Awoo.

Sonic Forces Reviews Thread

Apollo Chungus

3 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

You're missing what I'm saying though.

In Unleashed, Eggman didn't own that landmass before building Eggmanland on it.

In Forces, Eggman owns most of the planet and decides to just wreck his own empire anyway - just so he can conquer it all over again. It makes no sense

Okay, lets say in Unleashed Eggman takes over by force that area and now owns it. Similar to the Forces approach. He then destroys it to build Eggmanland. Does that make sense? 

3 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Okay, lets say in Unleashed Eggman takes over by force that area and now owns it. Similar to the Forces approach. He then destroys it to build Eggmanland. Does that make sense? 

Not really, no.

Why would he need to conquer a territory before destroying it if that's his plan? What's the point of that extra step?

If he just wants to destroy it, he can do that with robots, missiles, or probably even by just parking the Egg Carrier on it. There's no point in taking over, establishing infrastructure, and then tearing it all down just so he can build over it after all that work.

Eggman taking over an occupied country and changing it to his image as ruler makes sense. Eggman destroying it as an outside invader and building on its ruins also makes sense. Combining these two approaches does not make sense.

1 minute ago, Balding Spider said:

If he wasn't effected by the Ruby's power, then how would he have even been able to see it? All of that was an illusion right?

I dunno, I figure any controllers of illusions can still see their own illusions.

Doesn't really explain how both Infinite and Eggman could see it, though. Maybe they were connected since Eggman is essentially using Infinite as a tool or something.

4 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

Why would he need to conquer a territory before destroying it if that's his plan? What's the point of that extra step?

Because it's simpler and insures less resistance? Like when those hammy action movies have the bad guy become president of the United States, and then they reconstruct the country in his image. Would be easier to do it that way than by force.

Not really, no.

If he just wants to destroy it, he can do that with robots, missiles, or probably even by just parking the Egg Carrier on it. There's no point in taking over, establishing infrastructure, and then tearing it all down just so he can build over it after all that work.

Again you can own land with property from a take over but if you want that hold course those buildings will need to come down eventually

5 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Because it's simpler and insures less resistance? Like when those hammy action movies have the bad guy become president of the United States, and then they reconstruct the country in his image. Would be easier to do it that way than by force 

You can't exactly resist a missile or a giant laser cannon or a sun though.

To use your analogy, that's like someone becoming president of the United States just so they can nuke their own country and build over it. There are easier ways for someone to destroy a country from the outside than going through all the trouble to become its official leader first.

Again, Eggman taking over the world and changing it to his own image - while still keeping the world he conquered intact - makes sense.

Eggman destroying it all to build over it, as an alternative approach, also makes sense.

But combining these two approaches - where Eggman goes through the trouble of subjegating the world just to blow everyone away with the sun anyway, feels incredibly nonsensical and absolutely disjointed.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

I dunno, I figure any controllers of illusions can still see their own illusions.

Doesn't really explain how both Infinite and Eggman could see it, though. Maybe they were connected since Eggman is essentially using Infinite as a tool or something.

Its aizen logic. His team knew what they saw wasn't real but others couldn't cause the illusions were real to them

Just now, Radiant Hero Ike said:

I can explain this, Bad writing. This happens all the time when writers introduce an all powerful device and forget to set limits on it. They don't introduce rules and it makes less sense the more you think about it.

• Thumbs Up 6

2 hours ago, Meta77 said:

I've been seeing lots of YouTube reviewers enjoying the game. While many admit it's not perfect I'm amaz3d by the amount of gamers actually enjoying the game and giving it some praise. And it's gerting way more than 06 ever did. If you didnt like than sorry. If you did good for you but from most I'm seeing it's pretty much doing somewhat well.

The funniest thing though are people like jim and others who have to have a thesis on hand for what made them say they enjoyed  what they played from people who can't grasp maybe a lot out there don't see it as trash and liked it. But still want it to improve.  basically GO summed it up best with its not perfect but that they enjoyed what they played and it's not where 3d games should be but it's getting there

I've been seeing this too, but on Twitter, where people also show their intentionally ugly characters.

I'm not saying the game has flaws, but I see a lot of people not being so upset about them

I think the implication is that he wants to destroy the world, so he can build over it with robots and stuff. Considering the "robotomy" thing in that ad. But.. I thought he still wanted to have people to rule over..?

11 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

You can't exactly resist a missile or a giant laser cannon or a sun though.

To use your analogy, that's like someone becoming president of the United States just so they can nuke their own country and build over it. There are easier ways for someone to destroy a country from the outside than going through all the trouble to become its official leader first.

For the record, I'm not refereeing to nuking or the sun. That's an extreme I'll agree. I'm referring specifically to building Eggmanland, his dream, whether he does it by force or not. Eggman by force took over the world, but his dream is to create Eggmanland. Why rule over something if you can't have your face everywhere? So he sends robots and shit to start reconstructing/taking down buildings, eliminating any that resist him. Given we've seen those PA's where eggman is offering food and water and breathable air to those that follow him, I doubt he actually wants to destroy all life.

back to the Unleashed example, maybe there were people that lived where Eggmanland was. Eggman could have taken them out as they were resisting, and took over by force that area. He still gained control of it. Why would it not make sense to after, build the thing he's wanted to build?

Well now that I've beaten the game I'll give my impressions.

1. Music is great. Possibly the best thing about the game

2. The level design isn't horrible. Just not as good as per say Unleashed or Genz.

3. Visually the game good good. Death egg takes the cake. (which ironically had the best level design in my opinion)

4. I actually like the Avatar. The customization was good, and with the inclusion of SOAP shoes won me over.

5. Why the hell is Classic/Mania sonic here? You really don't need 2 Sonics when you have Sonic and Shadow in the same game.

6. The controls in 2D takes time to get use to. Still not as responsible and flexible as Unleashed or genz.

7. Too many short levels. Not enough length in these levels. This is heavily targeted at M. Sonic, Shadow and Avatar. Mania Sonic can dodge this in most of it's stages.

8. Lacking boss fights. Is it that hard to make a good Boss fight in the boost formula? I mean damn. And the final boss was awful.

9. English dub was surprising good. Best job Roger has done so far. Tails is a bitch. Shadow sounds good. And this is the Knuckles we need.

Summary....This is not a bad game. It really had potential to be GREAT. But get rid of IIZUKA. And most of Sonic Team. They suck at level design, and this whole 75% 2D 25% 3D gameplay is hurting Modern Sonic games. We don't want 2D all the time. We want 3D! And build better, open world stages! Not hallways.

6.5/10. Most of this score goes to the audio and visuals.  

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

For the record, I'm not refereeing to nuking or the sun. That's an extreme I'll agree. I'm referring specifically to building Eggmanland, his dream, whether he does it by force or not. Eggman by force took over the world, but his dream is to create Eggmanland. Why rule over something if you can't have your face everywhere? So he sends robots and shit to start reconstructing/taking down buildings, eliminating any that resist him. Given we've seen those PA's where eggman is offering food and water and breathable air to those that follow him, I doubt he actually wants to destroy all life.

Yeah, what you're describing makes sense, but that's not what happened in the game.

Eggman says, literally, that he wants to destroy the entire world and rebuild on its ashes. Now, I can't think of anything "world" could mean other than, well, the world. Something that goes far beyond simply doing a little redecorating of his already-conquered territory. It's also something that doesn't necessitate already conquering the world beforehand. See what I'm saying?

• Thumbs Up 3

As far as seeing the general public not nearly as bothered by everything that's going on with the game, I feel like people (i.e., Jim Sterling) who aren't so deeply embedded into the franchise as fans, and are merely occasional observers to everything, are more likely to just kind of have fun with the general experience, no matter if it's super buggy, with a story that's super-scattered, or anything of that note. There are certain things that they won't really be looking out for, because they haven't completely been enveloped in understanding why some aspects don't work, or why something feels "off" compared to how it felt to control in previous titles, among other things. So, perhaps, this helps the more casual consumers have a better experience than someone like, say, me, who can tell just by visual observation that something is amiss, just because I've been involved with this series in such depth for a long time.

I hope that made sense. I may not have worded that right.

Also, as far as the whole Eggman droppin' the sun thing is concerned, I'm pretty much with @Super Mechanio on that one. Lazy or not, there's not really an excuse for forgetting the entire premise of the game you're writing, which has very loudly and up-front been "Eggman took over the world!" - Eggman taking over, building his empire, and then deciding that it's time to wipe everything out so he can finally build his empire is... I don't know. It'd be like if I built a tower of blocks on a square patch of grass that I claimed for myself, and after that, I felt it necessary to assert my dominance by knocking over my own stack of blocks so I could build my own stack of blocks on the patch of grass that I had already claimed and built on top of for myself a few moments ago. It's just kind of... silly.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, what you're describing makes sense, but that's not what happened in the game.

Eggman says, literally, that he wants to destroy the entire world and rebuild on its ashes. Something that goes far beyond simply doing a little redecorating of his already-conquered territory. It's also something that doesn't necessitate already conquering the world beforehand. See what I'm saying?

Your taking that word to literal he wants to destroy all the buildings and forest to build a new city and cities worldwide in his image. He doesn't want to blow up the earth

1 minute ago, Meta77 said:

Your taking that word to literal he wants to destroy all the buildings and forest to build a new city and cities worldwide in his image. He doesn't want to blow up the earth

Okay, but what's the point of conquering it all beforehand if that's his plan?

Like, does conquering those cities before burning them all down make them more susceptible to the sun or something?

You see the problem here?

• Thumbs Up 3

34 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Call me crazy but I think I have a theory on that burning plan.

Hide contents

They were in the middle of a desert right? Also, the Phantom Ruby changes someone's perception of reality. So all the people on that battlefield saw the sun coming. It would kill them as they were being controlled by the ruby right? So the rest of the world wouldn't have been targeted by the ruby at that time, only the army in the desert. So Eggman wouldn't burn the whole world, only those in that desert who are believing the sun was going to crash, while the rest of the world is unaware of it and not being controlled to believe it.

He specifically said he's going to reduce the world to ashes.

Why was the city already destroyed in Episode Shadow?

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Super Mechanio said:

Eggman says, literally, that he wants to destroy the entire world and rebuild on its ashes. Now, I can't think of anything "world" could mean other than, well, the world. Something that goes far beyond simply doing a little redecorating of his already-conquered territory. It's also something that doesn't necessitate already conquering the world beforehand. See what I'm saying?

Oh I see. You're referring to that. Yeah, I took that as he was just pushed to the extreme, and went to the extreme end in his anger and just really wanted to end Sonic and friends.

4 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

He doesn't want to blow up Sonic's world, he wants to burn it to ashes, killing everyone. Who would live in the cities?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Razule said:

He specifically said he's going to reduce the world to ashes.

Why was the city already destroyed in Episode Shadow?

I think he was just lying, building up the drama. Eggman has always been a showman, it would sound more grandiose to say everything is ash, rather than just them. That or Eggman miscalculated again, it wouldn't destroy everything like I thought. He'd brag about it destroying everything, it only destroys the Resistence and he'd go "Oh, thats less than I thought. Oh well, more for me to destroy".

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Razule said:

He doesn't want to blow up Sonic's world, he wants to burn it to ashes, killing everyone. Who would live in the cities?

The darkest part of the game would be Eggman realizing after finally getting what he wants, there's no one to bask in its glory 

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

The prisoners

ss on the death egg?