Awoo.

Sonic Forces SPOILER Thread

Ellipsis-Ultima

Okay I'm completely lost about what's going on here, but I looked at the footage posted above of Mystic Jungle and Infinite's boss fight.

Why is this game more like Sonic Lost World rather than more like Sonic Generations?

Like, what the fuck. I thought this was not-Sonic Generations 2 and not not-Sonic Lost World 2.

And why hasn't SEGA fired the guy that thought that giving Modern Sonic 2D sections was a good idea yet?

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Razule said:

Eh, looks like Reddit and Youtube thinks it's great.

Reddit sonic fans are mostly casual, younger and newer fans of the series. This game was made for them. I basically ignore Reddit sonic fanbase due to the nature of it actually being really child-like. 

Plus the down vote you to no end if you criticize Mania or even more, Forces. A shill of a sub.

Anyways....

The story of Forces is what I knew would be good. The dialogue for Sonic is not only a step up for him but I actually think it's one of the best. It's not like Colors/Generations/Lost World where he's boring and overbearing or cheesy like the dream cast era. He's really funny here and has that serious tone I loved from Unleashed. I'm glad they drew the story from the Comics(which were always melodramatic and stylized)

I don't think Forces will be a bad game honestly...But it is a game where it falls in the stagnation route. Doesn't improve much of anything at all and isolates the actual fans that care about the games.

Sega is desperately trying to get the mainstream to love them at the cost of their own fanbase.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

I'm going to love this game regardless

.i may be a minority  "on ssmb" but I'm pumped to play it. Hopefully it keeps me busier than mania did

Same here same here!!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

17 minutes ago, Night on Balding Mountain said:

Be a true hero and hate on this childrens videogame.

Ah, the age old "it's just for kids". Yup, Sonic the Hedgehog is now on the same level as your average bargain bin cartoon adaptation video game.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

Based onthe footage...

It's gonna be a solid 6-8 out of 10 with most critics...

But it really shouldn't, so much of what we're seeing here just takes the control away from the player and makes the game a "watch me whilst I do something cool" instead of "Here's the tools, here's the environment can YOU do something cool?"

• Thumbs Up 7

God I'm so mad you can't actually playthrough the Star Wars scene, or the monster snake scene. Why just limit this to a shit QTE scene?

1 minute ago, Razule said:

Ah, the age old "it's just for kids". Yup, Sonic the Hedgehog is now on the same level as your average bargain bin cartoon adaptation video game.

I really thought thought my post came off as sarcastic too.

• Thumbs Up 3

32 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Really odd camera at 17 seconds.

Lol oh wow. At around the 1 min mark he gets a red ring. The second red ring is immediately below him and 4 steps to the right! It's not just green hill for lazy placement.

Okay this has the worst 3D level design, especially what seem like a later level. Like WHY have no edges to that kinda tube section if you're going to save the player with shit ton of boost pads. Might as well make it fully automatic instead of giving the player a false sense of control.

I truly believe if they had kept the drift from generations and unleashed, the level design woulda been way better instead of relying on the game keeping sonic in the middle or making the weird turns for you. The team completely dumb down the gameplay and it shows.

• Thumbs Up 3

13 minutes ago, Korke said:

IIRC the Japanese always had control of the lore lines. All what Pontaff (And only Graff plus other people in Forces) ever did was to localize it, to translate to english.

I know, but they've been made the face for the writing in the games since Colors, whether that was intended or not from Sonic Team.

This trend of haphazard storytelling almost starting with Generations is just going to sour things even more and give their haters more ammo for this, especially those that were looking forward to a darker and edgier take without sinking to lows that ShTH did.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, Saber Wisp said:

And why hasn't SEGA fired the guy that thought that giving Modern Sonic 2D sections was a good idea yet?

The people who still think this is a bad idea are the most confusing...

Look Sega, we're gonna have to have words about Tails. 

I hope at least that Colleen is doing her best with the lines she's given :/

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

The people who still think this is a bad idea are the most confusing...

Oh come on, you can't tell me Modern's 2D sections aren't EXTREMELY redundant with Classic and the Avatar already being here.

And they're sluggish as fuck. Have been in Unleashed, have been in Colours, have been in Generations and definitely are here in Forces.

• Thumbs Up 6

4 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I feel like this game is less "for" kids/casuals/whatever and more "designed to exploit" them. Look flashy, make them feel like they're doing cool things, add in a bunch of characters and cutscene drama, and they won't realize how little the game actually offers until it's too late. Style over substance, even more than usual.

This has been Sonic for the past 10 years or so.

• Thumbs Up 4

6 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I know, but they've been made the face for the writing in the games since Colors, whether that was intended or not from Sonic Team.

This trend of haphazard storytelling almost starting with Generations is just going to sour things even more and give their haters more ammo for this, especially those that were looking forward to a darker and edgier take without sinking to lows that ShTH did.

What don't you like about this game?

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

I feel like this game is less "for" kids/casuals/whatever and more "designed to exploit" them. Look flashy, make them feel like they're doing cool things, add in a bunch of characters and cutscene drama, and they won't realize how little the game actually offers until it's too late. Style over substance, even more than usual.

Might as well be the tagline for the game:

"SONIC FORCES - All Style, No Substance!"

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 4

19 minutes ago, Saber Wisp said:

Why is this game more like Sonic Lost World rather than more like Sonic Generations?

Like, what the fuck. I thought this was not-Sonic Generations 2 and not not-Sonic Lost World 2.

I'd be fine with the game taking elements from Lost World...

If it weren't for the fact that it isn't a result of the team realizing Lost World has some decent ideas that can be applied to future games.

It's a result of Kishimoto having a boner for his own games and being lost in his little dream-world where all of his games are masterpieces.

Just now, Captain Metallix said:

Might as well be the tagline for the game:

"SONIC FORCES - All Style, No Substance!"

"...and the style's not much to write home about either."

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 4

4 minutes ago, Saber Wisp said:

Oh come on, you can't tell me Modern's 2D sections aren't EXTREMELY redundant with Classic and the Avatar already being here.

And they're sluggish as fuck. Have been in Unleashed, have been in Colours, have been in Generations and definitely are here in Forces.

Oh that's just another reason Chibi Sonic shouldn't be in the game...but the 2D sections being slow and uninteresting is just bad level design. Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure both handle this just fine, Sonic Team just can't do justice right.

Of all days for me to have such a slow work load at the shop... I'm so thankful I'm able to witness this all unfold.

Thanks for the good times, y'all. The catharsis of vindication outweighs the depression of seeing my childhood icon flail in the third dimension yet again.

• Thumbs Up 1