Awoo.

Sonic Forces SPOILER Thread

Ellipsis-Ultima

2 minutes ago, McGroose said:

Which makes the next 3D Sonic game to come out the game-dealer or game-breaker when it comes to Sonic in my eyes. This game proves that Sega has absolutely no idea what it's doing. They haven't found a definitive style and are scrambling together ideas in a desperate attempt to make something work, trying to appease everyone and therefore appeasing no one. Who knows what the next 3D game will be like since, with the exception of Modern Sonic having a boost (and LW and ROL removed that), there's very little sense of where 3D Sonic should go and anyone can assume what the next game can be like at this point. If we get something that's a genuine improvement over this piece of shit, than I'll be impressed and I'll stick with the series. If we get something that clearly shows Sega is still fucking stupid and is willingly choosing to continue producing titles of obvious piss-poor quality, then I'm done. At that point, I'd be convinced that there's no hope for this series unless Sonic Team undergoes a massive staff overhaul or the Sonic IP is handed over to another company for good (besides BRB anyway, poor guys).

I mean, depending on the sales for this game, you might already be "done" bud. What would another chance at a big Sonic title do for the existing Sonic Team except dig an even deeper hole?

I'm not even rooting for their demise. Just saying, they haven't shown that they're close to figuring it out, at all.

People were saying "Ok, next game and that's it" in the period leading up to this game because of Lost World and Boom. Barack Obama was only in the first year of his 2nd presidency term when this game started production.

The only real hope is that SEGA realizes what they have with the Mania Team. And that they're actually interested in taking on a bigger project. But I have my doubts about that.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ShroomZed said:

Eh, what the hell. 

Eggman creeps up to Little Planet without anyone knowing. He acquires the time stones (with the help of new cool modern Metal Sonic) and takes them down to Sonic's planet. He uses them to generate this cool turbine looking thing that of course can move time ahead or behind. Eggman takes this turbine thing (it's portable) and lures Sonic and Tails to an isolated place with some badnik attacks and traps them, moving them 6 months into the future (just like in StC). This takes them to the cool Eggman utopia where of course everything is Egg themed and shit. Eggman is getting the appreciation he finally deserves! Except everyone is miserable, either badniks or they are citizens who are usually doing demeaning silly tasks that are just meant to fuel Eggman's ego in some way. Sonic and Tails don't know what to do on the surface and make their way to Angel Island which they hope is isolated from this Eggman shit. They find Angel Island not fallen, but attached to a huge plinth connected to the planet. The entire surface of it looks like Carnival Night on steroids. The master emerald is gone and so is knuckles. Sonic and Tails are frustrated at this point. Sonic wants to fight and bash his way through to Eggman while Tails thinks they should think some and have a plan. Sonic wins the argument and they fight through some crap until they get overwhelmed and taken by ship to one of Eggman's factories where new experimental badniks and parts and cool shit are built. Sonic and Tails break any sort of supervision and Tails builds a plane secretly out of parts everywhere. They fly out with the plane and try to find a place that may be easier to attack with thought. They notice that a lot of Eggman's infrastructures are actually quite shoddy, rusty, and collapsing somewhat as he can't keep control of everything easily. They start to attack these places and break them apart from the grid. 

That's just beginning stuff I guess. At some point they should come across Knuckles who was duped by Eggman and is on his side (maybe both out of desperation and Eggman baited him with some cool looking minerals and richness, idk). Like I said, desperation as what choice would he have? Imagine waking up one day, finding 100,000 Eggrobos and Metal Sonic and airships shaped like whales at your doorstep. Anyway they have to get him back on their side. 

This is really aimless but this stuff is more interesting that what Forces did. 

Well would you look at that, a Sonic story focused on Eggman taking over the world that focuses on one idea, actually plays around with the concept and makes use of established characters.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

If they were going to have Eggman use a sun to destroy the planet, then this really would've been a good time to introduce... Two Worlds™. Yes it's dumb and it doesn't make sense, but if Eggman said something like he was going to turn the planet into a giant Death Egg and use it to conquer the Human World it'd be far in line with his character.

But the way the story presents it, it just seems like Eggman's been replaced with Eggman NEGA.

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Because Sonic stories relying in Chaos Emeralds is a tired af cliche? Granted the Sonic stories that don't use them aren't glowing either but I appreciate the effort 

Here we pretend relying on the Phantom Ruby is much better plotting.

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

If they were going to have Eggman use a sun to destroy the planet, then this really would've been a good time to introduce... Two Worlds™. Yes it's dumb and it doesn't make sense, but if Eggman said something like he was going to turn the planet into a giant Death Egg and use it to conquer the Human World it'd be far in line with his character.

But the way the story presents it, it just seems like Eggman's been replaced with Eggman NEGA.

(Not sure why the text is suddenly so big but whatever)

So does that mean Eggman Nega has been finally retired?

1 hour ago, Super Mechanio said:

Next, I'd make Eggman's damn league of villains deliver on its promise and actually be a proper league of villains. They'd all be real, and all have actual motivations to work for him. Maybe he found ways to blackmail his former hench-minions like Chaos, Shadow, and Zavok into serving him. In Metal Sonic's case, he's already an Eggman robot anyway, so no need to do anything special there. Personally, I'd throw in Grand Battle Kuku and Witchcart too, just to bring back some old favorites.

Damn, they could have gone with the Shadow working as a secret/double agent for the Resistance angle and feeding information back to Rouge, Knuckles and the rest of the gang. Could have set up an interesting boss fight, making the assumption that Shadow would be a playable character, between him and Infinite after Infinite catches on. 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Razule said:

(Not sure why the text is suddenly so big but whatever)

Protip: just click on the button at the top left of the editor to fix stuff like that. Fixed it for ya. ;P

Also yeah I'm actually surprised the "two worlds" thing didn't come up, if it's something that's supposed to be taken literally. That said, I'd have to rewatch the cutscenes but...did Eggman actually say he was gonna destroy the whole world with the "sun"? It sounded more like he was just targeting the Resistance specifically, hence my post earlier about how it doesn't make much sense as far as realism goes but this series is weird when it comes to science and physics (the moon being even half destroyed should have been a way bigger deal, to use a vaguely similar situation as an example) so, lol.

22 minutes ago, Celestia said:

It sounded more like he was just targeting the Resistance specifically, hence my post earlier about how it doesn't make much sense as far as realism goes but this series is weird when it comes to science and physics (the moon being even half destroyed should have been a way bigger deal, to use a vaguely similar situation as an example) so, lol.

He says in the scene with Classic in Green Hill that when his plan is complete (the sun) the Resistance will be erased and "The world will be nothing but ashes from which a glorious Eggman Empire will rise". So, yeah.. he is trying to destroy the world.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, RLS Legacy said:

unoriginality.thumb.png.7ffcb3f626c9e9d6c291537cea779179.png

What a difference 7 years makes.

By which of course I mean 7 years apparently make no difference whatsoever.

HEY! TO BE FAIR, they're not totally the same! They each have different designs and like one different move! Hate officially debunked and unjustified 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 3

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

HEY! TO BE FAIR, they're not totally the same! They each have different designs and like one different move! Hate officially debunked and unjustified 

Also it was in the other games so it's fine here

• Chuckle 3

19 minutes ago, Razule said:

He says in the scene with Classic in Green Hill that when his plan is complete (the sun) the Resistance will be erased and "The world will be nothing but ashes from which a glorious Eggman Empire will rise". So, yeah.. he is trying to destroy the world.

Ah, okay. I forgot about that scene, probably wrote off that line as him just generally destroying cities to build something better (for him) but it does have different implications given what happened in the endgame.

Tbh if these games bothered with ongoing character arcs, I could believe something like this as the logical conclusion of Eggman becoming more unhinged from Unleashed and onwards. I remember when I thought they were seriously building up to something, but if that was the intent they kinda messed it up; would've been as easy as a throwaway line about him being more off the rails lately.

• Thumbs Up 4

I’ve been thinking about that Sonic Forces comic, the chapter with Shadow, Omega and Rouge. At the very end Shadow makes his way over to the pyramid where Omega was attacked by Infinite.

Do you think we’ll find out what happened next in the chapter released next Tuesday or will this be in the Shadow DLC? Otherwise it’s going to be yet another loose thread in this lame story I guess. 

It'll be in the DLC. We already know from the leaked covers that the last chapter will focus on Eggman and Infinite.

13 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

I’ve been thinking about that Sonic Forces comic, the chapter with Shadow, Omega and Rouge. At the very end Shadow makes his way over to the pyramid where Omega was attacked by Infinite.

Do you think we’ll find out what happened next in the chapter released next Tuesday or will this be in the Shadow DLC? Otherwise it’s going to be yet another loose thread in this lame story I guess. 

The comics seem to cover different characters every week, so next week it'll probably be someone else. DLC starts immediately after the comic, it looks like.

5 hours ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

It's not just about having 3 level designers who are new to Sonic games. Look no further to Unleashed, which most of the people working on the game were straight out of collage. It's about the direction and who's doing it. Hashimoto was a great director that lead the team to the right path and in general had a great staff who seemed to communicate well enough on how to advance Sonic's design. 

Further more; It was a well organized development from what Hashimoto and all the material I've read on World Adventure. Criticize the werehog all you want. The entirety of his existence was not a simple "throw away" gameplay. Flaws came upon it(as with most attempts to trying something new) though I deem it having the most fleshed out of alternative styles.

Forces could have also been very good if the director wasn't so aggressive on dumbing down Sonic and taking away the core aspects away from him. 

Truly I hope people don't think it's always the quantity of the designers, but also the quality and direction.

It's a wierd thing. But actually most were from Sonic 06. (lead level designer and programmer). So year it's down to many factors like you said (leadership being a main one)

Lost World and this seem of the same kind mediocore stank that came kind of out of nowhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

My dream of a base form Sonic bumrushing a Perfect Egg Robo powered by Chaos Emeralds and systematically winning back each Emerald until dealing the final blow as Super Sonic will forever be dead. 

Speaking of egg robos, who else feels ripped off that we never got a boss fight between the giant death egg robots attacking "City" and modern sonic? 

I mean that was literally the first thing they showed us as far as this game goes and yeah you fight a death egg robot at the very end but it's just not the same. I also liked the way the giant robots looked in the initial trailer compared with how they looked in the final game. I wonder why they decided to make all the robots black and white in this game 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, AuroraRedwinters said:

Damn, they could have gone with the Shadow working as a secret/double agent for the Resistance angle and feeding information back to Rouge, Knuckles and the rest of the gang. Could have set up an interesting boss fight, making the assumption that Shadow would be a playable character, between him and Infinite after Infinite catches on. 

This was my theory after I saw the villain trailer. Plus this would’ve been the perfect game to have the chaos emeralds play a role in the plot. I mean in a game where Eggman takes over the world, you need to pull out all the stops and the chaos emeralds probably would’ve been the perfect counter to the phantom ruby. Not only that but then we could’ve had a super sonic vs death egg robot final boss fight. Just having a full on fight to the finish with just modern (super) sonic vs Eggman could’ve been a perfect conclusion to a chaos emeralds vs phantom ruby conflict.

10 hours ago, Razule said:

Wait, he was just using the sun to destroy the Resistance, right? Not the whole planet? Because.. that wouldn't make any sense.

Yeah, I thinking that too.

9 hours ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

Shadow's trying to show off his new and improved dance skills at the club. He works hard on this every year, you know.

It was Donkey Kong who gave him the necessary dance lessons. He owes him a debt of gratitude.

Lol, what's up with the melodramatic music in the second one.

Also, am I the only one who get's FundtheCharityRoom's Undertale playthrough as the next video?

Put me in the group who is disappointed with how they wrote eggman. It was like he was an illusion himself.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, A Zombie KING and 35 other said:

Put me in the group who is disappointed with how they wrote eggman. It was like he was an illusion himself.

Maybe that's why he disappeared...he was an illusion all along. The real Eggman fell asleep after creating infinite and let him do all the work.

Just now, StaticMania said:

Maybe that's why he disappeared...he was an illusion all along. The real Eggman fell asleep after creating infinite and let him do all the work.

Maybe this whole game was just a dream eggman had.

5 hours ago, KHCast said:

I know it's intentional and all, but am I the only one that sees the army of Zavocks, Shadows, Chaos,etc and just thinks it looks lazy and done to save time? I mean would have been nice to see some other enemies Sonic's faced in the army, even if they had no role in the story. Plus it's not like the villain illusions did much already, so adding a few more at the end wouldn't throw anything off

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Like, why not get the other Zeti in there while you're at it? And maybe even clones of Big and Jet for the sake of it?