Awoo.

Sonic Forces SPOILER Thread

Ellipsis-Ultima

2 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

How long are we going to keep this up, though? Didn't we say the same thing back when Lost World released?

Yes, which is why I don't think there's something else. This was the "something else" for years for many.

• Thumbs Up 3

27 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Maybe we're in the death spiral now.

Series struggles, staff gets fired or moves on, next game is worse because of it, leading to more staff leaving, leading to worse games, etc.

That saddens me. Would make sense though. They just need some fresh and creative minds to take over. The Hedgehog Engine 2 TM is now done, maybe get a smaller more focused team to make a lower budget game (like Mania, but 3D), but one that's fully of life and energy. Heck, get Whitehead and Headcannon collaborating too if you must.

There needs to be a paradigm shift, and I'm not sure a mahoosive clusterfuck like Forces is where its gonna come from.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

No, there’s no way another Sonic game is in development. That’s too good to be true. Besides, if that were the case wouldn’t we have known about another game? We knew about Sonic 06 a whole year before it was released and Sonic “Wildfire” more than half a year (I think?) before release. 

Not to mention the fact that this game has all those things that fans wanted to see again; a serious plot, edgy villain, create-a-custom character and more Generations style gameplay. Of course all of this fell flat on its face, but..this is what it was hyped up to be! A Sonic game with Generations gameplay and SA2’s story. 

This was it. This must’ve been the only Sonic game in active development. 

• Thumbs Up 6

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

That is thoroughly surprising to hear. 3 level designers? Things are now making sense.

It's not just the number.

It's the fact that 2 of them never worled on the franchise at all.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Limit Breaker Diamond said:

Yeah, that wasn't a wise decision. Kind of feel bad for those guys. 

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

No, there’s no way another Sonic game is in development. That’s too good to be true. Besides, if that were the case wouldn’t we have known about another game? We knew about Sonic 06 a whole year before it was released and Sonic “Wildfire” more than half a year (I think?) before release.

I'm honestly not sure what to expect myself, but to be fair with Colours and Lost World didn't we not hear about 'em until the year they came out? I think Generations was the only one that (IIRC) we got rumours / leaks the year before. Oh, and Boom I guess.

16 minutes ago, Limit Breaker Diamond said:

Eh, I don't think that really means as much as the smaller number of designers. We know boost levels take a lot of time and effort just to make one, putting a smaller number of people on that team makes no sense, regardless of how much experience the people you do put on there have.

The levels being so short even in the late game makes a lot more sense now, huh.

EDIT: And while I'd put this on the people in charge as well, this also explains stuff like how you literally never need to use the slide. I watched the entire game (or at least the main campaign) through streams but this didn't even hit me until I saw one of the Mission achievement things was "Use the slide as Modern Sonic!"...and it was unchecked. In the post-game. It's like the level designers didn't even know about one of your moves.

• Thumbs Up 5

20 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Series struggles, staff gets fired or moves on, next game is worse because of it, leading to more staff leaving, leading to worse games, etc.

Huh.. then we might be wrong after all. Even cockroaches can't always pop back up.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Night on Balding Mountain said:

latest?cb=20150216222445

A director with only one good game to his credit, a hack writer and three inexperienced programers? If you ever needed proof that Sonic team are incapable of learning this is it.

I don't known how to feel about this.

26 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

And Sonic Team’s tightened control means all the other options are the Comics, the film, and a possible Mania 2.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

I want to play Forces, because as someone who's so deeply interested in Sonic games and how they work it's something that I can't pass up. How would I talk about Forces and what it does for the series for years to come without actually passing the whole game myself? Especially when it's such a prime example of everything wrong with the series at the moment. I need to pay the game to fully understand it. I simply won't pay full price for it though. I'll just get it pre-owned, because I do not want to support such a product.

I'm a bit conflicted here. I don't want to buy a used copy of Forces physical because I don't think it deserves to take up the cartridge slot in my Switch over far better physical games in my collection, like Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey. But at the same time, I don't want to buy it digital because that would be directly supporting them.

• Thumbs Up 1

In other news, I just realized that the moon medals aren't the first time silver rings and red rings have been used alongside each other in the series:

latest?cb=20160731101504

latest?cb=20150215144951

Secret Rings was the one that introduced them, though they were Silver Star rings, and Fire Soul rings in that case.

2 minutes ago, GuyWithThePie said:

I'm a bit conflicted here. I don't want to buy a used copy of Forces physical because I don't think it deserves to take up the cartridge slot in my Switch over far better physical games in my collection, like Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey. But at the same time, I don't want to buy it digital because that would be directly supporting them.

So are you going to rent it? Wait for the ROM dump? 

Maybe this could end up being a good thing. A complete restructuring of Sonic Team would probably be the best case scenario for the franchise. I don’t know how likely that is at this point

• Nice Smile 1

21 minutes ago, azoo said:

Uhh.. is Sonic Team gonna be okay?

I know the series will, but is the company behind them doing alright? Because I honestly don't know where the staff behind Unleashed - Generations are at. Are they working on other Sega games? Are they even still at the company?

Wowee.

Well I mean its been implied there have been development problems with this game.

I remember some shit from Retro, where Endri said there was a prototype game that resembled neither the boost formula or LW, existed. It is entirely possible that project is still alive, or it was canned around Forces' inception and members of that Team moved on to a different project or indeed, just left.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

9 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

So are you going to rent it? Wait for the ROM dump? 

Something tells me that a rental won't be enough to truly experience this game, and I've never really pirated anything before. So I guess I'll just have to choose between used physical or discounted digital.