Awoo.

Sonic Forces Reviews Thread

Apollo Chungus

55 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

I wish there was a simple level select, instead of this crowded 360 degree globe.

Look for a button prompt on the right side of the screen. That should slide out a list-style stage select.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Yeah just...I don't get why he wouldn't compare classicto Mania, and hold it to that standard. He had no problem discussing physics and level design when talkin about Mania. He says nothing about Classic here outside "it's 2D, and it's the best part of the game." Okay, why? He says all these things he likes but never goes into the what's or whys, nor does he address the issues fans have more than likely brought up to him about the game. 

Oh, and going into the comments on that vid is a hoot btw. Anyone sharing their views on why it's not great to them are being labeled "unpleasable sonic fans", and Jim's being touted as the only "fair and trust worthy" critic to the game 

He does say near the start mania this is not. And as for the comments which I'm reading at work when you come in a simply say the game sucks or he has no idea what he is talking about of course his base will label those people as such. He came in with a review and was not on a bandwagon for either side  he just enjoyed what he played.

We can do better than acting like SU fans

PlayStation LifeStyle: 8/10, "Best Sonic Game In Years"

There’s a moment early on in Sonic Forces where Sonic says that it’s “not time for thinking. It’s time for running.” Not only does he perfectly describe his series’ design philosophy, he also sets the blueprint for who will enjoy this game. If you’re willing to turn your brain off for a few hours, and just take in the pure spectacle that is watching hundreds of Sonic characters fighting on a battlefield during a cutscene, then you’ll find a lot to enjoy here. It’s a really dumb game at its core, but it’s also just pure fun in a well-meaning, lighthearted package.

Positives: Levels provide incredible spectacle; story is definitely so bad it's fantastic; modern Sonic stages here are really fun

Negatives: 2D levels are disappointing; sometimes focuses on too much on precision platforming; levels sometimes feel limited

• Nice Smile 1

22 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

He's won me over. Gotta check his stuff out now.

Dunkey  is great but his reviews are in general poor. There are some where he puts effort into them but he barely shows anything in the game and doesn't explain why it's bad. It's all fluff and no substance.

Thankfully they are called "dunkviews" and not actual evaluations of the game. It is funny as hell though...

unknown.png

Obviously, the review score is subject to change as more reviews come in, but currently Forces isn't even 10 points away from Sonic 06's average.

I don't expect its score to increase dramatically as more critics submit their scores, honestly. When it's all said and done, this game's final average will almost certainly be in the 50s.

• Thumbs Up 3

People saying it takes 10 to 12 hours to beat this game... How is that possible? I played on hard and beat the game in like 3 hours and I did side missions as I went.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, Sr101 said:

People saying it takes 10 to 12 hours to beat this game... How is that possible? I played on hard and beat the game in like 3 hours and I did side missions as I went.

They were probably collecting Red Rings and costumes for the Avatar.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I think it's probably worth stepping back and looking at the legacy '06 and ShTH have for being offensive in just about every possible way. Forces will never leave such a stain on the series history; Sonic isn't as big as it was in 2005/6, it's getting praise for at least one feature (the avatar, however much I may personally dislike it) and the fact that it's at least functional. There's a big difference between a game that's not very good and a game that's incomplete and broken. Forces is like a poor version of game that many people will agree wasn't bad.

Got to say that I'm feeling very mixed emotions over Forces reception. I think it's tripe, so seeing it get trashed is kind of pleasing. Critics are generally targeting the same issues that we've been highlighting for months too, so it's nice the "naysayers" are all on a similar wavelength. On the flipside though, I'm still really disappointed to see that Sonic sucks again. Generations and Colours weren't perfect and I don't think that a straight up Generations 2 (aka Forces but good) would have been enough to cut it. It would have been received warmly, even if not heralded as a great game.. Lost World is no longer just a blip and Boom can't really be ignored as just a mere side title either. Sonic's good streak of two games has come to an end, and Mania is now the critically acclaimed blip.

It's a damn shame. Maybe I'd be feeling more positive about this is I had any faith in Sonic Team and SEGA to deliver a good Sonic game of their own. Mania 2 or bust.

I don't feel this way at all. I had fun with 06 and it didn't feel broken like everybody says, just incomplete. Similarly with Lost World, I was able to 100% that game and enjoy myself for most of it. I'm not sure if anyone has gotten 100% in this game yet, but I feel that it would be close to Impossible with the awful gameplay and controls offered here. Like I said I had fun with 06 and I really had no fun at all with this game.

06 had big sprawling levels to explore with decent designs and amazing music. The physics were all screwed up, but not in an irritating way in my opinion. It was wrong but it felt right. This game is not like that at all, it's no fun, irritating to play because of the controls and physics, and the levels are boring straight and short to the point of being one minute in some cases. 06 gets a bad rap because it's a meme, but it really isn't anywhere nearly as bad as this game

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

He does say near the start mania this is not. And as for the comments which I'm reading at work when you come in a simply say the game sucks or he has no idea what he is talking about of course his base will label those people as such. He came in with a review and was not on a bandwagon for either side  he just enjoyed what he played.

We can do better than acting like SU fans

He's talking about the overall game, not classic sonic when referencing Mania. He can enjoy it, I've said that's not my problem. My problem is the lack of detail, much like how a lot of people were shitting on that negative review yesterday because it wasn't detailed about why he felt the way he did.

Also what? I've seen thoroughly detailed yet respectful comments on that video on why they disagree with him, only to be called fanboys or unpleasable. i haven't seen many "lol this games sucks llolol" comments 

Also dunkeys review was pretty detailed and explained his problems so again, why are we acting like he's just thrashing the game for the luls? 

1 minute ago, Sr101 said:

I don't feel this way at all. I had fun with 06 and it didn't feel broken like everybody says, just incomplete. Similarly with Lost World, I was able to 100% that game and enjoy myself for most of it. I'm not sure if anyone has gotten 100% in this game yet, but I feel that it would be close to Impossible with the awful gameplay and controls offered here. Like I said I had fun with 06 and I really had no fun at all with this game.

06 had big sprawling levels to explore with decent designs and amazing music. The physics were all screwed up, but not in an irritating way in my opinion. It was wrong but it felt right. This game is not like that at all, it's no fun, irritating to play because of the controls and physics, and the levels are boring straight and short to the point of being one minute in some cases. 06 gets a bad rap because it's a meme, but it really isn't anywhere nearly as bad as this game

It's great that you feel that way (and I personally like Lost World more than most on here too) but '06 is fairly objectively broken. You might enjoy the game and disagree with it's criticisms, which you're allowed to do. People at large take issue with the way that the game plays, citing it as broken because it's so easy for it to glitch out and for things to go wrong. 

To most people, I don't think this game is going to present as badly as '06. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

He's talking about the overall game, not classic sonic when referencing Mania. He can enjoy it, I've said that's not my problem. My problem is the lack of detail, much like how a lot of people were shitting on that negative review yesterday because it wasn't detailed about why he felt the way he did.

Also what? I've seen thoroughly detailed yet respectful comments on that video on why they disagree with him, only to be called fanboys or unpleasable. i haven't seen many "lol this games sucks llolol" comments 

Also dunkeys review was pretty detailed and explained his problems so again, why are we acting like he's just thrashing the game for the luls? 

I don't know who dunkey is I was referring to jim I've seen most his rants on stuff over the years ha. Ah I though he was referring to just classic

Also I've seen a mixed bag of comments. I also like reading through big comment reply post on the top. You'll see some of those hate ones in those

Yeah Forces is not looking to be as badly portrayed as ‘06. Mainly because it sticks to a similar style to previously successful games like Colours and Generations, as well as the inclusion of Classic Sonic.

To the casual gamers they will likely just see this as Generations 2.

34 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

unknown.png

Obviously, the review score is subject to change as more reviews come in, but currently Forces isn't even 10 points away from Sonic 06's average.

I don't expect its score to increase dramatically as more critics submit their scores, honestly. When it's all said and done, this game's final average will almost certainly be in the 50s.

So before the whips come out I'm not defending the gsmes faults but um on that score I'd take it with a mega grain of salt. 8 critics hmm? Where are those scores from #famitsu. Playststionlifestlye those 7 and few 8s I've seen here and there.  That's why I never take meta seriously cause it's literally grabbing the reviews or want

ss or are submitted to it.  

Youtubers seem to like the game and be pretty forgiving of it. 

Negatives

-short levels 

-bad story

-linear

-difficulty is on the easy side

Positives 

-It's fast like Sonic was "meant to be"

-character creator 

overall

if you wanna go fast and breeze through, you'll enjoy it. Skip if you want challenge.

A lot of youtubers reviewing it really don't seem to be comparing the game to other titles.(like Mania, Gens, adventure, etc) or bringing up the control and feel of the characters. I guarantee if they did, they'd be a bit more critical towards it.

14 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

So before the whips come out I'm not defending the gsmes faults but um on that score I'd take it with a mega grain of salt. 8 critics hmm? Where are those scores from #famitsu. Playststionlifestlye those 7 and few 8s I've seen here and there.  That's why I never take meta seriously cause it's literally grabbing the reviews or want

ss or are submitted to it.  

'K, let's check OpenCritic with 15 critics.

image.thumb.png.3186b454aaf6a5e74d4cecd690f1fc67.png

http://opencritic.com/game/4793/sonic-forces

Oh, right. There's not some Metacritic conspiracy, the game's just a bit naff apparently. 

• Thumbs Up 9

29 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

'K, let's check OpenCritic with 15 critics.

image.thumb.png.3186b454aaf6a5e74d4cecd690f1fc67.png

http://opencritic.com/game/4793/sonic-forces

Oh, right. There's not some Metacritic conspiracy, the game's just a bit naff apparently. 

Add onto those TSS and TSSZ whose scores don't go to either of those sites.

The only conspiracy here is that Sega didn't send out review codes to major outlets and started to pull footage of legaly bought copies of the game... It's as if they knew it wasn't very good.

• Thumbs Up 7

13 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Youtubers seem to like the game and be pretty forgiving of it. 

Negatives

-short levels 

-bad story

-linear

-difficulty is on the easy side

Positives 

-It's fast like Sonic was "meant to be"

-character creator 

overall

if you wanna go fast and breeze through, you'll enjoy it. Skip if you want challenge.

A lot of youtubers reviewing it really don't seem to be comparing the game to other titles.(like Mania, Gens, adventure, etc) or bringing up the control and feel of the characters. I guarantee if they did, they'd be a bit more critical towards it.

That´s why they are wrong. Sonic 1 was popular not because it was fast as it is "meant to be", but because it had an appropriate ratio of speed sections and platforming + it had maintained the flow between those. That´s what classic games and loosely Adventure series had maintained.

2 minutes ago, superman43 said:

That´s why they are wrong. Sonic 1 was popular not because it was fast as it is "meant to be", but because it had an appropriate ratio of speed sections and platforming + it had maintained the flow between those. That´s what classic games and loosely Adventure series had maintained.

If that's their opinion why does it matter see that's the issue with the sonic fandom no side wants to be wrong. If someone thinks to themselves sonic was always fast let them same for people that think RE lost it's way cause capcom doesn't stick a zombie in a corner every game

5 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

If that's their opinion why does it matter see that's the issue with the sonic fandom no side wants to be wrong. If someone thinks to themselves sonic was always fast let them same for people that think RE lost it's way cause capcom doesn't stick a zombie in a corner every game

There's opinions, and then there's misinformation/misunderstanding. Saying sonic was meant to be fast blasting through boosh, is only partially true. And when you're a big influencer on youtuber, spreading that "information" can be shitty.

• Thumbs Up 3