Awoo.

Sonic Forces Reviews Thread

Apollo Chungus

10 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Damn, first a 5/10 now a 4/10? This is even worse than I expected!

Who gave it a 4?

Oh wait TSSZ, I see what you did.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

For better or worse, a good portion of the fanbase prioritize the lore and setting over the game. It's been a thing since Adventure started to emphasize those elements more.

And to me, it will be disastrous if SEGA and Sonic Team do not act accordingly, and create a side series for these sort of fans while the main games regain focus on establsihing excellent gameplay (and a bit of internal restructuring with a sonic Team as well). Because Sonic will never do great again otherwise. Diehard Modern sonic fans may be okay with the games bring mediocre as long as they get their favorite character and heavy story but the mainstream has never been okay with that. Which is why we are, where we are. I'm actually getting tired of hearing myself say it but at the as same time I'm floored that SEGA hasn't figured this out yet.

• Thumbs Up 4

I have a feeling the TSSZ review is gonna be blamed on the Switch version as a scapegoat.

Also I wouldn't say strong story, I would say it's the most interesting story we have had in years. It's far more interesting than everything post unleashed. Now does that make it good or better than those stories post unleashed? Well that's a matter of opinion. I'd say I was far more interested in this story, but I wouldn't say it's more competently made than the others. I'd say the stories post unleashed (Not Gens) were more competently put together, but there really is hardly much to remember or talk about them in my opinion. Nothing for me at least to even really care about.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Can the OP keep the first page updated with scores and the meta critic/ open critic data as and when it comes in.

Edit: Not saying DO IT RIGHT NOW BOY. would be nice if we could get that. Also help out the OP. But any new scores from the previous page as close to the top as possible.

Will do that there. Sorry about that. I originally posted this thread really late last night, and had college for most of the day, so I've only been able to work on it just now. Thanks for reminding me to do that! :)

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

Together we can show the world what we can do

It isn't very much, what else is new

Blow through hallways until the stage is won

Fanbase gonna give the sales to us

Once again we're gonna violate their trust 

Fandom divided

Don't get excited 

Mania... shares our crucial flaw

Their villains... are no deeper than ours 

And there I ponder... where is Amy?

And just for Mario, Oddysey has those too! 

• Chuckle 2

2 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Together we can show the world what we can do

It isn't very much, what else is new

Blow through hallways until the stage is won

Fanbase gonna give the sales to us

Once again we're gonna violate their trust 

Fandom divided

Don't get excited 

In this situation.

We learned a big lesson

There is no hope for 3D Sonic.

Just abandon it for fans, folks and investors

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

TSSZ review is up. Contains some mild spoilers, apparently.

Score:

Reveal hidden contents

Chaos from Sonic Adventure appears in one cutscene and, in the base game at least, is never seen again.

What

Looking more likely to be in the 60-70 range, just a prediction based on these newer reviews. 

Most likely in the 60s purely on the very divided opinions. 

I think Sega won’t make a game like this for a good while again. Hope they go back to the drawing board and follow Mabia’s success

Gotta say, these first scores were slightly lower than what I expected, but it's kinda hard to see fault in them when the formula hasn't really evolved all that much since Unleashed.

About the only strong point is the story and it not glitching like Sonic 06, but the former could hae been done way better than what we got. At the very least, it's about as competently narrated as Colors and Lost World are on there side of the tone spectrum--you can take that part as you want, as it's neither a good or bad thing in itself than it is showing how lacking it is in the same vein. (Man, I miss the Archie comics even more already...)

35 minutes ago, Carbo said:

What

You familiar with this movie?

Reign_of_Fire_Soundtrack_Cover.jpg

That's Reign of Fire, a movie in which dragons have taken over the world and almost wiped out humanity. It's an ok film... but... during it's marketing, they used that image to promote the film and the trailer made it look like it would be helicopter gunships Vs Dragons.

See how the poster also shows the houses of parliament being set on fire? 

Well... the reality of the film is this...

Spoiler

The film is set primarily decades after the dragons have taken over... there is one seen set before the apocalypse, which is set underground, there are helicopters and tanks... they never battle dragons. We never see parliament blown up, we never see anything depicted in the poster... It's completely misleading.

Thats the case for Chaos in this game.

Spoiler

The trailer makes it out as if he's going to be a major villain, the press release also says the same... the reality is... he appears once... then never appears again, you never fight him, you never defeat him... he just wanders off... until the final revelation about the villains.

Chaos in this game, is akin to the promotion for the movie Reign of Fire.

• Thumbs Up 8

23 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Gotta say, these first scores were slightly lower than what I expected, but it's kinda hard to see fault in them when the formula hasn't really evolved all that much since Unleashed.

About the only strong point is the story and it not glitching like Sonic 06, but the former could hae been done way better than what we got. At the very least, it's about as competently narrated as Colors and Lost World are on there side of the tone spectrum--you can take that part as you want, as it's neither a good or bad thing in itself than it is showing how lacking it is in the same vein. (Man, I miss the Archie comics even more already...)

Colors was a mistake to use the boost formula when it didn't fit. So 1+ for regressing the formula.

Generations did some good with certain levels and the design of them but majorly fucked up the physics. It didn't push the series forward but showed some nice improvement. But Seaside Hill can't be the saving grace. After that; The boost design never saw more of it's ful potential.

I still stand by that Unleashed had the best use of it although it is hell for casual players. Sonic Unleashed definitely isn't as casual play as it is today.

• Thumbs Up 1

Weird how the date thing works against even media outlets, it's out for sale legally here in NZ today, yet Gamexplain can't show footage as it's not "legally" out over there. Yet the internet being what it is, people could watch me streaming Forces now due to it being legally available here, but Gamexplain can't upload footage, seems silly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Amazing how the first game to use the boost style gameplay is still the best, and every subsequent boost game since then has gotten progressively worse. How can Sonic Team be so dense that they can't grasp the simple concept of "focus on what works, discard what doesn't"?

• Fist Bump 1

9 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Amazing how the first game to use the boost style gameplay is still the best, and every subsequent boost game since then has gotten progressively worse. How can Sonic Team be so dense that they can't grasp the simple concept of "focus on what works, discard what doesn't"?

if you mean Sonic Unleashed, I'd personally argue that Generations did it better since the level design was improved a bit (for example, I felt that game actually used a bit more real 3D platforming) and the drift works better too.

But Forces definitely is the worst than Unleashed and Forces, and you point still holds true. I think you could say that about classic sonic physics. 

• Thumbs Up 3

37 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Ehh, that seems like quite the assumption on their end.

I actually remember him saying "Sonic fans are probably gonna have a good time I think, but you'll be constantly thinking 'Man, why isn't this as good as Generations?'" 

1 hour ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

How exactly is Sonic Unleashed better than Sonic Generations? Not attacking you for your opinion, but genuinely curious.

2 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Because:

1) They did that in later games, and they barely improved for it for various reasons. And...

2) They've hardly build upon what does work to make it better, resulting in something stale

Pretty sure there's more, but discarding what doesn't work isn't really the problem here at this point. Even considering pointless additions like the Avatar character.