Awoo.

A “Mania” for the Adventure Series?

Multikaris

Just now, Miragnarok said:

Echidna statues and hieroglyphics everywhere say otherwise. 

It's basically Regal Ruin except in the desert. And the Mystic Ruins exist.

Also, again, Eggman's base was there and there was no epic shaking upon Knuckles shattering it, with Rouge implying he had chased her to that location.

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

It's basically Regal Ruin except in the desert. And the Mystic Ruins exist.

Also, again, Eggman's base was there and there was no epic shaking upon Knuckles shattering it, with Rouge implying he had chased her to that location.

Alright, it could be Mystic Ruins instead, but still. If Mystic Ruins gets in, then we get to see those levels.

6 minutes ago, Tailikku said:

You mean something like this?

320px-SonicShuffle_HPVIEW.BIN.png

Exactly, but maybe with a thicker outline and more contrast. 

Wild Canyon had echidna statues in it. And it's not like Angel Island hasn't had Egyptian style desert in it before. If anything, it's more believable that Rouge that found her way to Angel Island and started fighting Knuckles over the ME instead of Rouge just carting it away to some far away desert. At most, it should be some land within range of AI.

8 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

This will presumably use a different team. 

Supporting dumping another set of games into a 3rd dimension is saying that Sonic Team's lazyness/unwillingness to hold Sonic to a lasting standard like Mario has is okay. I mean, the Two Worlds retcon only happened thanks to backlash against human characters like Elise and against the tone/visuals of a lot of the Adventure era also. It's the coward's path.

• Fist Bump 1

26 minutes ago, Almar said:

Wild Canyon had echidna statues in it. And it's not like Angel Island hasn't had Egyptian style desert in it before. If anything, it's more believable that Rouge that found her way to Angel Island and started fighting Knuckles over the ME instead of Rouge just carting it away to some far away desert. At most, it should be some land within range of AI.

Supporting dumping another set of games into a 3rd dimension is saying that Sonic Team's lazyness/unwillingness to hold Sonic to a lasting standard like Mario has is okay. I mean, the Two Worlds retcon only happened thanks to backlash against human characters like Elise and against the tone/visuals of a lot of the Adventure era also. It's the coward's path.

So, if the modern end crumbles, the quality continues on the Dreamcast end. And isn’t a tone and visual style like Man of the Year truer to what the series is “supposed to be”, right? And Mario’s lasting standards have started to fall apart in the 2010s...

I mean, sure, I'd love that. 

Even as someone who still enjoys the Adventure games, I don't think it'd be a good idea to bring back the alternate gameplay though. Sure, bring back the different characters to keep the spirit of playing as everyone around  so we can experience their lives once again but some other things truly are best left in the late 90s and early 2000s. 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

So, if the modern end crumbles, the quality continues on the Dreamcast end.

It encourages not trying. That's what I'm saying.

. And isn’t a tone and visual style like Man of the Year truer to what the series is “supposed to be”, right?

For the Genesis days I'd say so.

And Mario’s lasting standards have started to fall apart in the 2010s...

Eh... not really? I don't know of any extreme shifts in tone and visuals ala the Adventures to Genesis, Heroes to the Adventures, Ow the Edge and Sonic Fantasy to all before them short of Adventure 2, Unleashed being a quasi-reboot...

You can bring up the changes that were done to the Mario RPGs (namely elements from the series core being more prominent) but those are spinoffs.

Considering all the complaints 3D Sonic has gotten, I suggest that a training area for players to explore and hone their skills is in order. This area should have challenges and rewards to encourage learning the ropes of the game and keep getting better and more skilled. Rings that sporadically appear along with Chaos Drives could make it work for some quick grinding in a pinch. Maybe also a prologue stage like Mania’s Encore Mode, or Nintendo-styled Super Guide (which can only be used in certain parts of the game) function? And of course reduce the number of true death pits, rather than toss in signs like in the Modern Era.

And in addition to that cel-shaded approach I mentioned, I think maybe using pixelated textures ala Megaman Legends or Digimon World might work as an aesthetic for the game, at least as an extra to homage the pixel games of the era. Stage textures could still look photo-realistic ala Adventure. Maybe have Riders-style dithering in the shadows of the models? But would that take too much time? We could save the latter for a Riders revival/successor game, though.

And speaking of spinoffs,  I can imagine a Battle-inspired boss fight, possibly in one of the game’s own arenas. Perhaps using something akin to the Robot Carnival in Sonic Heroes. Monopole appearing, with a homage-strewn level that’s a big flashback to Riders. Shuffle could get a homage or two as well, along with perhaps Chronicles. Considering that Mania briefly references Popcorn Shop, maybe even throw in one of the old mobile/arcade games? The homage potential is endless. Perhaps, also, to other Sega games of the time, like Amazing Island, Jambo Safari, or even Condemned. 

And should we introduce a new hero character in this game? I once mentioned taking MCU inspiration for new characters, which could be better served here than in a classic game.

This guy can pull it off: The 3D Christian Whitehead, THIS is how 3D Sonic should play.

There is the natural increasing rapidity, Sonic not being heavy like a car, the physics, the drop dash, the spindash, the dangerous ennemies who are not just obstacles... You name it.

We NEED this guy to work with SEGA.

• Fist Bump 1

33 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

This guy can pull it off: The 3D Christian Whitehead, THIS is how 3D Sonic should play.

There is the natural increasing rapidity, Sonic not being heavy like a car, the physics, the drop dash, the spindash, the dangerous ennemies who are not just obstacles... You name it.

We NEED this guy to work with SEGA.

It's a great start, but I want to see how it works within an actual level environment first. Same goes for just about every other fangame engine on the market right now.  Taxman's engine was good not just because it functions but because it functions in context.

Taxman also stuck with his work. For like, 10 years. He was committed. This guy seems somewhat less interested, from the description:

Also, don't expect a release. Let's be honest, it's a Sonic fan engine, these die in months, and this one will probably suffer from the same fate.

At least all the comments are encouraging him to continue.

His engine is better than the other fan engines as well as SEGA's

• Thumbs Up 1

We just need a funded team, i say personally a return to the adventure tywe gameplay will be a good thing.

Sonic forces was ruined by the boost formula and a return to basics is a good thing.

Learn what worked and what didnt, thats how i would do it.

On 5/23/2018 at 1:14 PM, Marco9966 said:

At least all the comments are encouraging him to continue.

His engine is better than the other fan engines as well as SEGA's

And if he can build a team for the engine, then we’re likely set. Especially if a proper level is built. Just replace the Modern aesthetics with Dreamcast ones on top of that. 

And Bullet Station/Rail Canyon/ some other rail-reliant level would be very interesting with SA2 grind physics (maybe with additions from Rush and Rivals to it as well), making the level more complex and perhaps adding non-rail paths. And, could rails be used for other purposes than grinding by certain characters? Like doing flips? 

Anything to make rails a bigger part of a stage than just mostly automated objects. Non-automated versions of the storybook stages would be good too. And I agree with all the character gameplay ideas. I’d also include the Chaotix with Heroes gameplay, and Tikal with her SA2 gameplay (albeit with SA1’s Emerald detection system) as a bonus character.