Awoo.

Ghost of Tsushima (PS4, TBA date) "Sucker Punch goes full weaboo"

Teoskaven

Since noone has yet made a thread about this.
Announced at the Paris Playstation event:

https://gematsu.com/2017/10/sucker-punch-announces-ghost-tsushima-ps4

New Sony IP from Sucker Punch (creators of the Sly and inFamous franchises), it seems to center around feudal Japan during the mongolian invasion (the one where they died in a tornado, lol), with samurais, ninjas and all that good stuff.
Reminds me of the Genji games, a Sony IP as well.
Looks promising, will keep an eye on it.

• Thumbs Up 2

The setting seems really cool, but I wish we saw more gameplay than those kills at the end.

Sucker Punch is pretty hit and miss to me. Sly 1 was great, 2 was bad and 3 was decent. Infamous wasn't very good and I haven't played anything after that. I hope they can make a game that's great to me this time.

Bit of a different direction for Sucker Punch to take, but a welcome one if it plays well. I hope it plays well.

It's an interesting subject for a game to tackle, too - the Mongol invasion of Japan was famously ended before it began, by a huge storm that sank the Great Khan's fleet while it was en route across the sea. It destroyed the Khan, becoming sort of the Mongol equivalent of the Romans' Varian Disaster at Teutoberg Forest; after the battle, the Romans never again launched invasions of conquest across the Rhine. It was one of only a few occasions when we can say definitively that a weather event changed the course of history, alongside the sinking of the Spanish Armada, George Washington's fortuitously foggy weather etc.

Will we see that great storm carry the day at the end of this game (the game's island setting being the equivalent of the Nazi war machine rolling onto the British Channel Islands - the only time x people fell under y's rule), or will "storm" be used as more of a metaphor for "Samurai warrior storming all the Khan's ships"?

Also, is that Benedict Wong reprising his role as Kublai Khan from Netflix's excellent Marco Polo series? Because that show is amazing, and his performances in it were fantastic.

• 7 months later...

Seund1P.jpg

Maaaaan, this really surprised me at Sony's conference. As I said in the E3 topic, the presentation did a great job of showcasing some of the gameplay, character interactions and fantastic art direction without dragging on. It said a lot in a short space of time.