Awoo.

Sonic Forces Reviews Thread

Apollo Chungus

16 minutes ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

Wait, you want the thread to be venomous?

He was agreeing that this is a Sonic fan site and that as fans we should want the games to be the best they can be, which in fact necessitates negative feedback to some extent. That's not the same as wanting the topic (or forum) to be "venomous."

8 minutes ago, Sr101 said:

Wasn't hurt by it's reviews because they were universally positive. So there was no reason to claim that reviews don't matter, since the reviews wouldn't have any negative effect anyway

cb31d30ce8e75b101ee74e10d8da3071.gif

So...basically what you're saying is that Mania got good reviews, so it wasn't negatively affected, but bad reviews could negatively affect this game? Kind of obvious.

...Wait, who said that the reviews don't matter?

EDIT:

1 minute ago, Sr101 said:

Right, that's my point. There was no reason to say "reviews don't matter" when mania came out. That's what I'm trying to say, re: people on twitter and such claiming that we are just now claiming reviews dont matter 

Oh, okay.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

10 minutes ago, Celestia said:

He was agreeing that this is a Sonic fan site and that as fans we should want the games to be the best they can be, which in fact necessitates negative feedback to some extent. That's not the same as wanting the topic (or forum) to be "venomous."

So...basically what you're saying is that Mania got good reviews, so it wasn't negatively affected, but bad reviews could negatively affect this game? Kind of obvious.

...Wait, who said that the reviews don't matter?

Internet isn't good. That was meant to be a joke in my edit. Apologies Dio...

2 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Same. I spend a solid 5 minutes trying to figure out what this meant. Not worth it.

1 hour ago, Polkadi said:

ONE REVIEW says it's poor. Literally only one review, out of two reviews.

Please wait until we get more reviews that say Sonic Forces is poor before stroking your confirmation bias. Otherwise, you look desperate.

Yeah I agree. Although when I first saw the review, my thoughts were "Well, this wasn't unexpected", I still thought it'd be best to wait for more reviews to see what the majority thinks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Four pages just about 1 review. From the same company who gave Mania a 7.

Lol guys let’s wait a bit before jumping to conclusions just yet. 

Neither review is indicative of how Forces will be perceived. But anyone would be foolish to expect it to score close to Mania at all.

Edit: For the record - I want Sega to actually break down that wall of stubbornness with these games and follow the quality and fun found in a game made by fans...

4 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

Bring on the bad reviews, I say. Let this be a mistake Sonic Team will never forget.

I don't think they will learn from this game's epic failure. They have repeated their mistake since SLW

I think there is no hope for this series. So, I think giving up like megaman is best choice. 

Am I only one who thought like this?

1 hour ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

I feel pretty sad. Forces seemed to have a lot of ideas and potential with the Avatar and for some reason, Sega of EU and US seemed to hate it. I don't know when this was stated during development or when they had to change direction.. but I'd rather see a game I dislike that executes it's vision well instead of a forced game I dislike fail everywhere else.

As someone who is not even the slightest bit interested in the avatar gameplay for my personal tastes in a Sonic game, I agree that the avatar has potential in the franchise. Not for the main games, no, but definitely as a spin-off thing. I would definitely think about ways to develop a side series that is a bit more in depth and polishes out the gameplay and story aspects.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

On 11/5/2017 at 5:24 PM, Polkadi said:

ONE REVIEW says it's poor. Literally only one review, out of two reviews.

On 11/5/2017 at 5:39 PM, Polkadi said:

Our first review was positive, then the very next review is mixed. You then forget the positive review exists and cling to this one review, because the score it got appeals to your opinion of the game.

Famitsu giving a game developed in Japan a 35/40 is the equivalent of an IGN "literally unplayable, 4/10, GoTY" grade for a modern military shooter.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

5 minutes ago, SaberX said:

I wouldn't say competently made. The game is basically a rehash...and in a bad way.

I say competently made because it doesn't appear to be broken. 

1 minute ago, A235 said:

I don't think they will learn from this game's epic failure. They have repeated their mistake since SLW

I think there is no hope for this series. So, I think giving up like megaman is best choice. 

Am I only one who thought like this?

Disagree. Megaman games were good, and Capcom just stopped making them.

Sonic games do have hope on the 2D front at least, if we can keep getting games of Mania's quality. I wouldn't expect anything good from Sonic Team themselves, at least not until a massive restructuring of the company takes place.

• Thumbs Up 9

The polygon review was fair as fuck

Like legit, like every word like " yeah that makes sense, I cannot argue with the points presented. I could do a bit with the need to bring up deviant art or whatever, but ... its yeah. Its a game that's super safe, and doesn't really challege the player, and the interesting parts don't get expanded upon, it just kinda exists " 

7 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

I mean,  theirs is a more casual less in depth look at the game and that's fine,  but vilifying negative reviews for how others view them is also frowned upon and retaliated against,  so he could've maybe worded in less of a buzz word manner and actually state the point?

And again,  considering the trends which have been a thing around here lately to the point where people have been dealt strikes,  suspended or even banned with behavior towards others stemming from hatred of the game, such an inkling isn't hard to come by for a very good reason, coming from staff or not. 

Um, no. Established board rules and the rules of this sub-forum can best be summed up with "don't be nasty to each other." That doesn't extend to saying a review outlet's scores are useless. That is nothing against members of these forums, and we are not here to be sicced on someone's low opinion of Famitsu just because you don't like how he came off. You should probably look at why certain members were struck/banned because it's not because they hate the game.

12 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Um, no. Established board rules and the rules of this sub-forum can best be summed up with "don't be nasty to each other." That doesn't extend to saying a review outlet's scores are useless. That is nothing against members of these forums, and we are not here to be sicced on someone's low opinion of Famitsu just because you don't like how he came off. You should probably look at why certain members were struck/banned because it's not because they hate the game.

Oh I know the reasons why they got punished,  what I'm saying is that a notable trend in such behavior has also seen plenty of indirect jabs which has led to some people mis-comprehending the tones,  not helped by the internet's lack of help conveying such at tegar. 

That said,  I never once reported him for that comment, heck,  I haven't even "sicced" the mods on anyone for a reason so petty. So I find it passive aggressive towards certain people? Maybe, but I've not seen it worth reporting to the mods. I mean, no disrespect,  but please don't accuse me of such. 

I think the polygon review was good except for its assumption that fans will enjoy Forces more. Um, no, the story is a big wet piece of shit if you're familiar with the characters, and the whole create-a-character thing would've been relevant maybe 10 years ago. 

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:
  Hide contents

Sonic 06 was a failure that they never forgot, yet they still learned nothing.

Rather, they learned the wrong lesson.

The problem wasn't having multiple playable characters/stories. The problem was them controlling like garbage.

Rather than improve what they were doing, they just decided to go scorched-earth on their gameplay style and turn Sonic from a 3D platformer into a weird platformer/racing game hybrid. So who knows how they'll respond if Forces bombs?

• Thumbs Up 2

Good as far as I'm concerned. Learn from this Sonic Team. It sucks  seeing this but if we're gonna get more then stiff blocky 2D automated gameplay from these reviews then I'm all for it 

• Thumbs Up 7

10 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:
  Hide contents

Sonic 06 was a failure that they never forgot, yet they still learned nothing.

Sega hasn't learned anything since Sonic's conception. They rushed games during the past and they still do today, even if it's just a little.

Sega also of doing a dirty trick of selling Sonic 3 at full price upon release(despite it being half a game) from what I looked up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

Sega hasn't learned probably since Sonic's conception. They rushed games during the past and they still do today.

Yep, that means, they don't have ability to make good sonic games.

2 minutes ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

Sega hasn't learned probably since Sonic's conception. They rushed games during the past and they still do today.

Although back then they at least had competent developers and people with a generally clear vision for the franchise to compensate, even if the execution needed refining. Now all they have is a bunch of tired old hasbeens surrounded by novice designers, and no idea of what to actually do with Sonic, with only a few people knowing what to do but not in any position to do anything about it.

• Thumbs Up 9

The review itself doesn’t feel finished, but agree with everything said. This is completely opposite of what happened with Unleashed’s IGN review.

Surprised to see Classic Sonic’s gameplay wasn’t mentioned much at all in it. Was mainly focused on Modern Sonic/Avatar’s gameplay styles and the tone of story. 

It isn’t harsh, all the positive and negative points are fair and very true based on everything shown.

• Thumbs Up 8