Awoo.

Sonic Forces SPOILER Thread

Ellipsis-Ultima

2 hours ago, AuroraRedwinters said:

So using the intro scene as a reference (and borrowing a lot of what happens during it into this), I tried to rewrite it to at least not make Tails a whiny helpless victim and flesh out the character with just a few changes:

Hide contents

Town of Apotos, but it is currently in bad shape due to EGGMAN's attack. TAILS is standing in front of a small group of petrified villagers, scared, but putting on a brave face as he takes a stance that he's ready to fight as several of EGGMAN's mechs advance closer. EGGMAN looks down from above in his EGG-O-MATIC, with a sinister grin.

EGGMAN
Citizens of Apotos! Surrender yourselves to the Eggman Empire, and I promise your robotization into my loyal badnik servants will be quick and painless! Oh ho ho ho ho!

TAILS
We're never going to surrender to the likes of you, Eggman!

EGGMAN
Brave words coming from you, Tails! But you alone can't stop me!

The mechs form a semi-circle around the group with blasters pointed. TAILS begins twirling his tails and begins to lift off the ground, when suddenly a blue blur smashes into a trio of mechs.

TAILS
(relieved) Sonic!

SONIC continues to destroy the mechs until they are all defeated. Shot of EGGMAN during this as he grins menacingly. SONIC lands next to TAILS and the villagers, who are cheering.

SONIC
Is everyone alright?

TAILS winks at SONIC.

TAILS
We are, thanks to you. Cutting it kind of close, though, pal.

SONIC winks back.

SONIC
Yeah, that's pretty much how I roll. Go get the villagers to safety while I take care of some unfinished business.

SONIC turns towards EGGMAN.

SONIC
Okay, let's finish this, Eggman!

EGGMAN
It will be your finish, Sonic. Behold the power of my ultimate masterpiece!

SONIC shrugs, then rushes towards EGGMAN. As he leaps up to attack, he gets thwarted by a black blur. Both land on the ground facing each other.

SONIC
Shadow! It's you? What the heck are you doing?

SHADOW stands up, arms crossed and looking solemn. But he has a weird distortion to him. ZAVOK jumps down and lands next to SHADOW, with the same distortion effect.

SONIC
Zavok?!

METAL SONIC lands on the opposite side of SHADOW, again with same distortion effect.

SONIC
Metal?!

CHAOS lands next to METAL SONIC, also with the same distortion effect.

SONIC
Chaos!!

INFINITE lands in-between SONIC and the rest of the group, although the viewers don't know it is him yet. SONIC rubs his nose, smugly, then dashes towards INFINITE and the others, only to miss.

SONIC
Huh?

TAILS is looking back as the last of the villagers escapes.

TAILS
Whoa! That guy was able to dodge Sonic like it was nothing!

SONIC dodges a blast from INFINITE, then leaps up to attack, but misses. INFINITE unleashes a shield that SONIC bounces off of, then roundhouse kicks him into a building.

TAILS
No, wait! There's something else going on! I have to figure this out!

INFINITE blasts at SONIC, but he quickly dodges. SONIC blocks ZOVAK's punch, then knocks him back and leaps up again to take aim at INFINITE. However, SONIC gets blocked by METAL SONIC. SONIC jumps up at INFINITE again, but he simply moves aside. SONIC lands and is instantly confronted by CHAOS. SONIC and CHAOS are now locked together, hand-in-hand. SONIC looks back up at INFINITE.

SONIC
What are you? How are you doing--

INFINITE interrupts SONIC as he zooms in and kicks SONIC aside. SONIC tumbles to the ground several feet away. EGGMAN makes a fist, satisfied.

EGGMAN
Nice!

SONIC
Tails! I need to know what's going on with this guy!

TAILS has his tablet out, punching away at it furiously but looking confused.

TAILS
I'm trying, Sonic but these readings are all messed up! They don't make any sense!

SONIC charges at INFINITE again, but he kicks him into another building. Before SONIC can react, INFINITE is upon him and kicks SONIC up into the air. From there, CHAOS, ZOVAK, METAL SONIC and SHADOW each take turns kicking SONIC around like a ball.

SONIC
Running out of time here, Tails!

TAILS looks up from his tablet and sees that SONIC is losing, badly.

TAILS
Sonic!

TAILS takes flight to try and help SONIC, but INFINITE swiftly kicks SONIC into TAILS. Both go crashing back to the earth.

SONIC
(weakly) Tails... get out of here... now.

TAILS
But, Sonic... let me stay here and help you!

SONIC
(more forceful) Do it!

TAILS looks conflicted, but nods his head and takes off in the direction of the villagers. SONIC stands up and looks back to make sure TAILS gets away safely, before turning back in the direction of the group.

SONIC
I don't know who or what you are, pal, but you're going...

INFINITE comes into view and cuts SONIC off with a series of attacks that has SONIC reeling. SONIC hits the ground one last time, struggling to stand back up, before collapsing. Quick cut to EGGMAN taking in the defeat of SONIC.

EGGMAN
Yes... yes! Finally!

The last thing SONIC sees before he faints is INFINITE landing on the ground in front of him.

Quick rush job and not perfect by any means, but good gravy. It wasn't that hard to not make someone like Tails seem at least somewhat component when faced with danger.

Apotos, eh?

And yes, that line about Infinite dodging Sonic would've been more appropriate in the game proper.

Just now, ShadowSJG said:

What are thoughts on Infinite overall?

He is cool. One of the better monster of the week type of villains. Though I really wished he had a better boss fight at the end

Just now, ShadowSJG said:

Cool voice. Generic villain personality. Odd design. Too many poorly explained powers. Overall not that great a character and underwhelming.

• Thumbs Up 5

I disagree with much criticism here as I don't think this game has killed Sonic or something like that but I'm annoyed that Sonic Team marketed stuff and didn't do it.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Really badly written, generic, boring, "ow the edge". He's really a shallow character, if he even reaches that level.

• Thumbs Up 6

I can't remember a single game villain who was actually good other than Eggman. Even then, Eggman Nega is Eggman, and he sucks.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just saw ending and other screenshots from other website and this thread.

and......... .oh god..

Sonic Team, Did you really developed this game over 4 years?.....

My last hope is broken.....

24 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

To repeat myself, he's cool and awesome on the surface level, but lame and had his potential wasted once you try to dive into him as a character. Cool voice, awesome looks, cool powers, wasted personality, wasted backstory. Maybe the DLC will fix that....but it won't fix his underwhelming impact.

• Thumbs Up 1

Infinite is salvaged, like many of the characters, by Pontaff and his voice actor. The two managed to turn shit into bronze, and we should all be thankful. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

1 minute ago, Shaddy the guy said:

I can't remember a single game villain who was actually good other than Eggman. Even then, Eggman Nega is Eggman, and he sucks.

Does Shadow count? I personally think he counts as a villain in SA2. Though if ya didn't like him there then yeah there's only Eggman. I thought Metal Sonic was decent in heroes...not really amazing in anyway. Interesting plan...but kinda just ok.

Spoiler

I kinda gathered watching the cutscenes that Infinite was just a more advanced Phantom Ruby prototype (unlike all the others which could only hold DNA of the one that first touched it). So really he never existed before Eggman made him. Kinda like the Biolizard and Shadow, an experimental life form, except he was a tangible illusion.

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

Oh about Eggman. I'm not sure if it's because Lost World and Boom cartoon are full of Eggman content, but it feels like this game has a stunning lack of Eggman, especially for its premise.

He's taken over Sonic's world,  but we don't even really get to see him revel in it. He doesn't even talk during or after the boss battle, as a character he checks out of the game in the cutscene before, so we might as well be fighting a generic monster.. This may be the driest Eggman has been in a long time.

This was supposed to be his moment, guys.. 

That's more or less what he did in Sonic Unleashed after making Eggman Land.

Personally I say he's an improvement. He keeps final boss status and isn't tossed aside for the monster of the week. More importantly he's not just some loser who you can never buy into to be able accomplish anything. With a mix of him basically saying he sucks, his minions saying he sucks, and the heroes calling him out for incompetence. But here he finally wins essentially in a massive way. It's just a shame bad villain bull crap from Infinite basically prevents him from finishing off Sonic, rather than just having him be saved by someone else and taken away. Maybe Shadow chaos controls him away before Infinite kills him, so Infinite doesn't come off as a bone head generic villain.

1 minute ago, SuperAj3 said:
  Hide contents

I kinda gathered watching the cutscenes that Infinite was just a more advanced Phantom Ruby prototype (unlike all the others which could only hold DNA of the one that first touched it). So really he never existed before Eggman made him. Kinda like the Biolizard and Shadow, an experimental life form, except he was a tangible illusion.

Speaking of comparisons to the Biolizard, just compare how that was handled compared to Infinite. In SA2, we see that the Biolizard was made in a tube and malformed and probably just wants to fucking die. Infinite meanwhile gets Amy saying "how sad!" in reaction to where he was made, which incidentally gets lost in a flurry of boost hallways.

3 minutes ago, SuperAj3 said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, but the weird thing is, Iizuka said he was once a normal animal like Sonic. So unless he lied.. what happened

1 minute ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Speaking of comparisons to the Biolizard, just compare how that was handled compared to Infinite. In SA2, we see that the Biolizard was made in a tube and malformed and probably just wants to fucking die. Infinite meanwhile gets Amy saying "how sad!" in reaction to where he was made, which incidentally gets lost in a flurry of boost hallways.

Well.. he was born in this pain. It would only have hurt if he let it.

• Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

He's every lazy Shounen villian ever concieved. He's nothing that turns out to literally be fucking nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3

Didn't they say Infinite was once normal? Why do they lie so much?

Second, without Maria, what are other realistic ways Shadow could join Eggman.

7 minutes ago, Razule said:

Well.. he was born in this pain. It would only have hurt if he let it.

Yeah, good poi- fuck you, Sonic Team. 

• Chuckle 3

4 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

A dumb hater. You have to lick Sonic's taint and be holier than thou until the game comes out....then disappear into the background if the reception doesn't match the good things said....ala what happened with Rise of Lyric note for note.

4 hours ago, Sonikko said:

I mean it's not like me and other 10 guys have been saying that the game looks like shit for months, giving actual reasoning to our arguments, while all the defenses were just smokes and mirrors.

I wonder if I'm just a dumb hater or someone who's capable of looking at something with a critical eye

3 hours ago, Sonikko said:

Serious talk, I've seen almost the whole game and if this gets better than even mediocre reception I'll call myself out in regards to modern Sonic, cause I just can't accept what I see here.

Sonic Forces is a game made of fillers, reused level design, and crappy design choices.

This game doesn't play like a Sonic game, some of the stages are so automatic that you might aswell drop the controller altogether.

Have fun with it, knowing that SEGA has your money. Money they don't deserve for a product they practically shat out without any care, love or passion poured into it.

Good job, you're paying for Sonic's grave.

Also, Sonic was TORTURED for months? What in the actual fuck?

Obviously, these posts I'm quoting are rather old - with how fast this topic moves, sometimes it's all too easy to end up not responding to things right away, unfortunately. However, they're good examples of containing demeaning and disrespectful attitudes to those who "dare" to look forward to Sonic Forces. Seriously, you don't need to do this. It's no skin off your back if they're excited for a video game you're not excited for. Even if your reasons for not being excited are perfectly valid, that doesn't me you say that others are "licking Sonic's taint" and "paying for his grave" and other stupid mockery like that simply because they disagree. As a result, the members in question are receiving strikes.

Refer to this for more details and reminders:

• Thumbs Up 5

58 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

He's a boring non-character who ended up just being a construct of the Phantom Ruby in the end. Even if he was "real," he'd still be an unlikable generic villain - right up there with Black Doom or Mephiles.

Of course, it's not like Eggman was much better in this game. He barely appeared, and when he did, it was usually to spout stock lines about how evil and powerful he was, or how he'd kill everyone, or other expository dialogue with virtually none of the affable charm and likability that Eggman is usually known for. We didn't even get to see him conquer the world or get a look at what life under his rule was like; It's all off-screen or described in text blurbs. And during the final boss? He's totally silent as he pilots his giant mechanical reskin of Lyric, and then he doesn't even appear afterward. So he's a step up from Infinite in this game, but not by much.

Simply being the final boss isn't exciting if his character is mishandled or squandered in nearly every other way. Eggman may be my favorite character, but he didn't do much for me in this game. Nobody did. This is, by far, the most soulless I've ever seen the Sonic characters.

Eggman (and the other characters, mind you) had far more personality in Mania, and that's a game without a word of dialogue.

• Thumbs Up 5

10 minutes ago, Razule said:

Oh about Eggman. I'm not sure if it's because Lost World and Boom cartoon are full of Eggman content, but it feels like this game has a stunning lack of Eggman, especially for its premise.

He's taken over Sonic's world,  but we don't even really get to see him revel in it. He doesn't even talk during or after the boss battle, as a character he checks out of the game in the cutscene before, so we might as well be fighting a generic monster.. This may be the driest Eggman has been in a long time.

This was supposed to be his moment, guys.. 

Yyyyup. And honestly, I don't even know why they bothered with the whole "Eggman's taken over the world" thing when it barely makes any difference. The biggest effect it has is justifying the resistance, which then justifies the Avatar joining up. That aside, you could cut it and the six month time skip and no one could tell the difference. It's not really reflected in the levels, it's hardly reflected in the story, and the man himself hardly feels like he's even involved compared to the focus on how "mysterious" Infinite is (which, again, is basically a complete dead end anyway).

• Thumbs Up 7