Awoo.

Sonic Forces SPOILER Thread

Ellipsis-Ultima

5 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

So, does this mean everyone wants to go back to pontaff writing?

Oh hell no

Honestly? I.. I don't know. I don't want to go Classics level yet, but man every attempt at meatier stories in this franchise sucks. Maybe something with the spirit of the classics, but.. more? I dunno.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Oh HELL no. Issues or not, I'll still take what we got over anything in Pontaff's style.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, RLS Legacy said:

But... this game was written by Pontaff.

LW and Colors proved they couldn't write lighthearted stuff.

Forces has proven they can't write serious stuff.

They literally can't do either. Fire them.

One alone is enough trouble, but BOTH?! 

They both need to depart. Bubsy or Crash Bandicoot might be open for them. Oh, and can we get rid of that irresponsible Japanese writer too?

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, RLS Legacy said:

No it wasn't. It was brought up SEVERAL times that they only handled translating this time while the writing was all in Japan.

Just now, NastCF said:

Didn't Nakamura write it? I think Pontaff only worked on the localization.

In theory, but all the jokes about body odour and lines like 'true dat' are 100% Pontaff and they need to be gone. Fast.

Their tendrils are all over it.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Razule said:

Oh hell no

Honestly? I.. I don't know. I don't want to go Classics level yet, but man every attempt at meatier stories in this franchise sucks. Maybe something with the spirit of the classics, but.. more? I dunno.

I think they definitely need to go for more simple, mechanics driven story telling like the Classics, but that doesn't mean abandoning more modern characters or story conventions. 

The scenario for this game was fine, for instance. They just quickly smothered it with too much BS

1 minute ago, RLS Legacy said:

LW and Colors proved they couldn't write lighthearted stuff.

Forces has proven they can't write serious stuff.

They literally can't do either. Fire them.

This game was game was written by Shun Nakamura. Warren Graff (and him alone) just localized it, but considering he's not credited as writer as heavily I think the blame goes to good ol' Sonic Team this time.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Razule said:

This game was game was written by Shun Nakamura. Warren Graff (and him alone) just localized it, but considering he's not credited as writer as heavily I think the blame goes to good ol' Sonic Team this time.

Actually Pontac's name is in the credits. Saw it on the livestream.

9 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

I mean, I-yea-no...? Uhh

A356jiI.gif

I feel like both are the wrong answer

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 3

1 minute ago, RLS Legacy said:

Actually Pontac's name is in the credits. Saw it on the livestream.

Oh.. weird he didn't say anything.

Just now, Razule said:

Oh.. weird he didn't say anything.

Presumably he's gotten sick of the abuse he gets hurled his way whenever he announces his involvement with anything Sonic-related.

• Thumbs Up 6

if pontaff handled Sonic's dialogue, thats more then enough jsutification for them to keep sticking around in my book.

• Thumbs Up 4

And this game's godawful interpretation of Tails is pretty clearly their work too.

I just... I want them gone. They don't understand the series - by their own admission - and despite a few witty one-liners here and there their narrative work has been largely shite.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, RLS Legacy said:

In theory, but all the jokes about body odour and lines like 'true dat' are 100% Pontaff and they need to be gone. Fast.

Their tendrils are all over it.

There are worse offenses in the script. Like Tails' continuous character murder, getting worse every game. I guess the Japanese just hates him or something. Graff is not to be blamed here.

SLW Tails was a cunt, but he got things done when needed.

• Thumbs Up 4

I mean, I'd take pretty much anyone over the guy who wrote Sonic 06 and this trash fire, but Pontac and Graff would be significant step up yes. 

Nakamura needs to be gone along with Pontaff. After all, this is the same guy that had a final fantasy reject make out with Sonics corpse.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, RLS Legacy said:

And this game's godawful interpretation of Tails is pretty clearly their work too.

I just... I want them gone. They don't understand the series - by their own admission - and despite a few witty one-liners here and there their narrative work has been largely shite.

they arent the scenario writers they (as in just graff) just localzied the dialogue, they're not the ones that made Tails into a emotional wreck

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Soniman said:

they arent the scenario writers they (as in just graff) just localzied the dialogue, they're not the ones that made Tails into a emotional wreck

My point stands, their performance across the series has been poor.

The BO jokes and shitty Tails characterisations are 100% their fault, anyway. And Pontac was involved, his name is listed in the credits under 'written by'. He just hasn't commented for whatever reason.

I won't comment on Forces' story until I've seen it (I've glanced through the thread, I know some details but not the overall picture), but I believe it was thought Nakamura was writing with Pontac localizing with some script doctoring from Ian (that was the theory anyway).

If enough fans don't like either (I enjoyed most of 06's story, but I realize it wasn't exactly popular so Nakamura would be 0 for 2 in popular opinion) then that just means getting someone else to write the scenario for the next game. Whether that be Nishiyama, Maekawa (my preference), Yoshimura, Flynn, or someone totally new. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Man 2017's been a rough time for Major japanese developer games having the word Infinite associated with them.

• Chuckle 1

23 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Yes, please. They are the better evil.