Awoo.

Sonic Forces SPOILER Thread

Ellipsis-Ultima

Okay, @Indigo Rush, I know you mean well and I mean no offense, but do you mind summing that up in about 3 lines or less?

Cause I know there's a perfectly sensible message somewhere in that book report that's very much worth hearing and understanding but there is no way in hell I'm going through all of that.

56 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

See stuff like this is why I'm wary of the idea that "they just need fresh blood"

Granted, they're still working under Kishimoto, director of Lost World, Colors, and the storybook games, and lead game designer for the latter half

http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Morio_Kishimoto

But what good is new talent if they aren't helmed by someone who knows what they're doing with the series in the first place? Or... they just flat-out aren't a good fit for Sonic?

Stuff like this only reaffirms my belief that they need fresh blood. There are actual humans working for real-life money at Sonic Team who delegated tasks this way. 

So in summary go play Sonic Mania for 2D Sonic goodness, and go play Mario Odyssey for 3D goodness?
Well, I mean, Odyssey is the best 3D Sonic game to come out in recent times. [emoji14]

Also @Indigo Rush, that was an excellent book report. 10 oughtta 10.
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 2

Umm..this game doesn’t seem to have a sound test? Only because the guy who livestreamed Sonic Forces went to different stages so someone else could record the music. That’s...what? Has there ever been a Sonic game with NO sound test??

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

Umm..this game doesn’t seem to have a sound test? Only because the guy who livestreamed Sonic Forces went to different stages so someone else could record the music. That’s...what? Has there ever been a Sonic game with NO sound test??

Colors

22 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

So in summary go play Sonic Mania for 2D Sonic goodness, and go play Mario Odyssey for 3D goodness?

Well, it’s story wastes Pauline as much as this game wastes any of its characters, the final boss is another letdown...

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, KHCast said:

If those are the only real complaints to be had, I think Indigo's point still stands lol.(and odyssey's final boss isn't anywhere near as bad as Forces we can all agree there I think)

And gratuitous nostalgia pandering, lame settings, and yet more needless villains.

1 minute ago, Miragnarok said:

And gratuitous nostalgia pandering, lame settings, and yet more needless villains.

Are we now doing the nostalgia argument to defend forces with Odyssey since the Mania one is done to death?

also, from what I've heard, the locations are all great?

• Thumbs Up 6

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

This isn't the Mario Odyssey thread and I haven't played that game yet so can we maybe not go on a big potentially-spoilery tangent about this.

This. I'm so tired of going on YouTube and seeing thumbnails revealing like six different costumes at once. Or any number of things that would've been amazing to learn on my own. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

This isn't the Mario Odyssey thread and I haven't played that game yet so can we maybe not go on a big potentially-spoilery tangent about this.

Spoiler! Bowser kidnaps peach, and you have to go save her! Sorry couldn't help myself.

Though comparing the two without spoilers. Bowser goes all out in style where as pointed out in the thread, Eggman is more boring and military like rather than gleeful. Bowser oddly had that covered without saying how.

Also guys I suggest using UNSPOILER/Video Blocker for things you don't want spoiled. It automatically blocks out all videos and mentions of key words you put into those apps.

• Thumbs Up 1

What bugs me most is that the uninteresting final phase of final boss has really good theme, whereas the other two are almost nothing. And from the final boss only the second phase is somehow "new".

• Thumbs Up 1

I wasn't around when Sonic 06 released, was that game as divisive as this game is?

Because I'm honestly surprised how divisive this game is. You've got people loving this game, you've got people absolutely despising this game and its guts, you've got people in between that loves some stuff and hates some stuff (like me). 

I don't know if Sonic 06 got to this level when it released but kudos to SEGA if they managed to top that game.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

IIn summation, it doesn't look fun because it's providing little else between each visual spectacle besides one-note gameplay and repetitive challenges. We have noticed the patterns, we know who's developing the game down to their names, and it's failing to hook many of us because we've wised up to Sonic Team's playbook. Sonic Forces is going to be a blast for many of you to play through the first, maybe even the second and third time. But once you slog through every EX platforming challenge and collect everything you can, once you've watched the cutscenes enough times to burn them into your conscious like the Adventure games had for us older folk, I can't guarantee you're going to want to replay those levels once the charm has worn off.

Meanwhile... I, and many others have played through those old Genesis games time and time again. Not simply because it's what I grew up with as a youngster, but because I still discover new things even 20 years later. I find new ways to use Sonic's momentum physics to improve my skill. Each playthrough becomes different and my experience is never the exact same. The designers don't ask me to play the game the exact way they want me too, their hand is not felt strongly, they give me the freedom to take this other path, they want me to go back as a different character and go off the beaten path in multiple ways to find new ways to beat the level. I'm not being guided by a story, I'm not rushing to the end so I can skip the next cutscene to play the next level, I'm taking in the world and experiencing the dynamic gameplay in a way I could never do with the gameplay seen in games like Sonic Forces.

Just to clarify, is this in regards to the level design of Forces/Colours specifically, or the level design of Boost games as a whole?

Because if it's as a whole, yeah, going to have to disagree big time. Colours, yes is one of the least replayable games for me. Mainly due to the fact not only is it a hassle to go through and hook up my Wii U to play it, but while the levels can be fun, I don't like the cut up structure of them, nor how they aren't really memorable outside of maybe Planet Wisp. 

But, with that said, I find myself going back to play levels from Generations and Unleashed a lot. Not only because they're fun to blast through but the additional paths to find and run through make them a lot more replayable. I still can't find it being an thing of "just blast through as best you can" because Unleashed and Gens were just as much about trying to figure out alt routes, taking higher paths, and exploring the levels. Stuff like Modern City Escape and Arid Sands Day especially had me replaying them a lot due to needing to figure out paths for red star rings, and speedrunning paths when I was going through for trophies. 

• Thumbs Up 6

I've finally figured out the ten stages Shadow's DLC refers to. Must be counting boss stages.

Sonic's seven levels plus Zavok, Infinite, and Metal Sonic. 0.01% Eggman has control of probably IS the Shadow DLC. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 3

15 minutes ago, Saber Wisp said:

I wasn't around when Sonic 06 released, was that game as divisive as this game is?

Because I'm honestly surprised how divisive this game is. You've got people loving this game, you've got people absolutely despising this game and its guts, you've got people in between that loves some stuff and hates some stuff (like me). 

I don't know if Sonic 06 got to this level when it released but kudos to SEGA if they managed to top that game.

Sonic 06 isn't "divisive," it's a straight-up broken, glitchy mess.

And I wouldn't call this "divisive," either. Just some people who are like "meh, looks fun anyways," and others who are furious about the seemingly soulless direction this game took.

23 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Well, it’s story wastes Pauline as much as this game wastes any of its characters, the final boss is another letdown...

giphy.gif

Are we seriously comparing these two games? I haven’t beaten Odyssey yet but I’m pretty damn sure that the final boss does not rehash or copy a final boss from a previous game like Sonic Forces did! 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

Just to clarify, is this in regards to the level design of Forces/Colours specifically, or the level design of Boost games as a whole?

Colors and Forces specifically. I still don't think the other boost games are a best case scenario for longetivity either, but they do have more depth to them and are easier to return to thanks to a marginally higher skill ceiling.

• Thumbs Up 1