Awoo.

Sonic Forces Reviews Thread

Apollo Chungus

7 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Amazing how the first game to use the boost style gameplay is still the best, and every subsequent boost game since then has gotten progressively worse. How can Sonic Team be so dense that they can't grasp the simple concept of "focus on what works, discard what doesn't"?

If you're referring to Colors and Forces I may agree to disagree, but Generations was a big improvement in controls and level design. I had a better time in the Unleashed Project than the original.

Even the Adventure formula had gotten progressively worse.

5 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

How exactly is Sonic Unleashed better than Sonic Generations? Not attacking you for your opinion, but genuinely curious.

Most people who cite Unleashed as the best enjoy it's challenge, fleshed out sense of world and narrative (compared to Generations), and, if you didn't hate the Werehog, it was a much meatier experience and longer game.  Even ignoring the Werehog, once you include DLC, it has a ton of daytime content compared to Generations.

• Thumbs Up 3

This is just reminding me that I want to give Unleashed another shot, because I remember the only real sore point for me was the werehog taking up way too much time and basically being poor man's God of War with shitty frame rate. But man those daytime stages were good.

• Fist Bump 1

15 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

This is just reminding me that I want to give Unleashed another shot, because I remember the only real sore point for me was the werehog taking up way too much time and basically being poor man's God of War with shitty frame rate. But man those daytime stages were good.

It wasn't that close to GOW and I don't know why others say it is, other than the quicktime events. The werehog has more beat em up/Arcade style to him and actually has combat depth unlike GOW. Plus, he can traverse platforms much much better than Kratos could the more you leveled up his combat status. Kratos was very very stiff and worked in a linear fashion.

I suggest looking up speedrunning videos of the werehog to get a better idea(probably already have).

The Framerate was fixed up a bit in the patched DLC bundles(which includes the overall game patch). 

8 hours ago, Typical said:

if you mean Sonic Unleashed, I'd personally argue that Generations did it better since the level design was improved a bit (for example, I felt that game actually used a bit more real 3D platforming) and the drift works better too.

But Forces definitely is the worst than Unleashed and Forces, and you point still holds true. I think you could say that about classic sonic physics. 

Drift doesn't use real physics based on your momentum or turning movement. It works akin to Mario Cart's drift...

They couldn't find a way to improve it so they removed the actual physics of it. Changing this is almost the equivalent of giving Sonic Dash Dancing because he can't turn left or right as smoothly.

And Generations used....Less 3D platforming. Classic Sonic is all 2D, Modern Sonic also has a lot of 2D stages implemented with them.

Oh...Planet Wisp<_<

12 minutes ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

It wasn't that close to GOW and I don't know why others say it is, other than the quicktime events. The werehog has more beat em up/Arcade style to him and actually has combat depth unlike GOW. Plus, he can traverse platforms much much better than Kratos could the more you leveled up his combat status. Kratos was very very stiff and worked in a linear fashion.

I suggest looking up speedrunning videos of the werehog to get a better idea(probably already have).

The Framerate was fixed up a bit in the patched DLC bundles(which includes the overall game patch). 

Fair enough, it's been like ten almost ten years since I've played either Unleashed or a GoW game, I just recall that's often how they're compared. I still remember having zero fun with those sections of the game, finding the platforming in them to be super clunky, the performance to be poor, and the combat just not being very fun at all. You can fix the performance in a patch but the rest of it just did nothing for me, and was actively frustrating to engage with in places. As much as I'm willing to give Unleashed another go, it's not at all to do with the night stages, I just want to take a crack at the daytime ones and see if they're as good as I remember.

9 minutes ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

• Chuckle 3

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

And I'm the one that played these games back on the PS2. The Unwiished is inferior so I will agree that it's closer to a GOW knock off.

Well now...While there are some similarities...I still suggest watching actual speedrun plays of the Werehog. A litte more than Half of this stuff in the comparison video is actually common within other platformers and other action titles.  Destroy all enemies until you progress? Ristar had that back in the 90's.  Pushing a Stone Block to reach higher platforms? Sonic 1, Dynamite Headdy etc. Stronger power up gauge? One too many games had that too lol. Guarding? Universal. 

Can't defend that stupid door lifting or switch pulling. Always thought both were dumb(at least Sonic was faster at it).

But thanks for the video.

Werehog is an amalgamation of many things in all honesty.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

You know how when Sega didn't send out review codes because they feared bad reviews.

Well now they have a daily drip feed of mediocrity instead of one sudden shock to get it over with.

I know what I think looks worse.

People are just gonna say "See guys, it wasn't terrible. So therefore the game is fine l"

" Hearing Knuckles and Amy talk about how he has been tortured for six months by Eggman."

After seeing how the story and writing turned out, I'm fairly certain what the writers meant by 'torture' never amounted to more than Sonic being forced to watch Eggman eat chili dogs and never recieve a bite.

• Chuckle 5

Seeing the negative reviews does suck, yeah... but I'm still going to play the game for myself, as I tend to find things that the general consensus considers terrible to be 'just fine' most of the time.

Plus, the character customization has always been the main draw of this game for me, and that still looks like a whole lot of fun to me.

Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more positive reviews. -nods-

Digital Foundry analysis.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-sonic-forces-focuses-on-ps4-with-clear-issues-elsewhere

Switch version is noticeably the worst and should be avoided.

Xbox one X version is technically the best, but this is only due to selective boost resolution. PS4 version is more constantly better and is clear that it was the one Sega made the game for.

Pro and Xbox X enhancements are barely noticeable.

Overall impressions of the game:  The game is a complete let down, stages lack elegance and feel like it was made using a block tool. It should have been better.

• Thumbs Up 9

14 hours ago, KHCast said:

Ehh, that seems like quite the assumption on their end.

It’s their opinion, I don’t think it’s much of an assumption seeing it has the same style of gameplay. 

Well, I just realized that the Forces story is essentially the same as the Lost World (apart from having "conquered" the world and 6 months)

Lost World... Eggman created Extractor... Deadly Six got hold of it (Sonic let them out of Eggman´s orders)... At the end, Eggman uses the power from the Extractor for the robot being Final Boss essentially identical to Sonic Colors´ one.

Forces... Eggman created Phantom Ruby... Infinite (Jackal) got hold of it voluntarily, not betraying Eggman... At the end, Eggman gives a big "fuck you" to Infinite after his 3rd fail and uses Phantom Ruby to power robot being the Final Boss with last phase being identical to the Colors´ and Lost World´s Final Boss.

Yeah, no creativity at all. You are doing good Sonic Team.

2 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

People are just gonna say "See guys, it wasn't terrible. So therefore the game is fine l"

Honestly I feel a lot better saying that I like a mediocre game than a straight up terrible one.

Reviews aren't as high as I'd hoped but they also aren't as low as I feared, so... Eh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hobby Consolas has given their review of the game, a score of 57 (average)

They liked Sonic's friends and villains being in the game, the homages of classic levels and the ability to customise the avatar. Dislike that the controls aren't precise and that it happened on more than one occasion, plus they found it short and really really easy. They even say that the game is very good for kids but Sonic Team needs to learn from their mistakes.

• Thumbs Up 8

The meta critic user reviews are mostly masterpieces with amazing insight on the game. I'm sure everyone can enjoy them.

• Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

Digital Foundry analysis.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-sonic-forces-focuses-on-ps4-with-clear-issues-elsewhere

Switch version is noticeably the worst and should be avoided.

Xbox one X version is technically the best, but this is only due to selective boost resolution. PS4 version is more constantly better and is clear that it was the one Sega made the game for.

Pro and Xbox X enhancements are barely noticeable.

Overall impressions of the game:  The game is a complete let down, stages lack elegance and feel like it was made using a block tool. It should have been better.

Actually watching the video the xb1x was the best and technically outshines the pro clearly both in look being close to 4k and running the fastest also stating the pro only hit 1080p. The game was said to be half backed and while it was not as good as it should have been there were segments he really enjoyed but we're short

9 hours ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

Drift doesn't use real physics based on your momentum or turning movement. It works akin to Mario Cart's drift...

They couldn't find a way to improve it so they removed the actual physics of it. Changing this is almost the equivalent of giving Sonic Dash Dancing because he can't turn left or right as smoothly.

And Generations used....Less 3D platforming. Classic Sonic is all 2D, Modern Sonic also has a lot of 2D stages implemented with them.

Oh...Planet Wisp<_<

I am aware that the drift isn't "realistic", but this is a Sonic game, it doesn't have to be realistic in every single aspect, especially if the "realism" may change how the game is. We're talking about a blue hedgehog that runs on two legs, can accelerate incredibly fast, and even side step while remaining the same top speed.  I prefer it in Generations since I felt like it gave the player more control in the actual stages.

My point wasn't that Unleashed had less 3D sections, my point was I personally found that the 3D sections in Generations actually made better use of  3D platforming compared to Unleashed, despite how much Generations incorporated the 3D sections into the Modern Sonic stages, or the game itself.

If you're bringing Classic Sonic into the discussion, I could also say the Werehog stages are even less relevant, since the games literally goes from a platformer to a Beat 'em up with some crazy puzzles thrown in. But that's the past the point, both games have a somewhat equal split between Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic/Werehog, so we're just talking about the Modern Sonic stages (and which game had used the boost mechanic best - exclusive to modern sonic)

Those are just my two pennies' worth though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Soniman said:

>worst sonic soundtrack since Chronicles 

Everything else is mostly agreeable but.... Really? Lol

I'd say so. This is terrible.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2