm concerned, it isn't a bad game. It doesn't do anything I hate.
But man, the missed oppurtunities, the wasted potential. That's a giant elephant in the room suffociating this tiny little game that has no chance of even coming close to the impact it should have had.
If we got this game with the story scope of Sonic Colors 2, I'd be praising this game as a fun little but unimpressive side game. But alas, it just had to take the coolest and most epic premise possible and steal that away from other more worthy games to try and pursue. And man, is it pathetic to see it try to aim for the stars when it can't even hop over a pebble.

And are you kidding me that the very first Modern Sonic stage we saw of him in the city is actually from the second half of the game? A level resembling a tutorial stage? Seriously?

That's what gets me about this game; it's not bad in the technical sense, but goddamn does it just reek of laziness and wasted potential. Like Sonic Team came up with all of these ideas, but couldn't bothered to think of a way of making them work organically and just half-assed the whole thing. This game isn't terrible, and I'm sure it's going to get "ok" reviews, but good god is it a massive disappointment after all of the marketing and hype. And I hope people rightfully call this game out for his laziness.

We get games like Super Mario Odyssey and Sonic Mania filled with passion and attention to detail, and then Sonic Forces comes around and it just feels like Sonic Team do not give a shit about the presentation of their flagship series.

• Thumbs Up 9

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Meanwhile, Tails is generally a humble kid who does what he can to help. Besides, what exactly would they be scolding him about? Most of the stuff people are complaining about here happen when he's alone and he's clerly out of his debt.

Tails defeated that giant Egg Walker at the end of Sonic Adventure 1 on his own, now he is scared of a few small robots. He defeated Chaos 4 on his own who had the power of 4 Chaos Emeralds, now he's scared shitless by Chaos 0. When he was scared by those totally average robots, Sonic hasn't been defeated and taken yet, so you can't say it was because that trauma. And when he was scared from Chaos 0 after Sonic has been taken, I'd remind you that he thought Sonic died right in front of him towards the end of Sonic Adventure 2, yet he still carried on fighting. So the whole 'trauma' argument doesn't hold ground either. They simply made him a pussy because god forbid there's another capable character in the story other than the Sonics or your fan character. That would be too much for the writers to handle.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hey guys, question. Remember in the trailer they have a shot of Modern Sonic falling in a pit? When is that in the game?

33 minutes ago, MysteriousGirl 92 said:

Tails didn't even do anything useful to help Sonic, not to mention cowering in fear over a few robots and Chaos 0. Clearly, he forgot what he vowed to do in SA1 and SA2.

In my head canon in the Sonic Colors opening we see Tails fly fast and race alongside Sonic, but then he injured his legs and Tails by pulling muscle cramps. So he couldn't do that again. Eggman's ray managed to heal him for a bit instead of take full control, since Eggman is a complete loser during this period, so he accidentally has the mind ray set to heal. Once it wears of Tails limbs have muscle cramps again as it was only a temporary heal.

4 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Hey guys, question. Remember in the trailer they have a shot of Modern Sonic falling in a pit? When is that in the game?

That happens at the end of a QTE segment in Modern Sonic's Death Egg level, early in the game. It transitions into a skydiving segment.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

He defeated Chaos 4 on his own who had the power of 4 Chaos Emeralds...

He didn't do that, unfortunately one flaw of Sonic Adventure's storytelling. In accuracy, Tails only ever fought the EggWalker in that game.

13 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

And are you kidding me that the very first Modern Sonic stage we saw of him in the city is actually from the second half of the game? A level resembling a tutorial stage? Seriously?

Makes the "it's just the first level" defense kinda funny in retrospect..

Maybe changed the order of the levels at some point. Would explain the apparent shifting difficulty.

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

He didn't do that, unfortunately one flaw of Sonic Adventure's storytelling. In accuracy, Tails only ever fought the EggWalker in that game.

Or Sonic and Tails both fought Chaos 4.

• Thumbs Up 6

16 minutes ago, Razule said:

Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles were there...but it's pretty obvious that only one of them fought Chaos phase 4 narratively speaking.

19 minutes ago, Razule said:

& Knuckles. No really he was there too and had a Chaos 4 boss fight. Likely they all worked together as I doubt Tails and especially Knuckles just sat back and did nothing.

24 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

& Knuckles. No really he was there too and had a Chaos 4 boss fight. Likely they all worked together as I doubt Tails and especially Knuckles just sat back and did nothing.

If it happened today, they would sit back and cheer for Sonic

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 5

6 minutes ago, antyep said:

If it happened today, they would sit back and cheer for Sonic

I think story wise they all did it as I just don't see any of them during that game to just sit back and watch. I only make a difference for like Chaod 6 as Sonic and Knuckles fought him at different times. Big also was just fishing for Froggy and not really fighting since that was never the point of his mission. Sonic also tells him to leave after he got Froggy back if remember correctly.

I swear everytime someone says cheer for Sonic I have to always come back to the Generations ending. Where that's what everyone does. Especially the "You got dis Sonic" line from Shadow.

Playing the demo, it looks like the robots do attack in 3D boost sections in Green Hill. They just don't do anything in that first one.

Or is this old news

I feel like this game reeked of pure laziness. Like I would loved if they used past levels, for example Station Square, and show how that place was affected and that would've been a great opportunity in having a Chaos 0 boss fight.

And where the hell was G.U.N. at? Like we know Team Dark was sent by them to Green Hill, and then what? They just stop fighting? They could've definitely had been a great impact on the story, they could've even help this "Resistance", but the Sonic Team didn't even try.

Even come to think of it with Metropolis they could've brought THE Grand Metropolis stage as a place where HexaEco was pushing back Eggmans attack or something, but the Team didn't even try and make something out of this game and that's what disappointing me the most and it just sucks.

• Thumbs Up 7

3 minutes ago, Joellui said:

And where the hell was G.U.N. at?

According to Iizuka, they're "on the human world." Since Sonic takes place on two different worlds now.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

2 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

According to Iizuka, they're "on the human world." Since Sonic takes place on two different worlds now.

So they can't come to Sonic's world, but sonic and his friends can come to theirs?

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

So they can't come to Sonic's world, but sonic and his friends can come to theirs?

Well.. Team Dark is there

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

I mean, Eggman is evidently traveling between them, so I don't see why not.

I think in their attempts to simplify things, this weird retcon just made everything way more complicated and nonsensical.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

I mean Team Dark was clearly sent by them to investigate Green Hill so it would only make sense for them to help out.

2 minutes ago, Razule said:

Well.. Team Dark is there

I mean the humans specifically on /that/ world. Don't see why we can't have a cross between the two. You'd think since GUN is so interested in Sonic and co, they'd be studying his world, frequently traveling to it since they have agents their. 

Also, is Shadows then origin, the human world?