Awoo.

Would you guys want the custom character return in future sonic games?

Framerate

I think we are at the age were every sonic game may have the avatar return one or two sonic games I feel like it was hit or miss in forces I think the game should've had a hub world what do you guys think?

Yea sure whatever so long as the next mainline Sonic game is actually good and doesn't feel like a disappointment before it even comes out. 

Definitely not for the next game, there would be too much backlash if they brought back the character creator again so soon. 

Forces is the game the where Avatar serves as "friend of the week" who joins the resistance which would be You, and was added for other reasons besides "create your own Sonic OC" so I can't see a reason Buddy/Rookie whatever returning in the main series besides cameos or mentions.

If the Avatar system becomes popular, SEGA might utilize it more often in spin-offs and such.

While I don't mind the character creator coming back in another main game and being expanded, it shouldn't be a recurring element for a platform series like Sonic. 

Xenoverse 1&2 worked because they were a side series of the Dragon Ball games, if SEGA does the same thing for Sonic then go all out!

Think of it's inclusion in Forces as a special treat to those who love making characters while the actual cast becomes playable instead for future games.

• Thumbs Up 5

In the minimal chance they decide to bring back the custom character, all I ask, is do not give Modern Sonic sidescroller sections. 

Make the Avatar take Classic's place and I won't mind. Just... Stop with the 2D sections already.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm entirely neutral on it. It's another gimmick some people are going to want and other people aren't going to want back. Like the Chao Garden.

• Thumbs Up 2

No thanks. I'd prefer if the series focused on making proper use of its actual characters over such a limited self-insert mechanic.

• Thumbs Up 7

Only if they bother giving him more than one moveset to work with, because as far as a gimmick made specifically for self-inserts goes forcing every character to use a gun is kinda taking the piss.

That being said yeah, the rest of their character library should definitely be a priority right now over that.

Eh..no. It's silly and a bit pointless. 

I much rather have them focus on the characters already present. Having Shadow playable again is the right step in that direction. 

• Thumbs Up 4

No.

The Avatar isn't even a character. It's just a blank slate for the player to project onto. And it plays like garbage. 

Get rid of it and never bring it back. You want more playable characters? Maybe use an actual Sonic character for that slot instead.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

Yeah, but as a minigame sort of deal. For example, you could make a custom robot using parts you've collected in the game to fight battles online, with friends, or with AI who have their own custom robots at their disposal. I think that would be a good compromise between people who want the main campaign to focus on other members of the Sonic cast and people who like customizability in video games.

Besides, I want expanded multiplayer in Sonic again. Last time I liked a multiplayer mode in a Sonic game was Colors. That's 7 years without good multiplayer for me.

For me, personally, the inclusion of custom characters in future Sonic games would guarantee me being more excited and interested in them - character customization is what got me interested in Sonic Forces in the first place, and I can't wait to actually play the game and experience it for myself.

Maybe for spinoff games dedicated to it i'd be fine with it. Sure.

Otherwise Nope! 1 game is 1 thing... But we don't need another gimmick replacing the real characters in this series main titles again. They need to stop the multiple playable Sonics rubbish too... It's lame.

Do I want the Avatar back?  As with most people in this thread, no; I'd rather focus on Sonic's real friends, with their interesting built-in abilities and actual characterisation.

Do I think the Avatar will be back, though?  That's a different story.  Like it or not, the concept appears to have struck a chord with a lot of fans, and it ties in with the series's themes of friendship and its need to have an additional non-Boost style.  If the theory is correct about the Avatar character having started off as Boom Sonic, then if I'm honest that was actually a pretty good save (on paper; Sonic Forces is basically the definition of "good in theory, not in execution").  It all depends on how furiously Sega backpedals away from this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

If Forces sells well enough and the kids like the feature vocally enough, then maybe it will return.  As for my personal opinion on whether I want it to make a return in the next title, regardless of how much better a hypothetical title could be, all I can say is not a chance in freezing hell.  If you want a Sonic game with varied gameplay, you do the sensible thing and pluck out existing characters that fans already know and love.  Next time, Sega shouldn't let itself become that heavily influenced by DeviantArt.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nope. 

I've been against the avatar from the start. Feels so out of place for this series. Plus I don't need a slower Sonic with a gun and whip thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

No no no a thousand times no! They look like crap, seem to play like crap and they are only there to replace whatever more important character could have been playable instead (Tails or Knuckles for example). Also not keen on all the story focus they have, especially because they can’t speak and instead end up sounding like Kenny from South Park.

Maybe shoehorn the Avatar into a spin off or the next Mario & Sonic game, but PLEASE keep it as faaaar away as possible from the main series!

• Thumbs Up 3

Absolutely not. Emphatically no. I can't stress how much the custom character has bothered me, it's a direction that should not be pursued any further.

Well, since you've already done the one plot in which the Avatar makes sense, it wouldn't make sense to do again. But I think it's cute, so maybe limit to custom merchandise?

I mean that'd be equally cute, right? Buy somebody a figure of their Sonic OC? Specifically sell me a pretty goth loli bird with combat boots and a flamethrower pretty please?

Avatar specifically? No, or at least not in the main game.

But the ability to customize a character (even if cosmetics-only) would be neat to see. Like, Mario Odyssey did it, so why not give Sonic the ability to give him a hat or different gloves, or different boots

• Thumbs Up 4