Awoo.

Sonic Forces SPOILER Thread

Ellipsis-Ultima

20 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Even if it was the point of 06 it was a dumb point. They tried to make Sonic and co. blend in with humans when they should have done the reverse.

Honestly imo it looked good for a reboot had the game not been a mess and in game cuteseces looked like the cgi ones

On 11/1/2017 at 8:08 AM, RLS Legacy said:

They're actually on the soles of his shoes.

Which is completely stupid.

Getting back onto the topic of Forces: 

spitroast.thumb.png.0a5f292eb2544d90febc67edc8474652.png

I sincerely hope they were aware of the implications of this line because... Christ, Amy. Keep your lewd fantasies to yourself.

I second this. From a graphic design point of view what the hell was the point of giving him his own little logo if it's only gonna be on the soles of his shoes? A universe specific version of Nike/Under Armour/Adidas?  I think it would have been fucking badass if Sonic had been "branded" with it during that beatdown in the initial cutscene. Infinite would have left a mark on him (both figuratively & literally) during those six months of imprisonment.

Also - it seems the in stage dialogue popups are the only area where you see even a remote sliver of the other characters' & their personality.  I rather read through this than watch the cutscenes that barely explain anything.

P.S. - You go, Amy. Get it girl.

• Thumbs Up 4

16 minutes ago, SonicLegends said:

No surprise. People need to rember different regions like different things.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Famitsu doesn't represent Japan though

I bet Japanese gamers as a whole won't really like Forces

• Thumbs Up 7

12 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Not just that. Everyone likes different things. If someone loves Forces, then that's great, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Exactly

15 minutes ago, PerfectChaos said:

Famitsu doesn't represent Japan though

I bet Japanese gamers as a whole won't really like Forces

Its probably the biggest and most popular gaming publication for Japan. It may not be every piece of Japan but has been a very large voice for japansince late 80s

25 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Famitsu is no more representative of Japan than Nintendo Power was representative of America.

Sonic as a whole isn't particularly popular in Japan (likely stemming from lackluster Megadrive sales in the 90s meaning the franchise never really made the same slash when it debuted), so I'm not expecting Forces to do particularly well in the Japanese market, just like Sonic's other games.

• Thumbs Up 4

20 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

Famitsu is no more representative of Japan than Nintendo Power was representative of America.

Sonic as a whole isn't particularly popular in Japan (likely stemming from lackluster Megadrive sales in the 90s meaning the franchise never really made the same slash when it debuted), so I'm not expecting Forces to do particularly well in the Japanese market, just like Sonic's other games.

It may not hit sale milestones but in terms of what people think of it I've yet to see any gripes on any Japanese boards.

That said I'm not saying forces doesn't have faults it just seems that do not care

Just now, Meta77 said:

It may not hit sale milestones but in terms of what people think of it I've yet to see any gripes on any Japanese boards.

That's because the Sonic fandom is pretty niche in Japan. The Sonic fans Japan does have may be relatively content with the series, but there still aren't a lot of them, meaning the series hasn't done a stellar job appealing to Japanese audiences as some here suggest.

3 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

That's because the Sonic fandom is pretty niche in Japan. The Sonic fans Japan does have may be relatively content with the series, but there still aren't a lot of them, meaning the series hasn't done a stellar job appealing to Japanese audiences as some here suggest.

That's cause segas business structure. 

6 minutes ago, Yuluga said:

See, that was good. I wish Eggman had half this much personality in the game itself.

Although, not to nitpick, but Eggman's never stuffed full-sized anthropomorphic animals into Badniks so that probably wasn't what was happening during Forces. And even if he did, the robots would be separate entities than the animals powering them, so it's not exactly a 1:1 with the cartoons' concept of roboticization, which this video seemed to be alluding to.

• Thumbs Up 6

16 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

See, that was good. I wish Eggman had half this much personality in the game itself.

What do you expect?

Here he is fooling people, in the game he wants to kill the resistance. He can't be goofy all of the time... And I saw plenty moments with Eggman acting like he always did. Example the Egg Dragoon boss and cutscenes. What you didn't like about those scenes? He is acting the same is he ever did, his goofy gestures are the same! He is a villain, the main villain, you don't want him to be at least one bit threatening?

20 minutes ago, Yuluga said:

Oh dude... If Forces was full of scenes like this that would had been great! Reminds me of the stuff Ratchet & Clank does!

• Thumbs Up 4

7 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

What do you expect?

Here he is fooling people, in the game he wants to kill the resistance. He can't be goofy all of the time... And I saw plenty moments with Eggman acting like he always did. Example the Egg Dragoon boss and cutscenes. What you didn't like about those scenes? He is acting the same is he ever did, his goofy gestures are the same! He is a villain, the main villain, you don't want him to be at least one bit threatening?

Ehh, he felt super-downplayed in this game. His empire also looked incredibly boring and lifeless; Not the self-aggrandizing ode to himself that I'd expect a world ruled by Eggman to look like.

Him being threatening is fine, but it shouldn't be at the expense of his whimsical personality. He can and should be both. I just feel like the people behind this story didn't really "get" Eggman, so he comes off as kind of shallow and drab in this game compared to his usual portrayals.

• Thumbs Up 9

Just now, Super Mechanio said:

Ehh, he felt super-downplayed in this game. His empire also looked incredibly boring and lifeless; Not the self-aggrandizing ode to himself that I'd expect a world ruled by Eggman to look like.

Him being threatening is fine, but it shouldn't be at the expense of his whimsical personality. He can and should be both. I just feel like the people behind this story didn't really "get" Eggman, so he comes off as kind of shallow and lifeless in this game compared to his usual portrayals.

Hm. I bet if his robots and his empire had more colors and his face in the walls you wouldn't even think about his portrayal being.... worse in this game.

7 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

Him being threatening is fine, but it shouldn't be at the expense of his whimsical personality. He can and should be both. I just feel like the people behind this story didn't really "get" Eggman, so he comes off as kind of shallow and lifeless in this game compared to his usual portrayals.

Yup. They shouldn't have to turn Eggman into almost another character just to make him seem threatening... A super villain that can be funny & flashy while stepping on your face is among the most fun type especially out of characters like Eggman where you expect it from them. But then again almost all the characterization for everybody felt off in this game to me.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, JosepHenry said:

Hm. I bet if his robots and his empire had more colors and his face in the walls you wouldn't even think about his portrayal being.... worse in this game.

I mean, that makes a pretty big difference. Eggman's had bright, colorful, cute robots since 1991. Changing it up here seems weird, and not in a good way. It makes me think of his generic drones from Sonic 06. And yeah, more statues and emblems of his face would've gone a long way. It is supposed to be a world ruled by Eggman after all. It ought to look like one.

That said, Eggman planning to destroy the world he already conquered with the sun, just so he can... conquer it again, I guess...? ...was kind of dumb. Like, why's he wrecking his own stuff?

• Thumbs Up 6

1 minute ago, Super Mechanio said:

I mean, that makes a pretty big difference. Eggman's had bright, colorful, cute robots since 1991. Changing it up here seems weird, and not in a good way. It makes me think of his generic drones from Sonic 06. And yeah, more statues and emblems of his face would've gone a long way. It is supposed to be a world ruled by Eggman after all. It ought to look like one.

That said, Eggman planning to destroy the world he already conquered with the sun, just so he can... conquer it again, I guess...? ...was kind of dumb. Like, why's he wrecking his own stuff?

I agree on that, I was expecting am Eggmanland type place but not even that showed up

and the sun part was just absurd.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, JosepHenry said:

I agree on that, I was expecting am Eggmanland type place but not even that showed up

and the sun part was just absurd.

And that's kind of what I mean. 

Eggman has a few one-liners here and there, but overall they turned him into some generic "evil destroyer" villain instead of the calculating genius conqueror we know and love. Like, Eggman's not above destroying things as leverage to get what he wants, but the whole planet? The whole planet that he already rules? It's evil just for evil's sake, which flies in the face of the kind of villain Eggman is.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Super Mechanio said:

And that's kind of what I mean. 

Eggman has a few one-liners here and there, but overall they turned him into some generic "evil destroyer" villain instead of the calculating genius conqueror we know and love. Like, Eggman's not above destroying things as leverage to get what he wants, but the whole planet? The whole planet that he already rules? It's evil just for evil's sake, which flies in the face of the kind of villain Eggman is.

I'm not saying that was a good idea or well planned but maybe Eggman's empire at that point wasn't what he wanted? Maybe he just mass producted the generic robots as fast as he could just to conquer the world first and then paint it with his image? But then comes the sun part and..... At this point Inwonder if Sonic Team even thinks if we are going to question this kind of stuff. But to be fair the Death Egg and Scrap Brain weren't that colorful either.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

I'm not saying that was a good idea or well planned but maybe Eggman's empire at that point wasn't what he wanted? Maybe he just mass producted the generic robots as fast as he could just to conquer the world first and then paint it with his image? But then comes the sun part and..... At this point Inwonder if Sonic Team even thinks if we are going to question this kind of stuff. But to be fair the Death Egg and Scrap Brain weren't that colorful either.

The Death Egg had Eggman's giant face on it.

Scrap Brain was from the very first game, so I feel like it stands out a little less due to early-installment weirdness.

• Thumbs Up 6