Awoo.

Sonic Forces Reviews Thread

Apollo Chungus

3 minutes ago, Clewis said:

So it's not the Sonic Cycle then.

We were questioning it, but I've seen people who fell for the cycle. 

3 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

I thought we're not allowed to even mention this here, I thought that was a rule...

Well it's relevant, considering everyone's bile toward forces right now.

I can see why most critics, or even casual gamers, wouldn’t find Sonic’s friends very appealing here. It sucks because the characters finally do stuff this time, instead of just standing there cheerleading Sonic. They still screwed up though by not giving them a whole lot of personality and yes, the ongoing chatter in stages can get tiresome after a while. Really they’re only there for fan service, nothing more. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Harkofthewaa said:

We were questioning it, but I've seen people who fell for the cycle.

The cycle really hasn't been relevant for years, and I'm not seeing how it's relevant to Forces either. There's more to it than just "Sonic game is announced -> It turns out bleh".

I just don't see any reason for it to be brought up at this point, honestly. It's been made obsolete because the more "modern" batch of Sonic games have their own consistent set of problems.

9 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

I thought we're not allowed to even mention this here, I thought that was a rule...

Sorry! Please don't tell on me. :x

1 minute ago, Clewis said:

Sorry! Please don't tell on me. :x

Sorry I'm a notorious tattletale. I'm telling my mommy on you. ;)

• Chuckle 2

Destructoid review.

While I see potential in Sonic Forces, the execution just isn't there, especially with the Switch edition. In the future I really hope Sega reinvents the wheel, taking a more Mario Odyssey adventure approach. The whole level-based 3D "thing" hasn't worked out so frequently that it's worth a shot.

5.5/10 ("Mediocre")

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been away for a while and I'm really disappointed with this game. It sucks.

I was expecting the return of SA2 and Chaos, and I got a fucking terrible game.

Seems like 5-6 is the average score this is gonna be getting from critics, while, funnily enough, fans seem to be more able to look over the issues and love the thing 

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

If you already don't like Sonic's Shitty Friends, then Forces goes to absolutely no effort to make you change your mind. They appear in cutscenes to tell you the story without actually doing anything and then talk at you constantly throughout the levels. There's nothing wrong with the statement that the review is making.

Except there's an option to turn off the radio transmissions during stages, so it's not a valid complaint.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

Seems like 5-6 is the average score this is gonna be getting from critics, while, funnily enough, fans seem to be more able to look over the issues and love the thing 

Which is par for the course for a Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nah guys, maybe we should just admit that some people have valid reasons to hate Sonic's shitty friends.

They are terrible in this game, and if you think they are terrible you aren't going to think of reasons to salvage and save them. You just want them fucking gone.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Except there's an option to turn off the radio transmissions during stages, so it's not a valid complaint.

One could argue you don't need to use the Wispons to clear the Avatar stages, does that suddenly mean criticisms about the janky movements about Wispons weapons like the Drill and Lightning Wispons are suddenly irrelevant?

That aside, radio transmissions are also turned on by default. So optional or not, Sonic Team designed the game so that most people are going to encounter them anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Well,  more like they can enjoy the game while acknowledging the flaws.

Just now, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

I think that's a more likely scenario, yeah.

It does seem like some people don't think it's possible to enjoy a game while also acknowledging parts of it that they don't like.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, FriesWithoutKetchup said:

It does seem like some people don't think it's possible to enjoy a game while also acknowledging parts of it that they don't like.

When the whole game is one big flaw for me, there's not much left to like about it.

4 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

Indeed....until they get on peoples cases for NOT liking the game. IE. The Sonic Forces Defense Squad. The S.F.D.S. Those who basically attacked anyone who pointed out flaws of the game. Seriously this is Rise of Lyric all over again in preception, release, and reception.

1 minute ago, FriesWithoutKetchup said:

It depends on how numerous the "don't like" parts are.

If the game is constantly fighting with you on the controls and the dialogue is annoying, you're fighting an uphill battle to extract enjoyment of out it.

Not to say that one can't. But in neutral circumstances, most people aren't going to like fighting against the game design in order to find enjoyment out of it. That's an indication that it isn't good.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

It's more or less what I said with slightly different wording, but sure. You can acknowledge and still look over in your mind flaws if you're enjoying the thing 

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

If you already don't like Sonic's Shitty Friends, then Forces goes to absolutely no effort to make you change your mind. They appear in cutscenes to tell you the story without actually doing anything and then talk at you constantly throughout the levels. There's nothing wrong with the statement that the review is making.

And? So it’s fine for a review to be lazily written just because the opinion happens to coincide with the majority?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Indeed....until they get on peoples cases for NOT liking the game. IE. The Sonic Forces Defense Squad. The S.F.D.S. Those who basically attacked anyone who pointed out flaws of the game. Seriously this is Rise of Lyric all over again in preception, release, and reception.

I don't doubt this is happening at all, but is it that common?

Just now, SenEDDtor Missile said:

And? So it’s fine for a review to be lazily written just because the opinion happens to coincide with the majority?

No, it's fine for someone to want Sonic's shitty friends to be gone when they are shitty in the game.

You aren't going to think "how can I make these shitty friends a little less shitty", you think, "let's get rid of these shitty friends that ruin the game".

Kind of amusing that the game's focus is one, big illusion. It almost gave the illusion that there was hope for the Sonic series. But then it all came crashing down.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 3

Ah man.  I still hope for more positive reviews. I'm afraid if this flops, we might not see Shadow playable again or his friends anymore or the return of Baldy McNoseHair....