Awoo.

Sonic Forces SPOILER Thread

Ellipsis-Ultima

3 minutes ago, Celestia said:

This will be funny when reviewers and fans outside of this site have a lot of, if not all, the same complaints.

What can I say? Some people on this site are overly critical. They look at a game they already dislike with the expectations of GOTY.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, In All The World said:

What can I say? Some people on this site are overly critical. They look at a game they already dislike with the expectations of GOTY.

Nope. The amount of reused assets, bosses and level design is visible to the naked eye. Only people playing the game blind (without playing Colours and/or Lost World) may really enjoy this game and praise it as the best. Otherwise everyone would say the game is in range of almost shit - a bit above average.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Ultimately my view on the game is that it won't be Lost World bad, but it will be disappointingly not the Generations sequel in terms of gameplay some of us thought it would be and that it looks like it will be ranked lower than Colors though technically by Metacritic scores Colors is ahead of Generations only slightly but you all know what I mean when the general consensus is that Generations was a improvement over Colors (and I myself enjoyed Colors). I don't wish for Forces to have bad scores, but would want for it to be close too it's two predecessors while being lower scored overall on Metacritic to at least show Sonic Team they need to take a look at what they did wrong here in comparison.

I'm little disappointed with the story too, but I'm glad it's actually still a story I for once in a Sonic game enjoyed again even if it didn't live up to its potential of what could have been. Infinite having illusions of past antagonists was fine for me but it would have been certainly good for the villain team to still have even the real characters for the story because as it is illusion Zavok is the only one that had dialogue, obviously Chaos wouldn't be able to speak but the characters should have been asking him questions like why are you doing this Chaos? Didn't you finally feel at peace? And then of course Metal Sonic too, but they could have done a Metal Sonic talking again and have taken his character from Heroes and then the worst offender Shadow here who may as well just simply be Shadow android given that he has no dialogue what so ever when there should be no excuse for it because if they were able to do the same for illusion Zavok why not him? It's sad when there's tension between illusion Zavok and Sonic, but none with illusion Shadow because he doesn't say nothing in even bothering to reply to Sonic's questions. I mean you would think that Infinite would use his fake Shadow as a means to mess around with Sonic and co in getting into their heads at seeing a friend/ally turned evil again. Infinite has been continuously doing that throughout the course of the game in trying to make the Resistance suffer.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Here's another one: Why should I ever want to play this mess of a game?

So that you can tell everyone about it

i46zkx9.png

• Chuckle 1

Okay I know I'm beating a dead horse but I still can't believe such laziness. This is how you treat your new big bad? This?!

• Chuckle 2

Just now, superman43 said:

Nope. The amount of reused assets, bosses and level design is visible to the naked eye. Only people playing the game blind (without playing Colours and/or Lost World) may really enjoy this game and praise it as the best. Otherwise everyone would say the game is in range of almost shit - a bit above average.

The "reused assets" are mostly blatant in Green Hill and the final boss, where they are terribly used for reasons already established. Other than that they're actually put to good use when reused.

The bosses aren't really all that bad. Granted I haven't seen if there's one for Chaos and Shadow (I've heard otherwise), but the only one that I was disappointed with was Metal Sonic. The Infinite boss battles were interesting, even despite being chase bosses twice, and the Zavok one is a vast improvement from Lost World, with attack variety and not being a pushover. The Egg Dragoon was nothing bad, just average.

What makes the level design terrible to you? I want to see what exactly people complain about it for. 

No one's praising this as "the best". Even newbies. It's far from it, but it's definitely a good game. 

1 minute ago, Tarnish said:

I can't speak for anybody else than myself, but I am not looking at a Sonic game with the expectations of GOTY, I'm looking at it with expectations set by previous games in the franchise.

Good on you then, but for me this game meets those standards. 

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

Look, this isn't reddit, or the Sega forums, just saying "Well I think it's great, it's only got 3 bad levels" really doesn't cut it even if the majority consensus agrees with you. Unless you're going to bother to explain why specifically you think it's good, nobody here is going to take your stance seriously, if anything your argument comes across as being a lot weaker and juvenile especially when you just dismiss the critics of the game because they're from a specific site. You only joined the forums 3 hours ago and I'm willing to put money down on the fact it's because the site has an active spoiler discussion going on, yet we've had the 'lol this site, lol the people on this site' which to me says that youve not bothered to even read the criticisms but jumped at the bite sized conclusions from activists at other places.

Here is my argument as to why I don't think the game is good. I've yet to see anyone who thinks the game is great even try to write anything close to that as to why it's good.

If you really do think the game is great, fair enough, but unless you're actually going to explain why you think it's great and give us something quantifiable to discuss, nobody is going to take you seriously even if you end up being completely right.

Oh, you wrote that one? Cool, but as of now I can't say anything on gameplay controls since I don't have the game. I'd have to ask the streamer or something.

So be it. I'll give you all a little essay or something, lol. Not to mention, I find it ironic that you say that to me when most of the people who don't like it rarely ever explain either. 

Don't think I praise this game as godly, either. Again, it's far from it, too many flaws to count...

• Thumbs Up 1

Not having played more than the Japanese demo, I can’t say this for sure, but I think Forces looks like a much worse game than Lost World.

Full disclosure, I’m kind of a fan of SLW despite its many flaws. I think it’s the closest ST has ever come to getting the feeling of momentum right in a 3D Sonic game. Plus, even it’s wonky level design made it feel like a game I was actually *playing* rather than watching.

This looks like lots of empty Boost hallways and grinding segments. Really disappointing. I was hoping being on next-gen consoles that we’d get more stages like Seaside Hill. Instead, nothing I’ve seen looks anything close to that.

Man, I’m bummed.

• Thumbs Up 9

5 minutes ago, In All The World said:

Then we surely haven't played the same games in the franchise.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Tarnish said:

Then we surely haven't played the same games in the franchise.

Guess not. I'll admit I did skip on Colors, but I have played Unleashed and Generations.

5 minutes ago, In All The World said:

Cool, but as of now I can't say anything on gameplay controls since I don't have the game. 

So maybe you should spend some time actually explaining what is so great about it? 

Since its met your high standards and they don't involve gameplay it shouldn't be too hard.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Night on Balding Mountain said:

Okay I know I'm beating a dead horse but I still can't believe such laziness. This is how you treat your new big bad? This?!

To be fair there is differences, but yeah similarities with having the badniks revolve around them and both having a ramming attack along with the double boost at the end to finish them both off was poor. I didn't mind similar bosses in Colors because they weren't characters especially the big bad of the game like Infinite was suppose to be here so it is indeed insulting. I definitely preferred the previous two fights for him and even there music was better as Infinite's boss music here doesn't even sound anything remotely to his theme as they did.

I'm doing it right now. I do have other things to do later on today so don't expect it all that soon. And it doesn't involve gameplay controls, but it does involve the gameplay itself.

1 minute ago, In All The World said:

And it doesn't involve gameplay controls, but it does involve the gameplay itself.

Well that shouldn't take that long, since this game barely has any of that from what I've seen so far.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

Not referring to the spoilers themselves, but we're meant to be getting more information regarding Infinite's backstory in Episode Shadow. It doesn't defend the underusage of him here, but we'll probably get the actual details on how exactly Infinite came to be there.

17 minutes ago, In All The World said:

Maybe.. some people aren't critical enough?

I try to respect others opinions, but Christ, and this isn't addressed to you, for some people on other sites (YouTube, Reddit, even some on the Sega forums), you criticize the game in anyway and it's the same "You haven't played the game" or "You're being too harsh" or "Iol Sonic fans" garbage that they somehow think is enough to brush you off as a blind hater! 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

Not referring to the spoilers themselves, but we're meant to be getting more information regarding Infinite's backstory in Episode Shadow. It doesn't defend the underusage of him here, but we'll probably get the actual details on how exactly Infinite came to be there.

I would hope so, but even then you would think that double boost at the end would have broken Infinite's mask.

37 minutes ago, Spooky Mulder said:

Not having played more than the Japanese demo, I can’t say this for sure, but I think Forces looks like a much worse game than Lost World.

Full disclosure, I’m kind of a fan of SLW despite its many flaws. I think it’s the closest ST has ever come to getting the feeling of momentum right in a 3D Sonic game. Plus, even it’s wonky level design made it feel like a game I was actually *playing* rather than watching.

This looks like lots of empty Boost hallways and grinding segments. Really disappointing. I was hoping being on next-gen consoles that we’d get more stages like Seaside Hill. Instead, nothing I’ve seen looks anything close to that.

Man, I’m bummed.

Eh, gonna have to respectfully disagree there. Lost World was nigh unplayable to me. The controls were awful, the 2D sections may be the worst I've seen in any game in the past 10 years, the bosses were completely laughable, and the parkour system was barely functional. The game tried so many things, and it failed at literally all of them. With Forces, it's looking very flawed, but I can at least see some sparkles of competence in it. It has a solid structure, at least. I saw nothing in Lost World but frustration at how poorly designed every aspect of it was.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Night on Balding Mountain said:

paintinghome-paint-tips.jpg

I'm an inspiring asset designer

I'm just now seeing but WOW! Couldn't be assed.

Couldn't assed to make a new godamn wall to paint on. Why would you just lazily reuse something you've already done, and barly change it? Somebody really wanted a paycheck, or they just didn't care to make it somewhat different. This is the pits right here

Good job, whoever was the lead designer during this. You did it

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Razule said:

Maybe.. some people aren't critical enough?

I try to respect others opinions, but Christ, and this isn't addressed to you, for some people on other sites (YouTube, Reddit, even some on the Sega forums), you criticize the game in anyway and it's the same "You haven't played the game" or "You're being too harsh" or "Iol Sonic fans" garbage that they somehow think is enough to brush you off as a blind hater! 

Personally I hate those people. They hail the game as a godsend and use those same excuses to protect the game, all the time. Why not actually look at the level design of what SEGA showed us and accept that most of it was bad marketing? Or at least defend it based ON the level design? They showed us either decent levels or some of the worst of the crop. 

• Thumbs Up 2