Awoo.

I am scared about my Sonic fan status.....

avidsonicfan1991

I haven't bought Sonic Mania or Sonic Forces, but even to this day, they still have this fatal flaw. Not only is my prediction correct about Forces being exclusive to Windows (See my first post here for more information, but even then, it's not even close to being my biggest fear, which is coming up)

...but both games will also have this notorious game-ruining DRM called Denuvo. When Sonic Mania first came out, I saw the Steam reviews as most of the top ones are negative, with the basic consensus being "Great game, but ruined by Denuvo". But just today, I looked again, and a lot of the top reviews are basic, short, positive reviews, but a couple of top negative reviews (again bashing Denuvo) got me really afraid because one of those negative reviews made me realize that Denuvo might be ALWAYS-ONLINE DRM!!! The review ended with "Seriously SEGA... fuck you, fuck denuvo, and anyone reading this, buy Freedom Planet instead." Now, I do own Freedom Planet just for the Sonic-style gameplay, but the reason that scares me is because I always liked Sonic JUST FOR THE CHARACTERS, and not as much for the gameplay. Am I seriously a furry just for doing that?! I don't dress up in a fursuit or anything, but if you think I'm a furry, then I may need to kill myself for being a furry!

The second negative review that bashes Denuvo concludes with "Maybe Sonic doesn't suck. Sega does." That just makes me realize that SEGA is the #1 worst Company in world history! Worse than Comcast, worse than Bitterman Arts, worse than Monsanto, worse than Walmart, etc. Which makes me want to bawl my eyes out because they made my childhood hero!!! :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

I think Sonic and Eggman are two of the best cartoon characters of all time. Nothing wrong with liking the characters it doesn't make you a furry. Just enjoy it man.

2 minutes ago, avidsonicfan1991 said:

That just makes me realize that SEGA is the #1 worst Company in world history! Worse than Comcast, worse than Bitterman Arts, worse than Monsanto, worse than Walmart, etc.

No, not really.

4 minutes ago, avidsonicfan1991 said:

but if you think I'm a furry, then I may need to kill myself for being a furry!

??????????

You're not a furry just because you like Sanic, chill out.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, NastCF said:

Ever heard of Konami? :P

I have heard all about that infamous Konami debacle. But how bad really is SEGA? I want to know because them creating my childhood hero was the only reason why I declared it the worst company of all time.

I'd like to point out the two largest flaws that I've seen mentioned regarding Denuvo:

• It requires the servers to run - which won't be up forever. The servers will last for years and the game will likely be patched at that point to not require it;
  • It is required to be connected to the internet when you boot the software. This isn't an issue if you're playing at home on a PC, but causes issues travelling.

Most of the Denuvo issues won't actually affect you during regular play, so just buy the game and enjoy it. If you simply can't, buy it on another device.

As for SEGA, they're doing the same thing that other companies do through other means. Games through UPlay, EA's system, Battle.net - most require you to be online in some form. Denuvo sucks but in reality it won't cause issues for most players in typical play.

• Thumbs Up 4

Man just enjoy the hechhoeg and embrace the madness. Nothing wrong with running loops n stuff, fam. Buy Sonic Mania with money and get hype

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Josh said:

Wtf is bitterman arts man

It's just a fake name I came up with for a real company in which I don't even want to tell you the real name of, I hate it so badly...

1 minute ago, avidsonicfan1991 said:

It's just a fake name I came up with for a real company in which I don't even want to tell you the real name of, I hate it so badly...

I get you. 

Is it like a well known company or nah

7 minutes ago, Josh said:

I get you. 

Is it like a well known company or nah

Well known in the gaming world, and Arts definitely is in its name.

The second negative review that bashes Denuvo concludes with "Maybe Sonic doesn't suck. Sega does." That just makes me realize that SEGA is the #1 worst Company in world history!

SEGA is beautifully tone deaf, but they haven't engaged in nearly the same business practices as, say, Konami, or numerous other publishers. Denuvo implementation was a bad, dumb decision but it's not on the same level as sending developers to the pachinko mines, or arbitrarily shutting studios down. If you care enough about it, you can always pick Mania up on another platform, same with Forces or any future SEGA release.

Also,  liking Sonic and being a furry aren't mutually exclusive.

I mean, it's not like Star Fox.

• Nice Smile 2

Just now, avidsonicfan1991 said:

Well known in the gaming world, and Arts definitely is in its name.

Damn. Well you basically gave it away there. 

I don't like them either!

18 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Also,  liking Sonic and being a furry aren't mutually exclusive.

I've heard of being an Anthro as having the same reputation as being a furry, and apparently liking Sonic is considered being an Anthro...

5 minutes ago, avidsonicfan1991 said:

I've heard of being an Anthro as having the same reputation as being a furry, and apparently liking Sonic is considered being an Anthro...

I am nowhere near inundated enough with the furry subculture to know what that would even mean, but I'm pretty confident that you can like Sonic and not associate yourself with a whole lifestyle by proxy.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, avidsonicfan1991 said:

I'm... pretty sure the term Anthro isn't supposed to be associated with human beings of any sort. Isn't Anthro just short for Anthropromorphic... as in having human features? Because we're all humans. This by technicality should make us Anthros, right?

I think you're confused. Sonic is the Anthro here. He's a hedgehog who walks, talks and acts like a human.

But I'm with everyone here. Liking Sonic doesn't make you a furry, anthro or whatever. You just enjoy the characters.

Zootopia has a 98% on Rotten Tomatoes. Does this mean all 98% of critics who like that movie are Furries? I like Sonic. I like Zootopia. Am I a furry? Probably not.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Wha- no... look, Sonic's just a lil' Mickey Mouse-ish cartoon character no need to be up at night for likin' him.

Good lord man.  

You shouldn't be scared about being a Sonic fan unless it is a public thing. I'm also concerned about Denuvo (and why I haven't bought Mania myself) however it isn't just Sega putting it in but other companies have too. In fact Sega was one of the last of the big PC companies to put that copy protection in while the ones that have done it are removing it. Will it get patched to be officially removed? I wouldn't count it just because of history on copy protection on PC (e.g. SafeDisc, SecuROM, Starforce, TAGES, Games for Windows) and only some have removed the copy protection but not all. Oh and about the Windows thing that you mentioned, that is because that's where the majority of PC gaming is coming from and the largest non-mobile operating system. There aren't many games on Mac and Linux but they have improved for those operating systems. Sega are very inconsistant and have done silly decisions but are they the worst company in the world? No, no, no. There are far worse than a gaming company who aren't even the worst in that category these days. Be thankful that Sonic games don't have microtransactions or loot boxes in them.

You can still be a Sonic fan even if you don't have Mania, Forces or any future Sonic games. Just go for the ones that you enjoy.

As for the furry thing. Well, he's a cartoon character and by the nature of his design, you bound to find a few who are into the subculture who take a liking for it. It is only a minority of Sonic fans and usually they are into other stuff too. Being a Sonic fan doesn't make you a furry, there are other reasons why. Oh an Anthro is short for anthromorphic that basically means someone who has human features so like Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny and most animal cartoon characters. They are two different things.

• Thumbs Up 1

Only being into the Sonic franchise doesn't make you a furry, exactly how being into a certain anime/manga series doesn't make you a weeb instantly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dude , I'm what a lot of people would consider and OLD Sonic fan. I collect my kids from School wearing Sonic T-shirts and the like. I couldn't care less what other people think of my fandoms or why I like them. Whatever you're into just embrace it and enjoy it. I love this hedgehog and the franchise , its fun, positive and colourful.

My message to you is don't resign yourself to this label or that label , just be you and enjoy whatever you like.

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't want to mention this at first, but now I gotta tell you that the reason why I thought I was a furry/anthro for liking Sonic was because there was an SFMLab item called "Modern Sonic Phonemes" which was flagged as furry/anthro with the notice "By downloading this, you acknowledge that you are a complete the amazing taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch™."