Awoo.

Sonic Forces Reviews Thread

Apollo Chungus

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

Oh I've been there. And sadly you're coming off as the vice versa counterpart to them. What's disappointing is that in response to me acknowledging that people can very appreciate this game while acknowledging its flaws, you felt the need to come quoting it about some other band of people as if to use to strip positive fan reception.

It's also just distasteful and annoying, like if you reminded someone who noted that fans are negative "Well there have been people who attacked folk who like the game". It's common knowledge that such people exist. Bringing it up in the context you did, just seems to be trying to fan the flames.

And for the record, a lot of the quotes you used were pre-release anyway. WHat's that got to do with fans speaking positively of the game after its release? Are you going to next suggest that they were peer pressured into doing it? There really was no point trying to drag it down like that.

They're fine. It's just the people who hate when others say one bad thing about the game are not. And of course people are going to bash the game more than ever now because it appears to be getting that treatment critically. I ain't trying to take down positive reception.

And I'm sure the vice versa of those attacking people who like it exist too, but they're not nearly as vocal.

If you were there during the Rise of Lyric cycle, you should already know exactly what fans will do. Everything else has pretty much matched the Rise of Lyric cycle from pre release to post release.

Not really surprised by scores here. Still, I think the reviews that gave it lower than a 5 were a bit too harsh for a game like forces. Oh well I still wanna try the game out someday. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, dbzfan7 said:

If you were there during the Rise of Lyric cycle, you should already know exactly what fans will do. Everything else has pretty much matched the Rise of Lyric cycle from pre release to post release.

I don't pretend to know anything based off of a different event. And again, so what? What does that have to do with the fans who are giving Forces positive reception??

2 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

They're fine. It's just the people who hate when others say one bad thing about the game are not.

Kinda goes without saying. So what's your explanation for following up my observation of the positivity with it?

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

I think he just wears the hats indoors for the sake of his Youtube persona. Kinda like Nostalgia Critic or Linkara.

But those were 2D though. I think the question was whether it's monetarily feasible to make full 3D boost games on the side.

I think the issue comes down to team management, budget and direction. Force's problem is that they took 2 years to develop the Hedgehog Engine 2 and 2 years to develop the game(from what I know. Correct me otherwise). In 2 years it took the team to make Sonic Unleashed. Still looks amazing today, even rivaling Forces.

Generations took 4 years in development but a lot of that time seems to be from the difficulties of Classic Sonic working with the physics engine of the game since it only fit modern sonic.

Forces doesn't have any of that. Shorter/noobie staff, not a good leader to help the staff define/improve sonic and they blew the budget all on Visuals(everything else besides the level design lol).

They honestly could do a fully 3D title. If Sega could manage the team right that is...

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

I don't pretend to know anything based off of a different event. And again, so what? What does that have to do with the fans who are giving Forces positive reception??

Kinda goes without saying. So what's your explanation for following up my observation of the positivity with it?

Because it means people will once again attack others for saying the game is bad post release, death threats to reviewers, and all that jazz again.

To sum it up, have whatever opinion ya want as long as you don't go bugging someone about their own opinion whether positive or negative. There's status updates here with people who like the game. I ain't gonna bother em, let them have their fun.

Feels good to see the game getting such bad reviews. I hope Sonic Team cries themselves to sleep.

I really do hope it bombs so they have to seriously rethink 3D Sonic.  I just want better for the series. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

42 minutes ago, Razule said:

I dunno man, I don't like the way he wears hats in doors

Budget and staff-wise, they can't afford to make two stylea of 3D Sonic games at once.

Who says both styles of 3D Sonic have to be by the same studio? Sega can pick another studio/division to handle the Boost gameplay, while they task yet another studio/division to tackle a traditional 3D Sonic playstyle. Emphasis on getting other teams for the two playstyles, because I think it's clear Lost World and Forces both demonstrate Sonic Team can neither produce a good traditional 3D Sonic game or a good Boost 3D Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Because it means people will once again attack others for saying the game is bad post release, death threats to reviewers, and all that jazz again.

Because of positive fan reception? That's really not a fair reason if we're just talking about the fears of such potential happening, which let's be clear, on the internet is as likely as rain in Britain. Again, from both sides of the conflict. That's no cause for alarm with it, let alone from that of all things. I get wanting to be cautionary, but apply it to EVERYONE not just one side.

14 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

To sum it up, have whatever opinion ya want as long as you don't go bugging someone about their own opinion whether positive or negative. There's status updates here with people who like the game. I ain't gonna bother em, let them have their fun.

See now, this one would've gotten the job done all nice and clean.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

Because of positive fan reception? That's really not a fair reason if we're just talking about the fears of such potential happening, which let's be clear, on the internet is as likely as rain in Britain. Again, from both sides of the conflict. That's no cause for alarm with it, let alone from that of all things. I get wanting to be cautionary, but apply it to EVERYONE not just one side.

See now, this one would've gotten the job done all nice and clean.

No I think you misunderstand. When reviewers said bad things about Rise of Lyric, a vocal amount of Sonic fans attacked them and sent death threats. This is more about negativity being spawned by not positively liking something. I hope this doesn't happen again, but it happened only 3 years ago, and could very well happen again.

16 minutes ago, Mark1 said:

It's a very dated formula which has shown no signs of improvement from 6 years ago, which in itself couldn't do much to improve on the Unleashed stages.

The boost gameplay is starting to show its age more, but for some reason they've made Sonic control worse. And Sonic Team decided to use a team with no previous Sonic experience to create very bland and boring design. The style was fun in Generations, but it's quite literally forced out all over here.

The graphics are the only thing this game has going for it. And that it started bringing back other playable characters again.

Forces feels like nothing has been learned since thef Heroes - Sonic '06 era.

Edit: Generations was a game with love and creativity put into it, and would happily place it above most, if not all, the 3D Sonic games. I have very little to no interest to play this.

I disagree slightly. Seaside hill is the most genuine improvement when it comes to open boost stages. As an Unleashed fan, it's the only biggest improvement to the boost formula and 3D sonic in general. 

Boost Gameplay should have been advanced to the next level after Unleashed. It wasn't...As usual. Colors fucked it all up no matter how good that game is received.. It ruined the image of boost. What is more sad is that the Boost formula got better after Colors. Generations did a lot of work to try and make the gameplay better but it wasn't good as World Adventure(Worse physics, levels that don't have a sense of consistent flow, tacked on 2D sections and lacking in a shit ton of content compared to Sonic World Adventures. 39 Modern/39 Werehog(I know it's 78 but I think Sonic has more of the ratio towards himself), hubworlds, missions and multiple collectibles.

Although you make quite a point. Forces shows how the formula has grown stale because it couldn't improve but regress itself 2 now. TWICE.

That is how I feel about Mania. While Mania is the opposite, the formula it uses for Classic Sonic made me a little bored of his gameplay. Doesn't excite me nor interest me as much as it did way back with 3K.

1 hour ago, JosepHenry said:

About that....

I got a glimpse at Ted's (Johnny's friend from BrainScratchComms) stream of Forces.....

And Johnny said that his review will be a salt overdose, and Heroes is better. And he doesn't like Heroes at all.

OOF.

tumblr_m6i7e5zkZv1qcjgde.gif

Aww yeah. SomecallmeJohnny’s reviews are always a treat to watch, so I’m looking forward to this one. 

I remember him saying in either his Sonic Boom or SLW review that he was hoping whatever Sonic Team was working on next would bring Sonic back to greatness again. That...hurts.

• Thumbs Up 3

24 minutes ago, speedfreak said:

Feels good to see the game getting such bad reviews. I hope Sonic Team cries themselves to sleep.

I really do hope it bombs so they have to seriously rethink 3D Sonic.  I just want better for the series. 

We're all hoping for that but I'm not sure it's what we're gonna get. 

It seems more likely that if this game bombs critically (it's well on its way to doing that now) and sells 'okay' like '06 did, SEGA may not green light another 3D title for a while. Which would be a damn shame of course, because the problem is with their silly management and Sonic Team's lack of competency with its own bread and butter franchise.

3 hours ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

"As usual for a modern Sonic game, there are far too many of his scattered menagerie chipping in with advice when the vast majority of them would be more appealing as roadkill." -LastLife Reviewer

This is the only thing he said in regards to the friends that I found. No critical thought, no ways to improve them, NOTHING.

Shit like this is why I don’t take critics seriously. All of them who just want Sonic in the spotlight can play Sonic 4 on an endless loop for all I care.

• Fist Bump 1

30 minutes ago, speedfreak said:

I tried to give this game the benoof the doubt but it’s clear to me that Sonic Team can’t get its shit together. It’s time for them to hit the road.

2 hours ago, Plasme said:

Nah guys, maybe we should just admit that some people have valid reasons to hate Sonic's shitty friends.

They are terrible in this game, and if you think they are terrible you aren't going to think of reasons to salvage and save them. You just want them fucking gone.

They had it their way for a long time. Let them suffer.

• Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

3 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

They had it their way for a long time. Let them suffer.

That's a selfish way of thinking. How about they use a select few per game instead of flooding the game with them and having them talk nonstop?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Balding Spider said:

That's a selfish way of thinking. How about they use a select few per game instead of flooding the game with them?

They didn't though

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, Soniman said:

Why do we always come after critics for this when more often then not the fans dislike their portrayl just as much if not more in these recent games?

Because the critics are a huge reason why no one but Sonic has been playable and there are fans who grown bored of Solo Sonic and want the characters playable again. Critics be damned.

• Chuckle 1

Just now, Super Mechanio said:

Hm, hm, hm.

You know what game came out this year and not only had Sonic's friends, but let them be fully playable instead of just chiming in with interchangable radio chatter? Sonic Mania. And as you'll recall, critics loved that game.

Forces, meanwhile, is a Sonic-only game (well, plus the non-entity that is the Avatar) and the critics can't stand it.

I think the "critics are biased against Sonic's friends" mentality doesn't have a leg to stand on.

His friends were just throwaways in Mania. Didn't affect the gameplay in any way or adding new things to them. It's easy to not criticize this feature because their design were just copy n' pasted from the past games for Nostalgic effect.. As we have seen with other Nintendo titles that were more or less the same yet get away with it.

As the saying goes; If it ain't broke don't fix it.

4 minutes ago, Balding Spider said:

That's a selfish way of thinking. How about they use a select few per game instead of flooding the game with them and having them talk nonstop?

Why is it selfish that I’m tired of Solo Sonic and want other characters playable?

What’s truly selfish is keeping the games so stagnant that we might as well never buy any new games if nothing changes.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

I think Sonic Team should keep their jobs but be taken off the main series. Let them make the games for the fans that only care about their favorite character inclusion and his/her stories, gameplay be damned. They can focus on that and not be burdened with having to create an excellent game that almost anyone can enjoy and then pander to that niche crowd and make money for the company. So basically, keep Sonic Team in Japan where Sonic isn't important and reduce their standing to experimental stuff that already has a following.

And then promote Team Mania and  give them a support team to do the big 3D titles. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

1 minute ago, knuckles20 said:

Why is it selfish that I’m tired of Solo Sonic and want other characters playable?

What’s truly selfish is keeping the games so stagnant that we might as well never buy any new games if nothing changes.

Your post was just short of 'Screw 'em, I want mine.'

There's nothing wrong with wanting more characters but Sonic Team keep inserting them in the worst ways possible. They just chatter on and on throughout the level telling you stuff you already know. And Sonic Team's been making them do that for countless games. If they aren't being shoehorned in new gameplay style, they're overloading the player with chatter.

• Thumbs Up 1