Awoo.

Sonic Forces SPOILER Thread

Ellipsis-Ultima

7 minutes ago, Limit Breaker Diamond said:

Is there a game in the series even close to 70 stages?!

Like mania, sonic forces would be the longest sonic 3d ;)

9 minutes ago, Limit Breaker Diamond said:

Is there a game in the series even close to 70 stages?!

If we count stage reuses for hard-modes/missions, yeah. Which Forces is going to be doing. SOS missions are labled under a specific stage number, but they're still the same level design as the already-completed levels for the zone, only with a capsule to find and rescue.

Dunno what the EX stages are, but they're probably something similar. It's the "special" stages that seem to sport new layouts altogether, though that's probably in the same way Shadow's GHZ stage remixes the Avatar's GHZ.

70 stages sounds fun, but with all these factors I've gotten a bit more wary of what it actually means. If there are a lot of these missions, and they're all part of the "numbered" stages that are being counted on the world map, that might mean even less fully new levels than what Colors offered. I hope that either there's only a small amount of these missions, or there's more than 100 stages to compensate for it, honestly...

• Thumbs Up 4

From what I've seen so far, the story actually looks more promising than I thought it would.

Level design is still awful and I won't defend it, but it's nice to finally see another Sonic game with a story that's actually worth caring about after nearly a decade.

• Thumbs Up 2

50 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I swear to god if Seaside Hill comes back...

Why not bring one of the best levels in generations back? 

I've got a bit trouble to believe that we have 70 stages, where does this info come x) ?

My main reason to not believe it is that the counter seems to make jump of ~14% when we clear all levels of an area, that would mean something like 7 environnement. As we have some kind of SA2-like progression, we revisit often area, so I think the counter will make more often those jump in the end of the game. My second reason is that a big part of the content of the story seems to be done in stage 20, as we have what is the Phantom Ruby, we've got back Shadow, etc. (or maybe we have a more "mission-like") So it seems a bit difficult to believe in me. I would be really happy to believe it, though, it would compensate a bit how they are small.

I don't say that anybody is a liar though, I just formulate what seems a bit strange to me xD

47 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

If we count stage reuses for hard-modes/missions, yeah. Which Forces is going to be doing. SOS missions are labled under a specific stage number, but they're still the same level design as the already-completed levels for the zone, only with a capsule to find and rescue.

Dunno what the EX stages are, but they're probably something similar. It's the "special" stages that seem to sport new layouts altogether, though that's probably in the same way Shadow's GHZ stage remixes the Avatar's GHZ.

70 stages sounds fun, but with all these factors I've gotten a bit more wary of what it actually means. If there are a lot of these missions, and they're all part of the "numbered" stages that are being counted on the world map, that might mean even less fully new levels than what Colors offered. I hope that either there's only a small amount of these missions, or there's more than 100 stages to compensate for it, honestly...

The SOS mission's stage number is actually the same as the base stage; I just double-checked to be sure. Using this video as the reference:

Luminous Forest is first entered at 1:00:38, and the stage number is 8. It's entered again for the SOS mission at around 1:21:52, and the stage number is still 8. This makes sense because you're still visiting the same stage, but with an optional objective tacked on.

Has there been any footage of the "special" stages with new layouts? I don't think I caught anything like that yet.

Wonder how far he’ll make it this time before Aaron steps in to stop him again. I’ll certainly be watching it! 

After mulling over it last night, I think Sonic Forces will end up being just an average Sonic game. That’s not an accomplishment mind you but it’s still not “as bad as Sonic 06.” There’s things I like about this game like Infinite (who knew?!), some of the dialogue, story and music while other parts like gameplay and certain plot points seem really mediocre. 

Again, I have to commend Sonic Team for really trying this time around to come up with a halfway decent serious story for a Sonic game. It’s a little rough but there’s still things I like about it! So uh..well done Sonic Team. 

Wish you could do something about the gameplay too...

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, A Zombie KING and 14 other said:

I don't think you understand why Seaside Hill was loved in Generations, nor do you understand why it's also hated.

We loved it because of it's level design, which, we have very good reasons to believe, is not going to be present in any form in Forces. We hated it because of it's presence as another checkered tropical level, which we already have Green Hill for. It's also, you know, another rehashed level which the lot of us are sick and tired of by this point, and it's not even a level we haven't seen remastered yet.

It's only going to be here on a negative pretense, and I'm not sure I understand how you, as a fellow member of the Sonic community, haven't worked that out by now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, Seaside Hill clashed with both Green Hill and Sky Sanctuary for being that nice combination of both a first-stage tropical level and a temple level. That being said, though, it being various degrees of water stage (as well as containing the cart run and cannons) certainly helped it stand out. In that case it was annoying only because well-designed water stages are innately annoying, lol. It's the tropical stage equivalent of Crisis City, in that it might be a trope that's all over other levels in the game but's also got an elemental twist that makes it seriously look and act different.

Gotta be honest, I'm actually liking Tails' characterisation in the game. Most people's issue comes from the start of the game, but since I can totally work with that, the rest of his characterisation reminds me more of Unleashed and Generations, and it's sweet. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Gotta be honest, I'm actually liking Tails' characterisation in the game. Most people's issue comes from the start of the game, but since I can totally work with that, the rest of his characterisation reminds me more of Unleashed and Generations, and it's sweet. 

So does the story and writing get better later on in the game?

15 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I don't think you understand why Seaside Hill was loved in Generations, nor do you understand why it's also hated.

We loved it because of it's level design, which, we have very good reasons to believe, is not going to be present in any form in Forces. We hated it because of it's presence as another checkered tropical level, which we already have Green Hill for. It's also, you know, another rehashed level which the lot of us are sick and tired of by this point, and it's not even a level we haven't seen remastered yet.

It's only going to be here on a negative pretense, and I'm not sure I understand how you, as a fellow member of the Sonic community, haven't worked that out by now.

He acknowledged and similarly complained about that point in a previous post, and even putting that aside it seemed like a sincere question? I genuinely don't understand why you're talking down like this.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, A Zombie KING and 14 other said:

It's been used in everything over the past few years, possibly only being overthrown by GHZ only recently. Even if it's visually got its differences, I'm just tired of the same old levels being rehashed. At least use some other interesting level like frog forest or something.

15 minutes ago, Celestia said:

He acknowledged and similarly complained about that point in a previous post, and even putting that aside it seemed like a sincere question? I genuinely don't understand why you're talking down like this.

Because I'm a big jerk.

10 minutes ago, Yuluga said:

that rare that the spoilers stopped ... to see that such throughout the day

The guy will livestream again in around 2 hours IIRC.

13 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Technically it did already with Metropolis. 

I thought people were saying here it wasn't the Heroes one, plus they're still potentially using SH so...(like at least just make it ocean palace exclusively, is that hard?)

8 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I thought people were saying here it wasn't the Heroes one, plus they're still potentially using SH so...(like at least just make it ocean palace exclusively, is that hard?)

When I read Metropolis was in, I thought it'd be the one from Sonic 2. Another rehash but hey, a famous level, yaknow? One that hadn't been remastered yet.

But hey it's actually a brand new zone altogether...with the same name. That's a little confusing. Ah well. New zones are always welcome!

17 minutes ago, Yuluga said:

that rare that the spoilers stopped ... to see that such throughout the day

Oh mores coming today really soon!

iizuka2.thumb.png.aa6fc89bbb8ed44392fa068dbb7219a3.png

So.

This image has been doing the rounds.

And if it's true... my God. I know some people that are going to be PISSED.

They had the BALLS to not only kill off Classic, but have the game unsubtly cram it down your throat that Modern is THE REAL SONIC.

This entire thing is Iizuka's devious wet dream.

2 hours ago, KHCast said:

- the game contains 70 stages against 36 for unleashed

But, in Unleashed the Werehog stages sometimes took exhaustingly long to finish. I dare to doubt there aren't many (if any) super long stages in Forces. Still. I'm curious to see the rest of the game and what is to come after the first half.