Jump to content
Apollo Chungus

Sonic Forces Reviews Thread

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

I wanted to give this game a fair chance. I really did. But the PC port is so terrible I can't even try, so I've already requested a refund.

Probably just the DRM doing its job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Booblur99 said:

Maybe someone could modernize somehow on youtube.

Maybe they'll have a remix of it on the OST similarly to the Splash Hill Medley on the Sonic 4 OST: "Here's a cool version of the song that we should have used in the game instead of the lame original version..oh well."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sonikko said:

 

I'd say so. This is terrible.

I’m conflicted. Taken on its own, its a pretty nice track of decent length and multiple melodies. It captures the feel of most Genesis games, though not Genesis Sonic games specifically. However, when I try to imagine hearing this playing over the 3D graphics the game has... it’s laughable. How Sega thought such a disconnect between visuals and audio was acceptable is beyond me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

How low can you go!? How low can you go!? 3/10 let's go!

https://lastlifeclub.com/review/sonic-forces-review/

Quote

As usual for a modern Sonic game, there are far too many of his scattered menagerie chipping in with advice when the vast majority of them would be more appealing as roadkill

Ah, "Sonic's shitty friends".. long time, no see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

The Classic music is all naff sounding faux chip tunes.

The modern music is the grating S4 synth out the wazoo.

The avatar music includes a few good vocal tracks.

Fiat Bump is God awful.

It kind of is the worst soundtrack since Chronicles. That's not saying it's bad, because Sonic soundtracks are generally really good. This is just below par.

There is also the ROL soundtrack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Soniman said:

Why do we always come after critics for this when more often then not the fans dislike their portrayl just as much if not more in these recent games?

When they’ve been doing  the same even when they are well-portrayed, when we are extremely starved to have them back, and when they make hypocritical exceptions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

How low can you go!? How low can you go!? 3/10 let's go!

https://lastlifeclub.com/review/sonic-forces-review/

Ah, right so we tear apart the Famitsu review because of various reasons as to why it is illegitimate, but a review that not only is clearly on the Sonic hate train with lines like Sonic and his entourage should just go away to stop the pro-longed suffering of his fanbase, the meme that is "lool sonic's shitty pals" and points that is flat out bullshit (Even a downgraded port like the Switch version, Colours doesn't hold a light against it's graphics).

Yeah, I'm not taking this review seriously. I could take something like Polygon's seriously because that one was well written and spoke a ton about legitimate criticisms of the game as well as some positive. This review is really clearly jumping into this game with the mindset that anything related to this franchise downright sucks ass and should've died long ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Why do we always come after critics for this when more often then not the fans dislike their portrayl just as much if not more in these recent games?

Because we want them to better. These kinds of critics just want them dead so they can be smug about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Ah, right so we tear apart the Famitsu review because of various reasons as to why it is illegitimate, but a review that not only is clearly on the Sonic hate train with lines like Sonic and his entourage should just go away to stop the pro-longed suffering of his fanbase, the meme that is "lool sonic's shitty pals" and points that is flat out bullshit (Even a downgraded port like the Switch version, Colours doesn't hold a light against it's graphics).

Yeah, I'm not taking this review seriously. I could take something like Polygon's seriously because that one was well written and spoke a ton about legitimate criticisms of the game as well as some positive. This review is really clearly jumping into this game with the mindset that anything related to this franchise downright sucks ass and should've died long ago.

Actually, I'm thinking they just gave Forces a negative review because it's a bit shite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Despite the fact that the "constantly chirping in" dialogue isn't even that distracting in-game? Alright, that can be rather subjective, but it's hardly the point of they need to die and should've died long ago. Yeah, improvements should happen with these characters but just going "yeah they should die" is hardly reasoning enough, especially when one of the reasons people have disliked the stories for the past few years is the sheer fact is focused on a limited portion of the cast and gave them little to no time to shine. 

And perhaps Colours looked better at certain points, but consistently? Yeah, I'm going to have to agree to disagree. Even with the fact I've only seen gameplay of the Switch version, it looks better to me than what Colours cranked out. Not to say Colours looked bad by any means, for Wii graphics, it's actually rather quite impressive, especially with stuff like Sonic's model and such having such a resemblance to Unleashed HD's model. But frankly, I can't see these graphics as worse than Colours. Even as a downgraded port, a lot of the visuals from what I've seen still look pretty great.

I will apologise for the hate everything comment though, I was busy so I had to skim read the article, missing the compliments to further games and the fact this was primarily focused on the Switch port, which could cause a lot more negativity in terms of the game in general. It doesn't change the fact I feel some of the comments go way too far, including the last comment that the fanbase is suffering and that the series should just die or whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calling it now: IGN will have the highest Forces review of the major outlets. If they can get past the day 1 bug/patch drama, they'll give it a 6.5, or 65%.

Eurogamer isn't going to like it much, I don't think. They've sort of hinted at that already in previous interviews.

I fear the average metascores may not reach my predictions. I've had this game between 60-70% (I think its 'okay' besides the bugs) but its looking like the lower end of 60 at best. 

*eats popcorn*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Why do we always come after critics for this when more often then not the fans dislike their portrayl just as much if not more in these recent games?

I mean.. I don't like their portrayal but I don't want them to cease to exist. I do see why they'd be annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even I think that review is a bit unduly harsh, but his criticisms aren't invalid (apart from the fact that very few of the levels are apocalyptic or destroyed). The game isn't good by its own merits, it's not as good as it's six year old predecessor and it's not as good as the authentic 2D Sonic game that came out a few months ago.

Forces is kind is destined for a critical bashing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, KHCast said:

So we gonna call bias on every negative review or...? I don't see people calling bias doing the same towards positive reviews 

When there's legitimate points to call out bias, yeah. The same way the Famitsu review was called into question because of the shaking ground it was on for the points it rewarded to Forces. 

4 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

 

You're right man! There's even photographic proof of him on the Sonic hate train!

 

Yes thank you, was already mentioned here where I apologised for jumping the gun: 

10 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I will apologise for the hate everything comment though, I was busy so I had to skim read the article, missing the compliments to further games and the fact this was primarily focused on the Switch port, which could cause a lot more negativity in terms of the game in general. It doesn't change the fact I feel some of the comments go way too far, including the last comment that the fanbase is suffering and that the series should just die or whatever.

 

3 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Even I think that review is a bit unduly harsh, but his criticisms aren't invalid (apart from the fact that very few of the levels are apocalyptic or destroyed). The game isn't good by its own merits, it's not as good as it's six year old predecessor and it's not as good as the authentic 2D Sonic game that came out a few months ago.

Forces is kind is destined for a critical bashing.

To be honest, I disagree? I mean I'm playing through the game, and the only levels that are truly apocalyptic or destroyed is Chemical Plant and City. I mean even Chemical Plant can be debated because that's re purposed into a totally different setting with the space port. I'm not sure if I'd class GHZ in that area as by all means, it's just been turned into a desert mixed with regular GHZ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KHCast said:

So we gonna call bias on every negative review or...? I don't see people calling bias doing the same towards positive reviews 

Because people get offended when you shit on things they like and try to come up with the most obnoxious excuses possible as to why their precious didn't get a grade A from the critics. For Sonic fans it's because there's this ingrained thought process that "Bad review = Sonic haters" when in reality the game probably just isn't that good and they can't handle criticism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, KHCast said:

So we gonna call bias on every negative review or...? I don't see people calling bias doing the same towards positive reviews 

There was actually a huge controversy over the Famitsu review, which was extremely positive. There was even a separate topic made about it just to reassure everybody that there was no cause for alarm that Forces might actually be good.

And here's a topic inspired by said Famitsu review. Again, the review is met with bafflement.

I'll give it to you, the Famitsu review was terrible. But I dislike the hypocrisy of how one positive review that's clearly tabloid stuff sends the board into hate and is condemned as utterly useless, but one negative review that comes off as lazy at best and clickbait at worst is seen as completely right, especially when a lot of it comes off as projecting the problems they have with the game (valid as they may be) onto what's actually in the review.

And its not impossible for somebody who is a Sonic fan to write a shitty review. Tim Turi, the writer of that godawful Sonic Generations review for Gameinformer, claims to be a hardcore Sonic fan and has evidence to prove it. Likewise, he wouldn't be the last hardcore fan to completely overreact to Sonic games not turning out so well to the point of making several statements that are, to put it charitably, stretches (Indeed, it seems to be the standard a lot of dedicated, hardcore fans).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.