Awoo.

Sonic Forces Development Speculation (Spoilers)

Stritix

9 hours ago, TheOcelot said:

Sounds a bit like Unleashed:

SOJ: "We're gonna include a slower gameplay style called werehog".

SOA: "That's not a good idea".

SOJ: "We're going to include it anyway, so tough!"

Same kind of idea with Forces (OC instead of Werehog) but this time SOJ has actually listened to SOE/SOA. Huh...

I think classic Sonic would have been pitched from the very beginning due to his, I guess...good reception in Generations. Perhaps they decided to tone-down the amount of times you play as the OC in favor of more classic Sonic stages. Mania (despite how much later in development it was) has had some kind of influence over classic Sonic in Forces (the drop-dash at the very least). 

Why has SOJ since Unleashed been so afraid to make a 3d Sonic game with the boost being the only gameplay style? It's baffling.

Well...Sega Of America in their own right are quite guilty of making Sonic more stylish and speed based. SOJ had to follow that line of thought because majority of the fans loved it and the team was new too. Can't blame them honestly..

SOA: Let's scrap what potential can be had with transitioning classic gameplay to 3D and make his gameplay fast and crazy.

SOJ: No don-

SOA: Murica!

Everyone has of blood on their gloves...The werehog was a nice departure from the speed in my perspective.

22 minutes ago, Linkabel said:

It's kind of funny, because somewhere out there there's an interview with Yoshihisa Hashimoto where he mentions that someone high up in SoJ (forgot who he was) told him to reconsider putting the Werehog in Unleashed. The reason was because the other guy knew it was going to get a bad reception, but Hashimoto still decided to go with it. 

Not surprising. If you read some of the excerpts of him, he was incredibly confident this game will sell well. He was right...

Though, If people were fine with Adventure 1(lol) and Adventure 2 forcing it even further(lmao) why such an outcry for Werehog? Wasn't the main complaint that none of the gameplay styles were Sonic himself? Or was it perhaps the marketing? 

Actually, I think it was the marketing. I remember something about the announcements but not if they did a Raiden like Kojima did with MGS2. 

The team was really passionate and confident they could pull it off. Quite rare to hear that in Sonic Team compared to today but It became a bit of a double edged sword. Not sure how much development went into the werehog but I do wonder that if he wasn't in it, how would the game look? 

I think that if he wasn't in it, they could have refined some aspects in Unleashed. 

Can't say I personally hate it. All it did was follow the Adventure Formula that everyone seemed to have loved.

• Thumbs Up 1

That insider info is really interesting and shows you that SoJ still has that divide with SoA and SoE. After all these years, why can’t they just get along? 

Anyway, whenever this meeting was might have also been when they decided to change Boom!Sonic to Avatar. I know it’s a stretch but the signs are there. It’s not just the grappling hook mechanic, but also the fact that Avatar is much taller than the other characters. His build is more like a Sonic Boom character as well, tall and lanky. Then there’s that “Death Egg Robot” (lame af name btw) looking like a robotisized version of Lyric...too many coincidences if you ask me. It does make you wonder what the story would have been like with three different Sonics.  

9 hours ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

If it does turn out to be true that they're already developing another game in the background, that would go a LONG way towards restoring my faith in them. Because Forces does not seem like the work of the same studio that produced Generations. I have commented many times that that gameplay is fundamentally problematic, but I'll be damned if it wasn't still a passion project and still a very good experience overall. That game showed that they can deliver something good when they really try. "Great"  maybe not. But good for sure.

I'm having a hard time believing Forces alone is "it" after 4 years. I really want to believe in the alternative.

We can only hope so but...this is not the Sonic Team from the 2000’s who were churning out 2-3 Sonic games on a regular basis. I have a bad feeling that this is the only game they’ve got to show in the four years since SLW’s release.

3 hours ago, Gabz Girl said:

We can only hope so but...this is not the Sonic Team from the 2000’s who were churning out 2-3 Sonic games on a regular basis. I have a bad feeling that this is the only game they’ve got to show in the four years since SLW’s release.

I'm not at all advocating that its a good idea to split resources on the main project like that. I don't think so.

I'm just saying that I'd rather hope that Sonic Team is not actually just burned out with the franchise (strong possibility) and just mailing in their effort at this point. Because then a serious change in staff would absolutely need to take place. And we might not get the chance to see it if Forces bombs.

I've never seriously thought Sonic Team was incompetent. Just that SEGA the company is confused in its priorities and it Forces Sonic Team down strange and illogical paths creatively. They both deserve blame for squandering the Sonic IP, which still has enormous potential even today.

• Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

I'm not at all advocating that its a good idea to split resources on the main project like that. I don't think so.

I'm just saying that I'd rather hope that Sonic Team is not actually just burned out with the franchise (strong possibility) and just mailing in their effort at this point. Because then a serious change in staff would absolutely need to take place. And we might not get the chance to see it if Forces bombs.

I've never seriously thought Sonic Team was incompetent. Just that SEGA the company is confused in its priorities and it Forces Sonic Team down strange and illogical paths creatively. They both deserve blame for squandering the Sonic IP, which still has enormous potential even today.

Part of me thinks that Sonic Team should work on other IP and step away from Sonic for some time while other developers like taxman, Headcanon, and Dimps take care of the franchise temporally 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Part of me thinks that Sonic Team should work on other IP and step away from Sonic for some time while other developers like taxman, Headcanon, and Dimps take care of the franchise temporally 

Dimps has been getting worse too though.

The Advances and Rush were competent, if flawed, games.

Then they did garbage like Unleashed Wii, Sonic 4, and the portable version of Generations and Lost World. I feel like Dimps has been undergoing a similar worsening of quality to Sonic Team themselves, so they can't really be relied upon anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

Dimps has been getting worse too though.

The Advances and Rush were competent, if flawed, games.

Then they did garbage like Unleashed Wii, Sonic 4, and the portable version of Generations and Lost World. I feel like Dimps has been undergoing a similar worsening of quality to Sonic Team themselves, so they can't really be relied upon anymore.

So that just leaves Mania team then. Didn't know they made Unleashed Wii.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Notice how their quality started to drop when they stopped working on original games and just ports of the console ones. 

Really makes you think.

While that's true, Sonic 4 was their baby - totally their title without being a port of anything else. And it was hyped up to be a grand return to Sonic's roots by everyone. And, well, we all know how that turned out.

I think whatever talent Dimps had for this franchise is long gone.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

9 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

You're right that we may already be at that point. A lot of people have suspected that they've been burned out for years already. I just have trouble seeing SEGA allow Taxman and company to assume control of the IP right out the gate. Its part of the reason I'm concerned about Forces if it bombs because they may feel that 3D Sonic is simply not worth the risk anymore. And that's, of course, not true.

I am in support of any team that is motivated (and skilled and understanding enough) to get Sonic back to great heights though.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

2 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

While that's true, Sonic 4 was their baby - totally their title without being a port of anything else. And it was hyped up to be a grand return to Sonic's roots by everyone. And, well, we all know how that turned out.

I think whatever talent Dimps had for this franchise is long gone.

I'm mostly saying that their quality decline probably has more to do with Sonic Team's interference than anything else. 

• Thumbs Up 8

After reading about what happened between sonic team jp, sega Eoe and US, the idea of wanting this game to fail seems a lot more justified. Wow.

Well... it's crazy how Sonic Team once thought to put Avatar on a position above Sonic on his own game, it's a bad idea and it's crazy how they don't have this sense of how bad this idea was, SoE and SoA needed to talk about it to stop they. I know, if Sonic Forces is bad as we thought, just imagine if we don't even play with Sonic on this. 4 Years to just... 30 stages with 1 minute? I really don't believe this game was 4 years of development.

(also i'm new Hi)

• Fist Bump 1

I’d like Sonic Team to take a “proper” break to examine the next step for the modern side of the franchise. 

I was a fan of Generations but after witnessing the recent coverage a “proper” evaluation of what makes Sonic appealing is needed instead of trying to cash grab with padding through classic Sonic and OC. The level design us simply too drab and generic to be a good platformer. I don’t like saying Sega should take note of other games (cos they’ve done it so wrong in the past) but Mania really needs to be the foundation of future games 

It's time to move on... No more Classic Sonic + Modern Sonic, or boost formula or OC's, they can even stick with the Adventure formula, I always thought that Sonic Adventure was the Super Mario 64 of the franchise. Look at the Mario games, the same gameplay with little changes, look at Sonic, I really like the way that Sonic Team changes the gameplay, even if sometimes it's not a good idea they have courage to do something new just to not stay the same. I really think it would be a great idea do a new Sonic game with modern elements with Adventure formula BUT without a "Sonic Adventure 3" on title or this edge story.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I'm mostly saying that their quality decline probably has more to do with Sonic Team's interference than anything else. 

I think Sonic Team were much more restrictive about 4, including turning what was once Sonic DL into Sonic 4 to begin with. And they’ve apparently dumped DIMPS (and Backbone) after Lost World, replacing them with Sanzaru and later PagodaWest.

25 minutes ago, Booblur99 said:

After reading about what happened between sonic team jp, sega Eoe and US, the idea of wanting this game to fail seems a lot more justified. Wow.

What happened?

I think the last game to have a bunch of $$$$ on development was Sonic Unleashed, after that, none of other Sonic games had the same investiment.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2017 at 6:28 PM, Dr. Egguman said:

I think the last game to have a bunch of $$$$ on development was Sonic Unleashed, after that, none of other Sonic games had the same investiment.

Kind of sad too. The game had a ton of high quality CGI. The graphics are still better than anything put out and that game came out nearly 10 years ago.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

13 minutes ago, Autosaver said:

Kind of sad too. The game had a ton of high quality CGI. The graphics are still better than anything put out and that game came out nearly 10 years ago.

The amount of money put into marketing, resources into the Hedgehog Engine+the application of Global Illumination(which was very new and it was one of the first games to use it so successfully) and man hours creating an entire world....Sonic World Adventure definitely deserves to hold the title of a high quality title in my opinion. Regarding my criticisms, there weren't many games like it when it came to breaking the technological boundaries in 2008.

In just that moment; Sega was back to doing what they used to when Sonic first came along. Revealing the potential of the consoles capabilities.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, speedfreak said:

Don't see the point of the HE2 since out looks almost identical to HE1. If anything Unleashed and Generations look better imo.

The Hedgehog Engine doesn't really have anything to do with the graphical design of the game if that's what you're getting at (e.g. Forces' Green Hill having boring flat terrain with minimal backdrops vs Generations's Green Hill having pretty curvy terrain with massive amounts of detailed backdrops). Unleashed and Generations definitely have far better designed backdrops and terrain, but on a technical level the HE2 is superior to the HE1.

Just check out especially the beginning of Sunset Heights for example: the reflection of the water, the global illumination from the sunset's light, and the shadows are definitely a step up from what the HE1 is capable of. And in the HE2, the lighting on terrain is actually rendered all in real-time unlike the HE1 where the majority of the lighting and shadows on the terrain were just simply pre-rendered into textures of the level, so it's much more robust.

I just wish that their actual game design team had put that much thought, time, and detail that their graphical dev team put into the Hedgehog Engine into the actual gameplay as well :(

• Thumbs Up 6

19 minutes ago, Sky The Destroyer said:

The Hedgehog Engine doesn't really have anything to do with the graphical design of the game if that's what you're getting at (e.g. Forces' Green Hill having boring flat terrain with minimal backdrops vs Generations's Green Hill having pretty curvy terrain with massive amounts of detailed backdrops). Unleashed and Generations definitely have far better designed backdrops and terrain, but on a technical level the HE2 is superior to the HE1.

Just check out especially the beginning of Sunset Heights for example: the reflection of the water, the global illumination from the sunset's light, and the shadows are definitely a step up from what the HE1 is capable of. And in the HE2, the lighting on terrain is actually rendered all in real-time unlike the HE1 where the majority of the lighting and shadows on the terrain were just simply pre-rendered into textures of the level, so it's much more robust.

I just wish that their actual game design team had put that much thought, time, and detail that their graphical dev team put into the Hedgehog Engine into the actual gameplay as well :(

I still think pouring 2 years into this engine was a waste of time, simply from a game design standpoint. What I mean by this, is the game not only encourages you to go fast, but pretty much forces you, so the likeliness that you'll get a chance to gawk at the technical marvels of the engine are pretty slim as everything goes by at blistering speeds. You pretty much have to go out of your way to slow down. Such engine would be much better suited IMO for slower paced games.

But hey, gotta keep at least the image that they are in the forefront with SOMETHING..too bad that it's only graphics that will be outdone within a year and not game design that usually has a much longer lasting impact.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

I still think pouring 2 years into this engine was a waste of time, simply from a game design standpoint. What I mean by this, is the game not only encourages you to go fast, but pretty much forces you, so the likeliness that you'll get a chance to gawk at the technical marvels of the engine are pretty slim as everything goes by at blistering speeds. You pretty much have to go out of your way to slow down. Such engine would be much better suited IMO for slower paced games.

But hey, gotta keep at least the image that they are in the forefront with SOMETHING..too bad that it's only graphics and not game design.

Well, I doubt that the graphical team has the same people as the game team, so the question becomes of what were the game team people doing during the Hedgehog Engine development time...which was apparently just a couple of years of...concepts.