Awoo.

Sonic Forces SPOILER Thread

Ellipsis-Ultima

Really odd camera at 17 seconds.

Lol oh wow. At around the 1 min mark he gets a red ring. The second red ring is immediately below him and 4 steps to the right! It's not just green hill for lazy placement.

• Thumbs Up 4

The reactions here and the ones from the streamer is pretty funny.

Streamer: "this is pretty cool"

Here: "IT'S FUCKING SHIT" 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 2

18 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

You can make Eggman threatening without making him a sociopathic sadist.

Eggman being pragmatic and only hurting people as a means to an end is one thing that made him interesting. Just making him cruel for cruelty's sake is boring tripe and totally robs him of any intrigue as a character. It's lame "evil just for the sake of being evil" writing, and Eggman should be better than that.

Don't act like this is a dichotomy. You can make Eggman "more threatening" without betraying who Eggman is.

Hmm well, when Knuckles and Rouge were talking about what Eggman was doing with Sonic, Rouge said that Eggman's holding him captive because he wants Sonic to see his finished empire before he banishes him to space.

So there is an underlying reason why he's "torturing" Sonic, whatever that context may be (And with this game still being hammy and light in sections, it could very well be as simple as having Sonic wait which is bringing the death of him). And even Knuckles said that that was low for Eggman when the torture line was brought up, so at least the writers acknowledged that Eggman's taking things to the extreme. It'd be worse if the writers were completely oblivious about his character which I'm not catching so far. Stakes are being raised here after all.

Y'know even before I got to the Sonic being tortured part, I was already under the firm opinion that Sonic Team needed to get their asses into game making rehab and not come out until they know how to A) Make gameplay you can actually play and doesn't hold your ruddy hand and B ) Try not to make a more serious story be one of the single most stupid piles of forced out edginess I've seen. 

Let Taxman and the gang handle things from there.  At least we know we'll be in safe hands with them.

You want to know what my main problem with Eggman is so far? ...He's barely there.

We see him at the beginning, he defeats Sonic, and then... gone. We don't see him again until the Classic boss fight.

For a game where he's taken over, I'm not really feeling his presence much. Maybe that's just me, though.

5 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

The reactions here and the ones from the streamer is pretty funny.

Streamer: "this is pretty cool"

Here: "IT'S FUCKING SHIT" 

One thing that honestly confused me was when he said that the game looked so good, that it was hard to tell what to do or where to go. (Paraphrasing)

Like, is that good or bad? I don't get it.

• Thumbs Up 7

6 minutes ago, nilesdobbs said:

Wow. Really? They were good?

Mmmyeahhhh...like I said, I like Sonic Colours and will defend it. >> Mind you I haven’t played it in years so I’d have to go back and compare to Sonic Forces. If I even get chance to play it soon lol.

6 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Lol oh wow. At around the 1 min mark he gets a red ring. The second red ring is immediately below him and 4 steps to the right! It's not just green hill for lazy placement.

Maybe I have low standards but this was pretty great to me. Seems like Colors/Generations to me. 

Why has SEGA been so bad at marketing this?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Metallix said:

One thing that honestly confused me was when he said that the game looked so good, that it was hard to tell what to do or where to go. (Paraphrasing)

Like, is that good or bad? I don't get it.

I think he's mixing up some vocab words. He means that the visuals are detailed to the point that it's not easy to tell what's interactive or not.

Which is bad.

• Thumbs Up 7

9 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Finally, some footage that people have been talking about for 300+ posts. Thank you!

Aaaaaand it looks like shit. 2D parts look like scrapped Colors designs and the 3D is just a straight line with Boost Pads. Even Colors handled 3D better than this in some instances.

Fucking hell guys, I want to like this game, and I like everything about this game except the level design, but where they messed up, they they messed up bad.

Even the Infinite boss has better level design than the actual level before it. Why?

Anyone wouldn't happen to have footage of the Metal Sonic fight, would they? That's the boss I'm anticipating the most.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, nilesdobbs said:

Does that apply for all 3 styles?

In classic's case just sub in Mania for colors and you reach a similar problem. B is trying to be like A without understanding the design philosophy of what made A such a success in the first place, and adding in automation.

As for Avatar. It's pretty much a lesser version of the Modern Sonic gameplay, but with less polish and from what I've seen much less to explore even with the wisps.

• Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I think he's mixing up some vocab words. He means that the visuals are detailed to the point that it's not easy to tell what's interactive or not.

Which is bad.

That, I could understand. And yet, the way he was phrasing it almost made it sound like he was citing it as a full-on positive.

Or I'm misinterpreting it. I would look back, but I don't have the tab open anymore.

1 minute ago, Razule said:

Eh, looks like Reddit and Youtube thinks it's great.

Yeah but both are nothing more then wretched hives of scum and villainy. Be a true hero and hate on this childrens videogame.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Promotion 1

Just now, Night on Balding Mountain said:

Be a true hero and hate on this childrens videogame.

Discussing video games on a video game forum is fine.

Having a negative impression of the game in this discussion is also fine.

What are you getting at?

• Thumbs Up 4

Wow, I'm kinda let down.

at least expected the storyteling to be good, and even that went below my expectations.

I know that Pontaff isn't in control of things, but they just made it even harder to defend their writing. In their defense, Shun Nakamura was said to be the one writing the story...guy doesn't sound like he's improved all that much.

If I get this game, it's mainly as a critique and case study over how to make what they screwed up here work. But I'm surprised at the result here.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Night on Balding Mountain said:

Yeah but both are nothing more then wretched hives of scum and villainy. Be a true hero and hate on this childrens videogame.

That was condescending as hell. There opinions are just as valid as yours.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

2 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

Discussing video games on a video game forum is fine.

Having a negative impression of the game in this discussion is also fine.

What are you getting at?

Nothing it was a joke. In fact I wanted anyone who read that post to read it in All Might's voice

2 minutes ago, nilesdobbs said:

That was condescending as hell. There opinions are just as valid as yours.

Wow I really do need to add the /s in my post don't I?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Wow, I'm kinda let down.

at least expected the storyteling to be good, and even that went below my expectations.

I know that Pontaff isn't in control of things, but they just made it even harder to defend their writing. In their defense, Shun Nakamura was said to be the one writing the story...guy doesn't sound like he's improved all that much.

If I get this game, it's mainly as a critique and case study over how to make what they screwed up here work. But I'm surprised at the result here.

IIRC the Japanese always had control of the lore lines. All what Pontaff (And only Graff plus other people in Forces) ever did was to localize it, to translate to english.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Ah Brill some new footage of the Forest tutorial level. Cheers! 

(I kid!)

I do agree with the streamer though - It actually continues to look pretty great to me. It's actually ok if you guys don't think that though (and I am actually sorry if I still think the board goes a little nutty to microscope the game to scrutiny... it's just your passion for the hog at the end of the day so I can respect that). 

But I'm pretty comfortable I will find as much fun here as I expected. So cool - one more reason to grab a PS4 when I have the funds. =) Will just be interesting now to see how it reviews out in the world once it's properly out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

Never been so glad to be part of the minority since while I'd recently been a bit worried about how I'd feel for the game soon, I now find myself either liking, loving or just not minding anything or most of the stuff going on in the game.

I can finally relax and safely say that I'm going to have a blast running through this when it comes out. Time to finally pre-order. <3

I'm going to love this game regardless

.i may be a minority  "on ssmb" but I'm pumped to play it. Hopefully it keeps me busier than mania did

• Thumbs Up 6