Awoo.

Sonic Forces SPOILER Thread

Ellipsis-Ultima

1 hour ago, Razule said:

If Boom Sonic ever was in Forces, at one point might he have been taken out?

I say as late as only a year ago. This is a long shot, but the Avatar character's move set relies on a grappling hook which is not unlike the Enerbeam.

• Thumbs Up 3

I decided to go ahead and watch the cutscenes from the game. Here are my thoughts.

I thought it was ok, but it had a few annoying flaws that others pointed out, like how cowardly Tails was, he wasn’t even shown fighting during the war sequence. I do agree that some of the writing was cringey, and the preaching about friendship felt too forced. I also hated how they introduced Eggman taking over with a blank screen and text. That was very underwhelming.

There was a lot of wasted opportunity with the avatar and Infinite. I’m aware there is more exposition in this game with the communicator segements, but I’m sure a lot of us wanted to see these things, not just see the characters heads mention it. As much as I didn’t want the avatars in this game, I was almost invested with that flashback of the avatar being too scared to fight back Infinite, but the rest of the game did nothing with them. Even the Avatar’s send off was weak, it felt very rushed and unexplained.

I wish the characters had more to do than just stand around and give exposition. The fight scenes felt kind of underwhelming, they were fun at first, but ended too soon. We only got to see each pull off one attack, and that was it... I knew Sega was going to barely include them again...

The ending felt kind of dickish to be honest. All of Sonic’s friends decide they’re going to stay as a team, yet Sonic and the avatar ditch them. How did we go from Sonic preaching about having friends, to just not wanting to be a part of an alliance? I wish the game clarified that Sonic still wants to help his friends out, while still having his freedom, that’s likely what they were going for, but it felt too rushed. The way they went from Knuckles concluding that a mute character is leaving for unexplained reasons, to everyone preaching about friendship, and jumping to Sonic and Avatar running in different directions felt really random.

With all the things I disliked, there were things I liked. I liked the music, I liked the villains, the opening cutscenes were entertaining, until that text screen rushed ahead to 6 months later. The fight with Silver and Infinite was cool, yet short. There were a few parts I laughed at, like Knuckles’s comment to Charmy, or Sonic’s comment about seeing Classic Sonic. The song during the credits was very nice as well.

Overall, I feel mixed. It wasn’t as terrible as others feared, but I feel like nothing really happened. It’s still a big improvement over the stories of Colors, Generations, and Lost World, but it did have too many missed opportunities. Is it sad that I found the short story for the Lego Dimensions Sonic Pack better than the stories we’ve been getting lately?... I’ll have to play the game for myself, before I can say whether I like the game, or don’t. Only 4 more days.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

So Infinite sending Sonadow to Eggman is the most character he probably has according to twitter XD

For context:

• Chuckle 3

1 minute ago, hifihedgehog said:

For context:

That was too funny, I would have laughed if they opened it, and we got to hear them scream in terror.

2 hours ago, SpongicX said:

That was too funny, I would have laughed if they opened it, and we got to hear them scream in terror.

Oh great, Kirk still hasn't improved as Shadow. Yeah, umm, directors of voice acting...STOP MAKING HIM USE THE ;THE 'DRACULA' IMPRESSION!

10 minutes ago, That one Fan said:

Oh great, Kirk still hasn't improved as Shadow. Yeah, umm, directors of voice acting...STOP MAKING HIM USE THE ;THE 'DRACULA' IMPRESSION!

I saw someone suggest that kirk does;t like shadow and phones it in, I don't think thats the case.

I think Kirk has A voice, and that voice isn't really meant much for shadow

• Fist Bump 2

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

I saw someone suggest that kirk does;t like shadow and phones it in, I don't think thats the case.

I think Kirk has A voice, and that voice isn't really meant much for shadow

Honestly I think his Saix voice would have been a much better choice for Shadow

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, That one Fan said:

Honestly I think his Saix voice would have been a much better choice for Shadow

Maybe, I dunno. I don't think kirk is one of those VA's who got like a bunch of voices

He has line one, and he can use that one voice in a bunch of different ways, but you can tell him because has one voice. Its like steve blum, you know when its steve blum, or JYB, or guys like that. 

2 hours ago, Razule said:

If Boom Sonic ever was in Forces, at one point might he have been taken out?

I wanna say around 2015, when it was very obvious that both Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystal were failures. That might have been when they decided to replace Boom!Sonic with something else, and this the Custom Character was born! Or could’ve been as late as early 2016 when they changed it considering the gameplay similarities, I don’t know.

8 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Maybe, I dunno. I don't think kirk is one of those VA's who got like a bunch of voices

He has line one, and he can use that one voice in a bunch of different ways, but you can tell him because has one voice. Its like steve blum, you know when its steve blum, or JYB, or guys like that. 

I thought he was quite good in blue Excoritst and voicing young Isa

1 minute ago, speedfreak said:

I watched a bunch of the secret stages on YouTube. Seems every one of them is nothing but 2D gameplay. :/

Bummer

32 minutes ago, speedfreak said:

I watched a bunch of the secret stages on YouTube. Seems every one of them is nothing but 2D gameplay. :/

I watched 3 of them. Not only are they 2D, but they are literally nothing but stages made of blocks...not a siingle curve, slope or angle to them. What a complete joke. I'd be embarassed to put stages like those in a Sonic fan game, let alone a AAA retail release. They really do not understand at all what was great about Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 5

4 minutes ago, Ultimate Victory 64 said:

Sorta off topic can we come to an agreement that Null Space is the best level

Huh.. that OC kinda looks like a shark. 

23 minutes ago, Ultimate Victory 64 said:

Sorta off topic can we come to an agreement that Null Space is the best level

That's probably true.

Which is really sad because the level's about 90% rail and 9% enemy ambush.

Shadow being an ironic, affable edgelord is the best thing to happen to the character, tbh

• Thumbs Up 5

Regarding the Past Classic Sonic vs. Other Dimension Classic Sonic thing

My idea is that after C. Sonic was sent to the past at the end of Generations, it made the timeline split at that point and in that timeline after Sonic 3&K comes Sonic Mania instead of the modern games, which would explain how C. Sonic can be from both Generations and Mania

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Shadow being an ironic, affable edgelord is the best thing to happen to the character, tbh

Its not his character, its a twitter thing

And normally its just a terrible gravely vioice

17 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

I don't see the problem with Kirk. I think Shadow's current voice is hilarious.

Its not supposed to be hallrious

His voice is supposed to be good and cool, its not that. Its not even good, it just sounds like he needs like tea because he's sick

If you two don't wish to take elements of sonic seriously, that's your prerogative, you do you. But at least understand what people are criticizing and why people are calling something , you may get some joy out of it. But a quality version of the scenario is not supposed to be that 

• Fist Bump 1

8 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

If you two don't wish to take elements of sonic seriously, that's your prerogative, you do you. But at least understand what people are criticizing and why people are calling something , you may get some joy out of it. But a quality version of the scenario is not supposed to be that 

See, here's the thing. I can actually take a character like Shadow more seriously if he seems more human and relatable. One of the quickest ways to do that is to make him at least a little humorous, even if his character has serious elements to him as well.

If he's just serious and brooding and standoffish all the time, with nothing likable to counterbalance it, then I'm not going to really care about his struggles or get invested in what he's doing. (We call this trope Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy, by the way) And sure, something like an over-the-top hammy voice actor is more of an unintended way of making the character funnier, but eh, I'll take what I can get. As far as intentionally writing him to be funny, I think that both this Twitter Q&A and Sonic Boom did a good job of making Shadow somewhat likable - and for me to call Shadow likable is saying something.

I say this without a hint of irony; If Shadow was written like this in the games, I'd actually like him.

• Thumbs Up 3

13 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

See, here's the thing. I can actually take a character like Shadow more seriously if he seems more human and relatable. One of the quickest ways to do that is to make him at least a little humorous, even if his character has serious elements to him as well.

But the comics did that fine though

Like keep bringing this up, and I can point you to the comics that do the thing you ask, with out resorting to humor all the time, and sometimes manage to still be funny. I feel like your views on what makes a good character is , extremly limited. And I say this as someone talking about characters in sonic, a series with extremely limited characters already

If he's just serious and brooding and standoffish all the time, with nothing likable to counterbalance it, then I'm not going to really care about his struggles or get invested in what he's doing. And sure, something like an over-the-top hammy voice actor is more of an unintended way of making the character funnier, but eh, I'll take what I can get. As far as intentionally writing him to be funny, I think that both this Twitter Q&A and Sonic Boom did a good job of making Shadow somewhat likable - and for me to call Shadow likable is saying something.

But he does that in the comics with out being over the top, because he displays variant emotions and different things. I would rather have comic shadow, you don't need to now he's a character, he's able to communicate he cares about a bunch of different shit. Needing to shove unneeded humor to humanize a character seems to the quick way to create " good " characters that in quotation marks. These twitter situations are funny, but they are not and should not be his character. His character, is a lot more, and a lot more interesting that that. Also sonic boom shadow is literally nothing and terrible and everyone hates him, and if you like that, that's on you I guess.

Edit: I gotta add this in, boom shadow is quite literally the worst example you could have given. In these fun twitter take over things, you  got things like " hey shadow likes anime" that could be incorporated into his character. Boom shadow is literally nothing, he's not a character he's a shell that says lines. He has no motivation, he has no characterization, and he has no explanation, and he doesn't even have humor, he's just says lines.  And if you want walking mouth piece that just says edgy shit with out any context, you can go do that. But I expect more out of a series that tries to have actual writing from time to time. Just needed to get that out, boom shadow is terrible, shouldn't be used as a model for anything. I don't mean like shadow I mean anything, this could be for a character who makes jokes all the time, boom shadow is a nothing character that does nothing. He just exists. He's like a robot they turn on to make money

I don't need someone to flash " hey funny " to show that a characters human, just have him do shit and care about shit and that communicates that just fine. Not everyone needs to be funny. 

I say this without a hint of irony; If Shadow was written like this in the games, I'd actually like him.

If was written like that, I and i'm sure a lot of others would stop liking him

Feels like this is getting awful close to "I don't like this, so it's bad. You don't like that, so you're wrong."

• Thumbs Up 5