Awoo.

Sonic Forces SPOILER Thread

Ellipsis-Ultima

32 minutes ago, Infinite ∞ said:

It's not DLC. It's a free patch. That means people alresdy have it IIRC.

The patch only "added support for additional content: Transformation into Super Sonic". The "added support" part is the exact same phrasing as the stuff we know to be DLC (i.e. Episode Shadow and costumes). I'm sure someone would have shown Super Sonic off by now if the patch actually included Super Sonic, rather than just making the game compatible with DLC related to him.

It seems like Egg Gate, Nullspace and Mortar Canyon are the only times where Kishimoto and Friends™ actually show a lick of competence or dedication, as far as visuals and level design go.

I mean don't get me wrong, it's still the usual automated garbage as per expected from a team that's literally never designed levels for a Sonic game before (as recent developments have revealed), but for once, it actually looks like they tried. The level design is big and spacious with a shit-ton of alternate routes, boosting ahead looks genuinely fast and exhilarating and not just status-quo, and the visuals go without saying (if there's one thing this game nailed that future games should absolutely bring back, it's the art-style).

Or maybe Straight Line Zone (the fact that I haven't specified which level is Straight Line Zone goes to show you how abysmal this game's level design is) lowered my expectations so greatly that I'll lose my shit and gush over anything that actually has alternate pathways, even if they don't do anything besides give you some Star Coins Emblems K-O-N-G Letters Red Star Rings.

• Thumbs Up 3

I hate to admit how much I'm enjoying changing up the Avatar's outfit after every level unlocks new stuff. I feel strongly that the Avatar's role as 'partner' should still be Tails. But it's still more enjoyable than I thought it would be playing dress-up. 

36 minutes ago, caitash said:

I hate to admit how much I'm enjoying changing up the Avatar's outfit after every level unlocks new stuff. I feel strongly that the Avatar's role as 'partner' should still be Tails. But it's still more enjoyable than I thought it would be playing dress-up. 

Solution: just let us dress up Sonic and Tails. Boom already started it...

More seriously, if Sonic Team is so afraid to give Tails any physical strength, equipping him with a Wispon or other ray gun with similar mechanics would fit his character and work fine for making him playable again. Maybe they'd even be willing to try actual 3D platforming again with the right implementation of tails flight.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, rahkeesh said:

More seriously, if Sonic Team is so afraid to give Tails any physical strength, equipping him with a Wispon or other ray gun with similar mechanics would fit his character and work fine for making him playable again. Maybe they'd even be willing to try actual 3D platforming again with the right implementation of tails flight.

That'd be cool. But I suspect Sonic Team are deliberately making him less and less likeable with each passing game so they can eventually ditch him. Although maybe I am giving them too much credit in pre-planning something like that XD

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Why can't Tails use his mega buster? It'd be perfect for this game.

Samurai Tails with Lightsaber for life.

wallpaper_138_tails_10_pc.png

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

10 minutes ago, caitash said:

That'd be cool. But I suspect Sonic Team are deliberately making him less and less likeable with each passing game so they can eventually ditch him. Although maybe I am giving them too much credit in pre-planning something like that XD

I mean...there's nothing really "unlikable" about Tails in Forces, it's just annoying at worst.

They're not ditching Tails. They could've done that years ago if they wanted to, but instead he shows up in nearly every game. He's the only character outside of Sonic and Eggman that they haven't sidelined to some extent.

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Copyright issues maybe? XP

Who knows? Sega doesn't look back on where it counts.

They may not be ditching Tails, but it's clear they have no idea what to do with him. So now he's just an annoying exposition-spewing brainy sidekick, rather than an active hero who fights Eggman in his own right, like he used to be.

Mania at least brought him back to "active playable hero" status, but I wouldn't expect Sonic Team's games to do this anytime soon.

• Thumbs Up 5

12 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

They may not be ditching Tails, but it's clear they have no idea what to do with him. So now he's just an annoying exposition-spewing brainy sidekick, rather than an active hero who fights Eggman in his own right, like he used to be.

Mania at least brought him back to "active playable hero" status, but I wouldn't expect Sonic Team's games to do this anytime soon.

It's there way of another new pairing for Tails as they can't resist constantly pairing up with someone. He will proclaim he is in love with exposition, and only exposition truly understands him

And gave him a Super form to boot. Let's get that Classic Tails to the Modern Universe.

I'm watching all the cutscenes in the game (with pre-level dialogue included) and Sonic actually comments on why it doesn't make sense for Infinite to make a copy of Metal Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 5

53 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

Before: Tails was an exposition spewing brainy sidekick who was brave enough to fight.

After: Tails was an exposition spewing brainy sidekick who was too scared to fight.

It's pretty clear what matters most here.

• Chuckle 1

I am so bitterly disappointed on how Modern Sonic plays.

No drifting, no walljumping...

In the Metropolis level with Modern Sonic, there were times I fell off the road easily when I was boosting. Which would have been avoided if there was drift. In fact, in any Modern stages you can easily boost off the stage if you're not careful.

====

On the opening 5 minutes of the game, I was shocked to see a black screen with TEXT telling us what happened after Sonic got defeated. That was extremely lazy.

When I saw the trailers, I thought to myself "Wow, we are going to fight against the awesome Metal, Chaos, Shadow etc.."

Until I found out these are just illusions! You don't even fight an illusion Chaos! What's the point of Chaos' appearance? And Zavok? LAWL! You don't fight him! You fight his machine! An illusion Zavok uses a robotic machine to fight Sonic. What. 

Some cutscenes are pre-rendered, and you can tell they are pre-rendered as it looks horrible on your screen.

Worst of all the game is a nightmare to play overall. The physics in this game is so unpredictable sometimes. The 2D blocky platforming is harder then it needs to be because Sonic/Classic/Avatar are too slippy to control. That said, the Avatar is better to control then both of these Sonics. Not to mention, the Avatar stages for most part are better than any Sonic/Classic stages.

And where's Super Sonic? I've seen the patch notes. I've collected all types of rings and no dice. Is Super Sonic a DLC or something?

I had more fun with Knack 2, then Sonic Forces. I really wanted to give this game a chance. *sigh*

• Thumbs Up 6

41 minutes ago, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

I am so bitterly disappointed on how Modern Sonic plays.

No drifting, no walljumping...

In the Metropolis level with Modern Sonic, there were times I fell off the road easily when I was boosting. Which would have been avoided if there was drift. In fact, in any Modern stages you can easily boost off the stage if you're not careful.

Really? Wow, I'd have thought that one of the benefits of the aggressive automation would be fewer instances of death by boost. Guess not. 

This is gonna be a brutal next couple weeks. 

11 hours ago, Infinite ∞ said:

I still can't belive Sonic is punching Zavok so hard at the end of the boss fight. Guess those 6 months changed him.

Does anyone know how to unlock Super Sonic?

Considering Zavok was almost certainly the perpetrator of that whole "tortured for four months" thing, it makes sense.

9 hours ago, rahkeesh said:

7 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Yeah, after the cutscene before the final fights with Zeena, Zor, and Zavok, I am wondering why they didn't do that.. Especially since he's the only person who likely could've created the Wispon in the first place.

Infinite: "We move forward with the plan?"

'Eggman: "Of course! When it's complete, the resistance will be erased. The world will be nothing but ashes, from which a glorious Eggman Empire will rise!"

So eggman took over the world to destroy it and take it over again? 

Double work isn't it?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 6

1 hour ago, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

And Zavok? LAWL! You don't fight him! You fight his machine! An illusion Zavok uses a robotic machine to fight Sonic. What. 

Yeah, that is odd. Granted, it's likely a throwback to most of the Deadly Six's fights in the DS Version and it's contender for best boss in the game along with Infinite's Modern fight, but still.

8 minutes ago, Booblur99 said:

Infinite: "We move forward with the plan?"

'Eggman: "Of course! When it's complete, the resistance will be erased. The world will be nothing but ashes, from which a glorious Eggman Empire will rise!"

So eggman took over the world to destroy it and take it over again?

Yeah, that dialogue/plan doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Like, I sorta get the vibe that it's supposed to be Eggman completely unfettered now that he's on the brink of winning of good(much like the whole torture thing, even if it likely wasn't him), but the actual where this comes into play doesn't really match that line.

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

I have a question: what would've been the ideal characterizations for the extended cast?

Might have to get back to you on this. I haven't watched much of the gameplay past the Death Egg and the boss fights. That will likely factor/color into my thoughts on Espio, Amy, and maybe Shadow.

8 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Really? Wow, I'd have thought that one of the benefits of the aggressive automation would be fewer instances of death by boost. Guess not. 

This is gonna be a brutal next couple weeks. 

The game is inconsistent. You have sometimes automation, sometimes you don't.

In Metropolis, what I find out was - in areas that you feel that you must boost (those purple death egg robots running ahead of you), there's no/very little automation. You'll must likely hit the side of the wall or fall off the stage. However, if you DON'T boost you'll have your automation. 

I would have no problem with this IF Modern Sonic had drifting like he did in Unleashed & Gens. They removed that move from him. This is the worst boost game I've ever played.

• Thumbs Up 2