Awoo.

Sonic Forces Reviews Thread

Apollo Chungus

14 minutes ago, Apollo Chungus said:

Welp, the first Sonic Forces review has finally gone up, so it's time for this thread to begin. Post more reviews as they come in, and I'll put 'em up here.

Polygon - 5/10

Wow, such rating exceeds even my (worst) expectations. Pun entirely intended.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

I feel pretty sad. Forces seemed to have a lot of ideas and potential with the Avatar and for some reason, Sega of EU and US seemed to hate it. I don't know when this was stated during development or when they had to change direction.. but I'd rather see a game I dislike that executes it's vision well instead of a forced game I dislike fail everywhere else.

I'm sure the game's gonna get a mixed bag of reviews. Huh, you can't please everybody. I, and a lot others are still gonna enjoy this game regardless of what reviews say. Plus, isn't it too early to start jumping to conclusions?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

20 minutes ago, Apollo Chungus said:

Welp, the first Sonic Forces review has finally gone up, so it's time for this thread to begin. Post more reviews as they come in, and I'll put 'em up here.

Polygon - 5/10

Guess we should also add in the Famitsu review?

I mean despite it being positive, which I can tell,  doesn't sit too happily with a lot of folk here,  it is still a review of the game after all.

• Thumbs Up 4

This doesn’t surprise me. I bet scores will continue to range between 5 and 7.5. The game looks like a slog to get through, and the recent release of Mania as an appetizer is going to make this entree taste even worse.

SEGA please learn from this debacle. 

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, Spooky Mulder said:

This doesn’t surprise me. I bet scores will continue to range between 5 and 7.5. The game looks like a slog to get through, and the recent release of Mania as an appetizer is going to make this entree taste even worse.

SEGA please learn from this debacle. 

Sega won't learn from this Forever. 

Just now, Polkadi said:

ONE REVIEW says it's poor. Literally only one review, out of two reviews.

Please wait until we get more reviews that say Sonic Forces is poor before stroking your confirmation bias. Otherwise, you look desperate.

Why would I be desperate for something that I already know is going to happen?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

Can't say I'm surprised, I saw this coming months ago, and I'm really sad that I was right.

Granted, this is only the first review and it's from Polygon, so I still have hope.

Btw, Polygon gave Mania a 7/10 and Lost World a 6/10, so...yeah...

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

Guess we should also add in the Famitsu review?

I mean despite it being positive, which I can tell,  doesn't sit too happily with a lot of folk here,  it is still a review of the game after all.

Just done that there. Thank you for reminding me! :)

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Speedi said:

Why would I be desperate for something that I already know is going to happen?

Well,  I mean,  we've got one positive review and one mixed review so far.  Heck the polygon review itself is surprisingly rather polite and does admit that some people can get enjoyment out of the game. 

I mean,  looking beyond the score,  the review doesn't even really speak gloom and doom so much as it is urging Sonic Team to do better at many of the aspects. 

I'm not quite sure if that's what you predicted,  unless you're merely talking about the score and none of the actual review content.  *Shrug*

• Thumbs Up 4

I expected Sonic Forces to get scores between 5 and 6. But it's quite pleasing to see the actual low review scores come to light. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe it's just because I've been spoiled with reviews like Matthew mitosis, but until I read a review that actually goes step-by-step through the game and breaks down what makes it good and what makes it bad... I don't think I can just take something at face value without playing it

Polygon nailed the review. They covered a lot of the concerns the fanbase has with Forces. I hope the other reviewers follow suit with plenty of 5/10's.

"Sonic Forces was reviewed using a retail copy for Nintendo Switch purchased by Polygon." So whoever reviewed Forces also bought a copy from a retailer which broke street-date. Lmao.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 2

10 minutes ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

I feel pretty sad. Forces seemed to have a lot of ideas and potential with the Avatar and for some reason, Sega of EU and US seemed to hate it. I don't know when this was stated during development or when they had to change direction.. but I'd rather see a game I dislike that executes it's vision well instead of a forced game I dislike fail everywhere else.

Yeah I just wish they went on with their original Sonic Forces ideas, atleast we'd have a much more focused game. (And to be honest I don't really mind the avatar being the primary character since he plays similarely to modern Sonic).

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

ONE REVIEW says it's poor. Literally only one review, out of two reviews.

Please wait until we get more reviews that say Sonic Forces is poor before stroking your confirmation bias. Otherwise, you look desperate.

I went through the review closely and they just summarized what many were talking about. Good visuals and Avatar and other things are mostly not really interesting, with few truly minor exceptions.

Also: if it matters, the writer who reviewed Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces are not the same person.

Might not be a good idea to try to use Polygon's review of another Sonic game as a measure of validity.

• Thumbs Up 8

4 minutes ago, Sr101 said:

The Joy people are expressing over this review is venomous. This is a Sonic fan site, not an echo chamber of hate

We are joyous about it because we want Sonicteam to try harder. All the little superficial fan service isn't going to cut it. I would hope this backlash continues until they actually get down to making another quality Sonic game. They need to stop trying to cover up their lies and incompetence and do something right.

• Thumbs Up 7