Awoo.

Why.. why are you still Sonic fan?

A235

Seeing Forces's bombed, I'm suddenly concerned about why so many people "still" say Sonic Fan

After Generation's half-success, All Sonic games are bombed except mania(And even mania is plain good game, not really masterpiece) for 6 years. In addition, there is no positive news about this series. We just reiterate despair about this franchise (so called, Sonic Cycle). 

Moreover, There is a platform genre god - called Super Mario. If you want good platform genre game, Playing Mario (being fan of mario)and quit Sonic is more reasonable. 

Thus, thinking reasonable, I deduce the conclusion that there is no reason to be Sonic Fan if folks are rational. However, in reality, some people still likes Sonic. But why.. I can't account for this phenomenon. 

Are they unreasonable person? I hope that is not. So. I ask a question. Is there any "rational" reason to be a Sonic Fan? 

People have slightly more specific expectations from a Sonic game (a good Sonic game, I should myself specify) than they do from a Mario game.  In that context, it would be irrational for them to abandon Sonic for Mario if Mario lacked many of the characteristics of Sonic which they preferred.  Whether it's rational to like a modern Sonic game which also lacks many of the features which first endeared them to the series is another matter, but you have to bear in mind that it is possible to like "Sonic" in a more specific sense than just "everything which happens to have Sonic's name on it."  It's reasonable for a person to describe themselves as a Sonic fan if they've only liked a couple of games in the entire franchise; I suppose you might, if you wanted a more complete accuracy, say that describing oneself as a "Sonic fan" or "someone who likes Sonic" is really just a shorthand way of saying "[Sonic title 1] [Sonic title 2] [etc.] fan."  The existence of bad Sonic games does not deny or diminish the past existence of good Sonic games.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

26 minutes ago, FFWF said:

People have slightly more specific expectations from a Sonic game (a good Sonic game, I should myself specify) than they do from a Mario game.  In that context, it would be irrational for them to abandon Sonic for Mario if Mario lacked many of the characteristics of Sonic which they preferred.  Whether it's rational to like a modern Sonic game which also lacks many of the features which first endeared them to the series is another matter, but you have to bear in mind that it is possible to like "Sonic" in a more specific sense than just "everything which happens to have Sonic's name on it."  It's reasonable for a person to describe themselves as a Sonic fan if they've only liked a couple of games in the entire franchise; I suppose you might, if you wanted a more complete accuracy, say that describing oneself as a "Sonic fan" or "someone who likes Sonic" is really just a shorthand way of saying "[Sonic title 1] [Sonic title 2] [etc.] fan."  The existence of bad Sonic games does not deny or diminish the past existence of good Sonic games.

Ok I edited thread.

Edit : what is specific expectations from a good sonic game?? Can you give me a example?

It's possible to like Sonic as a character even if you don't like his more recent games, and I feel like that's a distinction people neglect to consider when they make threads like these. The games alone have never been the sole factor to his fandom, even if that's arguably the biggest one in most other cases.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 2

There's already a thread asking exactly this on the first page of this sub-forum. So I'mma copy-paste:

Sonic's got a terrific aesthetic, a great character design, some kicking music, and a great personality. Sonic's a very character driven franchise; that's probably a decent part of the reason many give Forces a pass, despite the level design and all that looking a bit naff. Folks are attached to him in a way that's different to say, Mario.

To be honest though; I would've probably dropped out of Sonic by now if it weren't for a certain 2D game released in August. Forces looks dire and if that was all there was to show after years of Boom shite and Lost World, I think I would've just let sleeping dogs lie. The potential for more stuff like Mania has me excited for the potential of Sonic's future though.

• Thumbs Up 5

Because Sonic 3 and Sonic Mania are very good. Also people I know make Sonic games so I wanna support them in that. I also grew up with Sonic games so I like to keep up with how the series is doing.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

because that's what it takes to be infinite

I'm still a Sonic fan because there are much more things that are appealing in Sonic besides gameplay, all the lore, the characters, the music, the comics, this wonderfull community (despite what some people say about us) this fanbase generally never fails to give me a degree of enjoyment, be with amazing fan projects, fan art, or even when someone is overly critic about an aspect of a game (i mean, just take a look at the forces discussion in this forum) even if i disagree with some of the points they make, all this arguing only exist because they care so much about the franchise and want it to succeed. So yeah, i'm still a sonic fan, because this franchise brings much more to the table than simply a good gameplay experience every two years or so.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

I still like the old games. And Mania.

That aside, I'm not really a fan of Sonic anymore - at least not in its current state.

Because plenty of the games are still good, a few bad eggs don't hurt me because it hurts them (sega) far more.

The amazing community, the PR people are very nice and do what they can despite Sega themselves making their jobs hell for no good reason. I'm pretty sure Mania was that one time where doing the PR for it was the most fun/easiest due to the fact that they had an amazing game coming out...the Denuvo happened and it made their jobs hard again...wait that's a bit off topic.

But I also want to mention that Sonic has mostly looked great through the different art styles he's been presented in, he's a fun character and just always has a fun vibe to him. Bad eggs be damned.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fuck if I know, at this point. Inertia? Masochism? Irony? The possibility of Mania 2? Probably all of the above...

Really though, at the root of it, there was something about this series that I loved that I haven't found anywhere else. It's largely dead and gone now, but I haven't been able to stop hoping it'd come back.

• Thumbs Up 6

I have probably the dumbest reason for not leaving the Sonic fandom and that is actually the Gamegrumps. I freaking love they let's plays and the Sonic related ones are always the funniest of them all. 

*Sees the phrase "Sonic Forces bombed" when the game isn't out yet* I....*Also see "All Sonic game bombed" when they are mostly subjective, and in my opinion just mediocre* wha....?? *Is a fan of Mario than Sonic, say "Mario is platform genre GOD (haha yes, very logical...)" and "You all should stop playing Sonic and play Mario" * Ok, you just don't like Sonic...You thinking Sonic sucks doesn't mean it's "illogical" that everyone else  thinks differently.

Pretty much what Remy said, people have their own joy and fondness. Just because the recent game sucks, doesn't mean you have to stop liking it. Just because they don't produce new content for years, doesn't mean you should forget it. You can still enjoy the part you liked, and look forward to something good. Or not be active in the fandom, and still call yourself a fan.

Also, why are there two of the same topic? Is there a anti-Sonic movement trending?

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm still in love with Sonic cuz... he's was my childhood hero, I'm really love the franchise and see a lot of potential here, there's litterally nothing holding me, Sonic Team was gave me one more reason to leave but I don't want to. I really hope something cool happen and Sonic (at least, modern Sonic) have a good comeback and stay good for a while (more than 2 years *coff* *coff* 2010-2011). I'm 19 years old right now, next year 20, then 21, and 22, 23... And I know that I'll be playing Sonic. Just love the gameplay, not a blind fan, but I love.

Because overtime i got emotionally attached to this franchise thanks to all the childhood memories and as a result want it to do well. i guess its like supporting a really bad football team you know they arent very good but you still stick around and hope they win even after they lose over and over again.

45 minutes ago, Korke said:

Being a Sonic fan does not mean being a ST fan. Most are attached to its world.

Honestly, that's a very good way to put it.

I like Sonic. I despise Sonic Team in its current iteration.

The Sonic franchise has been handled well by other people: Taxman, Ian Flynn, etc. have done competent things with this world and its characters that Sonic Team hasn't come close to doing in years.

• Thumbs Up 4

As many people would love to argue, it's the style over substance. These games right down to the core are all about flash. 

As the series went on, it became even more evident that this was the case when the introduced more set pieces in Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 and streamlined the level design to give it a natural flow. Sure the platforming was never impressive, but the game wasn't really about just platforming. It's a series where you need to grasp the controls, level memorization and physics to pull great feats to go even faster. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Because I love the games, even the ones that others don’t seem to like! I’ve been a Sonic fan for quite some time now, and there’s no way I’m giving up on the series now.

Ugh I'm sick of seeing questions like this. I mentioned it in a similar topic a few months back but I like this series because I'm able to glean fun from many games in it, and contrary to the majority opinion I actually think there's still a lot to love about it with plenty of good games to be found, other people's opinions be damned. That's why I'm still a fan of Sonic, besides me liking the character himself.

I don't need anyone to tell me what I should and shouldn't like, and I don't need to find a rational reason to enjoy anything beyond just enjoying it. If that seems irrational...frankly I couldn't give a shit.

Honestly, if people like something and their enjoyment of it isn't hurting anybody, who cares?

• Thumbs Up 2

The op kinda seemes like one of those people on youtube comments who attacks someone because they're a Sonic fan.

They're Sonic fans, you're not. We shouldn't have to explain ourselves for liking something. Or be treated like we're lesser than anyone else. And the "being treated like we're lesser" part seems to happen an awful lot. 

I mean, a LOT of people get pretty upset at people that are Sonic fans- I mean, it's a video game franchise and they like it. Yes, end of the world, I know. 

I mean, there are other real world problems that are worth getting upset about.