Awoo.

Sonic Forces SPOILER Thread

Ellipsis-Ultima

I don't see the inconsistency there when the context was "is Pickle still being fed," which is probably the case for Sonic here too since he's...well...alive.

• Thumbs Up 7

Never been so glad to be part of the minority since while I'd recently been a bit worried about how I'd feel for the game soon, I now find myself either liking, loving or just not minding anything or most of the stuff going on in the game.

I can finally relax and safely say that I'm going to have a blast running through this when it comes out. Time to finally pre-order. <3

• Nice Smile 2

1 minute ago, Celestia said:

I don't see the inconsistency there when the context was "is Pickle still being fed," which is probably the case for Sonic here too since he's...well...alive.

Sure, but more to the point, Eggman's lack of needless cruelty was highlighted here. It didn't have to be, but the writers brought it up anyway.

Here, Eggman's just torturing Sonic for the evulz.

am i the only one that think capturing Sonic and not killing him but torturing him is more like what Eggman would do before finishing him?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

I just love that people have been on Sega's case for a more serious game and for a Threatening Eggman for years and now that they're actually doing that it's met with a bunch of tired "So Edgy" jokes.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 2

8 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

And the reviews, don’t forget those!

I can’t wait for Somecallmejohnny’s review. He’s a great critic and big Sonic fan. I don’t think he’ll like this one very much and I’ll be shocker if he does.

Like Sonic Colours it has 2D platforming mixed with 3D. UNLIKE Sonic Colours the 2D platforming is uninspired and very boring due to the lack of Wisps and fun moments of exploration with said Wisps and the 3D segments are literally corridors with no corners in them. You cannot drift in this game and it’s pretty much ALL automated. That’s how bad the 3D is! 

Also, enemies actually posed a threat in Sonic Colours in most parts of the game while in Sonic Forces they don’t give a shit. How did Eggman rule the world with these numpties??

So, the 3D sections are just as bad as the 3D in Colors? Gotcha.

20 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

I’m pretty sure they meant torture as in psysically, just by the serious tone of Knuckles’ voice.

But that’s besides the point. Why would Dr Eggman torture Sonic, even if he let Infinite do the dirty work? It seems very OOC to me.  

Unless Eggman's under some kind of hypnosis or a different villain in disguise, it won't matter why. Eggman may be a dastardly villain, but he's a dastardly villain with a set of morals. Torturing him feels like nothing less than a bastardization of his character.

• Thumbs Up 4

I mean... being unable to run freely for months, could probably count as "torture" for Sonic.

Anyway, from what we've seen so far, I'd say there are some neat little segments here-and-there. But nothing's really getting me interested, story-wise.

Honestly, I'm starting to feel a bit less interested in the story. Maybe that'll change, though.

Any and all arguments I've made about the gameplay still stand, as far as I'm concerned. I've got nothing to add there.

Highlight for me so far is Silver fighting Infinite. Lowest point is Tails in general, and Omega being deactivated, possibly for the whole game.

Now to wait for the next inevitable leak...

1 minute ago, Super Mechanio said:

Sure, but more to the point, Eggman's lack of needless cruelty was highlighted here. It didn't have to be, but the writers brought it up anyway.

Here, Eggman's just torturing Sonic for the evulz.

Cuz he really hates that hedgehog.

The way we learn it happened is really clumsy and Sonic seems...weirdly okay (I'd actually love it if it turned out he was actually more effected than he's letting on but I'm not holding my breath for that level of depth here, lol), but I disagree that this is too far for Eggman or whatever. If he had tortured Pickle, a dude we had never seen before and Eggman didn't seem to care about either way, that would've been weird.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, SBR2 said:

I just love that people have been on Sega's case for a more serious game and for a Threatening Eggman for years and now that they're actually doing that it's met with a bunch of tired "So Edgy" jokes.

You can make Eggman threatening without making him a sociopathic sadist.

Eggman being pragmatic and only hurting people as a means to an end is one thing that made him interesting. Just making him cruel for cruelty's sake is boring tripe and totally robs him of any intrigue as a character. It's lame "evil just for the sake of being evil" writing, and Eggman should be better than that.

Don't act like this is a dichotomy. You can make Eggman "more threatening" without betraying who Eggman is.

• Thumbs Up 7

Just now, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Huh, I didn't know that's how Zavok's name was sounded.

It's not. It's supposed to rhyme with 'havoc'. It's a pun.

Why nobody corrected Roger in the sound booth is a goddamn mystery.

• Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, ShadowSJG said:

I think everyone is blowing this out of proportion. It's one line, good lord.

It's not one line. They keep saying it multiple times.

And it's not the only reason people are unimpressed with the story. We're talking about it a lot, but throughout the thread people have had plenty of other objections, such as Tails's awful characterization. Let's not oversimplify why people aren't pleased with this.

3 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

You can make Eggman threatening without making him a sociopathic sadist.

Eggman being pragmatic and only hurting people as a means to an end is one thing that made him interesting. Just making him cruel for cruelty's sake is boring tripe and totally robs him of any intrigue as a character. It's lame "evil just for the sake of being evil" writing, and Eggman should be better than that.

Don't act like this is a dichotomy. You can make Eggman "more threatening" without betraying who Eggman is.

I'll remember that when he has his next tantrum  and everyone wants him to be "Cool like he was in Forces".

7 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I was never asking for that. I have been arguing against edgy bullshit like this since long before this game was even in development.

• Thumbs Up 8

Just now, SBR2 said:

I'll remember that when he has his next tantrum  and everyone wants him to be "Cool like he was in Forces".

This doesn't sound cool.

This sounds like a boring one-dimensional SatAM Robotnik wearing Eggman's skin. I am so disappointed in this story's direction.

• Thumbs Up 4

In regards to the torture bit...

Eggman doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would do that intentionally. A lot of what makes Eggman Eggman is that much of the damage he causes is often collateral damage due to his supreme callousness and lack of care for anyone except himself. Like how he doesn't intentionally destroy the environment via polluting machinery, but rather because he's too shortsighted and wants resources for his machines ASAP, and thus doesn't care what happens afterwards. Torturing more often than not tends to be very personal and intentional, so it's really odd to hear Eggman wanting to do so unless he ends up REALLY pissed off for whatever reason, and even then he'd probably be more focused on trying to simply get rid of the problem he's pissed at immediately rather than waste his precious egomania-driven conquering time on doing deliberate painful harm to someone.

If Eggman ever tortured Sonic, it would probably almost be entirely accidental or as a side effect of something else he did, like say he put Sonic in a tiny box to keep him from escaping, and leaves him in there long enough that Sonic develops severe claustrophobia or something because Eggman forgot about him or just simply didn't care enough to check otherwise.

That being said, I'm not sure if Eggman would care if someone OTHER than him (like an underling or something) did the torturing or something, but that's another thing altogether.

So yeah.

EDIT: Am I just thinking too hard about it?

• Thumbs Up 6

11 minutes ago, nilesdobbs said:

So, the 3D sections are just as bad as the 3D in Colors? Gotcha.

I will admit, the 3D sections were definitely not as good as 2D and a far cry from Sonic Unleashed, but I still liked them! =S

5 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

I think everyone is blowing this out of proportion. It's one line, good lord.

Okay, let’s cut the torture crap then and instead discuss Tails’ further decline in characterisation. Unless we see improvements near the end of the game I’m not getting my hopes up.

4 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

I will admit, the 3D sections were definitely not as good as the 2D and a far cry from Sonic Unleashed, but I still liked them! =

Wow. Really? They were good?

Three things:
1) Tails´ progression is scrapped. I cannot believe they made him more of a coward then Tails is even in Classics. Not to mention that he was more confident in any 3D game.

2) Eggman´s character was made as shitty as it could. 

3) Gameplay is as linear as we thought.

• Thumbs Up 9